Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#51 Old 1st Nov 2010 at 10:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by laughingtoleave
Okay, so I was able to expand the apartment and all, change the windows, the doors, everything, but the problem is: when I'm done with that, and I turn off all the cheats and try to into 'live mode' it just keeps loading (that tiny circle) and it just wont change to 'live mode'.
Has anyone else experienced this?

This happens to me when I paint the section I take over. I can remove the marker fine, take out the wall between the two. But it gets hung up the moment I paint.

I'll figure it out, it's just maddening right now.

Great information in this thread. Thank you all so much for sharing!
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 1st Nov 2010 at 10:34 AM
I had that problem before, and I found out right away that whenever you delete those doors for the other tenants, when you go on live mode, it'll just stay loading. So what I did is I just left those doors there and left a little room for the other tenants >
Test Subject
#53 Old 1st Nov 2010 at 11:56 PM
Exclusteve is right. Leave the door. Just wall it off. Seems to work much better!
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 1:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bij0ux
I have the exact same problem. I'm trying to makeover a club ( in french it's Le Brightmore, so I really don't know how it is called in english ) and everytime I try to edit the floor where the club actually is, I get this:

I tried by removing the skip level marker, but it didn't changed anything.

Does anybody succeed at editing a club ?

I don't know if this will help, but I had an apartment complexe with a skip floor marker like that (above the appartment). In order for me to build on that floor I had to actually add the walls using the wall tool in build mode.
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 1:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LunyKimberly
I don't know if this will help, but I had an apartment complexe with a skip floor marker like that (above the appartment). In order for me to build on that floor I had to actually add the walls using the wall tool in build mode.

I guess you'Re right, but what I was trying for is to Edit the club, not to add a new floor It just skipped right there.
So 3 story: ground floor/entrance>this bullcrap>roof.
Bleh.

Take in consideration that I'm french and I try my best to write an understandable english :)

[ booboolalaland ] [ goodieslalaland ]
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 4th Nov 2010 at 2:25 AM
On hot tubs: use the stage tool to build a platform and place hot tub on top.
Scholar
#57 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 5:52 AM
The info on this thread has been so helpful. I am rebuilding the apts to accomodate more Sims. Wanted to give my 5 and 4 star celeb couple something lavish. Info here helped me renovate the apt at The Glass Pillar Building so it is now spacious (it was so cramped before) and also to include a hot tub and indoor pool. Here's the new floor plans and you can see where the pool and hot tub sit in the hidden room area below (on the first floor).

The second floor of the apt where the tub and pool are located within the living space

Sim having a swim after a hard day at the studio (lol, he's on level 10 so he works 3 hours a day, 3 days a week).

Going out on the town with the Mrs

The views Are why I wan to to keep them in apts in town

It's Life...there are no rules.
You can see more of my creations at www.customsims3.com
Test Subject
#58 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 4:48 PM
I have seen a lot of info about how to build the apartments (thanks! ), but what I'm having issues with so far is NPC tenants. So far I've managed to get 1 other NPC living inside the buildings I made, but most of the time I get 0 tenants. Also, I can't seem to discover a pattern in when I do get a tenant. Once I recreated the exact same building, that time I didn't get an NPC. Is there a trick to getting NPC's living in your buildings?

What I build: I have made a building with 4 floors, consisting of an apartment, elevator shaft and hallway on each floor. All hallways and elevator shafts have a public marker in them, 3 out of 4 apartments have a hidden room marker and NPC doors. The callbox and mailbox are both in the hallway on ground level, the door leading out has been set to front door.
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 5:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simblot
I have the same problem. With all the cheats on if I remove all the floor tiles all I see below is a black room. If the skip level marker is there, then I can't see it.

Anything we are missing out? Any advise please?

Same here. No marker above or below.

Maybe this type of shell can't be edited that way...?
Screenshots
Test Subject
#60 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 7:31 PM
Not all shells have multiple floors. Some only have a ground floor and a single apartment level. I do know there's at least one (but I don't remember which) that has three apartment levels.

edit*
Quote:
With all the cheats on if I remove all the floor tiles all I see below is a black room. If the skip level marker is there, then I can't see it.

Maybe it's my graphics card, but sometimes when I start editing a hidden floor, the room is so dark that the Hidden or Skip Level markers are impossible to see. If it's there, you can just scan around with your mouse until you find something to grab.
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#61 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 9:06 PM
Yeah, different shells have different numbers of usable floors. If you look at Jynx's download that I linked above, you'll see that he mentions that in some cases the game has different versions of the "same" shell, with different usable floors in them (and also small differences in art). So if you have a specific goal in mind, you might have to try different versions of the building.
Theorist
#62 Old 11th Nov 2010 at 10:10 PM
Can someone tell me whats the deal with this please.
Its a freshly plopped shell. The tallest one. You can see down inside to the area I want to claim. This darkness appears not to be due to a level skip or apartment marker (not dark enough).
That's just how the floors work in this building. Has anyone successfully edited these portions?

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Test Subject
#63 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 8:44 PM
Hi I need some help. I am trying to make an entire floor my apartment in one the buildings but even when I delete the hidden room markers the rooms remains black. What am I doing wrong?
dodgy builder
#64 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 9:41 PM
This is gonna be helpful. Why isn't it in the building section? I changed the zoning to residantial for 1 of the highrises in Bridgeport and demolished it. Then started building the staircase and lift area. Couldn't get passed the 5 story limit though, and got the cfe fiddling wrong. I'm gonna read this later, too tired now. Thank you.

I just wanna say I was planning on doing it much like in Sims2. Just wanted to test how the 5 story limit worked. I was planning on changing the lotzoning back later and then hoping for the mailbox to come back like it did in Sims2 ... ?
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#65 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 9:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Certifyed
Hi I need some help. I am trying to make an entire floor my apartment in one the buildings but even when I delete the hidden room markers the rooms remains black. What am I doing wrong?

Change the wall/floor coverings

EA used light-sucking walls and floors on the hidden areas in their buildings, for some reason (presumably related to performance issues, but I don't know how).
Test Subject
#66 Old 15th Nov 2010 at 8:18 AM
I have managed to create a penthouse over two entire floors, terrace with hot tub etc and everything is working perfectly...BUT, no NCP neighbours are moving in?! I did not alter the ground floor at all and even that NCP Apartment door is not spawning? I have checked it is set correctly bu holding CTRL + SHIFT and the "Make NPC Door" is selected but no neighbours are moving in. I have played around with it for hours and it is a shame because the massive Penthouse I made is great, is anyone else having this problem?

I am happy to take requests, you can see more of my sim buildings here at my website DIPPY DESIGNS
dodgy builder
#67 Old 15th Nov 2010 at 5:18 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 15th Nov 2010 at 5:38 PM.
I edited the moon, half moon building or something. I was able to remove the markers in the floor above the apartments floor. I removed as much as I could using the RBBIB cheat and could just pick out the marker. Now I have a public room marker by the elevator and needs to mark the door I think. Not sure how I can do that. In building or buy mode I can only pick up the door. Haven't playtested yet. I was also able to put in a hot tub on the second floor of this apartment I was building.

I also noticed that EA has a marker in the elevator or the elevator room. I need to remember that if I make my own building later.

Edit: now the building is confused as to what is the entrance. I clicked on the downstairs entrance door. Could select that as entrance or not, could not do that to the entrance to the apartment. That door I could only lock. My sim is standing down by the buildings entrance swearing lol. Now I have to make a late dinner thanks to LN.
Test Subject
#68 Old 15th Nov 2010 at 8:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Change the wall/floor coverings

EA used light-sucking walls and floors on the hidden areas in their buildings, for some reason (presumably related to performance issues, but I don't know how).

Thanks for the help! Most definitely will try this out.
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 15th Nov 2010 at 9:08 PM
Currently editing one of the highrises in Bridgeport. Called the "Off Ramp", the original Penthouse has about 4 bedrooms and 1 bath. I have been able to get 3 livable floors from it + the ground floor. What I found:

1. I activated the rbbb cheat (or deactivated it?) and I was able to skip upwards through the floors. I'm not sure if this is how this Penthouse was built or if it was due to the actual cheat. But after fiddling around with the rbbb cheat and buydebug I was able to skip upwards and found two extra floors above the one the building comes with. I guess I should also mention that I removed every object from the Penthouse and every floor tile as I though I had to "dig" for the skip level marker on the floor below, but I didn't, I was able to go one floor upwards and the skip level marker was there, I removed it and now the floors are connected (and I did this with the 3rd floor above it).

2. I believe someone mentioned that they were having issues with everything being all dark... well I had this issue too, it turns out you have to add a flat roof to the top floor. For some reason my roof is coming out of the sides of the shell and I have yet to figure out how to fix it. Maybe I built the walls outside of the area that the shell covers.

3. The elevators are a pain in the ass, 'nuff said. Make sure you move the one below before you move the one at the top.
dodgy builder
#70 Old 16th Nov 2010 at 11:44 AM
I've had the night to think about my building from yesterday. Not sure why she can't find her apartment. I clicked on the elevator downstairs and could choose the 18 floor. She then decided to go but stopped again. I have to look for the mailbox and perhaps a callbox?

Yesterday the downstairs entrance hall was strangely dark. I tried placing a public marker and some light in there. Had no effect. Then I removed the wall so it was open to the outside. Still didn't work. I haven't done any changes to the hall downstairs during my makeover. The hall is 2 floors and it's difficult to find anything in there since it so dark and narrow. Anyone have an idea what I need to do?
dodgy builder
#71 Old 16th Nov 2010 at 11:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by We are all trash
2. I believe someone mentioned that they were having issues with everything being all dark... well I had this issue too, it turns out you have to add a flat roof to the top floor. For some reason my roof is coming out of the sides of the shell and I have yet to figure out how to fix it. Maybe I built the walls outside of the area that the shell covers.

In the building I'm working on, there is a top floor and I think it is smaller then the 1 below it. I left 1 floor at the top of my creation. I have only 2 floors.

Quote:
3. The elevators are a pain in the ass, 'nuff said. Make sure you move the one below before you move the one at the top.

I know from apartment life in sims2 they can be difficult. I tried it out in a building I made from the ground myself. Was fiddling with the staircase and cfe and of cause could not build a simple elevator without entrance on top of the ground floor entrance. Probably had to have a floor between them, but because of cfe that couldn't be done. Couldn't get past 5 floor anyway, so who cares.
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 16th Nov 2010 at 3:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
In the building I'm working on, there is a top floor and I think it is smaller then the 1 below it. I left 1 floor at the top of my creation. I have only 2 floors.

I know from apartment life in sims2 they can be difficult. I tried it out in a building I made from the ground myself. Was fiddling with the staircase and cfe and of cause could not build a simple elevator without entrance on top of the ground floor entrance. Probably had to have a floor between them, but because of cfe that couldn't be done. Couldn't get past 5 floor anyway, so who cares.

Yeah, I remember the Elevators in OFB and they sucked too. I just finished editing the Ground Floor. Wow, what a pain in the arse. Its hard to place ceiling lights, anyone know how to place ceiling lights in the ground floor?

The ground floor is oddly made to cover two floors at all times, so when you place a ceiling light it automagically snaps to the top of the two floors and the light doesn't reach the bottom floor where Sims are at. I had to use A LOT of wall lights to compensate for the lack of light and windows. Anyone who has figured out the ground floor would be of great help :D

Has anyone tried to get their Sims to live on the Ground floor? It might be a good idea to keep the Butler bed down there, I think.
Forum Resident
#73 Old 16th Nov 2010 at 7:31 PM
For lights on the ground floor of a two-floor area, I think most people fake it by placing the lights where they look good, and then putting in the WA buy-debug invisible lights underneath the placed lights so that there IS light on the ground floor, without it looking stupid.
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#74 Old 16th Nov 2010 at 10:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by We are all trash
The ground floor is oddly made to cover two floors at all times, so when you place a ceiling light it automagically snaps to the top of the two floors and the light doesn't reach the bottom floor where Sims are at. I had to use A LOT of wall lights to compensate for the lack of light and windows.

Hmm, I had no problem lighting the ground floor with ceiling lights :O Maybe the lighting model depends on the graphics settings you're using? I've been able to do it with two-story spaces in regular houses too.

And you CAN put in windows -- particularly if you don't mind the windows on the inside not matching the windows on the outside of the shell The shells are one-sided meshes (mostly, though I have found a couple of areas where windows will be blocked when viewed from the inside), which means they're only visible when outside looking in.

But the invisible lights from WA are a great suggestion too, hadn't thought of that
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 17th Nov 2010 at 3:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by skmt999
For lights on the ground floor of a two-floor area, I think most people fake it by placing the lights where they look good, and then putting in the WA buy-debug invisible lights underneath the placed lights so that there IS light on the ground floor, without it looking stupid.

I didn't know we had invisible lights :o Will try next time I run the game. Thank you. I will also take pics of my Penthouse.
Locked thread | Locked by: Don Babilon Reason: Say No! to thread necromancy.
Page 3 of 6