Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#26 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 2:20 PM Last edited by fluttereyes : 17th Jul 2009 at 3:05 PM.
You won't believe this but it's happening again with a dress, this time I can see the old alpha through it. It's been a couple of days since I did the bra and I have forgotten already. I'm actually thinking in this case it's the mipmaps on that tank dress with the frills at the bottom, so looking into changing them.

Twinkledoll, with the bra, after I had replaced the alpha, I went back in and erased any excess again and went over it all tidying it up. It just worked.

This time my dress is completely the new design I made, yet when I open it in the game, I still see the pleats at the bottom. Also I raised the neckline and that part is less opaque than the rest, I can still see the original alpha through it, minus the sleeves for some reason, it's very weird. I''ll look into the bumpmap thing and if it isn't that, scrap the whole thing and start again.

It's always something really stupid you've missed. I think I'll start writing down what I'm doing so I can refer to it again if it works.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 10:09 PM
I am probably totally wrong, but my feeling is that you only edited the alpha and not the base texture? But as said, I am probably totally wrong. (as answer to the shot above)

My username here is sweetichigodream, but I am better known as Helena and/or Funny Bunny! :) would love to change username...
Scholar
Original Poster
#28 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 10:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetichigodream
I am probably totally wrong, but my feeling is that you only edited the alpha and not the base texture? But as said, I am probably totally wrong. (as answer to the shot above)

Yep, that's exactly what I did wrong. I'll go back to it tomorrow and get something on top of it. Thanks for telling me that
Mother Function
retired moderator
#29 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 11:04 PM
For that dark neckline, you might have to adjust the specular. But try sweets's suggestion first.

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Scholar
Original Poster
#30 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 11:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daluved1
For that dark neckline, you might have to adjust the specular. But try sweets's suggestion first.

Are there any tutorials on speculars, I have no clue what that is? I know it's do do with light, or at least I think so.
Mother Function
retired moderator
#31 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 12:36 AM
I don't know...I just saw a similar problem like yours and to fix it, they said to change the specular. I'm going to try and find that thread.

Edit: here it is
http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=354551

Scholar
Original Poster
#32 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 12:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daluved1
I don't know...I just saw a similar problem like yours and to fix it, they said to change the specular. I'm going to try and find that thread.

My impression of it is, the original alpha didn't properly delete. I went in and created a new layer and did a texture but it did nothing for the problem. I'd appreciate it if you could find that thread for me, I'll look for it myself too. Thanks for the help, just when I though I had it pegged, it turned round on me
Mother Function
retired moderator
#33 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 12:44 AM
Found it

look towards the bottom.

Scholar
Original Poster
#34 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 12:46 AM Last edited by fluttereyes : 18th Jul 2009 at 1:01 AM.
lol, so where is it?

Other people are having problems with this too, looks like it could be bump maps, problem is, CTU doesn't export them too.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...d=1#post2712356

EDIT*
I've read a few threads that are talking about this same thing, so I guess it is the bump maps and I just wasted a whole day redoing this over and over. I have no clue how to use postal or about bumpmaps so I guess I'm stuck till someone comes up with a solution that is more clever at this than me. Back to the drawing board, I'll need to use a different mesh to try to do what I want
Mother Function
retired moderator
#35 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 1:20 AM
The link is in my previous post. Well technically the one before my previous post.

Scholar
Original Poster
#36 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 10:29 AM
Thanks Daluved, though it doesn't really help as there is no answer to how it was done. None of this is in any of the tutorials, like masks, speculars, etc. I'll have to work through the sims 2 tutorials I think until someone comes up with a tutorial. Think is, the CTU just doesn't pull these files so I'd have to go in and find them, I'm not good at that. I don't know which is which in there
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 11:33 AM
I don't think that your "darker neck part" problem is due to the bump map (there is a bump map problem but not in this case), it's due to the specular texture.

I hope the following is understandable...

Basically, the specular texture specifies how shiny your cloth will be.
This is your current specular:

All the part that you have modified in the main texture (the collar), have stayed black (or matte) in the specular texture. This gives you that big black area.
The easiest way to edit it is simply to use (copy/paste) your main texture and modify it by following the "rules": black=matte, white=shiny.
Scholar
Original Poster
#38 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 2:01 PM Last edited by fluttereyes : 18th Jul 2009 at 4:56 PM.
I did do that. I tried making the whole thing white, then grey, then black, none of these options worked. I thought maybe specular was a different file. Obviously not.

I changed the alpha 5 times, I made a new texture, three times. None of it seemed to work. I will have another go at it though and see if I can work out what you mean, perhaps there is something lese I didn't do, but I doubt it to be honest. I was at that dress for about 10 hours in total yesterday. I just want the pleats to go away, problem is, they seem to be on top of the alpha I made, I can see the new dress underneath

EDIT* I found out how to get the specular from CAS. I painted the whole thing dark grey, I used the result to replace the original specula and now I am back to a plain tank ruffle dress.

I'm starting the whole project over again and doing each step carefully keeping the specular in mind and changing that at the same time.

Anyone know why changing the specular would completely delete my alpha?

When saving the specular I should save it as no alpha, right? No?

Quote: Originally posted by Shep
I don't think that your "darker neck part" problem is due to the bump map (there is a bump map problem but not in this case), it's due to the specular texture.

I hope the following is understandable...

Basically, the specular texture specifies how shiny your cloth will be.
This is your current specular:

All the part that you have modified in the main texture (the collar), have stayed black (or matte) in the specular texture. This gives you that big black area.
The easiest way to edit it is simply to use (copy/paste) your main texture and modify it by following the "rules": black=matte, white=shiny.
Page 2 of 2