Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Undead Molten Llama
#26 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 3:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 1ove
She's pretty much been pregnant every year or every other year. It's not even as good as, "My mom had her sixth kid when I was nineteen." It doesn't seem like much, but altogether it'd be twelve whole years of a bun in the oven. The oldest is barely a year older than my sister... just turned twenty-one this March 3.

And yeah, it's not our business as to how busy Michelle's womb is, but they sure are entertaining. Let's see if they'll go past twenty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duggar_family

In the family I was talking about, I think the longest gap between kids was three years. They married at 17, so...Yeah, she didn't see much of her feet for about 30 years. But she wouldn't have had it any other way. And that's not uncommon for where I live. It's pretty much all ranches and farms, and large families abound. Partly, it's because a lot of the families here are conservative Christian homesteaders and many of that portion of the population disapprove of birth control. But mostly it's because large families makes sense here; it takes manpower and lots of it to run a large farm/ranch. Kids are good for that. Free labor. In some ways I wish we had more kids. We ranch llamas on a small scale compared to the neighbors that surround us, and we could use more kidpower for chores and such, especially at shearing time. But alas, my roommate and I only have three kids between us.

I've never seen one of these TV shows, since we don't have TV, but I'm sure it is entertaining. It's entertaining just being around our neighboring large families when we get together for barbecues and such.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Advertisement
Scholar
Original Poster
#27 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 3:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
In the family I was talking about, I think the longest gap between kids was three years. They married at 17, so...Yeah, she didn't see much of her feet for about 30 years. But she wouldn't have had it any other way. And that's not uncommon for where I live. It's pretty much all ranches and farms, and large families abound. Partly, it's because a lot of the families here are conservative Christian homesteaders and many of that portion of the population disapprove of birth control. But mostly it's because large families makes sense here; it takes manpower and lots of it to run a large farm/ranch. Kids are good for that. Free labor. In some ways I wish we had more kids. We ranch llamas on a small scale compared to the neighbors that surround us, and we could use more kidpower for chores and such, especially at shearing time. But alas, my roommate and I only have three kids between us.

I've never seen one of these TV shows, since we don't have TV, but I'm sure it is entertaining. It's entertaining just being around our neighboring large families when we get together for barbecues and such.

Some women like to pop them out really fast. My sister's friend, her mom waited only until two months after her first, a girl, and then had two more boys; three kids under the age of two. My aunt did the same. It's way too stressful. Britney Spears did the same thing, but I'm sure it was pure accident.

Two kids is good enough for me; you can't expect to survive with fifteen in New York City. I'm not sure how Mary Pride is doing it with nine.

I don't have TV, either; a computer is good enough for me. But you can also look on Wikipedia and their websites.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 3:54 AM
Duggar Family Photos

What a great house, and HUGE, sometimes (like in the living room pictures)
its hard to find the kids.
2000 sq.ft alone for the dining/kitchen/living room area.
Kitchen with a industrial serving line.

The only thing thats a bit weird, is that all the kids names start with a J,
even Jinger .....

(Hm, gotta go, i think i want that house in my Sims3 )

"It is not that you will go mad.
It is that you will beg for madness." - Volrath
Undead Molten Llama
#29 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 3:59 AM
*nods* Some women like to get it all over with more or less at once. And in some ways I can see the logic. Like, once you get through potty-training the brood, you're done for good. That definitely has its appeal, says a person who had her kids six years apart. Just when I thought I was finally done with baby/toddler stuff...guess what?

But yeah, much as I'd like some more kidpower, I don't think I could handle more kids than I have. Especially because I've been a single mom since three months before my daughter was born.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Scholar
Original Poster
#30 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 4:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mentica
Duggar Family Photos

What a great house, and HUGE, sometimes (like in the living room pictures)
its hard to find the kids.
2000 sq.ft alone for the dining/kitchen/living room area.
Kitchen with a industrial serving line.

The only thing thats a bit weird, is that all the kids names start with a J,
even Jinger .....

(Hm, gotta go, i think i want that house in my Sims3 )

It reminds me of HomeTown Buffet. It's like a hotel in there.

Quote: Originally posted by iCad
*nods* Some women like to get it all over with more or less at once. And in some ways I can see the logic. Like, once you get through potty-training the brood, you're done for good. That definitely has its appeal, says a person who had her kids six years apart. Just when I thought I was finally done with baby/toddler stuff...guess what?

But yeah, much as I'd like some more kidpower, I don't think I could handle more kids than I have. Especially because I've been a single mom since three months before my daughter was born.

Haha, that's like Brandi Broke!

Michelle bravely went into childbirth every or every other year.

I knew a guy whose mom had three kids, all six years apart. It's not that long, you say. "I'm eighteen and my mom is pregnant again!"
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 4:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by twinkymunchkin
gah. they're adding to overpopulation big time. having that many children is ridiculous. i don't see how anyone could handle it.

While I don't believe we'll ever "overpopulate" the earth, it's pretty amazing how others live their lives. I understand the reasoning behind it, if you actually read their website they give a very honest reason as to why they do what they do.

"Live and let live."
Scholar
Original Poster
#33 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 8:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Cyberian_Trooper
I wonder if they have made the Guinness book of world records for having the most largest family in the world unless there is a bigger family then them?

Not currently living, no, but:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sobhuza_II_of_Swaziland

Quote:
King Sobhuza continued the tribal practice of keeping many wives. According to the Swaziland National Trust Commission, "King Sobhuza II married 70 wives, and had 210 children between 1920 and 1970. About 180 children survived infancy, and ninety seven sons and daughters are alive as of July 2000. When he died he had over 1000 grandchildren.

There was also an Indian man with seventy, but three died.
Scholar
Original Poster
#35 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 8:36 AM
What I meant was by one woman not a man who had many wives and had many children. Sorry I should have been more clear on what I had meant.

The guy with seventy, his wife had all twins, triplets or quads in their entire marriage alone. So yeah, there's one.
Instructor
#36 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 9:03 AM
The kids look happy and certainly don't live in poverty, so why not? Though I would probably freak out if I should be surrounded by so many family members even for just one evening
Scholar
#38 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 5:11 PM
Extreme Makeover: home edition HARD FALL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8XlmTJkZNE

Miracles do happen, well CT you made my day with that one.

Disclaimer: I am just being a goof ball, please ignore me if offended.
Scholar
#39 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 6:24 PM
They sure do well evolutionary wise.

"When the moon is in the seventh house
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars"
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 11:12 PM
I would absolutely hate having a lot of kids. How do you get to know so many kids on a close personal level? If you have 1 to 4 kids, it's easier to know them each as individuals better than 5 or more. Also, have you seen the show? It's as if the kids are brainwashed in my opinion. They can't even express themselves freely. They even look the same!
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 2:43 AM
I have five children and I know each one of them personaly. It's funny how they all different but raise the same way. Anyways I had a miscarried earlier this year and it broke my heart. But my husband and I decided for me to get the depo shot since we were told that the chances of getting pregnant were low. Two months later I was pregnant about 5 weeks and had another miscarried due to the depo shot. I felt so much guilt about it. So I can understand were she is coming from but on another note I really don't want another baby right now so we use condoms. But in a year or two I plan on having one more. I love my children more then anything else in this world. Some people aroound here think we are nuts for how many we have now but I wouldn't have change my life for anything. My mom shakes her head and says I don't know how you can handle all of them and I tell her it is because I watch her raise my brothers. My bother was only 18 months old when my twin brothers were born. I am just greatful I have never had twins!!!
Scholar
Original Poster
#45 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 4:10 AM
I am really sorry to hear about your loss. I have sisters that have that many kids too. My parents had six of us kids and I thought that was a big enough family. It's nice when they are babies but when they get older they get a mind of their own.

Twins is a handful for sure and I don't know how any woman or man can get any sleep with having twins. I don't think I met any one who has had twins but I would imagine it's probably hard. It's nice to have kids apart from each other like I noticed my sister's have spread out in their families.

There is that other show where as that couple Jon and Kate plus 8 have sets of twins and triplets. I don't how they manage but they have managed.

http://www.sixgosselins.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_&_Kate_Plus_8

They are not twins and triplets. The first two girls, Cara and Nicole, are indeed twins. However, three and a half years later, Kate gave birth to six of them at the same time. Yeah, the Gosselin Sextuplets.

Don't even get me started on...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadya_Suleman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chukwu_octuplets
Scholar
Original Poster
#47 Old 4th Sep 2009 at 11:18 PM
Your right about that and I forgot about that they had sextuplets. I watched that show maybe a few times. That's a lot to handle especially when they are all at the same age it's like you need at least two nannies to help you out with that many. As much as I love kids I think that's too many at once to have to deal with sextuplets. Your good at this you seem to know what's going on with people who have all these kids.

It is a lot, but it depends on the person. I used to know a woman through a Facebook group (which I no longer use; I don't have any online friends at this moment) who popped out the fifth and last (all single births, mind you) at twenty-seven. When people asked what was going on, she simply put forth, "Well, it was easy for me. I had all my kids in diapers and within the same age range. I am thirty-five now and could not even fathom becoming pregnant; my bones don't feel the same as they did when I was in high school. I hate the excuse 'Not ready yet', because you're never going to be ready. But to each her own, I guess." When I told her that perhaps it was different because she's in Cleveland and it's impractical for residents of large cities, she said that she was living in a San Francisco 980 square foot house with four children and a husband (I don't know if they had pets or not), which was expensive but they did make it. She was even hospitalized for severe depression and bipolar episodes with four tots, so that's really something. I've also added that people's perceptions of wealth and luxury are varying, so who knows. It's a sharp contrast to society's "everyone goes to university until 35", though.

All celebrities have nannies or at least their siblings or parents to watch the kids. There's really no way. They're forced to jog three hours a day, film new movies, sing new songs, and go out. They won't show you, but they cannot do the dirty work all by themselves — I had written in another post here awhile back, you see them on the streets of Hollywood decked out in Chanel, carrying Prada and pushing a stroller over coffee and silk scarves. There's a lot more to it than that.

Believe it or not, I have never watched a single episode of their TV shows, nor have I read the books they managed to get published. Everything can be found at The Huffington Post or People.com, combined with Wikipedia.
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 2:26 AM
I hate people who have kids, I really really hate them, and the younger they have kids and the more they have, the more I hate them. STOP ALREADY IT'S NOT A BLESSING ANYMORE IT STOPPED BEING A BLESSING A LONG TIME AGO!

-gets chainsaw-
Scholar
Original Poster
#49 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 2:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Anthoric
I hate people who have kids, I really really hate them, and the younger they have kids and the more they have, the more I hate them. STOP ALREADY IT'S NOT A BLESSING ANYMORE IT STOPPED BEING A BLESSING A LONG TIME AGO!

-gets chainsaw-

Y'know, me and my sister kept betting when Michelle would stop. I'm surprised Jim Bob hasn't run out of sperm yet. They started at twenty-three and are still going, twenty-one years later.
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 2:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 1ove
Y'know, me and my sister kept betting when Michelle would stop. I'm surprised Jim Bob hasn't run out of sperm yet. They started at twenty-three and are still going, twenty-one years later.

I don't mind people who are well established having one or 2 at an older age, but these white-trash undereducated people spewing out 5-6, these whores that have 3 before they're old enough to legally drink, and these sheep minded suburban families spewing out 3-4....

That's when I have a problem.

I'm not having kids. Period. If I want one I'll do the responsible thing and adopt one after I'm well established.
Page 2 of 3