Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th May 2009 at 5:20 PM
Default Inge: "...we have modding for Sims 3!!!"
You know, it really warms my heart that a group of modders are interested, kind, dedicated, and selfless enough to put their heads together and work out how to get a game which many thought might not be mod-able, mod-able.

They don't do this for money or anything.

And they are so clever they can work this stuff out in under a week of having the game files at their disposal.

It's uplifting news and I think I speak for the whole Sims community when I extend a huge "THANK YOU" to the modders out there.

Source...
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 24th May 2009 at 5:30 PM
Awesome, this time I'll learn how to mod and hack, I'm inspired.

"Go on, the world is your canvas."
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 24th May 2009 at 5:35 PM
It's really exciting! I was following that thread closely and cheering all along!

I am a sweet, fluffy bunny. I live in a golden meadow surrounded by unicorns and butterflies. I have 10 nice points.

Better?
Field Researcher
#4 Old 24th May 2009 at 5:38 PM
I also have an interest in getting into mods for this itteration, but I am woefully uneducatd when it comes to programming (as in I know betwen nothing and enough to screw stuff up). I would like to get some books though... I know there aren't books on how to mod the sims, but surely there are textbooks for beginer programers. Could someone knowledgeable recomend someting?
Alchemist
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th May 2009 at 5:41 PM
That's funny, I had the same thought...sort of. I don't really think I want to get into making mods/hacks because it'll just take too long to figure it out and I'm not interested enough. But I do intend to concentrate on making meshes this time around, when the time comes. I sort of experimented with it in TS2 and I think it would be a lot of fun once you get used to it.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 24th May 2009 at 5:43 PM
Out in under a week? Hmm...I'd be suspicious about the stability of any system devised in under a week...
I'll try not to be too skeptical, because I do hope it works. If it does, well this is great news, it should allay a lot of fears!
Field Researcher
#7 Old 24th May 2009 at 5:48 PM Last edited by JaneSamborski : 24th May 2009 at 9:41 PM.
Lethal- its not a practical mod, it makes everyone in town pee themselves. Its not for play, its more of a 'oh, this is how you do it' sort of thing.

What I really want to do is programing type stuff, but in the end it may be over my head (by quite a bit), but I figure if I start now I'll be learning along with the community. If that doesn't work out I may try to work with animation type stuff, since I'm an animator by trade. And if that fails there are always textures. I just want to be invloved this go around.

Oh! and YAY for Ishmael, YAY for Inge! Hurrah!
Forum Resident
#8 Old 24th May 2009 at 5:52 PM
Ehehehe...eeew...I guess they have to start out somewhere, right? Interesting direction to take it in though.

Oooh, animation... I can't even make a simple recolor. XD I'll just let you brilliant minds take over now....
Instructor
#9 Old 24th May 2009 at 5:54 PM
Great news - I'm sure the Sims don't appreciate being forced to pee themselves though!
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 24th May 2009 at 6:22 PM
*happy dance*
Test Subject
#11 Old 24th May 2009 at 6:35 PM
You guys are amazing! I was on pins and needles all week, following your new discoveries. I never thought group peeing would make me so happy! :D
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#12 Old 24th May 2009 at 7:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JaneSamborski
What I really want to do is programing type stuff, but in the end it may be over my head (by quite a bit), but I figure if I start now I'll be learning along with the community.
If you wanna be a programmer in TS3, I hope looking at MSIL doesn't make your brain hurt as much as it makes mine. You're in for a real pain enema if you want to try that.

If that doesn't work out I may try to work with animation type stuff, since I'm an animator by trade.
I really suggest you go with this, really.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Scholar
#13 Old 24th May 2009 at 8:10 PM
I'm so happy. I was really worried that that there would be no mods for the sims 3 for ages, but something that works before the game has even been officialy released!
You truly are geniuses!!

no power in the verse can stop me
ge smak daun, gyon op nodotaim
jus nou drein jus daun
Field Researcher
#14 Old 24th May 2009 at 8:19 PM
I'm getting a little woozy with fan-girlism because JMP responded to me. I love your mods, and since I don't know what MSIL is, you are almost certainly 100% correct.

I guess this means I'm gonna go actually download milkshape, and start figuring out how to use it. It can't possibly be harder than softimage, which is what I learned on.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 24th May 2009 at 9:10 PM
Maybe now the "Sims 3 won't be mod-able" posts will stop.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#16 Old 24th May 2009 at 9:29 PM
It was Ishmael who got it working first though, and Rick who found out where to put hacks. So much as I love to be cheered I remain the first modder to make a *broken* hack for Sims 3, not a working hack

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Inventor
#17 Old 24th May 2009 at 9:56 PM
I am so grateful for all your hard work and admire you people that you know how to code. It must be really hard work to look at all the file types, encrypt them and learning what you have to do with them to get into the new system. At first it sounded all the time "the sims 3 are not moddable" and know it's so great, that you guys found again a way to make such a game much more enjoyable as it is without mods and hacks.
I can only write "hello world" in a view programming languages and know the principles of programming but because of that I can imagine how hard it is to gain such knowledge, that makes things possible for modding the sims.

You never know what’s comin’ for ya.
Test Subject
#18 Old 24th May 2009 at 10:29 PM
It is very good to hear that this game is moddable. I was worried that we'd all have to go to the monopoly EA Store to purchase new products. That was kind of a far-fetched fear, but now I'm relieved knowing that modding is slightly possible.

Good luck to all modders, and provide us with entertaining content.

Sims3Rewls
Stupid people are stupid
#19 Old 24th May 2009 at 10:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
If you wanna be a programmer in TS3, I hope looking at MSIL doesn't make your brain hurt as much as it makes mine. You're in for a real pain enema if you want to try that.

From you, that sounds really, really bad. Is it really that hard?
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
So much as I love to be cheered I remain the first modder to make a *broken* hack for Sims 3, not a working hack

AQt least you're the first. It doesn't matter if it works or not. You are the first!
Forum Resident
#20 Old 24th May 2009 at 11:04 PM
Congrats guys!!!! I confess I was really afraid of playing TS3 without our beloved hacks. . I can't put into words how happy I am.
Eminence Grise
#21 Old 25th May 2009 at 12:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
So much as I love to be cheered I remain the first modder to make a *broken* hack for Sims 3, not a working hack

You're doing a lot of community support work too, Inge, and that counts
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#22 Old 25th May 2009 at 12:51 AM
I'm getting a little woozy with fan-girlism because JMP responded to me. I love your mods, and since I don't know what MSIL is, you are almost certainly 100% correct.
On the other hand, I didn't know what it was either, so it's not hopeless. But it isn't easy.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 25th May 2009 at 2:43 AM
Things just take time and patience, really. It's not impossible. I figured the game would be moddable, just not sure to what extent. I'm glad it's being worked out, though.
Instructor
#24 Old 25th May 2009 at 3:11 AM
I also have an interest in getting into mods for this itteration, but I am woefully uneducatd when it comes to programming (as in I know betwen nothing and enough to screw stuff up). I would like to get some books though... I know there aren't books on how to mod the sims, but surely there are textbooks for beginer programers. Could someone knowledgeable recomend someting?

It looks as if S3 is coded in C# so a book on that wouldn't go remiss. However it looking like it'll be an either/or situation with how the scripts are encrypted. But there are some areas that are open to newbie modding. Not sure if it'd be worth the effort. But we will see.
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#25 Old 25th May 2009 at 4:28 AM
I'm having the -vapors- just thinking about playing an unmodded game. I think I need to go lie down now.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Page 1 of 2