Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th May 2009 at 3:44 AM Last edited by rodrigues : 30th May 2009 at 3:56 AM.
Default Ehrm... is it true there is NO photoalbum?!
It seems some people already received the legal version of the game, and the photo album rumor got me SERIOUSLY worried. Is it true EA completly removed the photo album feature?

I heard the pics are good quality now and saved in EA's folder in My Documents, and that's the only place where you can access them apart from the launcher.

I don't get why they would do that, but I don't doubt. I will seriously cancel my pre order if that's true cause that's the major part of the fun for me, especially with horrible looking sims like that.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 30th May 2009 at 3:53 AM
Oh! I hope that's not true. I love my photo albums.

You can make a slideshow with text on your TS3 profile. I saw that today. People had been messing around with it. They had the option of playing music while you looked at their pictures. I liked that...but would feel weird about writing my stories there on the site.
Test Subject
#3 Old 30th May 2009 at 5:12 PM
There is no photo album in Sims 3 unfortunately, though it does save HQ photos to your folder, so you can make your own photo albums!

Test Subject
#4 Old 30th May 2009 at 7:20 PM
No photo album and no memories. =-(
Instructor
#5 Old 30th May 2009 at 8:07 PM
Lets just wait and see what happens with the game.

I did used to find the Photo Albuks etc quite limited, maybe this way we can be a lot more inventive etc.. maybe...

I think there are memories btw, just only accessible on the active family - the one you are playing so do not despair.... I could be wring and some may come and shoot me down in flames now.

**ducks**
Scholar
#6 Old 30th May 2009 at 8:38 PM
No memories, no photo albums, and no movies for special occasions such as first kiss, birth, etc.
Instructor
#7 Old 30th May 2009 at 8:47 PM
I'm missing memories most of all. Maybe it will come back in an expansion.
Instructor
#8 Old 30th May 2009 at 9:21 PM
I think with the memories we need to go on the offensive with EA. We all like them, they are very kitsh and also will help you find out what is going on with a family you switch too with the story progression switched on.

We really need something like this. We need to coordinate and get a petition going on the offical forum or something. If enough people sign it then they must listen.

If this has already been done I will go away and shut up now....
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 30th May 2009 at 9:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gwynne
No memories, no photo albums, and no movies for special occasions such as first kiss, birth, etc.

I don't really mind not having those special occasion movies, but no photo album or memories.. that's just stupid. Can't believe they left those, imo basic features out
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 30th May 2009 at 9:45 PM
I think the Memories feature is desparately needed also. Some people on MATY are saying that leave CAS made male sims and switch to another family only to come back and find out that their sim has a baby but no inclination of who the mother is. But I also worry that even if we had memories, it would just say something like "Woohoo'ed with Mystery Sim" or "Had a Child With Mystery Sim" so we would never even know anyways.
Instructor
#11 Old 30th May 2009 at 9:54 PM
ok so they have removed the memories

How about the family tree feature has that gone too?

Also how weird is that. You have a male sim who has a baby and you do not know who the mother is???

Usually the one thing you can be 100% sure of is who the mother of someone is..., hehehehe
Test Subject
#12 Old 30th May 2009 at 10:00 PM
The family tree feature is still in.
Instructor
#13 Old 30th May 2009 at 10:07 PM
So there you go, now you can find out who the momma of that baby is look at the family tree... when er it is selectable!
Field Researcher
#14 Old 30th May 2009 at 10:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sidheed
So there you go, now you can find out who the momma of that baby is look at the family tree... when er it is selectable!

Maty reports indicate that many of these children are immaculately concieved. They have no mother in the family tree and may or may not be clones of the single genetic parrent. No word yet on if this is a bug or not.

Edit: Pretty sure infants are selectable from the start in TS3, at least that is what I've infered.
Instructor
#15 Old 30th May 2009 at 10:15 PM
Oh wow so you mean there is some kind of an 'ideal sim' type like the ideal plant sim who fathers all the Spore children from TS2 Seasons?

Are the children same gendered or can they be the opposite gender?

Poor little things.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#16 Old 31st May 2009 at 12:09 AM
Why would they remove something like the photoalbum? I just cancelled my preorder and won't buy it until a expansion pack adds one. That's messed up, it's a huge part on the sims for me since Sims 1. I get people play The Sims in various ways and each one has a different favorite part on the game, but some things were just SO SIMPLE and BASIC that shouldn't be thouched!

Ok, maybe the memories creats a bunch of inconvenient files on the game data and they didn't know a way around it. But the albums? What the freack could it do wrong?
Test Subject
#17 Old 31st May 2009 at 12:12 AM
hmm i never knew that this was like a big thing for people. I think I only used it twice, i mean you can always look in the storytelling folder if you want to
Instructor
#18 Old 31st May 2009 at 12:14 AM
One thought I have had, is that even the in game photo albums mean the photos are associated with sims and their families taking up disc space. the facility is present, with more functionality on the sims 3 website... do it is still there it is just different is all.

I do not think it is worth throwing out an entire game for a feature that is only missing in the ingame sense. You can still make the album for your family. it is just more editable and you can have a spell check function too.... but to each their own I suppose.

I love Sims and so have to at least try Sims 3 to see what it is about. But judging my the new content etc and the videos I have seen it will be fun.

I really can not wait to do the whole hair colouring thing. It will be awesome.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#19 Old 31st May 2009 at 1:48 AM
You can still make your sims having memory too, just write down what they do. It's even better because you can scrap the "I met everyone" type of memories so it won't mess with the gameplay.

Seriously, I liked making histories for my family on the game. My Sims 2 family started back in 2006 and I love my photoalbum there. It's a huge part of the game for me, yes. The fact that possibility is gone unless I have the trouble of opening the game's folder and adding every single picture on Microsoft Word is beyond my comprehension. There was no need to scrap that at all, they just did. Yay at being able to upload one by one and spending countles of time uploading them to The Sims 3 website, but that's not my thing neither. I don't like sharing them with the world and having them until EA goes crazy and stop offering that option.

The flugly sims (what are they?), the removal of my favorite features, and especially the removal of in game content just so they can sell them apart for a freaking lot of money is not something that encourages me to buy the game at all. Hope others have fun, but I think I will wait...
Field Researcher
#20 Old 31st May 2009 at 3:24 AM
It's just a photo album -- I've never even used it outside of an "ooh, what does this do?" scape, so I guess I don't see what the big deal is; I've always just gone into the folder on my drive and edited everything there. Either way, it's the same tools, in a different place and possibly a different order online. From what I could tell when the site was "leaked", it's practically drag-N-drop.

True, EAxis is ripping out custom content for their own profits, but seriously, what are they selling that people actually want and need? I personally don't want 40 different varieties of beds, couches, tables, or chairs, and as far as clothes go we have the most basic meshes, and customization is virtually boundless, so I don't see the big deal there either. The only thing they never include enough of in their games is houseplants, statues, and wall-hangings, which I doubt they'll put in the S3store anyway.

Then again, to each their own, I guess.
Instructor
#21 Old 31st May 2009 at 6:31 AM
Shikonah

I agree with you. The album looks to be very easy to use, and you cna opt to share it. There are ew features that make it better and it could take a while in TS2 anyway if you had a lot of pictures, you could not copy and paste text in so you made lots and lots of silly spelling mistakes, at least if you were me you did...

The way they do custom content now means that you can be selective about what you get too. Yes there are some beds I absolutely must have, others not so much.

I have fallen in love with the storybook set online at the moment so no guess where my 1000 points will be going, but I will need to add some cash to get the 1900 it needs for that. Other than that the other styles did not appeal to me too much. Unless I decided to create a themed sim that is.

One other thing that I have in my mind, will there be the ability to upload content for fabrics etc like there is with wallpaper or are there like 100million coding implications on it?
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 31st May 2009 at 11:44 AM
one of my freinds has the sims 3, got it early off one of those sites i was not really linishing was to upsets with playing it lol anyway he had been playing it for like 72 hours straight, his alright on his 5 gen, but he moved one of the brothers out of the house to live his life as towny, anyway acouple of hours he looked back on his family tree to find he had had a kid with no mother!
i don't really know if that was the leacked or the really, hope it was the leack and was just a bug they have know fixed?
Scholar
#23 Old 31st May 2009 at 1:36 PM
The 'mother/fatherless' child thing is pretty well established. It could explain why they didn't place much importance on genetics this time--they want to make sure the population keeps increasing in story mode (there is no other mode, heh), and didn't want to go through the trouble of making those children have logical sets of parents.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#24 Old 31st May 2009 at 1:51 PM
Spawning children with only one genetic parent would seem to be the antithesis of "story." EA should have called it population progression.
Test Subject
#25 Old 31st May 2009 at 2:44 PM
Quote:
True, EAxis is ripping out custom content for their own profits, but seriously, what are they selling that people actually want and need? I personally don't want 40 different varieties of beds, couches, tables, or chairs, and as far as clothes go we have the most basic meshes, and customization is virtually boundless, so I don't see the big deal there either.

Maybe you don't, but I see clothes as a huge deal, almost every sim I have has had their own unique style, but they're styles that go within my vision of styles. From what I've seen they don't support any of my style at all in the Sims 3. None at all. Zip. Zero. Nada. Completely nothing in any way shape or form, it's like they have no sense of modern styles.

They didn't even think to try for EGL, or anything that looks remotely elegant to my eye.

I love several styles from the old style, classical gothic looks that are very elegant (not the spikes and studs and leather outfits), to the new EGL fags, to particular renditions of old 20s-50s styles and far, far more.

Quote:
The only thing they never include enough of in their games is houseplants, statues, and wall-hangings, which I doubt they'll put in the S3store anyway.

Then again, to each their own, I guess.

To each their own was the entire point of the Sims and Sims 2. Anything they didn't have you could at least rely on a modder to add in. This time around, you're going to be using their styles and what they want you to use and nothing else. Anyone with a style choice that doesn't match is completely out of luck. That's worse than leaving it out, since they're abandoning custom content makers to the wolves.

Quote:
The 'mother/fatherless' child thing is pretty well established. It could explain why they didn't place much importance on genetics this time--they want to make sure the population keeps increasing in story mode (there is no other mode, heh), and didn't want to go through the trouble of making those children have logical sets of parents.

It's still annoying, and has resulted in some very strange behavior in some sims from what I've heard.
Page 1 of 3