Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#51 Old 30th Jul 2009 at 3:42 PM
Is a hash generator required as part of the cloner?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 31st Jul 2009 at 2:23 AM
Ive been using this tut for a while now everything works great when doing black and white only. Ive just finished a color painting and I want it in my game. Ive tried using the object cloner too but it still comes out black and white. What am I doing wrong? Thanks
Tonya
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 31st Jul 2009 at 2:56 AM
Ok I should have gave more info...I use photoshop and I have to save it DXT5 Ive tried the others and they dont seem to work. The only thing Im unsure about is when I import back into S3PE I only import the file I changed. I export all of the IMG files but only import the object, stbl, and the img file I changed. There is always at least 2 other files I dont import. Im going to do another painting in a few and import all the files and see if that fixes it but Im thinking Ive already tried that.
Thanks
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 31st Jul 2009 at 3:18 AM
I don't use photoshop, but if you made your painting and then copy/pasted it into the dds, is it possibly the file format? I had some issues when I accidentally pasted in my unflattened png file instead of the jpg version. If you are having the issue with both this method and the cloner, it definitely seems like it is a step in your editing which must be the problem.

Boredom is counterrevolutionary.
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#55 Old 31st Jul 2009 at 3:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Is a hash generator required as part of the cloner?

I don't think so, Inge; at least, I haven't found a case where I needed one when using the cloner. This came up in the context of the pre-cloner tutorial steps.
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 31st Jul 2009 at 4:25 AM
Ok I just tried it again. This time instead of just importing the IMG file I changed I imported them all. Still didnt do anything different. Im not sure what you mean by file format? The picture itself is in photoshop image but ive done others that were in png and jpg both. All ways do the same thing. I use DXT5 when saving to dds because 1 or 3 didnt work for me at all. Yea I always flatten the image before I save it and everything else works great just the color. I took screenshots this time. Hopefully Ill be able to fix it. So when you upload your files image, stbl, and object, you ONLY upload the image file you worked on or do you upload ALL the files? I always have 3 extra image files that are not being used. But like I said before its only with colored pics black and white look great. It seems like the background is based off whatever color the frame is. If I change the frame color in game then the background color kind of changes a bit too. Heres some pics of my original picture I made in photoshop along with what it looks like in game.

Thanks
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 31st Jul 2009 at 7:12 AM
Hmm... Weird. I did some tests with the same painting in GIMP to see if I could replicate this somehow but no luck. Maybe check out Daluved's tutorial on editing the base texture - http://www.sims2wiki.info/Sims_3:Cr...ew_Base_Texture - to see if there is some info there that helps. I just paste directly on the base texture and don't do anything with channels. Are you maybe pasting into the alpha? (Which would explain why DXT1 doesn't work for you either, I think.)

Sorry I can't be any more help but I'm sure a PS user will be by soon and tell you exactly what the issue is.

Scholar
#58 Old 31st Jul 2009 at 3:47 PM Last edited by cameranutz2 : 31st Jul 2009 at 10:04 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Shep
You have to type 00 00 C8 42.

Ahaa! Let me try that, thanks Shep!

Sometimes this ol' brain just doesn't function correctly!

EDIT: Now that I have entered the correct code, all is working!
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 31st Jul 2009 at 5:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Valencay
Hmm... Weird. I did some tests with the same painting in GIMP to see if I could replicate this somehow but no luck. Maybe check out Daluved's tutorial on editing the base texture - http://www.sims2wiki.info/Sims_3:Cr...ew_Base_Texture - to see if there is some info there that helps. I just paste directly on the base texture and don't do anything with channels. Are you maybe pasting into the alpha? (Which would explain why DXT1 doesn't work for you either, I think.)

Sorry I can't be any more help but I'm sure a PS user will be by soon and tell you exactly what the issue is.

No what I do is very simple. The image is in .jpg I just highlight the image of the original painting. Resize my image down to fit. Copy, paste onto the original with RGB highlighted, alpha isnt highlighted at all. Then I flatten the image and save it using DXT5. Ive also saved it using other ways too but it still comes out black and white. Im using the right .img file to start with because I always use the only one with the actually colored picture on it. Well its not really black and white, its more like whatever color the frame is. You can see the different designs on the painting but they are dark. I might try GIMP instead. Im stressing over this and even people in PS are not having trouble with it.
But thanks for trying to help me. Im not sure what to do really. Seems like Im the only person getting it wrong.

Thanks
Tonya
Lab Assistant
#60 Old 1st Aug 2009 at 12:43 AM
Tonya, I paste into RGBA - all 4 channels visible, not just RGB, so maybe that is the issue? But again, that is GIMP and it handles alpha channels a bit differently, I think.

Lab Assistant
#61 Old 1st Aug 2009 at 2:52 AM
Well I did the tut again for the object cloner and when I used the poster type painting it worked. I think it has something to do with the alpha because when I use any other type of painting it doesnt work. As far as I can tell, I cant paste on ALL the channels. When I highlight alpha the others are not, and the same for the other way around. I did get one working in game and thats enough for me until I can try something else out. Ill try GIMP tomorrow I guess. Maybe its a little easier than PS. Anyway, thank you for the help.
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 1st Aug 2009 at 6:24 PM
I seem to be having a different issue than most of you, everything has been alright for me, except the fact that my painting seems to show up blue in the game...not just the catalog description but the painting itself, the frame shows up fine, descriptions are fine, etc.

I have tried deleting the package and starting from scratch, double and triple checking every step, and the same thing has happened to me twice.

What could be causing this?
Test Subject
#63 Old 16th Aug 2009 at 2:41 PM
Hi, I have followed through the steps of this guide, but I am having a small problem.

Basically I have a new painting in the game, but the thumbnail only shows a blue frame with no picture. If I select the painting and place it in the game that's all I get too. But, if I hit the randomise button on the picture details, then everything works and my new picture is displayed in game only.

I am a bit stuck and nobody above seems to have had this issue, and pointers on where the problem might be ?

Thanks.
Test Subject
#64 Old 16th Aug 2009 at 8:30 PM
I love this Tutorial, but i have Problems ingame... When i hung up the pic there are a question mark, not the picture ive made...

(sorry for my english, but it is not may native language)
Test Subject
#65 Old 21st Jun 2010 at 12:20 AM
first off what the heck is a dds file and why do you have to use them? can you not just drop images into screenshots and paint them that way?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#66 Old 21st Jun 2010 at 12:22 AM
Alchemist
#67 Old 21st Jun 2010 at 1:55 AM Last edited by orangemittens : 21st Jun 2010 at 2:27 AM.
Hmm..scratch my previous. I need more reading comprehension skills over here it would seem. Anyway, this tutorial seems to be about just making standard paintings. There's a newer tutorial for that in the tutorials section...which this old tutorial doesn't link to. It's still linking to the very outdated Xanathon one. It's like trying to get rid of dandelions that thing is...every time you uproot it in one place there it shows up in another...snicker

I can't tell what you mean emohimfan...what is it you're trying to do?

HL, perhaps you know something I don't about what this question is about but this thread seems to be about standard paintings...not paintings the Sims paint.
Test Subject
#68 Old 21st Jun 2010 at 5:36 AM
well that just stinks, i like how on the sims 2 you could put pics into your custom pics folder and sims were able to paint them in the game. kinda lame they didnt do that for this game. and no you cant paint from a folder i tried lol. so im still not quite sure on the dds files can you take a jpeg and make it into one or what?
Alchemist
#69 Old 21st Jun 2010 at 11:19 AM
lol...it all becomes more clear. You can open your jpeg in many editors and save it as a dds. You'll probably need to get the NVidia plugin for it from here though:

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/...ds_plugins.html
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#70 Old 21st Jun 2010 at 2:57 PM
The original subject of this thread is creating custom paintings, and yes it is outdated but it was buried many pages back and hadn't been replied to in almost a year. Search and basic reading should have brought up something newer, but this page could have been linked from another site too. Please see Tutorials:TS3_Basic_Object_Creationwiki for more up-to-date tutorials on creating custom paintings. The last op wanted to create custom "painted" paintings in game like TS2 could do. This was added in a later EP (I think Pets) so it may yet be added to an EP by EA.

Locking since the original subject has a more up-to-date tutorial available.
Locked thread | Locked by: HugeLunatic Reason: Outdated ... Please see wiki for more up-to-date tutorial
Page 3 of 3