Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
#26 Old 25th Aug 2009 at 8:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rabid
Have you heard his cover of You Belong to Me? It's simply exquisite.

Yes, I have.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#27 Old 25th Aug 2009 at 8:57 AM
dead: Billy Holiday + John Lennon
alive: Utada Hikaru + Steve Perry

Why,

Billy is simply a legend, and John is a legend that died too soon.

Utada can probably sing herself out of jail, and Steve is just the best lead singer of all time!
Forum Resident
#28 Old 25th Aug 2009 at 9:51 AM
I agree, Utada sings amazingly well.
Field Researcher
#29 Old 25th Aug 2009 at 3:05 PM
You know, I don't believe in topics like this. Music is such a subjective thing. Like Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford may be wonderful with the Broadway stuff. But could they handle hard rock vocals in their natural element? Hayley Williams may rock out when she's with Paramore. But would she have the vocal discipline to do what Brightman does?

One of my favorite names from the past that hasn't gotten mentioned so far is Joanie Sommers. And while Joanie did transition from bubblegum to jazz standards and did well, I wouldn't dream of porting her into 2009 and make her replace Hayley Williams in Paramore. I can't envision her voice standing up to the vocal demands Williams places on hers.

This is not baseball. You can't say Norah Jones is a better singer than Chrissie Hynde and have hard, fast, statisical data to back you up like you can saying that Babe Ruth was a better power hitter than Jim Rice. Music is too subjective and performs too many different functions. Who is the BEST singer in the world? NOBODY. The question is unanswerable.
Instructor
#30 Old 31st Aug 2009 at 6:15 AM Last edited by TrillianRikku : 31st Aug 2009 at 6:44 AM.
Default my top three favorite singers and songs
Sharon den Adel lead singer of Within Temptation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhzJ...feature=related

Tarja Turunen First Singer of Nightwish http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdWh...feature=related

Amy Lee lead singer of Evanescence http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idd_92ajjwY
Instructor
#31 Old 31st Aug 2009 at 9:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cappyboy
You know, I don't believe in topics like this... Music is such a subjective thing. Music is too subjective and performs too many different functions. Who is the BEST singer in the world? NOBODY. The question is unanswerable.

I agree wholeheartedly. I could hear Pavarotti sing and it does nothing to me, no matter how technically perfect his voice could be. And then I hear John Denver's Annie's Song and I cry. It's all just a matter of personal taste and what we look for in the music.

My favorite male singer is Ville Valo and my favorite female singer is Emilie Autumn. They both write their own music and lyrics, they are not afraid to try different styles and their songs make me feel, it's not just a pretty piece of music that leaves you the moment it stops. It makes me happy, it helps me when I need it... I can listen to them for hours, none can touch my heart the way they do, but still I would never tell Ville or Emilie are the best singers in the world, because I know they're not perfect... But I love them anyway
Test Subject
#32 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 5:39 AM
The Best singer for me might be not best for others. I would like to say George Jones is best for me as i like old music. I am a big fan of his voice quality. His songs make me crazy about music. He had given all different kind of songs.
Scholar
#33 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 9:32 PM
Pat Benatar has an awesome rock voice. It's powerful and precise. I also like Sarah McLaughlin, whom I think has been mentioned. Liza Minelli has a great voice too, I love her singing in Cabaret.

I have a hard time choosing on male singers because there are so many to choose from. I guess my answer right now would be Harry Nilsson. I love Without You, 1941, Me and My Arrow...the list goes on.
Test Subject
#34 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 12:29 PM
Michael Jackson is my overall favourite.

Celine Dion's quite good, as is Amy Lee from Evanescence.

Sig Coming Soon
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 3:30 PM
Thom Yorke (Radioheads lead singer) for me.
Mad Poster
#36 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 11:04 PM
For me it would have to be out of three: Nick Cave, Damien Rice and Lisa Hannigan.
Theorist
#37 Old 11th Sep 2009 at 12:13 AM
Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits.

Edit: And Mike Patton and Al Jourgensen.
Test Subject
#38 Old 11th Sep 2009 at 1:42 AM
I'm a huge fan of John Legend, but will agree that Regina Spektor has a damn good voice.
Test Subject
#39 Old 11th Sep 2009 at 6:40 PM
It depends what you means by singer. I love both L.B. Petrov and Peter Tägtgren's style of vocals, but I wouldn't really call that singing.

Also, Rob Halford.

last.fm

“ I love women, I think they should be naked backstage all the time. I love looking at them.”
- Lemmy
Undead Molten Llama
#40 Old 11th Sep 2009 at 7:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Oaktree
Pat Benatar has an awesome rock voice. It's powerful and precise.

I would second this. Except that when she sings opera, she is, in my opinion, WAY better. It's a pity she decided not to pursue her classical career, in my opinion, but I guess you have to follow your muse.

Then again, I don't think there is a single best singer in the world. It would depend on the genre of music. You cannot really compare people singing classical and people singing rock. It just doesn't compute.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 12th Sep 2009 at 2:33 AM
I think the best singer is Johnny Cash.

Of course, if I were to be even more subjective and just pick the singer from my favorite band, I'd say Bono

If you were a Sim, would anybody want to play you?
Alchemist
#42 Old 12th Sep 2009 at 6:02 AM
utada hikaru.... >_>
<_<

shes practically the only one i can listen to sing live, using her real voice.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Banned
#43 Old 12th Sep 2009 at 10:07 PM
I have quite a few..
Amy Lee of Evanescence
Robert Pattinson
Leona Lewis
Adam Lambert
Charlotte Martin
and a lot more that I can't think of right now.
They all have amazing voices, but couldn't sing what the others can.
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 12th Sep 2009 at 10:12 PM
Robert Pattinson from Twilight sings?

I like Lesley Gore and of course Frank Sinatra. My parents put Frankie on EVERY Sunday since I was 3 years old/

"This is night, Diddykins. That's what we call it when it goes all dark like this."

::::Participating Currently In Picture Perfect: Cycle 2::::
Banned
#45 Old 12th Sep 2009 at 11:14 PM
Yeah, he's got 2 songs actually in the movie. The part where Bella almost dies (too bad she didn't) and the part in the restaurant, it's playing in the background.
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 12th Sep 2009 at 11:43 PM
This might sound a little odd, but I'd have to say Corey Taylor from Slipknot and Stone Sour. I just think he is one of the few people who can scream well, and he also has a beautiful voice when he's singing. Plus, the lyrics he writes are amazing and often deep, especially in his softer stuff.

Hello there, the angel from my nightmare.
The shadow in background of the morgue.
The unsuspecting victim of darkness in the valley.
We can live like Jack and Sally, if we want. - I Miss You - Blink-182

Read my Sim story "Searching For Something " HERE
Test Subject
#47 Old 13th Sep 2009 at 6:18 PM
Katy Perry. (:

Your so sad maybe you should by a Happy Meal,
Your so skinny you should really supersize the deal,
Secretly your so amused,
That nobody understands you.

-Ur so gay, by the one & only Katy Perry.
Test Subject
#48 Old 13th Sep 2009 at 7:54 PM
I agree with singing Noel UTADA!!!!
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 13th Sep 2009 at 11:36 PM
hayley williams, her range is amazing.
Field Researcher
#50 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 8:33 PM
I have a few favourites from different types of music...
jeff buckley
thom yorke
and I agree with chemicalcaitlin with corey taylor
and the two vocalists in sikth work well together even if it is a bit different...
and a load of other people who aren't technically 'singers' but have good voices for the music I like.

My Sims 3 Creations
Nothing matters. We're essentially all highly evolved monkeys clinging to a rock that's falling through space and the rock itself is dying. Frankie Boyle.
Just call me sam its easier.
Page 2 of 12