Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#26 Old 18th Jun 2010 at 9:06 PM
Now I'm getting worried. I was so excited to get Ambitions just now that I installed it without making CAW backup. I had nothing of interest in my game saves.. and didn't think of CAW. Till I thought, hey, I'll try out my new world that I've spent an insane amount of hours on.. and crash... booooo!!!

All this talk of corrupt files has me worried... I'm just not going to touch anything untill I read either there is a patch and solution or it's all doomed.. in which case I might cry lol.

anyhoo.. I'll be checking back here very regularly..

~ Nyn ~
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 19th Jun 2010 at 1:20 AM
I have the same probem, exept i only have the base game (v 1.12.70.006.002). And some custom content of various sites. message: http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/...rashedpopup.jpg
Field Researcher
#28 Old 19th Jun 2010 at 10:40 PM
Well I'm now smiling again After my monumental noob error of installing Ambitions in a spur of excitement without saving anything or checking anything, the mistake has been remedied!!

I've got CAW back up and running... soooooo happy!!!

I backed up all my CAW files.

Uninstalled everything.

Reinstalled base game and patched it up to 1.11.7

Reinstalled WA and patched it up to 2.6.11

Reinstalled CAW and patched it up to 1.6.72

And voila! everything works again. I'm relieved I can tell!!

~ Nyn ~
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 20th Jun 2010 at 11:33 AM
How long will we have to wait for the fix, its been 18 days since the troubled patch and i woke up this morning having all this great ideas and thinking, oh i could do that and this and it would be so beautiful, but i cant get my ideas out of my head since CAW wont work and soon my head will explode cus of idea-overload, seriously! I soo miss CAW! and sadly all my ideas includes ambitions-objects :-(

Kofforda<3
"""""""""""""""
Forum Resident
#30 Old 20th Jun 2010 at 3:29 PM
You know there is another solution. Create a partition on your hard drive to run two diffrent operating systems (you don't need two diffrent copy's since you can use the same one) so on start up you choose which partition to use. On one you can have all sims expations and packages up to date for play and use the second for a base game instilation patched up to the last safest point. Very handy for modders, lot builders, or world creators who want base game freindly creations or just for those of us who want to keep a working version of CAW . Please don't ask me how to do that though since I'm not sure how to exactly (my partners doing mine, I know the theory just not the how).
Also severedsolo's method is not recomended........

Disclaimer: These are the personally, personal opinions of me, myself and I. Yours may vary.
Terms & conditions do not apply
Field Researcher
#31 Old 20th Jun 2010 at 5:20 PM
I have attempted an exclution list allready <the safer version of severedsolos idea> CAW will not allow itself to be without DEP, so it will not work that way.

I'd like to build a world, a better world.
Guess I'll start here...
Forum Resident
#32 Old 20th Jun 2010 at 8:22 PM
I did say that I don't recommend it.... I thought it was worth a go though

If its already been tried though I'll delete the post.
Retired
retired moderator
#33 Old 21st Jun 2010 at 9:16 AM
I need CAW back so bad. And my files. Starting all over again on a crappy laptop is so depressing. I'm spending way too much time reading coursework without my favourite procrastination tool.

*twitches*

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 21st Jun 2010 at 1:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kiwi_tea
I need CAW back so bad.

I so much agree with you. I planned to resist Ambition but I miserably failed :D. I don't feel ready yet to uninstall/put back The Sims and CAW - prior patch- but a couple of weeks of waiting and I might very well resolve myself to this.

Now that we have to wait *so long* (and I know it's whining) for this CAW patch, I even have fool's hopes that we might get an enhanced/upgraded version of CAW. With Riverview bridges included.

*Sight*
Retired
retired moderator
#35 Old 22nd Jun 2010 at 1:48 PM
*sigh*

Here goes. The laptop couldn't handle CAW's EIG. Didn't like the game much either. I guess I'm just going to quit playing Ambitions and get CAW onto my workhorse. Fuck you EA. Verily. I only have a break to work on worlds properly until the 12th of July, and you're doing your best to ensure it's wasted over-preparing for the next semester and boozing to keep warm.

Test Subject
#36 Old 24th Jun 2010 at 3:03 AM
I got this same error (Have been away being buried in school work) after not playing for a few months. I don't even HAVE ambitions yet so for me this is complete crap. So EA's update with the game is what did this? I can't even access my one crappy complete world I made to play in the actual game. Shame on EA, they should have known better! </3
Test Subject
#37 Old 24th Jun 2010 at 9:17 PM
Yep, EA should have known better; I've just gone through a two day ordeal that started when I patched the game thinking that, since it was a patch, it actually needed to be installed. Fortunately though, I think I've found a solution for those who are willing to go through a couple hours of work to regain access to their beloved neighborhood projects. This probably will not work with ambitions, but if you are willing to part with the latest expansion for a time until EA can undo their mistake this will get CAW working. For me at least, it even got the edit in game feature back to functional:

1. back up anything you don't want to lose during this process. this includes the neighborhood files, custom content, etc. To back up neighborhoods, go to the EA folder in your directory, select create a world tool, then usertooldata, then worlds, then copy the world file, the settings file, and the file folder associated with your world to a jump drive, dvd, or a completely different location on your hard drive.This should go without saying, but for me in my panicked state of trying the fix CAW, I did at one point accidentally delete my prized neighborhood that I have diligently working on since March.

2. uninstall all programs associated with the Sims 3. all exp. packs, stuff packs. to make sure that absolutely no files associated with these programs are left behind (as they could screw up the fresh installs). get Revo uninstaller (its free) and have it scan your hard drive for any remaining files. delete any that you find. Then to do a registry cleanup, get ccleaner and have it do a registry cleanup.

3. Install the sims 3 , world adventures, etc. The game will patch itself when you install WA, but only to version 1.5.82 (which still works)

4. install CAW. to get Caw to work, you will need to manually patch the base game to version 1.11.7, WA to ver. 2.6.11, and CAW to version 1.6 (the version recommended by the game launcher). the Base game patch can be found at http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...:TS3_PatchingBG. the WA patch can be found at http://www.simprograms.com/the-sims...rld-adventures/. Patching WA can get a bit tedious using this site as you have to patch it multiple times (from ver. 2.0.86 to 2.2.8 to 2.3.33 to 2.4.7 and so on). patching CAW is relatively simple; just open up the game launcher and select the CAW patch under Updates. Hope this helps!
Test Subject
#38 Old 24th Jun 2010 at 9:19 PM
Actually, now that I think of it, Ambitions will definitely NOT work because it will want to update to the latest version (version 1.12.70 / 2.7.7; the one that is busted) before you can finish installation.
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 3:27 PM
Well, now that create a pattern is released, perhaps they can get back on fixing CAW, who knows it might be fixed quite soon.
Test Subject
#40 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 3:52 PM
See now here's the inconvenience thing for me: I have rarely any time to play as it is. Going through the process of reinstalling everything is just too much for me to accomplish. CAW ran great for me, it was quick to load and Edit in Game only took about 3-5 minutes at the most. So for someone like me who is a full time college student and parent that only has so much time to play as is, is a major inconvenience. Today is my birthday, and I had worked hard to set aside time to relax a little and playing the sims and working on my worlds was part of my plan. Thanks EA for axing that idea. So unfortunately for me the best idea is to wait it out and hope they come out with a fix by the time I get another chance to play. By the way, I was somewhat surprised that reinstalling would actually work considering it usually wants to update to the newest version when you install. Was there a way around it or did it not want to install the latest version in general and just the latest pertaining to the most recent expansion pack?
Retired
retired moderator
#41 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 4:45 PM
I know exactly how you feel heatherbearx! I had planned carefully around having time to finish my project during the holidays, because in the coming semester I will be very busy with two very difficult papers. EA really managed to ruin my plans, and I may not have the luxury to get my worlds completed until December or January if they don't hurry up.

Test Subject
#42 Old 28th Jun 2010 at 1:10 AM
I'm in the same boat, Kiwi. I have one month between semesters which I believe will be August, so if EA doesn't fix it in time for at least that one month, I hate to say but my years since I was 8 or 9 of playing the sims will surely be over. And considering that I'm one of the customers who bought each game as they came out, eventually replacing them due to unreadable discs, it would be a shame for EA if they lost more customers like me who when they saw World Adventures thought it would suck and probably wasn't worth the money, I bought it anyways because of my faith in the games. Unfortunately I would think most of their customers are like us, growing up and have much less time in our real lives to play someone elses. So for EAs sake I hope that time is being taken as a serious factor when it comes to fixing this.
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 30th Jun 2010 at 6:53 PM
I uninstalled my games and reinstalled the games and patched bg up to 1.11.7, WA up to 2.6.11 and CAW up to 1.6.72, and CAW works but not the edit in game part, it comes up some message that says i have to install the latest patch, the one that screws up CAW :-(

ps: i wont buy an other ea game until they have fixed caw, and im not going to run of to the stores anylonger to buy the new sims game the first day its out..

Kofforda<3
"""""""""""""""
Test Subject
#44 Old 1st Jul 2010 at 1:19 AM
I may decide not to buy the expansion pack at all now. It depends on whether or not they have it fixed before I start break. If they don't fix it before then why would I waste my money on something I can't play? (All of the new glitches and not being able to play in my own world kills my interest.)
Scholar
#45 Old 1st Jul 2010 at 9:23 AM
They'll do a patch just before the next sp
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 1st Jul 2010 at 10:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fluttereyes
They'll do a patch just before the next sp
September? honestly. I could see a team of skilled developer fixing this within a week if they put their mind to it *grumble* *grumble*
Theorist
#47 Old 1st Jul 2010 at 12:47 PM
Once they do patch it there better be some good fixes... Something more than "here it's working again"

Hi I'm Paul!
Test Subject
#48 Old 2nd Jul 2010 at 4:27 AM
Don't say that Robodl95, last thing we need is them to create more glitches. =( I'd be satisfied if it were fixed but September? EA is causing more problems than it's worth now. This is why a lot of people I know didn't buy the Sims 3 and kept their Sims 2 games.
Test Subject
#49 Old 3rd Jul 2010 at 4:23 PM
[QUOTE=kofforda]I uninstalled my games and reinstalled the games and patched bg up to 1.11.7, WA up to 2.6.11 and CAW up to 1.6.72, and CAW works but not the edit in game part, it comes up some message that says i have to install the latest patch, the one that screws up CAW :-(

Hmmm... I don't suppose that you have one of the stuff packs? that would need to be patched as well. I have read other posts where people said that they couldn't get edit in game back to functional after the reinstall and manual patch, but if its truly impossible then I can't fathom why its working for me and not everyone else... Did you clean out all remaining files after you uninstalled?? Perhaps if there were a few still remaining that could interfere with it... I'm sorry i have no better answers than that
Scholar
#50 Old 3rd Jul 2010 at 6:01 PM
I think we just have to wait for a fix, just as we did with WA
Page 2 of 4