Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 1892
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Closed Thread  Replies: 482 (Who?), Viewed: 125506 times.
Search this Thread
Old 30th Jan 2005, 11:05 AM #51
Solander
Lab Assistant

Had a problem exporting Cinema4D R9-Objekts to the obj-Format. The tool claims that no vertex normals are included in the file and doesnt import the file for further editing.

Importing and exporting the objekt in Milkshape solves that problem.
Old 30th Jan 2005, 11:14 AM #52
Miche
Original Poster

Nearly alive

11 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolanderCGN
Had a problem exporting Cinema4D R9-Objekts to the obj-Format. The tool claims that no vertex normals are included in the file and doesnt import the file for further editing.

Importing and exporting the objekt in Milkshape solves that problem.

Cinema 4d , seems to cause a lot of problems, it either doesn`t export the normals (and sometimes the uv cords) or it reverses them. I also think that for some people it was exports Face normals instead of vertex normals.

Paper,

If you use the wizard feature to import a object, then that object will no longer be animated (we are currently working on allowing the animations to still work).

Untill that time, if you want the animations to work on a object you need to treat it as a modified existing object and not use the "new object wizard" part of the tool.
Last edited by Miche : 30th Jan 2005 at 11:17 AM.
Old 30th Jan 2005, 11:24 AM #53
Diablight
Test Subject

Hi,

could someone please write a small tut for importing/ or even replacing existing hair meshes. I made some new hair styles, some short one, who even not must be animated, and i wanna import them to the sims 2.

thanks for your great tool :D

My sister really bothers me because i have no plan how to import the new hair i made for her... :smash:
Last edited by Diablight : 30th Jan 2005 at 11:27 AM.
Old 30th Jan 2005, 11:31 AM #54
BonesChapel
Test Subject

7 Achievements

Is anyone else having a problem with vertices not being weilded? Has anyone done an auto wield on points to actually close an object? Does this affect the games ability to read objects? It may be the way that the objects were designed for the sims and it may be the way the plugin exports the object format. In lightwav this is not a problem as when you select a space that is shared by two points it will actually select both points. In cinema 4d however, it doesn't simply select both points. The outcome being that if you try to move a single point on a polygon it tears the model apart. Also I'd like to thank the all the folks responsible for such a fantastic piece of software. The tutorials on importing and exporting objects are fantastic and I'm sure I will have no problems once I resolve my problems with actually editing the objects themselves. I'd be really appreciative if someone who worked on editing the body meshes could write a similar tutorial as this seems to be a lot more involved, and was really my goal anyway. I'm just a simple graphic artist and animator. While some may consider this a daunting task, I find myself baffled by scripting and complex modding. So I appreciate all your hard work and effort.
Old 30th Jan 2005, 11:32 AM #55
rentechd
Field Researcher

2 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdjunkie
I know what you mean. Maya is much easier to use ... I just wish I could get it to work!

tkdjunkie,Saikatsu,

I could not tell what version of Maya you are using so I will address the Personal Learning Edition (free) and the Complete/Unlimited versions and how to get OBJ import to work in the Complete/Unlimited versions and the sad news that you are out of luck with PLE unless you can locate a 3rd party application that will convert OBJ to .ma, .mb or .mp and can convert .mp back to OBJ. I suspect you have the PLE as someone mentioned Maya 5 I think.

In the PLE version of Maya the Maya API id disabled and you cannot write standard Maya software files (.ma, .mb); only the Maya Personal Learning Edition file format (.mp) can be saved; however, you can import the standard Maya software files. It is not possible to load plug-ins from the commercial version of Maya or third party plug-ins because the API is disabled. While you could have someone someone with the Complete or Unlimited version take your OBJ and save it as .ma or .mb file for you to work on that step would be fairly fruitless since these versions cannot read the .mp files that the PLE exportsnor translate it back to .ma or .mb so it in turn can be exported to and OBJ format for use in the mesh tool. While I know of 3rd party tools that will convert many formats to either standard Maya files I do not know of any that will convert the .mp at all.

If you are using the Unlimted commerical version OBJ import is supported as default and export is supported once the Translator plugin is enabled. (If PLE now supports OBJ import/export you will find it here for that version also). Import/Export plugins are enabled in Windows > Settings/Preferences > Plugin Manager. Ticking the box next to the OBJexport.mll will turn it on for your current project and if you want the plugin avalable everytime then also tick the box next to autoload. In most cases all registered plugins will show up in these option and you will usually need to turn on both the import and export .mll if you want both directions. In the complete version you may have to enable the OBJ import before its becomes available. You will also have to make adjustments to some of the editors and renders to remove any automated optimization that would add additional ietms yu do not want included in an OBJ format model.

You can also browse from there and locate/load 3rd party translators if you have downloaded them for the Complete or Unlimited versions. If you have the either of these versions you should get the bonos tools 6.0, 6.01 and the December update to 6.01 for addition registered plugins.

Now, if by Maya 5.0 you mean you are using the Full Version and not the PLE then you probably need one of the 3rd party conversion/translator plugins to import/export OBJ and that would differ depending if you are on windows or linux. The best source for these plugins is http://www.highend3d.com
Last edited by rentechd : 30th Jan 2005 at 12:14 PM.
Old 30th Jan 2005, 11:51 AM #56
Miche
Original Poster

Nearly alive

11 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesChapel
Is anyone else having a problem with vertices not being weilded? Has anyone done an auto wield on points to actually close an object? Does this affect the games ability to read objects? It may be the way that the objects were designed for the sims and it may be the way the plugin exports the object format. In lightwav this is not a problem as when you select a space that is shared by two points it will actually select both points. In cinema 4d however, it doesn't simply select both points. The outcome being that if you try to move a single point on a polygon it tears the model apart. Also I'd like to thank the all the folks responsible for such a fantastic piece of software. The tutorials on importing and exporting objects are fantastic and I'm sure I will have no problems once I resolve my problems with actually editing the objects themselves. I'd be really appreciative if someone who worked on editing the body meshes could write a similar tutorial as this seems to be a lot more involved, and was really my goal anyway. I'm just a simple graphic artist and animator. While some may consider this a daunting task, I find myself baffled by scripting and complex modding. So I appreciate all your hard work and effort.

I`m not any good at making 3d models, so don`t know how it works in the various programs, but the game very rarely shares a vertice between faces.
In the obj file format, each point in a face has a pointer to the vertice, another to the normal and another to the uv cord, so it can use the same vertice in more than one face and just change the other two pointers.

The game however works differently in that each point in a face has just has one pointer to a "record" , a record being the vertice, normal and uv cord, so unless all three are exactly the same for more than one face, then each point needs a seperate record (and as most of the time the normals will be different between faces, it doesn`t share records vary often.) Note: you shouldn`t have to do anything to a 3d object before using the mesh tool, as that will convert from the format a OBJ file uses to the way the game uses.

I`m just not sure exactly how Delphy`s extracter handles this when creating a OBJ file.
Last edited by Miche : 30th Jan 2005 at 11:58 AM.
Old 30th Jan 2005, 1:16 PM #57
abcisthealphabet
Test Subject

3 Achievements

Sorry that this doesn't directly concern the mesh tool, but can someone suggest a free mesh editing program? I had milkshape but the trial ran out and I don't wanna pay for a part time hobbie if there's a decent program. Thanks!
Old 30th Jan 2005, 1:44 PM #58
Miche
Original Poster

Nearly alive

11 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcisthealphabet
Sorry that this doesn't directly concern the mesh tool, but can someone suggest a free mesh editing program? I had milkshape but the trial ran out and I don't wanna pay for a part time hobbie if there's a decent program. Thanks!

A couple of free ones are : blender and gmax (gmax I think you would need another program what can convert the files it exports into obj files, I know one of the beta testers was exporting from gmax in md3 format and then converting to OBJ files).
Last edited by Miche : 30th Jan 2005 at 1:50 PM.
Old 30th Jan 2005, 1:58 PM #59
rosiedogsim
Lab Assistant

5 Achievements

Hi all,
Quick question:
I have THREE MODELS in my GMDC under "items 3" tab.
There are only TWO Texture Image file (TXTR) files.

I need a different texture for EACH MODEL.

How do I add a new texture to apply that it will ALSO have a corresponding Material Definition (TXMT) so that I can apply a different texture to each Model? :confused:

(btw: Thanks again for all the hard work getting this out!!)
Screenshots
Click image for larger version

Name:  Models1.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  69.1 KB   Click image for larger version

Name:  Models2.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  85.1 KB  
Last edited by Miche : 30th Jan 2005 at 2:10 PM.
Old 30th Jan 2005, 2:10 PM #60
Miche
Original Poster

Nearly alive

11 Achievements

Thats not a quick question

making extra links in the shape file is the easy part , you just use the add option. Adding more texture files and MATD files isn`t so easy. I`m unsure exactly of how to do it myself (unsure of what the instances and sub groups should be), and am currently working on sorting it out. Untill then I really suggest that you find a base object (to clone) which has 3 texture files and MATD files.
Old 30th Jan 2005, 2:40 PM #61
rosiedogsim
Lab Assistant

5 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miche
Thats not a quick question

making extra links in the shape file is the easy part , you just use the add option. Adding more texture files and MATD files isn`t so easy. I`m unsure exactly of how to do it myself (unsure of what the instances and sub groups should be), and am currently working on sorting it out. Untill then I really suggest that you find a base object (to clone) which has 3 texture files and MATD files.

Thanks Miche...I've actually been trying to get that question answered for a couple of weeks just using Delphy & Wes' plugins. I thought maybe the Mesh Tool would do it I do know that if you just clone a TXTR image and modify that, the game can't find the texture for it. If you right click and "add", it looks for an .xml file. Trying to add a Material Definition actually just adds another TXTR, which doesn't help. That's as far as I've gotten.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll probably run into the issue as you go along, so at least you've got a head start. If you DO come up with a way, please PM me.

PS- I figured it probably wouldn't be a "quick question", but I was hoping that I just missed some obvious little detail that just might clear it up! Oh well. :D
Last edited by rosiedogsim : 30th Jan 2005 at 2:44 PM.
Old 30th Jan 2005, 2:45 PM #62
tkdjunkie
On a Radical Sabbatical :)

12 Achievements

rentechd,
Thank you very much for your help. I have the Maya 6.0 PLE version, so I guess I'd either better upgrade or find another program. Thank you!!!
~Allie
Old 30th Jan 2005, 2:47 PM #63
marruk
Test Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by blut3ng3l
n00b to n00b, click Plugins at the top. Click Installed plugins. Do you see GMDC Wrapper? Highlight it. Click move up and make it be above Generic Rcol Wrapper.

already done
Old 30th Jan 2005, 3:13 PM #64
WesHowe
Alchemist

15 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiedogsim
I do know that if you just clone a TXTR image and modify that, the game can't find the texture for it. If you right click and "add", it looks for an .xml file. Trying to add a Material Definition actually just adds another TXTR, which doesn't help. That's as far as I've gotten.

OK, here's how:
1. Make your multipart mesh.
2. Give each group a unique model name. Write 'em down so you don't get confused.
3. Go to the SHPE file, use 'add' in the parts tab (plugin view) until you have the right number of lines in the file.
4. Edit each line, placing the model name (from step 2) in the box labeled 'subset name'. Always 'commit' each change.
5. Edit each line to create a MATD name for each object you want to uniquely paint (you can share them, but then why create a seperate group in the first place). Each name goes in the "Material Definition File" box in the parts tab and will look something like: #0x7fbc6ee4!Cube1
6. By using 'clone' on an example MATD, create as many MATDs as you need.
7. Name each MATD like what you named it in the SHPE file, but with _txmt on it. Example name : #0x7fbc6ee4!Cube1_txmt
8. In each MATD file, change the 'StdMatBaseTextureName' to something like: #0x7fbc6ee4!Cube1 Also, place this name in the 'files' tab, but without the #0x7fbc6ee4! part (this is the hash value that gets assigned when you click on 'assign hash'.
9. If you are working on a clone that has _lifo files in it, convert your texture image to include the larger image in the texture image. This is important. Pinhead wrote a nice tutorial with step-by-step instructions on doing this. It is in the Tutorials section of this board.
10. Again using clone, make as many copies of the TXTR file as you have MATD files. Name them, following our example as : #0x7fbc6ee4!Cube1_txtr (obviously, each name is different).
11. Use Export/Import on the plugin view to color the texure images to suit your design.
12. Go through ALL your new files and carefully 'fix tgi', commit, save. Every time.
13. Make sure your names all match up for each group from the SHPE -> MATD -> TXTR. This is the path the game will use to locate them.
14. You should now have a seperate color scheme for each group. There are options for special effects, such as making the object more reflective, in the MATD file. There is more information on this in a whole thread elsewhere, I think in general modding. Search for it if you need it.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Last edited by wes_h : 30th Jan 2005 at 3:18 PM. Reason: bad typing
Old 30th Jan 2005, 4:18 PM #65
rosiedogsim
Lab Assistant

5 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes_h
OK, here's how:
1. Make your multipart mesh.
2. Give each group a unique model name. Write 'em down so you don't get confused.
3. Go to the SHPE file, use 'add' in the parts tab (plugin view) until you have the right number of lines in the file.
4. Edit each line, placing the model name (from step 2) in the box labeled 'subset name'. Always 'commit' each change.
5. Edit each line to create a MATD name for each object you want to uniquely paint (you can share them, but then why create a seperate group in the first place). Each name goes in the "Material Definition File" box in the parts tab and will look something like: #0x7fbc6ee4!Cube1
6. By using 'clone' on an example MATD, create as many MATDs as you need.
7. Name each MATD like what you named it in the SHPE file, but with _txmt on it. Example name : #0x7fbc6ee4!Cube1_txmt
8. In each MATD file, change the 'StdMatBaseTextureName' to something like: #0x7fbc6ee4!Cube1 Also, place this name in the 'files' tab, but without the #0x7fbc6ee4! part (this is the hash value that gets assigned when you click on 'assign hash'.
9. If you are working on a clone that has _lifo files in it, convert your texture image to include the larger image in the texture image. This is important. Pinhead wrote a nice tutorial with step-by-step instructions on doing this. It is in the Tutorials section of this board.
10. Again using clone, make as many copies of the TXTR file as you have MATD files. Name them, following our example as : #0x7fbc6ee4!Cube1_txtr (obviously, each name is different).
11. Use Export/Import on the plugin view to color the texure images to suit your design.
12. Go through ALL your new files and carefully 'fix tgi', commit, save. Every time.
13. Make sure your names all match up for each group from the SHPE -> MATD -> TXTR. This is the path the game will use to locate them.
14. You should now have a seperate color scheme for each group. There are options for special effects, such as making the object more reflective, in the MATD file. There is more information on this in a whole thread elsewhere, I think in general modding. Search for it if you need it.

<* Wes *>

Thank you Wes!
That's an offshoot of what I've been struggling with the past week in our PMs. I began asking if the textures automatically imported with your plugin, which was a "no". I was getting stuck there because, even though I new how to recolor, there weren't enough texture slots to apply to each model. IThe best way to ask the question appeared with the Mesh Tool. Thanks for the solution. I'm off to try it, and maybe now I can leave you alone! :D
Old 30th Jan 2005, 4:23 PM #66
Diablight
Test Subject

Ok, i managed how to import the object now.
It is a new hair object with the social bunny female as base. Then i changed the gender to male, but now i have a problem, because i need that hair for male teenager and not for male man.

I do not know if it is the right thread or the right forum, if it isnt pleas correct me...But could anyone tell me how to use this hair for male teenager and not for male man?

thank you
Old 30th Jan 2005, 4:36 PM #67
tkdjunkie
On a Radical Sabbatical :)

12 Achievements

Diablight, this thread might be able to help you:
http://modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=6505
Old 30th Jan 2005, 4:38 PM #68
WesHowe
Alchemist

15 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiedogsim
I'm off to try it, and maybe now I can leave you alone!

I don't mind helping at all, but if I do it in a public forum, I don't have to type it over and over for others that have the same questions.
<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Old 30th Jan 2005, 5:13 PM #69
rosiedogsim
Lab Assistant

5 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes_h
I don't mind helping at all, but if I do it in a public forum, I don't have to type it over and over for others that have the same questions.
<* Wes *>

Very true. Sorry about that, just got too caught up in the process, not thinking! Will keep that in mind in future!
:bricks:
Old 30th Jan 2005, 6:21 PM #70
Solander
Lab Assistant

Solution for those who got trouble with inverted normals (texture on backside) with their objects created using cinema4d.

Downlowd UVMapper www.uvmapper.com, import your OBJ-File, export it with the box "invert normals" checked.

Here we go
Old 30th Jan 2005, 6:25 PM #71
Tiggy027
Lab Assistant

14 Achievements

I hope I'm in the right thread here....I would like to know what I do wrong
when using the MTS2 Mesh Tool. I started it, the first screen looked how it
should look and when I clicked on the Object Wizard the window that opened
up was totally black. I managed to follow the tutorial and successfully imported a new object but it would be nice if I could actually see what it says
in the windows...:-) Any help is appreciated.
Screenshots
Click image for larger version

Name:  MTS2MeshTool.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  60.6 KB  
Old 30th Jan 2005, 6:55 PM #72
Miche
Original Poster

Nearly alive

11 Achievements

I have no idea what the problem would be here. Has anyone else had this trouble?

It`s fine for me and as far as I know for all the beta testers.
Old 30th Jan 2005, 7:12 PM #73
WDS BriAnna
Lab Assistant

11 Achievements

My screen looks like that, too, Miche. The background is almost black so if I get real close and squint I can still read it. It's only like that for me on the object wizard -- new mesh part.

BriAnna
Old 30th Jan 2005, 7:14 PM #74
simsuncensored
Field Researcher

7 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miche
I have no idea what the problem would be here. Has anyone else had this trouble?

It`s fine for me and as far as I know for all the beta testers.

no I haven't.
but If it was me and I got that veiw, I would think there is something wrong with the obj file, as I know the mesh tool has never done that.
it may be a mesh tool prob, but I would look at the obj file first.
Old 30th Jan 2005, 7:16 PM #75
simsuncensored
Field Researcher

7 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDS BriAnna
My screen looks like that, too, Miche. The background is almost black so if I get real close and squint I can still read it. It's only like that for me on the object wizard -- new mesh part.

BriAnna

that is odd. maby it has to do with what res your moniter is set at?
Closed Thread

Section jump: