Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#51 Old 9th Apr 2010 at 9:31 AM
How can I get the slots showing in milkshape?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 9th Apr 2010 at 11:37 AM
You can't, I just made little boxes in milkshape and copied the offsets from S3PE to demonstrate that it did in fact line up with the actual mesh.
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 12:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by atavera
Here is a screenshot of that slot in milkshape3d. I just made a box, and translated it to the local slot origin vector, duplicated it 3 times(for the x,y,z axes) and translated them out from the local slot origin. The result is that the slot(the red box) is right on top of the bedding where it should be, and it turned 90 degrees so it faces the foot of the bed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying this discussion, because I'm learning from it,
and I hope I'm not getting on your nerves

But I think youre "reading the map upside down", If I may say so.

You can't use it as both a translation matrix and as a rotation matrix.
Remember, that slot is NOT a box, you're just refering to it as one to help
make a point. The slot should be a point in the exact center of that box, and
if you translate the box upward so it's sitting ON the matress, then the slot
is FLOATING above the matress. and any child placed in a crib with a slot
floating like that, will also be floating ABOVE the matress.

The top surface of that crib's matress is at Y(0.481918) and the slot is at
Y(0.486862)which puts the slot 0.004944 above the matress already

Any sim placed in a sim slot will interact with it as if it were an invisible
surface which they stand/sit/lay on directly.
So if the slot was placed that high in the crib, you would see the chid's feet
standing even with the center of the cubeand not on the matress.

And if you treated it as a basic ratation matrix (meaning 1= +90degrees and
-1= -90degrees) , then your box is also upside down ( I still don't know
what mathmatical formulea your using to solve for the matrix . hinthinthint)
#54 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 12:13 PM
I changed the Y height to raise it by 1 on *all* the container slots and *all* the effects slots, and the bed behaved completely as normal. I don't get it.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#55 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 2:53 PM
The container slots listed in a single bed refer to a bone called _cntm_0_endtable, _cntm_1_endtable, _cntm_0_endtable_single and _cntm_1_endtable_single. Which is probably why the flag is set to end table. Why this is in the bed rig I have no idea. Do sims turn off an alarm clock or anything from bed?

There are 228 bones listed in the bedCombined_rig, and by the looks of the bone names single and double beds use the same rig. And doh, it says Combined rig. They are all viewable in granny viewer, but searching for the hash of the bones names in the rig in a hex editor yields nothing. Based on the size of the hex file I'm guessing they simply aren't there. The last values in the _rig that are viewable are the Effects. The IKTargets than I can see in granny viewer are not readable in the rig.
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 11:26 PM
inge, the anwer to your question is a little complex
and to keep my dyslexia from makng my response nearly unreadable, if you don't mind,
I'll answer in the chat applet, that'll let you ask further question or for clarification sooner.
It's 6:25p et now, I'll be in there a couple hrs while doing some modding.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#57 Old 19th Apr 2010 at 2:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HL
I can get them to take the new slot values, but then the object in the slot won't move with the base object. Otherwise the new slots will move with the base object but won't take the new values.

Has this issue been resolved?

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#58 Old 19th Apr 2010 at 8:30 PM
Not yet. :/ Still need to be able to edit the existing _RIG or for someone to create a new one. A generic new one would probably work well if it is possible. Because then it could just have the bone name that links the slots to without any built in heights. I have no idea if this is possible since I'm not a coder.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#59 Old 19th Apr 2010 at 10:26 PM
I got it to work by changing the Bone name to 0x00000000. I added 14 slots to the pedestal cube and made an empty version of the student bookshelf. All the slots stay with the object.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Lab Assistant
#60 Old 19th Apr 2010 at 11:25 PM
do you mean, objects placed on them remain with them when moved?
or do you mean the game accepts the addition of new slots that way?

If it's the second, then it's already been done by using names not in the _rig.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#61 Old 19th Apr 2010 at 11:39 PM
Objects placed on them remain with them when moved.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Alchemist
#62 Old 19th Apr 2010 at 11:58 PM
Sweet! Were you able to change the height of any of the slots? Do you think this would work for removing slots or just for adding them?
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#63 Old 20th Apr 2010 at 12:31 AM
Haven't tried removing any, yet. But like RS said, the QA S3PE lets you move everything:

The original slot is the bottom left.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Alchemist
#64 Old 20th Apr 2010 at 1:53 AM
This is what I've been wanting to do all the way along. How is it done?...and how hard is it? I'd mention that you're a genius at this but I know you're too modest to want to hear it
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#65 Old 20th Apr 2010 at 2:07 AM
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#66 Old 20th Apr 2010 at 3:20 AM
Open the RSLT in the Grid amd go to ChunkEntries->RCOLBlock->(and in this case)Containers->TransformMatrix. Then edit as follows:

Quote: Originally posted by Raven Shadow
...when I edit Single[3], that slot's position moves to the left or right ( when viewnig from the front of the object), and objects placed on it
sit where expected.

And when I edit Single[7], that slot's position moves up or down, and objects place on it sit at a new height above (or below) the surface.
And when I edit Single[B] that slot's position moves forward or backward as expected.

Genius? No, I just read this thread a bajillion times. I was waiting until after the challenge to try it out with the new S3PE feature (threre's also a new search tool AND you can edit the LITE resource...sweet). The geniuses are the ones who were actually discussing the matter.

HL, using that value was not intended to fix the "slot not moving" problem, I just used that value because I didn't feel like looking to see what the names were right then. When I tested in-game to see if my slot was there, it was, and it moved with the cube. I was thinking, "Wait, that ain't right, I mean, it's right, um, how did I do that? Oh, well!". So, it was by accident basically.

Anyway, we're gonna need more clutter!

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Alchemist
#67 Old 20th Apr 2010 at 3:32 AM
The editing and the expected part of that post are somewhat oblique to me. I didn't get it then and I'm not gettin' it now. And I didn't use the G-word...lol...I sort of guessed it wouldn't be welcome

I've read this thread many times and even had RS post a package to look at and I'm still not getting it. Is it gonna be that tough? Or is it something someone who's just a mesher can do? I really want to change slot heights...no home has all surfaces at exactly the same height and Sim homes should be no different IMO. But I still am not figuring out how you did this.

I asked before what the LITE resource does and got no clear answer on that...what does it do?

Sorry for all the questions...and thank you for any answers.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#68 Old 20th Apr 2010 at 3:57 AM
Before the S3PE feature I would have said this isn't for the average mesher. But now it's no harder than changing the footprint or something. Like I said, I was really just doing some S3PE testing. Since it worked, it kinda turned into a project.

The editing is just changing values. You have to know where you want to move the slot, coordinate-wise.

LITE resource tell how the object handles light, like how much light a window lets in, or how much light a lamp emits, where and how far, what shape( spot, point, ect.).

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 20th Apr 2010 at 12:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
The editing and the expected part of that post are somewhat oblique to me. I didn't get it then and I'm not gettin' it now. And I didn't use the G-word...lol...I sort of guessed it wouldn't be welcome

I've read this thread many times and even had RS post a package to look at and I'm still not getting it. Is it gonna be that tough? Or is it something someone who's just a mesher can do? I really want to change slot heights...no home has all surfaces at exactly the same height and Sim homes should be no different IMO. But I still am not figuring out how you did this.

I asked before what the LITE resource does and got no clear answer on that...what does it do?

Sorry for all the questions...and thank you for any answers.

If you want the containers to be ontop of an object,
open your package in S3PE, Select the VPXY click the external edit button.
In the top left wil be the bounding box data, copy down the largest Y-Axis
value and cancel out of the vpxy editor.

Select the RSLT in the Grid and navigate to the Container Sots Data
and look at the jpg I attached, it has the loations for the XYZ Coordinates marked.

Take the number you copied down and round it off to 4 decimal places.
Meaning if the value was 0.987654321 turn it into 0.9876 and ignore the rest.
Use this 4 decimale value for your slots' new height.
Screenshots
Alchemist
#70 Old 21st Apr 2010 at 1:58 AM
Thank you again RS. But I think what I need is a more guided explanation of what to do. What I have is the mesh and s3pe...from there it starts to get murky for me...lol. I'm waiting until there is a more step by step explanation of how to get from the mesh (point a) to the ingame object with a lower or higher surface (point b) because without that I just am not able to do it.

Part of that problem is simply not having back-to-back hours to invest in trying to figure it out. The other part is I'm not very good at guessing things in code as I have no background in it...I depend on the skill-set of others there. So I do appreciate the work you and others are doing on this issue.

Cmo, changing footprints is easy once you know what you need to change. And that's my problem here. There is no clear explanation of what needs changing and where you look to do that editing. Thank you for the explanation of the LITE resource. That is most helpful
Lab Assistant
#71 Old 21st Apr 2010 at 10:43 PM
OM,
I admit I made a typo or 2 , but that should be able to get you where you want.
The Bounding Box's Y-coordinate can be safely used for placing your container slots.
It's a very easy value to find and use.

Once you've placed a contaier slot on an object you can load it in TSRW to see the slot
and to get visual idea of here it is in relation to the surface you want it on.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#72 Old 21st Apr 2010 at 10:52 PM
RS,
Did you get your shelf kit working? That's going to be awesome...

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 22nd Apr 2010 at 3:37 AM
I'm almost there 1 or 2 more days.

I tried to use you new trick in the shelve (setting the bane names to 0x00000000) and found a bug.
With the bone name set to 0x0 the game becomes confused about the shelves position and and wouldn't let them stack straight.
They stack diagonally instead with each shelf sitting floating in the air 1 square behind the shelf it should be on top of.
everything else stacks on it just fine and even moves with it.

Edit.
Inge, I saw your bug post youknowwhere.
Loved the reprimand
#74 Old 22nd Apr 2010 at 8:58 AM
Well I don't know why they have a sticky official bug reports thread if it's just being used as a spam bucket

Lab Assistant
#75 Old 22nd Apr 2010 at 12:11 PM
or as a thread to to justify flaws and irritating features.
Page 3 of 5