Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#51 Old 5th Feb 2005 at 8:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bethnrandy
i would love see more shiny, reflective clothes!!otaku0015 could i see a pik of your clothes??

sure, i have a thread for you to download it on this fourm.
Screenshots

Lord_Kyair, Back from the Dead
<----- previously known as otaku0015
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#52 Old 6th Feb 2005 at 4:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by semloh
While your at it, some way to add or delete MATD file list entries would be nice

Since some of us are being reflectivity nuts a option to 'add reflective fields' to the MATD would be nice :D
Test Subject
#53 Old 6th Feb 2005 at 6:08 AM Last edited by Vaelon : 6th Feb 2005 at 6:09 AM. Reason: Forgot to add file
Default What am I doing wrong?
Ok, I give up. I've been messin' with this for about 4 hours now and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. :fight: Can some one with more experience take a look at this package and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
Attached files:
File Type: zip  ShinyBodyStocking.zip (283.5 KB, 78 downloads) - View custom content

#54 Old 6th Feb 2005 at 6:29 AM
kool ; i'll chk it out!! if you can try more colors??and thank you for responding!!otaku0015
Test Subject
Original Poster
#55 Old 6th Feb 2005 at 6:45 AM
I've submitted the finished latex suits to the download forums.. here's a sneak preview (note: even BLACK is shining like it's freshly polished..)
Screenshots
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#56 Old 6th Feb 2005 at 4:16 PM
Good job, Rosco

I was using a sort of swirly rainbow-colored image as a reflection map to create an irridescent effect. It really looked pretty good. You might try something like that. Also a black and white "noise" pattern would create a glitter effect. There's a lot to try.

RG
Feeder of Cheesecake to Llamas
retired moderator
#57 Old 6th Feb 2005 at 5:14 PM
Lovely, Rosco. I'm going to take a look at those, myself.

"Living well is the best revenge. . ." George Bernard Shaw
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 6th Feb 2005 at 9:11 PM
They look really cool Rosco. Definately a must have for me.
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 5:07 AM Last edited by vindrus : 9th Feb 2005 at 12:08 AM.
This thread has been educational, took what I learned here and instead of making shiny skins or shiny clothes, I made a shiny set of sheets. Nice effect. They are posted in the beta comfort recolors.

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=43341
Test Subject
#60 Old 8th Feb 2005 at 2:12 AM
Is there a way to apply this affect to lipstick or eyes? :Pimp:
#61 Old 8th Feb 2005 at 3:41 PM
faliure2allsims,

I see you found this thread. I was just about to direct you to it in your Request thread.

This should work for eyes the exact same way as for bodies, but it probably will not for lipstick, although you can experiment. It doesn't work for transparency on clothing where the skin tone is supposed to show through, but it does work for hair. So I don't know. You can try it out and tell us.

RG
Test Subject
#62 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 12:39 AM
I really wish I understood all of this.. I wanna make Rocky from the Rocky Horror Picture Show, and his boots and undies are metallic.. Hell, he's kida shiny too..

DOH! waitaminit... I could just let the shine bleed to the whole skin for that freshly oiled bodybuilder look. Hey Rosco, if ya get the laytex bodysuits and masks to work for guys, let me know. Maybe I can get Rocky to work that way too. I feel like I'm remedial, but I just don't get all the hacking in SimPE stuff. I used to feel so smart when I could hack in Catz2.*Durrr...*
Test Subject
#63 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 12:40 AM
Never mind me.. just subscribing to the thread..
Test Subject
#64 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 11:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosco
Wekk, I'm getting close on getting this to work on clothing....

- pulled the material description out of the 'hello kitty' one to work with
- pulled it into the package on the body suit I'm working on
- trial and error changed the references in the MATD to match the new texture maps

LO AND BEHOLD! It SHINES! even black!

I am totally new to SimPE. How do you "pull" material descriptions out of one package and "pull" it into another one?
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 12th Feb 2005 at 2:13 AM Last edited by wrolyat : 12th Feb 2005 at 2:22 AM.
I followed the tutorial and all, but when I opened up the textures in SimPe, I scrolled down to the 17th one and it said "reflect to the right x2." I figured that that must mean that this is a texture to reflect so I copied the name and put it in for the value in the base texture, commited and saved everything. I then opened up bs and looked at my custom clothes I created, but no reflection nor any "shiney" part to it? Can bs just not render that kind of graphic or what. BTW I am getting ready to test it in the game so then I will see if it worked.

Didn't work.
Test Subject
#66 Old 12th Feb 2005 at 2:15 AM
So, do you need SimPE to make the reflections?
Thanks. Please note I'm not trying to be stupid or ignorant, as I know a lot about creating and am a creator, but I can't get SimPE to work on my computer and I was wondering if there was another way to achieve the reflections? Thanks.
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 12th Feb 2005 at 5:40 AM
Thank you for this thread, and thank you RGiles for the directions on how to make skins shiny. It is something I have wanted to do since downloading the body shop last August and noticing the reflective teen dress.
#68 Old 12th Feb 2005 at 8:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by faliure2allsims
So, do you need SimPE to make the reflections?

Yes you do, except for a file like that dress that already has a reflection built into it.
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 12th Feb 2005 at 5:35 PM
What about my original question?
Test Subject
#70 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 5:58 AM
So how do I, a relatively unintelligent type when it comes to things of this nature, make hair and eyes all filled to the brim with shiny goodness? Do I follow the instructions for doing the same to skins or what?

Hava nagila, have two nagila, have three nagila, they're pretty small.
#71 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 7:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by wrolyat
What about my original question?

Is this part of your question?

I followed the tutorial and all, but when I opened up the textures in SimPe, I scrolled down to the 17th one and it said "reflect to the right x2."

If so, huuuuh? 17th what?

Quote: Originally posted by Digisim
So how do I, a relatively unintelligent type when it comes to things of this nature, make hair and eyes all filled to the brim with shiny goodness? Do I follow the instructions for doing the same to skins or what?

Yep, it's exactly the same with hair.... I've not yet tried eyes, but I think it would be exactly the same with them.

We are still learning about the Material Description (or Definition, depending on which SimPE version you look at) files, and there are a lot of things that seem to work in one place and then not in another. Also there seem to be a lot of settings that don't do anything at all ever.

RG

You can't use a bulldozer to study orchids.
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 7:11 PM Last edited by wrolyat : 13th Feb 2005 at 7:15 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by RGiles
Is this part of your question?

I followed the tutorial and all, but when I opened up the textures in SimPe, I scrolled down to the 17th one and it said "reflect to the right x2."

If so, huuuuh? 17th what?

Yep, it's exactly the same with hair.... I've not yet tried eyes, but I think it would be exactly the same with them.

We are still learning about the Material Description (or Definition, depending on which SimPE version you look at) files, and there are a lot of things that seem to work in one place and then not in another. Also there seem to be a lot of settings that don't do anything at all ever.

RG

This is my original question:
Quote:
I followed the tutorial and all, but when I opened up the textures in SimPe, I scrolled down to the 17th one and it said "reflect to the right x2." I figured that that must mean that this is a texture to reflect so I copied the name and put it in for the value in the base texture, commited and saved everything. I then opened up bs and looked at my custom clothes I created, but no reflection nor any "shiney" part to it? Can bs just not render that kind of graphic or what.

I mean the 17th texture down is the reflective one, but it is not working when I put it in for the value of the base texture, I even put the "reflectivity" value to 1, but still no reflection. I really don't understand what I am doing wrong :confused: .
#73 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 4:45 AM
wrolyat,

I'm sorry, I really don't understand what you're seeing. "reflect to the right x2" is not something I've ever come across at all. So I'm completely :confused:

RG
Lab Assistant
#74 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 12:29 AM Last edited by wrolyat : 15th Feb 2005 at 12:36 AM.
The texture I used to reflect, instead of the maxis default reflection, was called exactly, "Right X+" (sorry I got the name wrong of it before) The thumbnail of the texture is shown at the bottom. Anyway, I couldn't get my clothes to reflect, I just told you what all I did. In my original post. I will let you download my athletic clothes so you can see what I did wrong. They just don't have any reflection to them and I don't know what I did wrong :confused: .
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  7fe554bf_ShinyAthletics.rar (122.5 KB, 43 downloads) - View custom content
#75 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 6:30 AM
Your trouble here, wrolyat, if that you're trying to making clothing shiny, and that doesn't really work except for the catsuit type where no sin shows below the neck, including the hands.

Clothing uses the "SimSkin" material type. This allows sim's skincolor to show through where the clothing texture is transparent... like around the neckline of your workout clothes. However shininess does not work on this material type at all. The only way some clothing object have been able to use shininess is to have separate sections of the mesh assigned to different material types, and the shiny parts can't use transparency.

Hope this makes sense.
RG
Page 3 of 4