Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Firestarter
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jan 2005 at 2:33 AM
Default New TTAB Tutorial (Editing Menu Options and Importing Code)
http://sims.ambertation.de/ttabtutorialcarrigon.shtml

Please use this thread for questions and discussion of this tutorial and someone will help you here. Thanks, and I hope it helps some of you to get started with modding. The next tutorial I do will cover more about the BHAV's.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 22nd Jan 2005 at 10:34 AM
Thank you! So much!

It was very easy to follow every step and you explained everything in a personal and informal way which makes things much easier to understand for a thick head like mine!

Maybe, some day, all this will REALLy make sense to me!

Thanks!
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 22nd Jan 2005 at 9:56 PM
Default can i use the Behaviour Function files for all my mods?
can i use the Behaviour Function for all my mod , if not do i have to make them or can i get them?
Firestarter
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Jan 2005 at 10:54 PM
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but when it comes to BHAV's they are usually much more involved than what I gave with the tutorial. Many BHAV lines reference other things in the files, so you won't be able to just import any BHAV you choose when coding. You need to know what's referencing what. Some point to sounds, animations, dialog, BCONs in the lines. When I do the BHAV tutorial, I'll touch on how to recognize some of this.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 22nd Jan 2005 at 11:39 PM
thank you but i met that you could use the in other objects?
Firestarter
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Jan 2005 at 4:23 AM
The code I included, yes, you should be able to use it in other objects. You could probably put it in a chair or something.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 23rd Jan 2005 at 8:02 PM Last edited by Whitefire26 : 23rd Jan 2005 at 8:05 PM.
hi , thanks for this tutorial Carrigon :-) however i'm haveing some problems i've downloaded the newest simspe 14f and when i get to step 4 i run into problems in the tutorial u have wrote u say only use the 2 files that are simpe.xml when u click all files however when i do that i do not see any of the files haveing the xml part the simspe is there but there isn't any xml at all so i'm lost on what to do any ideas i'll try :-) thanks whitefire26
Firestarter
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Jan 2005 at 8:41 PM
When you are looking to add the files, click all files, you might have to make your file view window alittle bigger to see the extensions, but they are there.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 23rd Jan 2005 at 9:02 PM
thanks Carrigon i'll check into that now :-)
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 23rd Jan 2005 at 10:52 PM
hi , i've just checked into what u said Carrigon however i don't still see the xml after the simspe thing however when i point my mouse over a file it tells me what the file is called so i'm now seeing this XML Document are theses the 2 files i need becouses i see 2 of them when i point my mouse on them the other 2 files only say simspe file when i point my mouse to them i'm still lost and mixed up thanks :-)
Firestarter
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Jan 2005 at 3:52 AM
Yes, just take the xml files, nothing else.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 24th Jan 2005 at 8:39 PM
thanks alot Carrigon :-)
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 25th Jan 2005 at 8:06 AM
Thanks

A couple of questions

Why do you need a test behavior function? What would happen if you left it out?

The way to hide a string/function is to have '*' in front of it, as in '*Break'? Is that what the '*' is for?

Is there a simple way to keep a sim from self-viewing and causing the function to 'Max All Except Fun and Social'? In other words, just execute the function when directly ordered to do from the object menu?

Thanks!
Firestarter
Original Poster
#14 Old 25th Jan 2005 at 1:10 PM
If you leave out your test, your option usually won't show up or won't work at all.

No, the * is not what usually hides an option. You need to click the check for debug menu and you need to see if the guardian is pointing to a "hide menu option".

If you're asking about autonomy, just make it double what it is and the sim won't look to do something as much on their own. The higher the autonomy number, the less addictive the object. The lower the autonomy number, the more they will keep wanting to do something.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 26th Jan 2005 at 1:32 AM Last edited by fleabay : 26th Jan 2005 at 1:55 AM.
Ok, I did your tutorial with success. Now, I try to fly like a little birdie for the first time and plumet to the ground.

Please help.

I extracted the 'Rename Sim' from the Tombstone of L&D. I import it into my package and set the pie menu to point to it just like in your example.

But it don't work. Is there a reason I can't take a function like that from another object and use it with the clock?

EDIT: I got it working! My Group ID was the problem.

Thanks! This tutorial was a blessing.
#16 Old 27th Jan 2005 at 8:02 AM Last edited by Stonicus : 27th Jan 2005 at 8:06 AM.
I've gone through your tutorial like 10 times, and I cannot get it to work. My final file is 'gclockmod.package'. It has 4 files in it. The Pie Strings and Pie Functions, then the 2 BHAV files from the motive code zip file. I follow the tutorial step by step and place the final gclockmod.package into my Downloads folder... and nothing happens. The clock still just has the 'Wind' option.

Is anyone else having this problem???

Could someone post a working grandfather clock mod they made from using this tutorial so I can compare it to mine?
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 27th Jan 2005 at 9:38 AM Last edited by fleabay : 27th Jan 2005 at 9:42 AM.
Here you go...

You can have 2 (or more) SimPE windows running at the same time. Good for comparing things! Especially if you have dual monitors.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  grandfathermod.zip (1,023 Bytes, 51 downloads) - View custom content

Firestarter
Original Poster
#18 Old 27th Jan 2005 at 10:22 AM
Stonicus, if it's still saying Wind, you're probably not clicking all the crazy commit and file save things. When you change the word, click "change in all", then click "commit", then go to file, save. Come back to it and make sure it changed.
#19 Old 27th Jan 2005 at 5:50 PM
Just tried it again, this time on my work computer, and it worked flawlessly. I'll take this package file home tonight and try it. If it doesn't work there, then maybe some olther mod I had was interfering. I'll let ya know. =)
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 28th Jan 2005 at 12:23 AM
What would cause the Guardian behavior to be called?

Is there a way to manually invoke the Guardian from the game?

And what is the * for? Is it possibly a tag for a known buggy function?

Lab Assistant
#21 Old 28th Jan 2005 at 1:18 AM
Thanks Carrigon for this, really helped with the No Mourn Urns.
#22 Old 28th Jan 2005 at 3:36 AM
Well, I got home and tried it again, using the same package file I used at work, but it did not work on my home computer. I removed all the files from the Downloads directory except for the clock mod and it still did not work. Any ideas?
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 28th Jan 2005 at 3:45 AM
Thanks so much Carrigon. Can't wait to get some free time to check it out. -JoJo
Firestarter
Original Poster
#24 Old 28th Jan 2005 at 6:01 AM
Stonicus, you'll have to go over it again, step by step, you're missing some step somewhere.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 28th Jan 2005 at 9:50 AM
:howdy: :confused: No help for me?

Page 1 of 3