Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 5:08 PM
For the person who asked about cars, yes there are cars (and bikes). :D
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#28 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 5:31 PM
Is the story progression toggle still broken?
Field Researcher
#29 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 5:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GSSMsmartgirl
I just got to play a tiny bit today...only an hour or two...so I haven't really had time to flesh out stuff....

but the amount of stuff - just even making a sim - is overwhelming! Did anyone else experience that? I spent my whole time just making the sim - I never did that before in TS2. I mean, I had alot of content in that game, but I still pretty much knew basically which face I'd like to use, and which hair color, and which (in general) clothing, but this is ridiculous! I absolutely LOVE the create a style feature - it has made mundane maxis clothing wearable for me!

I'll let you guys know more when I actually get to playing the game...which probably wont be for several more hours!

Oh, CAS seems so cool! I can't wait to check it out! I have to wait until thursday to get it, because I live in europe "/ At least I don't live in britain, they have to wait until friday.

I know that it's just two days, but hey! It's a long time if you think about it all day long "/

ingeborgsk
Alchemist
#30 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 5:37 PM
I find the need decay rather atrocious. I still have to chase moods, and my Sims get home from work absolutely drained and never want to do much more than sleep until the carpool is about to arrive. And they work Mon-Fri, and they never have any money.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 5:42 PM
I'm not even going to read the other replies before I give my honest opinion here. Now, I must admit, I haven't actually gone in and played the neighborhood yet, but I've spent the last 3 hours trying the CAS. In that length of time, I was only able to create TWO Sims. Yes, it is that overwhelming! My first impression of CAS is that I'm not very impressed with many aspects of it.

Am I the only one who thinks their necks are too big for their heads? There is no separate option (that I could find) to change the thickness of the neck. The only way to get it smaller is to change the Sim's weight and muscles. But, in order to make the neck look "normal", the male Sims have to be incredibly skinny with toothpick legs.

You really can't change the shape of the face very much, either. The jawline parameters they've establised are entirely too wide, and it makes their heads look boxy and puffy. If you elongate them enough to make them proportional, they always seem to look like Perez Hilton or Rich Little from the side.

I'm also not enjoying the fact that there is no option for making the eyebrows thicker or thinner. It's like, what you see is what you get. Period. You can change the angle and the curve, but that's it.

The male hairstyles need serious help. I'm hoping that the custom content wizards will master this one quickly, so these male Simmies can have decent hair.

I really wish they had just revamped the Body Shop tools for this CAS, because even though it seems like we have "infinite options", we really don't.

On the plus side, I do love the fact that you can customize pretty much all the clothing, as well as the colors of just about anything you can think of. I'm also liking the personality traits. I can't wait to get started with my actual stories to see how my Sims are going to be.
Field Researcher
#32 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 5:44 PM
I love the new traits also, I picked Evil and Genius and really raised a smile when world domination (leader of the free world) became a lifetime aspiration

Might take a while to get there from Decoy in the Criminal career
Scholar
#33 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 5:48 PM
Sims created in CAS at the same time will have different lengths of time remaining at the life stage you chose for them. This is randomly assigned by the AI and can't be changed/fixed at this time.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 5:58 PM
"Hopefully we'll be able to get a picture thread started soon!!! " Where is the picture thread because I saw a locked thread that said it should be posted in the pic thread and I can't find a sims3 pic thread. I really should be working....about 5 more hours till I get to play UNLESS they catch me doing this - then I think I will have all the time I want!!! lol!!
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 6:00 PM
I like it so far. I have made my sim family, and I moved them in. I like that I can edit almost anything to change it's patterns and colors. The graphics are good, and the game seems to be running smoothly.

For those of you that have got the game... when you're in buy mode and you're moving objects along is there a HUGE streak of green following you around from like the sky? I don't know why it's happening. It's annoying. I am used the little green square underneath the object not a whole green thing following it around. I just wanted to make sure it's not my computer...
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 6:02 PM
Thanks for the review.

Quote:
Guy is a Daredevil. I actually laughed out loud when I realized that pretty much everything he does has "extreme" in front of it (like "extreme nap").

It's funny the first time,then it's not. I'm really disappointed,almost angry about this. I expected the traits to be more....more. Extreme *anything* is not different to normal *anything* all they do is go,"WOOHOO" before they eat or shower. It's truly disappointing to me.

Quote:
-Speed. I was never one for rushing through my Sim's daily routine in TS1 and 2. In fact, I enjoyed watching them do their thing. However, even Ultra Speed feels slow.

Damn,this is what I was talking about yesterday on here. I thought that it was a problem only in my game and that hopefully others won't have that problem but they do. Argh. Yes,ultra speed is exactly the same as the first speed,it's completely useless.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 6:03 PM
I have to wait till tomorrow to get the game but I am really excited. I don't really try to hard when making a sim, but I do try and make a distinguishing feature that can be passed on through the ages. I do have some questions for the peopl who have the game.
Q1: Have any of you gotten your sims married and had kids?
Q2: Are the controls more complicated? (Cause when I was watching previews of people playing it looked more difficult.)
Q3: Have any of u tried the premades? (I would love to hear one of the stories but if you don't want to spoil it could you private message me with the story?)
If any of u could answer these that would be great!

Edit: Wait so how many speeds are there? Cause if there is only two speeds and they are both the same.......w.t.f?!?!?! That seems to make no sense at all.
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 6:12 PM Last edited by mishibob : 2nd Jun 2009 at 6:33 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by gwynne
They did seem to scale the graphics back for their seamless neighborhood. But what kind of video chipset are you running? If it's Intel, don't expect miracles.

Sorry if I'm double posting but I want to add that I have an Intel 965 Express Chipset and at first it was wonky but I updated the driver and now it works perfectly with all high settings.

edit:
Quote:
Am I the only one who thinks their necks are too big for their heads?

YES. I think that's why they look like they have double chins,it's not so much the face but the thick neck of theirs. :/

edit:
Quote:
Edit: Wait so how many speeds are there? Cause if there is only two speeds and they are both the same.......w.t.f?!?!?! That seems to make no sense at all.

There are 4 speeds. The first 3 are just like in the sims 2 while the fourth speed is just a button that when you click on it,it'll go as 'fast' as the third speed until the action that the sim is doing (like eating) is completed then it'll automatically change back to the first speed. Sorry if I'm being confusing. D:
What I meant to say is that the third speed (like in the sims 2) is just as slow as if you weren't trying to fast forward at all.
Alchemist
#39 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 6:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mishibob
Sorry if I'm double posting but I want to add that I have an Intel 965 Express Chipset and at first it was wonky but I updated the driver and now it works perfectly with all high settings.

if you're playing on high on an integrated chipset, I guess EA was on the mark with the "grandma's computer" comment a few months ago
Test Subject
#40 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 6:25 PM
I can't wait to get this game, would have it already but I just had a baby last week. So I sent my husband out to get now I have to wait till he gets back, and he's taking far 2 long.

" Do you know how feels to be afraid, lying there frozen, with my eyes wide wide open. Do you know how it feels to find a trace, of words unspoken, with my eyes wide open. I KNOW YOUR SECRET !" -A.S.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 6:37 PM
congrats on the little one!
Test Subject
#42 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 7:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by candyapplegirl
I'm not even going to read the other replies before I give my honest opinion here. Now, I must admit, I haven't actually gone in and played the neighborhood yet, but I've spent the last 3 hours trying the CAS. In that length of time, I was only able to create TWO Sims. Yes, it is that overwhelming! My first impression of CAS is that I'm not very impressed with many aspects of it.

Am I the only one who thinks their necks are too big for their heads? There is no separate option (that I could find) to change the thickness of the neck. The only way to get it smaller is to change the Sim's weight and muscles. But, in order to make the neck look "normal", the male Sims have to be incredibly skinny with toothpick legs.

You really can't change the shape of the face very much, either. The jawline parameters they've establised are entirely too wide, and it makes their heads look boxy and puffy. If you elongate them enough to make them proportional, they always seem to look like Perez Hilton or Rich Little from the side.

I'm also not enjoying the fact that there is no option for making the eyebrows thicker or thinner. It's like, what you see is what you get. Period. You can change the angle and the curve, but that's it.

The male hairstyles need serious help. I'm hoping that the custom content wizards will master this one quickly, so these male Simmies can have decent hair.

I really wish they had just revamped the Body Shop tools for this CAS, because even though it seems like we have "infinite options", we really don't.

On the plus side, I do love the fact that you can customize pretty much all the clothing, as well as the colors of just about anything you can think of. I'm also liking the personality traits. I can't wait to get started with my actual stories to see how my Sims are going to be.

My god, you're not alone! You're the first person I've seen so far to mention the Sims Body Shop. I agree with you whole heartedly. I really, really wish they had revamped the Body Shop and put it in CAS for TS3. The facial customizations were so, so, so much better. But not to say TS3 CAS is horrible. There are a lot of options, but I'm with you. I wasn't too impressed either.

I made mostly female sims, but they all came out looking so similar because of the face shape. That drove me nuts. I like the hair color customization, doing roots and tips, and whatnot, as well as the customization of the colors of the clothing. I also like the difference in body size and muscle mass.

But the drawbacks in TS3 CAS were very disappointing to me. Creating a Sim in TS3 actually gives me this very strong urge to go back to TS2 and use the Body Shop... o.o
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 7:07 PM
Sims defo inherit parents features and traits, unfortunately most sims look alike, so it's not easy to discern who belongs to whom at a glance. Playing around with the babymaker in CAS is good fun though.
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 7:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sonance
My god, you're not alone! You're the first person I've seen so far to mention the Sims Body Shop. I agree with you whole heartedly. I really, really wish they had revamped the Body Shop and put it in CAS for TS3. The facial customizations were so, so, so much better. But not to say TS3 CAS is horrible. There are a lot of options, but I'm with you. I wasn't too impressed either.

Glad I'm not the only one! Granted, Body Shop had it's issues, too... but at least all the Sims didn't come out looking like they had pumpkin-heads with bull necks. Sigh. I miss my pretties from TS2 already.
Test Subject
#45 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 7:10 PM
DESPERATELY in need of CC... *moderately disappointed*
Test Subject
Original Poster
#46 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 7:23 PM
Hmmm, it looks like there's slowly a divide forming between people who are just not feelin' TS3 and those that are. If I wasn't on a Mac I would still have TS2 installed because I had a great time with it, but I see TS3 as becoming more of a hobby for me, which is what I really wanted. For me, the sheer amount of creative possibilities are exciting, and after adjusting my screen resolution the picture has become much more clear (what a stupid thing to forget to check... )

coltraz, did you pick traits that would speed up need decay, especially ones from the "physical traits" category? I've noticed my Sims with traits from that group do have a noticeable difference in decay compared to others. Also, how many Sims are you playing at a time? I'm starting off slow and have played two different households, each with one Sim, so maybe that's why it doesn't seem so bad to me.

candyapplegirl, I agree with you 100% about eyebrows and male hair in CAS. I spent a looooong time trying to find a way to thin my first Sim's eyebrows, but no luck there.

Moonring05, I have not experienced the green streak. I'm not very tech savvy, but I'm sure there's someone else here who might have an idea on how to fix it.

mishibob, I understand where you're coming from with your disappointment. I guess I look at the traits as positive, negative, and random-as-hell. The last group seem to be just to give our Sims extra character and I like that, but I can also see how you would expect more. And as for speed... ugh. That needs to be fixed. Now.

dlow681, congrats on the baby! Do you think you'll be able to handle a child AND a town full of Sims?

And as for your questions Babynerd_16:
Q1. Not yet.
Q2. The controls aren't complicated, they just take some getting used to. Some are even the same as TS2. What is complicating is the neighborhood menu. It isn't the most user intuitive in the beginning, so make sure you have your manual handy. Like another poster in this thread, it took me awhile to figure out how to just switch families.
Q3. I don't want to spoil the surprise of uncovering all the family secrets, but I will tell you about my AMAZING experience playing the Crumplebottom house - - -

It was late at night on the eve of Agnes' birthday to becoming an adult when she was awoken by a burglar. She lives in a very nice house and the burglar alarm went off, but before the cops arrived, her dead husband, Erik, floated out of his urn that she had moved inside and scared the burglar out to the police waiting in the front. When Agnes saw him (the ghost), they hugged and then started slow dancing to the classical music (which is her favorite) from the stereo Erik turned on. Agnes then transitioned into an adult, she and Erik kissed, and then he floated back into his urn as the sun came up.

What's AMAZING about that is I didn't click a damn thing. In this version of The Sims, I definitely feel more like an observer pushing someone in one direction or pulling someone back from another if need be, not like a boss telling someone what to do or else all hell would break loose.
Test Subject
#47 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 7:44 PM
Thank you phorang3 and frito, I'm pretty sure I can handle both. I have a lot of help plus she's a very very good baby.

" Do you know how feels to be afraid, lying there frozen, with my eyes wide wide open. Do you know how it feels to find a trace, of words unspoken, with my eyes wide open. I KNOW YOUR SECRET !" -A.S.
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 7:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by phorang3
It was late at night on the eve of Agnes' birthday to becoming an adult when she was awoken by a burglar. She lives in a very nice house and the burglar alarm went off, but before the cops arrived, her dead husband, Erik, floated out of his urn that she had moved inside and scared the burglar out to the police waiting in the front. When Agnes saw him (the ghost), they hugged and then started slow dancing to the classical music (which is her favorite) from the stereo Erik turned on. Agnes then transitioned into an adult, she and Erik kissed, and then he floated back into his urn as the sun came up.

What? She was married before she was an adult? Was she a "young adult" or something?

That sounds cute though.

I haven't gone to the store yet to buy mine, I've been working, but I plan doing so today.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#49 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 7:48 PM
Yep, she was a young adult JUST married when her husband died on their honeymoon. I'll leave how he died for you to find out when you get your copy.
Sockpuppet
#50 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 8:02 PM
Hmm...

Before TS3 was released, I thought it will be amazing, but now it's different.

Basically all the tools are better than TS2 and the motive system is great.

But, during playing, I don't seem to be impressed by this major update.

I saw some bad points :
- There is some community buildings like restaurant where I can't see my Sim eat anymore.
- It's not possible to build a new lot anywhere I want.
- It's not possible to create a new city.
- Loading during playing cause a permanent slow, it's boring !

Maybe I need to play more.
Page 2 of 6