Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Original Poster
#51 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 2:16 AM
Default Chapter 22, Part 2

Merle: "Search everywhere!!!!"

The spy was quicker than they had thought! Cherrie took her responsibilities as a new mother very seriously; but she was also very serious about her loyalty to Duke Arfaas.

If she found the culprit, would she have mercy knowing the culprit was, like her, new to the idea of motherhood?

Merle, more willing to try every invasive technique he could to find the culprit, quickly barged into the bathroom! His ears proved the most reliable...but he still wasn't quick enough!

Arfaas: "What have you found?"

Merle: "Our culprit took the ceiling route!"

Adam: "That's not impossible!"

Merle: "Not if we have a Centhuen Prototype on the loose! And from the looks of things...this one is sloppy!"

Arfaas could have sworn that nearly all the registered prototypes had been eliminated! Was this one the Gifted Flippo? The story he'd been given stated that the Gifted Flippo was destroyed in a blast by Gunner! Who then, was this mysterious being spying on him?

Arfaas: "An unidentifiable Centhuen Prototype? That does it! It's Musaran or nothing! Denny Levens dies...tonight!!! And when we're finished with him...we're going to hunt down that spy! This...is...unacceptable!!!"

In her panic, Candi had found herself in what could have been the most difficult situation so far...she had nowhere to go but up! And Denny wasn't there to catch her! She felt her powers slowly returning to her...but would they be enough to ensure her a safe landing?

Candi: "Come on now, Angie! Do this for your momma, please!!!"

Panic was setting in! She knew that Angie, ready to leave the womb any minute, had to stay inside long enough for Candi to make an escape!

It would be a balancing act: labor pain would make Candi stronger, but ruin her focus! Backing away from labor demands would give Candi her focus back, but make her other powers weaker!

Success! Candi wasn't certain how, but that didn't matter! Amidst the incredible pain involved in getting her powers to work, rescuing Denny was now her top priority!

Alas, she would never have been able to run, drive, or even fly fast enough! Musaran was already on the prowl in the area; and a quick call-in to his helmet was all that was necessary.

Arfaas: (hysterical) "Make quick work of him!!! And find that spy!!!"

Musaran: "They will DIIEEEE!!!!!"

SMASH!!!

Musaran wasted no time at all trashing the front door! He was not content to simply use the entrance—when he could make one!!!

Denny: "What in the???"

The smashing instantly awoke him! He knew Candi would be out late because of lab work; but he didn't count on hearing that loud a noise when she returned! He knew, right away, that the noise was not his wife.

The air was quiet again. Still, he wasn't about to take any chances! Denny knew that he had one too many enemies. It was enough that they had lied about him in horrible ways!

It was enough that he and his wife had been harassed by the police when they were the victims! It was enough that Candi's past consisted of warding off hideous monsters! But now...a break-in!

His breath hastened, and he could feel the cold sweat as he nervously held the pistol in his hand. He knew that whatever was on the other side of that door, it could be the final showdown for one or both of them...

SMACK!!!

He never saw it coming! With the gun grabbed from him effortlessly, he found himself thrown forcefully back into the room by the intruder, whose intentions couldn't have been clearer!

Denny: "You leave me...and my wife...ALONE!!!!"

Musaran: "DIIIEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!"

Denny leaped quickly to evade the first assault, but it wasn't enough! The monster quickly overpowered him!

Denny: "Put me down!!!"

Musaran: "Not till you diiiiiieeeeee!!!!"

THUD!!!

The neck! The back of his head! The creature continued its trail of abuse, as Denny found himself the rag doll in a one-sided match!

It soon dawned on Denny that the beast before him was not finished until every ounce of life was bled out!

Denny: "God!!! Keep Candi from this...somehow!!!"

Denny: (choking on the words, begging) "No! Please!!!"

Musaran: "DIIEEEEEEEE!!!!!"

Denny: "NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

SPLAT!

Just like that, one crushed and mutilated trachea later, the world would never hear from Denny Levens again.
Advertisement
Original Poster
#52 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 2:47 AM
Default Chapter 22, Part 3

Musaran: "DIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!"

The horror seemed to be happening in slow motion! That foot stomping down, alas, would be the last thing that Denny would ever see.

Candi (panting): "Not now, Angie! PLEASE!!!! Not now!!!!"

As Candi approached her own house, she could sense the danger level was very strong...but just what was she in store for? She couldn't pin it, given her powers were still not very strong...but what did she sense behind the window?

SMACK!!!

What just hit her at inhuman speed? She barely saw the nemesis coming, and he landed her straight on the ground!

Her reflexes kicked in quickly! She knew she couldn't afford to use all her centilegs to escape the pest, but she had to use some! As he pushed her to the ground, he attempted to end her life the same way he did the terrified Denny's...a stomping straight to the neck!

But she was more prepared. Spinning out of harm's way, she quickly fired a centileg - not strong enough to do much damage! His attempt to harm her worked to her benefit! He lost his grip and she ended up on the roof of the house!

Candi: "Crap!!!!"

One false step on the roof, and she fell right through! She was glad that nothing was broken, though she feared that she nearly broke a leg in the fall, and was lucky she didn't break anything else!

Horrible grunting noises came from outside as Musaran decided he wasn't about to quit his rampage until all residents of the house were extinct! But could it really be? Was he...trying to lift the street lamp out of the ground?

He wasted not time at all in hurling it violently at the house!

Musaran: "Everyone!!! DIIIEEEEEEE!!!!"

SMASH!!!!

Musaran tried in vain to run into the house and knock it over, though he did make the house shake! More debris fell on Candi as she fell to the floor, both in shock and from the pain of Angie.

Candi: "No, Angie! Not here! Please!!!"

Little did either Candi or Musaran know who else was up and about that evening! The stolen sports car turned ferociously around the corner and on to the street! Musaran could see the car in the distance, but was entirely uncertain as to who...or what...was inside!

The crazed Kelsea Linney had never given up. Inside the car was a bomb, intended for the Levens family. The police weren't getting rid of Denny fast enough for her, she reasoned. In her insanity, she felt she had to finish the job herself. She failed to predict one thing...Musaran was already there!

Kelsea: "Holy crap!!!!!"

Musaran immediately jumped on top of the car, irritated that someone dared show up to witness him killing the Levens family!

Musaran: "DIIIEEEE!!!!!"

In a panic, Kelsea determined her only option was to kamikaze the horrid thing off her windshield!

In a desperate, last split-second, she made a hard left with the car, aiming right at the broken-down front entrance of the Levens family's house!

She knew this was the end for her and the Levenses both if she pressed the button. She didn't care! All that mattered was that Denny was dead! Her hatred for Denny was all-consuming! Thanks to Musaran as well, there was simply no turning back!

A clear reminder of herfate quickly took to the air all around the house, as the car and house both erupted in a violent inferno!

The explosion caught on to Denny's lab in the basement, only adding to the power of the bomb! The whole house caved in; and the burning rubble destroyed the foundation! Candi barely had enough time to recuperate from the blast before finding herself buried in the debris!

Musaran was nowhere in sight. He reasoned that Kelsea had finished his job for him. Right before the blast, Candi thought she saw a bloody hand in the bedroom. The blast hit before she could investigate...but she knew there was no need! Her husband was dead! Her worst fears hit her...what would it mean for her to be a single mom?

First one-then another! The aching! Gradually in the darkness and the heat of the rubble, an overwhelmed Candi pulled herself up from the wreck!

The heat of the debris around her was unbearable! The smells! The horror! She knew Denny was somewhere in the rubble, but she couldn't risk any more burns to herself if she wished to give birth!

Desperately, she looked for a way out! A part of her wondered if she weren't in Hell already; but she pressed on...

Note: The uncensored version of this section can be found at the Dozerfleet Forum.
Original Poster
#53 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 3:06 AM
Default Chapter 22, Part 4

She at last reached the top; but looking down made her feel almost tempted to go back! As she looked down in the trench below, she could have sworn she saw what looked like a femur, in amongst the rubble.

Denny may have been a mistake, but he was her most important one! How could she live without him?

If Donte weren't still alive somehow, then she would be convinced - she must never let herself fall in love again!

If she weren't feeling so hot - almost burnt - she'd still have tears to cry! But as much as she tried, she couldn't get the tears to fall.

She knew that the answer lay somewhere other than that pit, yet she perversely wished she could just throw herself into that damnation below her, wanting to believe that if her life ended, Dirbine would again be at peace!

Yet, she knew that this would not solve the problem. She knew what she had to do. Yet, the pain of labor and the pain of guilt were overwhelming! How could she ever get over either in time to do what she had to? Why should she even bother trying anymore?

Candi: "No! Not now!!! Please, Angie!! Please, I beg you! Not here!!! Not now!!!!!"

It was too late. The infant would stop at nothing! Her time had come. As badly injured as Angie was, she had her mother's determination never to quit in spite the odds being overwhelming!

Candi: (shouting, and in tears) "Nooooooooo! Angie!!! Denny! Donte!!! Where are you all when I need you??? Somebody...please!!!"

The screams of labor carried on into the night, and the fire began to spread to nearby houses. Police who were not part of Merle's inner circle agreed to allow the fire department and paramedics to arrive and do their thing. They thought it best not to reveal to the inner circle the identity of the woman they recovered.

How could they, who always wished to be good cops, betray a pregnant woman to their genocidal superiors? The whole while, Arfaas and the like were terrified how Kelsea Linney's brashness might draw the National Guard's attention. Ploribus was on the move! Suspicions were being confirmed, and the Meethlites knew that the cleansing of Dirbine would be like a second Battle for Gerosha! Would they be prepared for such a humiliating defeat again?

Kelsea had forced their hands. Musaran had only functioned as the hit man he was programmed to; but Kelsea's suicide bombing was not part of the plan! There was no stopping the media at this point! They feared Ploribus would advance any day.

There was no reassurance for Candi that evening either. The flames continued to spiral as the fire trucks feverishly attempted to quench the blaze; and as Candi feared, she began to feel more sleepy than in pain from labor.

As the paramedics lifted her into the back of the ambulance, everything her eyes perceived grew very dark. The last thing she witnessed was a stranger gazing at her...wearing a leather jacket and a red bandanna.
Original Poster
#54 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 4:28 AM
Default Chapter 23: "Imaki Izuki"

The calm nothingness soon gave way to mild background noise. Real an imagined, memories flooded back to Candi. How long was she out? She barely remembered giving birth in the hospital, but the lack of pain in her abdomen suggested she was no longer pregnant.

A new sensation was forming in her...a strength beyond what was normal for her! Still, her spirit was filled with its usual frailties.

Where was Kimiyato? Her dark influence, constantly hovering over Candi? Gone! She dared not press to invite the cruel being back; but where did she go? More importantly, Candi pondered: where was her daughter?

Candi: (gasping) "What in the???"

As she snapped awake, she felt numerous strange sensations come over her all at once!

There, standing near her bed, was the stranger from before. Who was he? And what did he want from her?

Man: "Relax, Candi. It's me...your brother Tom!"

More of her strength suddenly returned, and she snapped the IV cords off and leaped up to him!

Candi: "Tom!!!! Everyone thought you were..."

Tom: "Hey, hey, easy! You're a lot stronger than I remember you being!"

Candi: "Sorry!"

Tom: "But to answer your question...yes, I'm alive! A lot of folks wish I were dead though, and I ain't just talking the Meethlites!"

Candi: "Where have you been? Erin had to take care of Miri, Marina, and me while you were gone!"

Tom: "You may want to sit down. I don't think the nurse wants you hopping around, even if you are the Gifted One! After all...you just had a baby!"

Candi: "I...never imagined you'd be willing to return for me."

Tom: "I don't have much choice now. Imaki has been keeping an eye on you, every now and then. He knows all about you, Candi! But he won't live much longer, given his heart has grown weak!

He does, however, want you and I to visit his house one least time before he goes. Ploribus is on to Merle Hourvitz! He suspects! I personally know little, but he wanted me to come out of hiding and check things out."

Candi: "Then...is it time for all the Flippos to come out of hiding? Make a stand together?"

Tom: "No. Reily won't endanger his investments. Mike and Jeff won't do anything either. Ploribus is aging, and trying to fight it! His son Lex is growing anxious. Nancy is dead.

My girlfriend...is expecting! Obviously, I've heard about Erin's death. Nobody can find Miriam or Marina. They're smart to stay under the radar!"

Candi: "So...I'm the only one that hasn't completely failed Mom and Dad!"

Tom: "Reily was never a failure. But he wasn't meant for what you are; so in a sense, yes! Me...I'm just a biker with no direction! Face it...you are the last of the Flippo family's battle pride!"

Candi: "What about Angie? Where's my baby?"

Tom: "I...think you'd better hear it from your class friend! I'm sorry! I've done my part!"

Candi: "Please! Don't leave! Not...until Ploribus shows up!"

Tom: "All right then. Imaki is the man sleeping across from you. If you need me for anything, he'll give you my contact information. I…I really hope you do well out there, whatever the heck it is you're supposed to do!"

Candi: "When you do leave...tell your son or daughter that Aunt Candi says hi!"

Tom: "I will! And don't forget to check the bathroom. I have a little gift there, that should cheer you up...a reminder of our mom!

I'll return when we need to go to Imaki's together. Much has been happening in the time you were out! Time is really precious now."

It was never reassuring to her when someone inexplicably took off. Tom's hurry to leave, especially after they hadn't seen each other in years, was particularly odd.

Yet, in front of her stood what she found to be only too obvious - the solution to a lot of her identity problems! It was so simple, and Miriam had it right all along!

Her mom had dyed her hair red frequently. Candi had cut her hair short so that she could wear masks more easily. Denny had given her a new name! Now, the picture was complete…Candi Levens was a whole new being.

She feared the nurse wouldn't appreciate the use of dyes or such so soon after a woman had given birth, so Candi decided she had to hurry.

Candi: "Uh...here goes?"

Meanwhile, Laurie was eager to see Candi, thirsty for knowledge on how her friend could have—yet again—defied death!

Laurie: "Imaki! Get back in bed! You know you're not doing well!"

Imaki: "Ugggh...where's Candice?"

Laurie: "Candi is right…"

A pause came over the forensic intern's face…where was Candi?

Candi: "I'm right here!"

Laurie: "Candi!!!! Are you completely insane, girl? Do you want to die?"

Candi: "It's okay, Laurie...I...I don't understand why, but...I've never felt better!"

Laurie: "But...just a few minutes ago you were…"

Candi: "It doesn't make any sense to me either! I know it'll be hard to explain; but there is something I was hoping you could explain to me!"

Laurie: "Candi...I don't know how you survived! Your family...they..."

Candi: "I know Denny's dead! But...what about Angie?"

Laurie: "Candi…she…"

Imaki: "She's...in paradise! With her grandparents!"

Both women suddenly turned towards the old man who had clearly ignored orders to sleep.

Candi: "Imaki? You're…?"

Imaki: "Yes, Candi! I...am your godfather! I baptized Angie before it was too late! She seemed healthy at birth...but her brainwaves were weak! I sensed she was fighting something very evil...the whole short time she lived!"
Original Poster
#55 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 5:02 AM
Default Chapter 23, Part 2

Candi: "Oh no...Kimiyato! I don't…feel…held back by her anymore! Her evil has left me. How?"

Imaki: "I...could hear screams from that child...that didn't belong to the child!"

Candi: "The telepathic link! Angie broke it! I asked her to help me; I meant I wanted her cooperation escaping the Scarr Building when conspirators were afoot! Instead...instead, she sacrificed herself...to get rid of Kimi!"

Imaki: "Then vigilant, you must be! Students of mine back in the old country...they fought valiantly against her! But they were no match for that witch!

She will never enter your mind again…unless you let her! But for being expelled from you, she will never stop seeking her revenge!"

Victoria: "Mr. Izuki! You know you need to be resting now! And Mrs. Levens…"

Laurie: "It's okay! They...have some very important things to discuss! I checked on them, they're both fine!"

Victoria: "You're not a nurse! You study the dead! Get back to the morgue!"

Laurie: "Candi's not a normal girl, Miss! I don't know how, but...she's already healed!"

Victoria: "Out!!!"

Victoria: "What are you doing out of bed? And...your hair! Get back in there!"

Candi: "Let Imaki finish what he has to tell me! This doesn't have to be war!"

She turned her attention away from the irate nurse, and back to Imaki.

Candi: "What is it that awaits me at your house?"

Imaki: "Your brother...will show you! My bracelet bears the phone number you must call him at! I know your big problem, Candi!

You...betrayed your second-greatest love for convenience and dreams!"

Candi: (puzzled) "What? No! What are you saying?"

Imaki: (breathing heavily) "Dear...Donte...lives!"

The words were instant grief! It was the truth! Could things get any worse for her now?

Candi: "No! It...it isn't true! Tracy...she would not have lied to me about something like that!"

Imaki: "The Meethlites have him hidden. Where, I know not! Some...Musaran...is to execute him in public...this coming June!

I know not where to find him! But the great ship...is to fly...overhead!"

Imaki: "His only prayer...is that you are doing well...and that...no matter where you are, you realize that if you stay...."

Victoria: "That's enough!"

Imaki: "Silence, witch!!!! Candi! Stay...in Christ...as Donte hoped you would...and you needn't be ashamed of doing so!

Even if you...lose Donte now...you can...you will...be saved! Your way...will find you! Don't fight it...when it does!"

Candi: "What'll I do? I've already lost my husband and daughter! What do I do? How do I stop it?"

Imaki: "You...already have the answer to that! You...have everything you need now, save for two things. You need proper attire now...and proper tools!"

Candi: "Attire?"

Imaki (coughing): "Child!!! I am old, and weak! Follow Christ, and heal your soul! Follow your brother…and your suit will be whole!"

Candi: "Imaki! Imaki!!!!"

It was too late! Victoria, losing patience, pushed Candi violently to the side, and rushed to check on Imaki. But he was dead!

Victoria: "You wench! You should've let that crazy old man sleep!"

Candi: "He did this to himself! I...half think...he wanted to die!"

Victoria: "Do you have any idea what this will do to my internship???"

Candi: "Laurie also urged him to sleep! He wouldn't shut up for her until he'd told me what was on his mind; he's Laurie's department! Now if you'll excuse me, he told me to take his wristband for reference before I leave!"

Victoria: "Filthy wench!!!!"

The slaps barely hurt; but Candi still wondered how Victoria could get away with it! This was completely against conduct code for a nurse!

Candi knew it would take some exercise before she could do the stunts she was used to. She'd worked hard to keep in shape; but she knew that without powers, nothing she'd done while pregnant would be enough! She had to get back into the habit of what she once did…and fast!

The road ahead would be grueling, especially if she were to find Donte before time ran out! Her brother was in town for a short time, and more than happy to help her set her life back on the right track.

She checked in the morgue one last time, and saw a body similar to Denny's lying under the covers. She began wondering why she'd chosen such a morbid profession, even though knew it was necessary.

It was obvious now: she was one of the city's last beacons of hope for life; and yet she was surrounding herself with death! Convenient then; that her fighting spirit would be reborn...in a place of death!

Tom: "Whoever that is, he reminds me of Joey the Motown Frog! That guy never did know when to back down from a fight! Route 29 will forever be stained with his blood! Imaki croaked, didn't he?"

Candi: (sighing) "Yes. Another one...gone, I'm afraid."

Tom: "A pity. It's the trend in our family now. Live under a rock, or die! What do you say then...that we get out of this hell hole of an existence and give these Meethlites a little tit-for-tat?"

In spite having plenty of the right motivations, Candi couldn't help but nurture a revenge motif after hearing those words. The Meethlites now controlled the police; and both had crossed the line. Both had to pay for what they'd done to her boyfriend. Both had to pay for what they'd done to her husband. And above all...they would all have to pay for what became of her daughter!

How? Little by little, she would have to weed out Arfaas' cronies. She'd have to rescue his enemies; and she'd have to work her way up the chain.

Death by her hands would be too good. Before Arfaas himself met with the Grim Reaper, he'd need to suffer something he would perceive to be worse - watching all the precious political and police power he had acquired slowly sift away!

But first...the rogue public executioner known as Musaran had to be stopped!

Candi: "Brother...I say...ready when you are!"
Original Poster
#56 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 8:32 PM
Default Chapter 24: "Maria's Ciempiés"

Getting ready was not quite so immediate as Candi had promised to Tom. After he had gone to lay low, Candi took quite some time adjusting to her new suit, and to her new role.

She was amazed at the abilities Imaki's inventions gave her, but she knew that getting herself back to her former physical condition was critical to success.

Two weeks had passed, and Candi was preparing for an upcoming summer class at Viron. But to her distress, things were not improving in the city fast enough. The murder rate, for one, was getting out of hand.

Worse, the city's immigration issues were colliding. The Kerpher Gang, being hunted to near-extinction by the Meethlites and the police, was about to make its last stand.

They had done the unthinkable! Their leader, Victor Nanale, had abducted Maria Sanmarcos, the daughter of illegal Mexicans living on the poor side of town.

Poor Maria was only six, and spoke no English. As Candi's centuition began to sink in, she began to think less and less over the deterioration of her former physical condition due to pregnancy, and more on her anger. Something had to be done!

Maria: (begging) "¡Vaya quiero! ¡No duelame, se mendigo!"

Victor: "I'll Mendigo your sorry tush if you don't comply! Do as you're told, you little BRAT!"

Maria: (crying) "Dondesta mi mama? iNo quiero ser su amigo! No malo! Malo!"

Victor: "Oh don't worry! You're far too young to be a mom! Now hold still! If you won't comply, this bullet will ease your suffering!"

Victor: "3!!!...2!!!..."

A sudden noise! Where could that noise come from?

Immediately, Victor and Maria both turned around! Had they been spotted? Victor had sent the rest of the Kerphers out to patrol for anything suspicious, lest the police discover him having his wicked way with a child!

But there was something not right in the alleyway. A zooming sound - and then nothing!

Another noise! Victor nervously aimed his gun up at the sky; desperate for any indication that something could have been up there - still nothing!

Victor: "Hold still, brat, while I look around! Move ONE INCH...and you're brain soup!!!"

Just Victor? Candi knew this wouldn't be too hard for her to handle! She'd dealt with far more dangerous foes than Victor!

This was a high-profile little girl! Candi knew she couldn't afford to botch anything up! Victor hadn't figured out her location yet...but she had to time her next move very well.

This is what Candi had trained for all these years!

Victor: "Whoever you are! Whatever, wherever you are! I've won! This girl is MINE!!! Whatta you gonna do about it??? Huh? WHAT!!!!"

Out came Candi's centilegs, stinging full force as she made her descent on the unwitting crook!

Victor: “Owwwwww! What the hell???”

Victor: "Holy...."

What was this terrifying thing that had just jumped him!?

Candi: "What am I gonna do about it???"

Victor: "Put me down, freak! Now!!!"

Candi: "...THIS!!!"

SMASH!!!

Victor was instantly knocked unconscious as he flew backwards into the alley wall!

Kicked in the face, punched multiple times, and stung a few times, the clueless Victor was finally beaten. Being hurled into a dumpster after being slammed into the wall further ensured that he wouldn't follow anyone.

His life would be spared by Candi; though not by the justice system afterward. All he needed to be for the moment was to be out of the way.

Maria could only watch in horror as her captor was quickly and soundly disposed of by the giant, bug-like stranger!

Maria: "¡Eh…eh…no duelame! ¿¿¿Por favor???"

Candi: "Dear...where is your home?"

Maria: "¡Mal gigantesca de bicha!"

Candi: "¡No corra! Uh...¡Espera! "

Candi did her best to speak to the terrified child, in what little Spanish she knew.

Quickly, in spite the risks, she took off her mask. The child had to know that there was a good face underneath!

Candi: "See? I'm here to help! Do you speak any English?"

The look on Maria's face went from terror and dread to a look of renewed confidence - she was being rescued!

Maria: "¡Mia ciempiés!"

Candi: "¿Se…llama…?"

Maria: "¡Maria! ¡Te llamas mia ciempiés!"

Candi liked the new title...Ciempiés. She wondered if it might be easier to shorten the title somehow, but figured she'd wait.

She wasn't impressed with others giving her names at the moment. This child needed to be brought home - and fast! Evil was everywhere in the city!

Candi: "¡Maria! ¿Donde está su casa?"
Original Poster
#57 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 8:36 PM
Default Chapter 24, Part 2

Maria: "¡No...no sé!"

Candi: "¡Necessito…su ayuda! ¡Somos en mucha molestia si no huir!"

Maria: "¡Ayudaré! ¡Protéjame!"

Candi: "Maria!!! Hold up!"

Too late! She had to chase the child down before something bad happened!

Just as Candi feared - Maria didn't listen!

FLASH!

The Zeran teleporter device on Candi's suit proved useful in the nick of time!

Driver: "Hey! What the???"

Very quickly, the two girls found themselves facing an even bigger complication!

Candi: (thinking aloud) "It's...times like this I wish I were a little better connected..."

Flavio: "Drats! I'm unarmed! Sparky!"

Sparky: "Why are you paging my phone?"

Flavio: "I've spotted the Maria girl! She's worth millions if we capture her! But we're gonna need backup! There's some fruitcake bitch in an orange Halloween suit guarding her!"

Sparky: "Take her down yourself!"

Flavio: "Hey! Hold it right there, you two!"

Candi knew she had to act fast!

Candi: "¡Maria! ¿Me confias?"

Maria: "¿Por que?"

Jumping not a moment too soon, Candi launched both of them onto the top of the semi truck that was racing its way through town!

They knew this was only a temporary solution, and that their troubles were about to grow!

Flavio: "May day! We have a Centhuen Prototype in that suit! Repeat! We've got a CP loose...in an orange Halloween suit! Send in Musaran!"

Sparky: "How do you know she's one of them?"

Flavio: "She just...jumped on top of a semi truck...with a little kid! I saw her centilegs!"

Sparky: "This better not be a rumor!"

Flavio: "Oh no joke, man...this one's legit!"

The truck was headed towards the highway, and Musaran knew he had to act quickly to catch up!

Musaran: "DIIIIEEEEEE!!!!!!"

He darted towards the edge of the building, and used the tarp to break his fall! From there, he wasted no time finding another truck; which he intended to use for his pursuit.

Anne Marie: "Dear! What was that?"

Larry: "Don't know! Woke me up, whatever it was!"

Anne Marie: "I knew we should've picked a better honeymoon location!"

Andrew Weldinger was eagerly moving along on his shift. He had to get to the next freight location by the following morning, though he as not given a specific time.

Still, with nothing better to do, he was on his way out of town.

He wondered why he felt a thud sound, but since it went away, he assumed everything was normal.

To Andrew's shock, when he looked to his right to see what was going on...he was greeted by a stowaway!

Andrew: "Ah!!! A little girl!!! How'd you get here?"

Maria: "iSiento, senor, necissito mi familia!"

Andrew: "Holy crap! I...I don't speak gibberish, kid! I'm pulling over!"

Andrew: "Oh...shoot!!!"

Candi: "Sir! Calm down!"

Candi: "Take the kid to Latin Town! I'll watch for danger from above!"

Andrew: "What are you talking about? Get off my windshield!"

Candi: "Watch your driving! The kid will direct you!"

Andrew: "Latin Town? Say…you're that little Maria brat in the news!"

Maria: "iSoy! iQuiero ir a mi casa! iMismo! iMismo!!!"

Andrew: "Shut up!"

Candi: (observing Musaran leaping through the air) "Great! Just what didn't need to happen!"

Musaran: "Impossible!!! You're DEEAAADDD!!!!"

This section's unedited version can be found at the Dozerfleet Forum.
Original Poster
#58 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 9:02 PM
Default Chapter 24, Part 3

Candi: "Not again!"

Musaran wasted no time leaping to the top of the truck, his target clearly in sight!

As he struck, Candi dodged him! Again she dodged! From one end of the truck's trailer to the next, they persisted in their bizarre wrestling match.

She hastily took advantage of a weak spot while he was distracted, striking him on his helmet and puncturing it! She could hear the pain of him being stung, but knew that he was far from done fighting!

Getting smarter, he grabbed one of her centilegs, spinning her around and nearly causing her to fall off the truck! She knew she'd have to more than sting him to win! If she didn't get creative fast, she'd lose!

As he threw another careless move, Candi managed to get a few good shots. This only enraged him, and he began inflicting damage on the trailer itself. Soon, both of them found themselves inside the trailer!

Candi: "Come one now! Why the back? At least Denny and Donte only broke my heart!"

Her time to jest was short; as he tried charging at her yet again! She quickly leaped out of the way! Using her centilegs, she grabbed at a portion of the ceiling where his stomping had made a hole. She feared that the sharp metal would cut, but was fortunate that it didn't.

Her trick soon dawned on him, as he sent the left trailer door flying onto the highway!

Musaran: "DIIIEEEEEE!!!!"

Candi: "Almost there!"

Andrew: "For gash sakes, child! Buckle up! It's bad enough those two freaks back there are tearing my trailer apart!"

Musaran came at Candi again! He simply would not give up!

He finally got on top of the trailer again...but where was Candi?

Musaran: "Impossible!!! DIIEEEEE!!!"

Andrew: "Ah! You again? NOW what?"

Candi: "Sir! Count to ten, then slam the brakes...HARD!!!"

Andrew: "Are you crazy?"

Candi: "Trust me!"

Musaran: "CENTIPEDE!!!"

Candi: "Any day now!!!"

She desperately tried to keep Musaran at bay with a few centilegs, whilst she used others to help secure herself to the top of the truck.

Musaran: "DIIEEEEE!!! NOOOOOOOWWWW!!!!!!!!"

Candi: "3!!!...2!!!!..."

The very next second required instant thinking and reflexes! While the truck clearly couldn't stop on a dime, Candi didn't count on its brakes working as well as they were!

Lucky for Candi, her centilegs were just in enough control that she could keep herself from flying! Her adversary, on the other hand, wasn't so fortunate!

Musaran flew over the highway, but didn't count on ending up inside a run-down old building in the valley below.

He had smashed through a window, which broke his fall. He landed back-of-the-head-first and flipped! Upon regaining his senses, he stared up at the sight of utter defeat around him!

Something strange was also coming over him...something...he could not comprehend!

Musaran: "Must...crush...CENTIPEDE!!! Must make...DIIIEEE!!! Must.....must...."

Quickly, he ran distraught to the bathroom on the floor immediately below. The old building still had running water! Musaran wasn't sure how long the place had been abandoned, but he could not shake the new sensations he was having either!

Careful not to remove his backvisor, Musaran managed to remove the rest of his helmet. The very captive Jeraime Malestrom was still clearly underneath, but the impact of the head injury proved to inflict one problem...the complete slumber of Jeraime and barrier between the two beings had been compromised!

Jeraime knew he still did not have enough control over himself nor enough will power to defeat Musaran and remove the damaged backvisor, but he was glad that, for once, something other than Musaran was in partial control of his body and thoughts!

Jeraime: "This...this is quite an unreal...feeling! Wh...where am I?"

Musaran: "FOOOLLLLL!!! You're supposed to be ASLEEEEEEPPPP!!!!"

Jeraime: "Funny, I don't recall you being programmed to say that!"

Musaran: "What? Programmed? I? DIIIEEEE!!!!! Wait! Why say I this?"

Jeraime: "I...may not be able to stop you...but you could maybe learn from me not to be such a bad guy?"

Musaran: "Must...kill...Centipede! Must...kill....Donte!!! Must not deviate!"

Jeraime: "I don't know were we are...but I feel like we're...not that different!"

Musaran: "You're right!"

Jeraime's mind quickly shut off again. Musaran knew he had to maintain control of Jeraime at all costs, or perish!

But at the same time...he felt different. He could learn from Jeraime! He was no longer isolated to just what the Meethlites had programmed into him!

No...he could tap into Jeraime's mind, memories, and persona! He could develop himself into something so much more than programmed!

Musaran: "WE!!!!...My slave!!! We...will kill the centipede! Don't ask why! Must get tools! New helmet! Soon...they will know we will take charge! We no longer their slaves!!! And then...kill the centipede!!!"
Original Poster
#59 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 10:05 PM
Default Chapter 24, Part 4

As Candi and Maria made their way, they were able to get Andrew to stop them off somewhere close to their intended location. He was more than happy to be rid of them, especially given the damage done to the trailer! Candi decided to hide on the roof for a short time, while Maria informed everyone of her return.

The two of them made this plan while Maria's mother, Anita, hovered sorrowfully over the well. The well was one of the many things that made Latin Town so special to its residents.

Anita wondered how another day would even be able to go by if her precious girl were not found. She was terrified to get the police to assist any further, convinced that if she did, she'd be deported for causing trouble.

Meanwhile, Jose and the rebellious Jessie were debating whether or not Jessie should continue her relationship with a Dirbine officer.

Jose: "¡No cuido si él es una policía! ¡Esas teorías marxistas de la mierda en la pobreza ellos enseñan en la Universidad de Viron...están equivocados! ¡Eres la causa de la pobreza...y chicas que están como! ¡Putea! ¡Nos da un nombre malo!"

Translation: "I don't care if he's a cop! All those Marxist bullcrap theories at Viron about our poverty...they're all wrong! You are the reason for poverty...and girls like you! You whore!!! You give us a bad name!"

Jessie: "¡Tengo que decirlo que él es el padre! ¡Si nosotros no lo incluimos, entonces conseguiremos más pobre!"

Translation: I have to tell him that he's the father! If we don't include him, then we will get poorer!

Jose: "¿Lo dice? ¡Es un aliado de los de Metheel! ¿No es suficiente malo que su hermana todavía pierde? ¡Dejamos México porque fue un lugar loco. ¡Ahora, esos condenados de Metheel hace América más loco!"

Translation: "Tell him? He's with the Meethlites!!! He could have us killed! Is it not bad enough that your sister is still missing? We left Mexico because it was a crazy place...but those damned Meethlites are making America even crazier!"

Jessie: "¡Dinero obviamente no fue un concierne para tú y para mamá! ¿De ahí…Jeraldo?"

Translation: "Money obviously wasn't a concern for you and mom! Hence…Jeraldo?"

Jose: "¡El dinero no es el asunto...supervivencia es! ¡Esas policías son peores que el país viejo! ¡Ellos nos podrían matar, y eres implicado con ellos! ¡Esto debe parar!"

Translation: "The issue here is no longer the money...it's survival! Those cops are worse than in the old country! Our lives are at stake, and you're meddling with them! This has to stop!"

Anita knew that it was bad for her figure, but she couldn't shake off her need for more sweets. It helped dull the pain of knowing that Maria had been taken - by pedophiles like the Kerpher Gang no less! She didn't expect to see Maria alive again - ever!

But just before she walked further towards her condo and past her arguing husband and daughter...she got the urge to turn to her left and look...

Maria: "¡Mama! ¡Mama!"

Anita: "Niña? ¡Mia Maria!"

Maria: "¡Mama querida!"

Anita: "¡A donde estada mi anjel!"

Jose: "Maria? ¡Impossible! ¡No puede ocurrir!"

A very excited group of Latin Town members exited their homes, eager to see for themselves. Maria had returned! But...how?

Maria: "¡Mia Ciempiés! ¡Mia Ciempiés! ¡Ella me salvó!"

What? A centipede? They didn't want to believe that! This was nonsense!

Anita: "Maria..."

Maria: "¡Adios, Mia Ciempiés! ¡Te estimo!"

Anita: "¡Maria! ¿Que diablos?"

Anita: "¡Grillos santos!"

The view from the roof left her in complete shock, as she didn't know what to make of the spectacle she beheld from it.

Candi waved goodbye, as she was sure that Maria was in no big hurry to betray her secret.

The crowds gathering below of curious Latinos would find themselves every bit as puzzled as Anita. Was this thing friend or foe? Why did this thing hold Maria's curiosity?

Candi activated her Zeran teleporter immediately after waving goodbye, and was gone! She had darted to across the highway, as her teleporter was only good for short range. She had to find a place to hide...and to change clothes!

The crowd below began cheering at the sight! They now understood the meaning of the being's presence: the city's new protector had arrived!

Crowd: "¡Ciempiés! ¡Ciempiés! ¡Ciempiés! Ciempiés!"
Original Poster
#60 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 11:12 PM
Default Chapter 25: "Media Madness"

Mack Bern from the local TV-26 station was relaxing briefly before coming in for work, when he found a startling article in the newspaper and wondered why the station hadn't covered anything on it!

Mack: "Whoa...what's this???"

The front page of the local paper was riddled by a shot of a lady thug being taken out by what appeared to be a woman in an orange centipede costume!

The pages inside discussed at length the final elimination of the Kerpher Gang, the truck-top battle between this spotted centipede and Musaran, and more!

Mack: "That does it! Henson's gotta know about this!"

Mack arrived as soon as he could, but the studio was already buzzing. What could be done about this breakthrough? How could they improve ratings? Even the mellow Harold Harvey Henson, the TV station's owner, was nervous.

Henson: "Patsy! So nice of you to stop in for work today! May I ask why you're not looking well?"

Patsy: "Hmm...let's just say that it has a lot to do with Terry, beer, and that party at your place!"

Henson: "Well, I've always been one to like the idea of new families, but it sounds like yours is a tough scenario."

Patsy: "If that dirt bag doesn't pay child support; I'm hiring a hit man!"

Henson: "Now now...that wouldn't do either of us any good!"

Henson: "A yes, Darci! Looking sharp as ever! Tell me now...why are you looking so upset?"

Darci: "Not so much upset, as just...well...I'm perplexed, Harry!"

Henson: "Hmm...good to know only one of my lovely ladies is grouchy."

Patsy: "I heard that!"

Darci: "Mack's going on and on about the headlines! We apparently have a giant centipede on the loose, and no name or graphics. That's not a good start!"

Henson: "So I've heard."

Darci: "And...well...every headline is similar! We're way behind on the event, and we need to spin this somehow in our favor? How?"

Henson: "Does this centipede even have a name?"

Before too long, Henson's Down's-inflicted daughter, Hannah P., decided to join in.

Henson: "Hannah! What brings you here? Your date with Jordan go okay?"

Hannah: "He...stuck himself!"

Henson: "Stuck?"

Hannah: "A man and car show up! He try fix car! It fall! He say me go! Bad date!"

Darci: "And you tell us this now? I doubt at this point that it's even still newsworthy!"

Henson: "No worries, Darci! We'll get the headlines."

Darci: "We have less than three hours..."

Mack: "Fewer!"

Darci: "Oh...fine! Fewer than three hours to come up with a name for this orange freak, or we'll probably fail in the ratings! Look at Knock-48 across the street! They're still riding on the coattails of having named both Emeraldon and Sapphire King!"

Mack: "Where's Terry?"

Patsy: "Hiding from me!"

Mack: "Fine. Let's all be fair! We need to reach on consensus."

Terry: "Hi everyone, sorry I'm running late! You'll never believe what happened! Some punk stopped me at the bridge and robbed me! My...cat is…gone!”

Mack: “You sure you ain’t drinking? Why the Hell would that guy want your cat?” *

Patsy: "What's up? I'll tell you what's up! I've got your kid, punk! And you're going to the abyss for it! Just as soon as I drag you there myself!"

Henson: "Patsy, easy, gal! You love children best when you love their father as well! This doesn't have to be a war!"

Terry: "Well...if it's any consolation to you...I never said we had to get married!"

Patsy: (gaping jaw) "We'll...sort this out later!"

Mack: "Hate will do no good now, Patsy! Besides, remember when I warned you that you were drinking too much?"

Patsy: "You stay out of this!"

Henson: "Well..with that in mind...shouldn't we turn our attention back to what we're really here for?

We have this whole studio to ourselves, due to that conference and the strike and all that! What is this centipede's name?"

Terry: "Centi-Man!"

Patsy: "With boobs? Get real, jerk! Centi-Woman!"

Darci: "You're both uncreative! Centick!"

Henson: "Gee...this is going over worse than my global warming panel! Uh...how about...Centi-Girl?"

Hannah: "Sempeezie!!!"

Terry: "Sempeezie? That's got nothing to do with...ANYTHING!!! Scolopendra!"

Darci: "Too long, show off!"

Patsy: "Hey, that's my line!"

Mack: "Wait! Remember how those Mexicans in the video takes kept shouting something at her?"

Henson: "Wait! Mack might be on to something!"

Hannah: "They go: 'Sempeezie! Sempeezie!' Her name's Sempeezie!"

Mack: "Wait...she's not trying to say Sempeezie, everyone, she's trying to say...Ciempiés! They called her…Ciempiés! Over...and over! I say we fly with Ciempiés. It...has a nice ring to it."

Henson: "Say...I actually like the idea! Though...Ciempiés? Why not shorten it to...Ciem! I'm sure she won't mind us doing it! She can always correct us later!"

Darci: "Who is...Ciem? This will either really fly with the other networks, or make us complete laughingstocks! I guess we have nothing to lose though."

Announcer: "Welcome to 26 News at 6! With your hosts, Terry Silverberg and Darci Lane!"

Darci: "Who is Ciem? That is the question on the minds of all Dirbine and Viron residents this evening!"

Terry: "That's right! Is there more to this orange vigilante than just what we've seen? Where does she disappear to? What is she really trying to hide?"

Darci: "Reports are that the missing Maria Sanmarcos, believed to have been abducted by the notorious Kerpher Gang, is now safe at home with her family, thanks in part to Ciem!"

Terry: "She is also rumored to have destroyed the last remnants of the Kerpher Gang, and even has the city's biggest menace, Musaran, on the run!"

Darci: "Well...I wouldn't so much say...on the run! More like...now he actually has a challenge!"

Terry: "Aren't centipedes and shrews natural enemies?"

Darci: "Exactly! And we're seeing this play out in our streets now!"

Terry: "We have yet to find out exactly what motivates this strange being to act the way she does, but as several local residents have stated: 'As long as we have someone who will do what the police will not, then we're safer off'!"

* This is an allusion to the movie Anchorman.
Original Poster
#61 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 11:16 PM
Default Chapter 25, Part 2

Darci: "There have been several requests to speak with federal intelligence on the matter, but so far, the only time a 'Centhuen Prototype' has been allowed to be given mention was briefly, when a so-called 'Centipede Charlie' was rumored to have been captured behind enemy lines during World War II.

Most of the information was to be kept classified. There are rumors that some of the students of the Hallison Hall Massacre may have been Centhuen Prototypes.

Yet...today we have living proof that such beings exist among us. Are they for good or ill? We don't yet know. How they shoot those extra legs at enemies is also curious.”

Terry: “But all we can hope for is that Ciem, and future versions, are on the side of public safety..."

Arfaas: "Sister!!!!"

Harga: "I'm right here!"

Arfaas: "We have an emergency! On two fronts!"

Harga: "Yes, sire?"

Arfaas: "The Levens family...first of all! How did that Candi Levens survive? How??? She might know something! We have to inform Merle to investigate her immediately!"

Harga: "She'll be wanted for questioning, just as you ask!"

Arfaas: "A second concern...HOW did that orange pest the news is now calling 'Ciem' manage to survive?

I thought Musaran killed them all in the Hallison Hall Massacre! One spied on us and escaped recently! Musaran destroyed the Levens house and the Centhuen Prototype got away! Now it's going by 'Ciem'...and running amok!

I want to find out who this wretched thing is...and have her head delivered to me personally!!!"

Harga: "The police had to move the guillotine out of their station! It looked too suspicious to have it there. Ploribus could come at any time, and there goes our support!"

Arfaas: "Never mind the head then! We mustn't let either Mrs. Levens, nor Ciem, nor ANY of these other pests we've been discovering impede us!"

Harga: "We need to launch the ship, brother! By next week, we simply must! There's no turning back!"

Arfaas: "Yes, you're right! And we must fry that obnoxious Emeraldon...where the whole city can see!!! Then, we'll dispose of the vat with his powers inside! We cannot allow otherwise!"

Harga: "And Ciem?"

Arfaas: "Once we figure out what went wrong with Musaran, we MUST get him after her as well!"

Arfaas: "Hell will freeze over! I will see to that, before I let her destroy my worldwide empire!!!"
Original Poster
#62 Old 10th Dec 2008 at 2:17 AM
Default Chapter 26: "Because It's Worth It"

Candi took quite nicely to the new-found fame of Ciem. Yet, there was little time to celebrate. There were many mysteries that had to be unraveled...fast! She did her best to explain her situation to Laurie. Even so, the agenda had to happen. The desperation in the air was mounting.

All who did not sympathize with Arfaas were now under surveillance! Merle's control over the city was growing tighter and tighter the more fearful he and Arfaas became of Ploribus' impending invasion.

The girls knew that they were among those suspected of supporting the liberation of Dirbine, and were most likely wanted for questioning.

Candi: "Rather dark in here!"

Laurie: "I know! You'd think with all the lights and stuff! Whatever! Okay...what do we want to know?"

Candi: "Shhh!!! Not so loud!"

Laurie: "Sorry!"

Candi: (whispering) "We know that the creature that killed Denny was named Musaran! We know that Ciem battled Musaran and sent him flying into a building, but that he apparently survived!

We know that Donte's half-brother Khumar was visiting with the Malestrom family on the night they all disappeared. But we don't know if Musaran took them! We don't know Musaran's identity!"

Laurie: "We also don't know if he kidnapped the Malestroms or not! Personally...I don't know why he attacked your house!"

Candi: "He mistook Denny and I for spies that were harboring Ciem!"

Laurie: "Right! And the Meethlite vendetta against Denny! But why, Candi? WHY do you care so much to find out about Donte's fate?"

A brief pause overtook her, and she needed time to formulate a proper answer.

Candi: "Because...well...before he was rumored dead..."

Laurie: "What? Is there something you haven't told me?"

Candi: "Much! I was...more or less engaged to Donte at one time! He wanted to wait before making it official, though I hoped to marry him right away!

He wasn't my first love...but he was my truest...and still is! By believing the lies of his death, I made the mistake of moving on, marrying Denny.

This is my one chance to find him...maybe even lead Ciem to rescue him...and atone for my careless mistake!"

Laurie: "Girl...I'm speechless!"

Candi: "Why?"

Laurie: "I've never seen such faith...such loyalty...in anyone! Why you'd even want to bother righting your wrongs after all this time has gone by, is completely beyond me!

I was content to let my good-for-nothing fiancé die! He deserved it after he beat me! But you...unbelievable!"

Demi paced straight past the two girls talking, and headed to a station to check her e-mail. Short for her age, Demi normally kept to herself. However, Candi and Laurie needed information. Would she be able to help them?

Candi: "Excuse me, miss..."

Demi: "Oh! Hi! Say! You're that Levens girl! The one whose house burnt down?"

Candi: "Uh...could you keep it down? I...don't need a huge audience! Can you tell me where the news archives are kept?"

Demi: "In the basement...I think. Good luck! I've been trying to find information on this Musaran character in town...and I've been told never to ask again, or risk being banned from the library!"

Laurie: "So much for the Freedom of Information Act!"

Candi: "With Merle as the police chief, I'm not surprised!"

Demi: "Be very careful not to ask the wrong questions...security is very tight around here!"

Laurie: "We'll be careful!"

Demi: "You'll try! I gotta go!"

In no time at all, Demi got up and walked casually to the upper level. Candi suspected that she wished to avoid undue association, given her apparent fears.

Candi: "This place looks unusually dead today!"

Laurie: "Yeah, I know! Nobody wants to be flagged with checking out the wrong books, apparently! Wanna get something to drink at the Scarface?"

Candi: "'That's okay. I don't drink coffee; and I can do without their root beer!"

Something Candi hadn't had to worry much about since her last encounter with Musaran...her phantom scream danger sense...had just kicked in! She quickly turned around with Laurie, to be greeted by a less-than-friendly service desk worker!

Bumphrob: "Hey!"

Candi: "Yes?"

Bumphrob: "DON'T talk to her!!!"

The two girls were puzzled, but Candi decided to play innocent.

Candi: "Is...something the matter?"

Bumphrob: "You're interfering with university activities! Do I need to report you to the Dean of Conduct?"

Candi: "May I ask how asking someone for directions is an offense?"

Bumphrob: "You CAN'T ask HER!!!"

Candi: "Any particular reason?"

Instead of answering Candi's question, the man headed quickly back to the desk, a look of mal-intent streaming across his face. The girls knew they had to act quickly! The library was a trap!

Candi: "Laurie! Take my keys...and my purse!"

Laurie: "But your purse is in the car!"

Candi: "Drive the car to my apartment! There will be a stash of emergency supplies there! Find Ploribus if you can, and let him have those supplies immediately!"

Laurie: "What's that strange thing on your keychain?"

Candi: "Don't mess with it! Just get the stuff and be out of here! I'll maybe catch up with you later! We can't afford to both get in trouble! If one of us gets taken down, it may as well be me! I'm the one they're after, not you!"

Laurie: "After you? Why? This...this doesn't make any sense! Besides...how many suicide attempts have you not committed in the past year? Why'd we come here in the first place?"

Candi: "Just go! And don't let them find you!"

Laurie did as told, but was surprised how quickly officers began arriving on the lot! She hid behind a school bus, praying they didn't think to look for her there! She knew that whoever Ploribus was, she had to find him! She also, somehow, had to find Khumar! She figured that Khumar would be easier to get to than Ploribus would be, so that was where she'd go first!

Laurie: "Candi...I hope you know what you're doing in there!"

Duvoint: "She's gotta be in here!"

There was nowhere for Candi to go except the basement, where she knew that she wouldn't have long!

Candi: "That's IT!!! Hidden in the wide open! Now...if only I had Miriam's hacking skills!"

She tried, briefly, to get in - success! The password was easier to crack than she thought it would be.

Candi: "'DieLevens'? How one-track are these guys' minds? Holy...!!!"

The Janette the Bunny neural backvisors had indeed been reused and repurposed into more aggressive AI! The Malestroms were missing...because Musaran was Jeraime Malestrom himself!

Candi: "Perfect...and these same clowns are only inches from knowing who I am!"

She pressed on, and discovered that the attack by Kelsea Linney had indeed been something the Meethlites didn't plan. Denny had a very long track record of business with them indeed! And Donte was in the city jail of Dirbine, awaiting execution as Emeraldon to be publicly televised!
Original Poster
#63 Old 10th Dec 2008 at 2:18 AM
Default Chapter 26, Part 2

Candi: (sighing) "This is just great! I once promised Mom that an army of angry police would never be needed to bring me down!

Yet...I fear this will not end unless I let them have me! But...I can't let it look like I want them to catch me! They'd suspect! I must pretend to want my freedom! Darn it! Sorry Mom...this is another promise I won't be able to keep!"

Donald: "Hey you!!! Don't move another muscle!!!"

Donald: "That little..."

Guvoint: "We'll get her! She's got nowhere left to run!"

Callista: "You boys guard up here! I've got a hunch she's athletic; I'll catch her downstairs!"

Donald: "I'm gonna KILL that little..."

Callista: "NO! Lethal force - not authorized!"

Donald: "Hands in the air, skank; or I'll BLOW them off!!!"

Was that any way to treat a widow? Could Candi attempt a perfect escape? Donte would die for certain! She knew in her heart that while she could technically live without Donte as long as she had God and her convictions in her life; she could never fulfill nor do justice to them - or to her existence - if she didn't act!

What a terrifying - and seemingly foolish thing - she'd have to do! It had to happen: She'd have to turn herself in! It was the only way to the truth! Thankfully for her, the Guvoint wasn't very bright. It gave her time to form a plan!

Guvoint: "Miss! Why are you crying?"

Candi: "I...all I wanted was...to ask for directions to the basement! And a big, scary guy downstairs tried to pick a fight! Why is everybody after me?"

Guvoint: "Now, miss! I'm sure this is all a big misunderstanding!"

Donald: "Guvoint, you sissy fool! This is the whore we've been told to bring in!"

Guvoint: "Donald, have some respect! She's a scared little girl!"

Donald: "HANDS AND KNEES HOOKER!!!"

Candi: "I'm nobody's hooker!"

Donald: "I TOLD you those were crocodile tears!!!!"

The other officers were annoyed by Donald's hysteria; but he began to calm down once Guvoint had Candi safely in cuffs. It infuriated him inside that she was so compliant - he was ready to beat her skull in with is baton if she resisted!

Callista: "Excellent work, Bumphrob!"

Bumphrob: "My pleasure!"

Callista: "Where did you think you were going, Missy?"

Candi: "Getting my friends out of Hell, before leaving it myself! It's growing impossible to simply live here...all this paranoia and insanity! Someone really needs to tell Arfaas to relax once in a while!"

A life with no ambition, and for Candi, no Donte...would be a life devoid of meaning! But whether or not it was worth it, and in what sense it may be so, no longer mattered!

What mattered to Candi was that there was no turning back! The more she thought about it, the fact that she went through with what the pragmatic world would call foolish only increased the thrill that they told her was so good - contrary to their advice!

On the other hand...her guilt started coming back to haunt her! She would have to face Donte...and confess everything to him!

What if her questioning the worthiness of her path was nothing more than her own pride? It didn't care if she were being arrested or not. It just didn't want her to think of love as a real concept...only because that would mean she'd have a need to confess her wrongs to another being! Then again, wouldn't her willingness to do so be what would set her apart from a lot of her enemies on campus?

Elise: "Don't think you can play dumb with me, Mrs. Levens! You were trying to find out where Emeraldon is, aren't you? You and those other ignorant peons that want to 'free Gerosha'! Why were you scouting? To tell your friend Ciem perhaps? Forget it! You are all as good as dead!"

Candi: "If that's your attitude, then I guess remaining silent won't do me much good!"

Elise: "You catch on quick! Now get in the car!"

What kind of police were these? Candi wondered...should she attempt to save Donte...or should she die with him? She'd be eager to do either, just so long as she didn't have to live on in the constant state of guilt at her living and him being practically already dead!

As she thought it over...they never even read her rights to her! She didn't have rights in their eyes. Since Arfaas was running the town, it made sense that he had put the bounty on her!

Arfaas somehow knew she'd spied on him; even if he didn't know about her being Ciem. He knew that she had enough essence of importance in things to be of interest to Ciem, and therefore, Candi was a threat!

The city of Dirbine was in sight, and so was Candi's ability to have her questions answered...maybe! What she did know for certain was that the fate of Dirbine now lay in the hands of her good friend...Laurie Pegol!
Original Poster
#64 Old 10th Dec 2008 at 3:18 AM
Default Chapter 27: "Ploribus is Coming"

SLAM!

Candi had little warning! Cries bellowed out on the surface of Ploribus arriving! One thing did trouble her...how did they know that she wanted to find Donte?

The city jail just seemed wrong. Why was it specially painted so? Why had the forensics team never seen these cells in the jail system? And why did the cells have different-colored lights? Moreover, why was the jail system so much like a medieval dungeon? This was not normal for a modern police force!

Dazed a little at the confusion, Candi at first barely even noticed that she wasn't alone...

Candi: "Who...who are you, back there? I...can sense that you're pure...much more so than myself... You're probably not a rapist or murderer, or else...you'd be on me by now!"

Stranger: (Grunting) "Your...voice! It...sounds familiar! Wh...where have I...heard that voice before?"

The stranger asked about her voice! But...his voice...could it really be?

Candi: (astounded) "Donte!!! It's...it's really you!"

Donte: "Candi?"

Candi: "Oh, my Donte dear!!! There's...just so much to tell you; and not nearly enough time!"

Both: "Wh...what have they done to you???"

The pause following was immediate. Who should begin? Where?

Candi: "How did they know? How did they know that I was looking for you?"

Donte: "It was a guess they made...a correct one! That...Ciem..."

Candi: "Dear...I'M Ciem!"

Donte: "Shhh!!!! We can't risk someone overhearing! You're in enough trouble!"

Candi: "I don't care anymore! If we must die...then let it be together! Like Adam and Eve, rib and side, we will face it!"

Donte: "I admire your courage; but...I'm afraid if you don't fulfill your destiny as the Gifted Flippo...then what you just said may very well come true!"

Candi: "What do the lights mean?"

Donte: "The Blue Hall is where these cells are connected. It is distinguished for the white hall, where normal operations take place. This hall is for enemies of Arfaas!"

Candi: "I see."

Candi: "Red probably means they're gonna kill us!"

Donte: "Correct! Green means they need to detain someone for a very long time! Magenta means they'll torture someone and exile them!"

Candi: "They said I was wanted for questioning! Why am I being executed?"

Donte: "Ploribus!"

After a few coughs, Donte continued.

Donte: "Pardon me, dearest! I...I have cancer!"

Candi: "What? NO!!!!"

Donte: "They...they know that you shouldn't have survived the destruction of the Levens house! But you did!

Now...I don't know what connection you have to Denny Levens, but you were there! And you survived! They believe Ciem rescued you, and that you and her are in cohorts!"

Candi: "And?"

Donte: "When they gave me this illness, they sealed the fluid from my body that enables my powers in a special tube! They also made sure the cancer would keep me from regenerating my powers efficiently! They believed Ciem wanted to find me to get me some help from Ploribus! You...were her spy...the ship!"

Candi: "Like...the one that flew over Gerosha?"

Donte: "Worse! Dirbine is doomed! But I can...or once could...stop it! They know this! They know...Ciem...can't do it alone! You were someone of interest! That's why they wanted you!

Why they haven't done teeth impressions to prove you're a Flippo, I don't know! Why they haven't killed you immediately, I don't understand either! But they aren't putting us in proper cells anymore! Too much concern!"

Candi: "Ploribus is on his way! They're going on about it constantly upstairs!"

There was a pause, and then the slightly disfigured Donte continued.

Donte: "If your half-brother is already here...then absolute chaos will surely ensue! Once they have control of the situation, they'll kill us both!

They won't do it here; they'll take you to a barn, which they've set up specially for killing enemies of Arfaas' state! Your head will be delivered to Arfaas himself, just as your sister's was two years ago!"

Candi: (bowing head) "A fate I deserve! If I had taken that prank call more seriously, she'd be alive today!"

Donte: "You couldn't have known!"

Candi: "My phantom scream went off, and I ignored it! Donte! You have no idea!"

Donte: "I...don't understand!"

Candi: "Dear! Forgive me!"

Donte: "What could you have possibly done that was so wrong?"

Candi: "Don!"

Donte: "Oh no! You didn't seriously get back with Don the Psycho!"

Candi: (tearful-eyed) "Worse! I...I killed him!

Donte: "What???"

Candi: "Right after you left! You were captured! Don...he set a trap! He tried to trap me in the building and burn me! When that didn't work, he attempted other things! It was an accident, I swear! But I still did it!"

Donte: "Don's life isn't worth you holding in years of guilt, especially if it was in self-defense!"

Candi: "I've done worse things...I've...betrayed our love...in ignorance!"

Donte: "What?"

Candi: "Tracy told me that you were dead!"

Donte: "I perfectly understand. For the past two years of Meethlite torture and deep-freeze hibernation, I may as well have died! In some ways, I wish it were so!"

Candi: (crying) "I'll finally say it! I...I...married Denny!"

Donte: "I'll...never be able to say you were solely mine...that's what I get for getting so wrapped up in this STUPID war!!! This is my fault!"

Candi: "And...I had his child! My daughter...Angie! They killed her too! I'm sorry Donte...I'm...unworthy of your love!"

She was half-convinced that this was the end. She didn't want to push Donte out of her life after risking so much just to find him; but she knew that as Ciem, with God's help, she could manage her life, however miserable, without Donte. She was prepared.

Donte: "As much fear and doubt as I have nurtured in my mind...I have no right to hate you! Your pain, your losses: All this is my fault!

I abandoned you to this path; to choose a path I thought was right at the time. I could not have been more wrong! I am a hero on Earth; but I am no interplanetary mercenary! I was a bigger fool than you...and I will pay the price for it the rest of my days! If you will have me, then you are still my Candi...my love!"

Candi: "I'd sooner die than lose you again!"

Donte: "Likewise; but we may die fairly soon together! You cannot save me here; and I'll soon explain. But please! Don't let the thought of losing me again drive you insane! I'm not worth it! I've been reduced to ragged, weak bones! I age worse by the minute!"

Candi: "Angie died to free my mind from Kimiyato! I'll risk death to save you...and restore you! I wanted so badly to just raise a family and be normal! But I now understand that I must earn the right to be normal. I am not yet there."

Donte: "I want you to be my wife some day, even if it will never be the same! Love...will still find a way!"

Candi: "I'll find a way out of here...and I'll track down Jeraime and free him! I promise you! I'll find a way to save you...or die trying!"

Donte: "In one sense...I'm already saved...simply knowing that you've become what you were meant to be!"

Forgiveness! Victory! Candi had it all! She didn't care that she was still trapped in a jail cell with a guillotine's blade practically already hovering over her neck.

She didn't care that she hadn't yet formed an escape plan! She had regained the love of her life, and all that mattered to her at that point, was to enjoy being safely back in his arms. However, as she feared, old temptations came back along with...stronger than before!
Original Poster
#65 Old 11th Dec 2008 at 3:18 AM
Default Chapter 27, Part 2

Candi: "Your lips? Pure as sunshine!"

Donte: "Yes. A pity...we don't have more time to relish it!"

Candi: (smiling) "Now, why should that stop us!?"

In a way, it felt wrong. The ink on the paperwork for Denny's funeral was barely dry, and she was already kissing another. Even so, it was the correct man this time. Even so, she wanted just this short time with her other half; before she continued to right her wrongs.

Meanwhile, a criminal justice student named Elle was working an internship at the police station. She sympathized with Candi, but was not willing to put herself in danger if she didn't have to.

Ernie: "Oh, Elle! How are you today...princess?"

Elle: "I'm not your princess, Ernie!!! Just because I need money for college doesn't mean I'm your fly-by-night! Now, would you give it a rest?"

Ernie: (mocking) "Aw...that hurts! You know...you and I need to get together...more often! Breathe some fresh air in the Latin Town motels! I get sick of the boss...always whining about that fool Ploribus! Then I think of you...and I get to thinkin' something...more...pleasant..."

Elle: "Why should the police be afraid of the National Guard? I thought we were on the same team!"

Ernie: "Don't play simpleton!"

Elle: "Hey, I don't want to end up like Candi! My mom can understand me getting drunk. And she can forgive me letting you have your way when drunk...but let me tell you...if I ever end up in jail..."

Ernie: "Sweetums...sweetums! If Ploribus does come for us today, we can always hide in Latin Town!"

Elle: "You know what? You're a creep! I want a REAL boyfriend!"

Ernie: "I'm the best you'll ever have!"

Elle: "What? You...you're...OLD! You ugly, smelly...I was drunk, dammit! Leave me alone!"

Ernie: "I'm beginning to think you are like Candi...maybe you two could keep company? I'd rather you kept it with me..."

Elle: "Ick! NO!!! Back...OFF!!!"

Ernie: "Make me! In fact...why don't I just have some fun right here and now?"

Elle: "Just because the others are all outside screaming 'the sky is falling'? How did you ever become a cop??? You're...a PIG!!!"

Ernie: "I'm your destiny!"

Elle: "Eww!!! Enough! One more line of BS from you like that...and I'm telling your wife about us!"

This enraged the philandering officer, who realized he was about to lose everything! How DARE the little wretch threaten to snitch!

Elle: "Ernie...NO...NO!!!"

Ernie: "Somebody's gotta teach you some respect!!!"

As Ernie and Elle struggled, the alarm went off! Not just any alarm - the raid alarm! Eric, one of the only other officers in the police station at the time, quickly joined his friends outside as they lined up to face the oncoming threat of Ploribus and the National Guard.

Eric: "Judgment day already!"

Merle: "Attention!!! Attention all personnel! We are under attack! Everyone...report to your assigned pose IMMEDIATELY! Ploribus is here! Repeat! Ploribus is here!"

Candi and Donte were again getting serious about their situation.

Donte: "It's happening...you gotta get yourself out of here!"

Their thoughts were interrupted by a sound both of them could suddenly hear ever so softly...a hissing sound...

Candi: "What's that...noise?"

Donte: "Oh no!"

BOOM!

The two of them were still there, so it could not have been a bomb. Dynamite?

Donte: "Dolly! Why??? She just doesn't listen to me!"

Candi: "What now?"

Donte: "The girls...found the stash! Larry the Whack Monkey, as he used to be known down here, gave the girls some dynamite so they could plot an escape.

I don't know how...he got it down here, but I urged them not to use it! They were determined!"

The blast was far enough away that it didn't hurt their ears, but they were both still at odds what to make of it.

Merle: "Attention!!! Attention all personnel! The prisoners Dolly Malestrom and Lindsay Hamilton have escaped! Repeat! The Weiss sisters have escaped! If seen, KILL THEM...IMMEDIATELY!!!"

Candi: "Oh, great!"

Donte: "What?"

Candi: "I have a Zeran wardrobe hidden in my bra with a spare suit; but I forgot to pack a Zeran teleporter for it! I gave my purse to Laurie!"

Donte: "Merle knows...I'm not a liar...I'll tell him...that Ciem rescued you...and helped the Weiss sisters escape as well. It... is technically true..."

Candi: "Good idea. Watch the entrance...I need to change!"

Donte: "You'll come for me soon."

Candi: "Yes. Otherwise, there would have been no point in me ever being born!"

In the midst of the ensuing chaos, Ernie finally fell in his struggle. Elle had finally proven that she, not Ernie, was the one in need of respect!
Original Poster
#66 Old 11th Dec 2008 at 3:38 AM
Default Chapter 27, Part 3

Elle: "That'll teach that punk! I don't care if I get 20 years! Hey, Laurie!"

Laurie: "Elle! I can't talk right now!"

Elle: "I'm trapped the in police station! You were right about them! Candi's in the basement!"

Laurie: "No matter what the circumstance, grab her out of there and get the both of you out! Stat!"

Using her super strength, Candi finally warped the bars, right before trashing them completely!

Candi: "That was curiously easy! Merle may be aggressive; but when it comes to jail doors, he's unbelievably cheap!"

Donte: "Hurry! There's no telling what trouble Dolly and Lindsay will get themselves into up there!"

Elle: "Candi!!!?"

Elle: "I am so moving to Arizona!"

Candi: "Hmm."

Donte: "My alibi won't hold up...if we do nothing but chatter!"

Ciem: "The blast occurred this way! I forgot my teleporter, so finding either Dolly or Lindsay will be a challenge!"

Elle: "This place is going to Hades, and that's that!"

Ciem: "When we get to the surface..."

Elle: "Yes?"

Ciem: "Tell nobody about what you saw!"

Elle: "Yeah, sure!"

Ciem: "Flag down Laurie, but don't tell anything her about me! And whatever you do, don't follow me!"

Elle: "Gotcha!"

As the girls were making their escape, Merle decided the time had come to take some measures into his own hands! He knew that Ploribus and the Guard were waiting for him to join the other Arfaas loyalists.

He also knew that things had grown too serious for him to act like it would be simple. Quickly killing the alarm to give himself more cover, he began powering down the entire station...

Merle: "Now's the time!"

Merle: "DONTE!!!"

Donte: "Yes, Sir! Ciem got in. She...she took them! I told her...I was...already dying!"

Merle: "You're lucky I don't have my WHIP today!!! You disgrace! You had the chance to escape...yet, you aided theirs? You're sacrificing yourself for them? We will hunt those women down...and make TROPHIES out of them!!! You are a fool!"

Donte: "What is the measure of my life? You boast as though Ploribus were not here!"

Merle: "You DARE to utter that name here!!! If I didn't have to preserve you for tomorrow afternoon; I swear, I'd shoot you this instant and be done with you!!!"

A sudden, excruciating pain overtook Donte's side!

Donte: "No!!! What is this???"

Merle: "Something that would be totally reversible if you got your powers back; but you won't! You're aging! You won't look much like yourself, but we can use you anyway!"

Donte: "Candi! Help Ciem...find...a way!"
Original Poster
#67 Old 11th Dec 2008 at 4:06 AM
Default Chapter 28: "Reunification of the Hamiltons"

Laurie ultimately decided it best to flag down Khumar, and to leave Candi's things at her place. As she headed towards the old Malestrom home, eager to avoid capture, she ran into someone she didn't expect!

Laurie: "Elle! What are you doing here?"

Elle: "Ciem rescued me! Candi's still out there somewhere, fending for herself!"

Laurie: "Holy schmuckfeldt! What happened to your face?"

Elle: "Ernie. I threatened to tell his wife!"

Laurie: "His wife? You're crazier than Candi!"

Elle: "Yeah, I know. That's why I intend to move as far from here as possible... I can't take much more of this insane place!"

Elle: "So...why are we here?"

Laurie: "Rumor has it that Khumar still lives in here somewhere."

Suddenly, a very-alert man in what looked to be very dirty clothing rushed out at them!

Khumar: "Hey you!!! Get out!!! Get out of here! NOW!!!"

Laurie: "Khumar! Relax! We're..."

Khumar: "You're spies! I know it! That worthless Arfaas has got everyone gone mad! You've come to take me, haven't you? Just like you did my wife! Are you gonna kill her, or me? Like you did my brother???"

Elle: "No!!! Listen to us!"

Khumar: "Or maybe you've come to drink the last of my stash of beer! My comfort before I die!"

Laurie: "SNAP TO YOUR SENSES, Khumar!!!"

The distraught man was suddenly speechless.

Laurie: "Elle and I are also wanted! We are ALL outlaws right now! Right now...Candi, your brother's ex-girlfriend and my best friend; is launching a scheme with Ciem to set your wife and sister-in-law free!!!"

Khumar was visibly shaken! His first encounter with anyone in two weeks, and he was unable to believe what he was hearing! His wife had to be dead!

How could he not be next? These girls couldn't be telling the truth!

Khumar: "I want proof!"

Elle: "Then keep me around!"

Khumar: "How is that proof???"

Laurie: "Elle, what are you talking about?"

Elle: "I have nothing left to lose! Ernie will undoubtedly get a warrant for me, now that I've beaten my way free of him!

Mr. Hamilton...do what you like with me, take me hostage if you wish! But let Laurie help you! She needs you to help us find shelter!"

Khumar: "I...could use some company...but I'd prefer my wife!"

Elle: "Then you're one notch better than Ernie!"

Laurie: "Elle, this is stupid talk!"

Khumar: "She's right! What do you have in mind?"

Laurie: "I've got it! Come out here, you two! I've got a plan!"

Laurie: "Khumar...does that car have gas?"

Khumar: "The insurance is long-expired!"

Laurie: "Big deal! We're running from the cops already!"

Elle: "I'll stay here."

Khumar: "This sounds like a trap!"

Elle: "Shut up!"

Laurie: "Guys! Girls! Enough! Okay, here's the idea: we will all drive to Candi's old church, and get Wilbur Brocklyn to meet us!"

Elle: "But..."

Laurie: "He's a good guy! I don't go to that church either, but Candi trusts him. I see no reason we can't."

Laurie: "In a church, we can get cleaned up. Here, we're all sitting ducks!"

Khumar: "But how will Lindsay find me?"

Laurie: "Uh...good one!"

Elle: "Hey! That's it!"

Laurie: "What?"

Elle: "Remember the first semester?"

Laurie: "Professor Ryan?"

Elle: "He'll be our lookout!"

Laurie: "He's on sabbatical, hun."

Elle: "Ah..but he hasn't left yet! He'll stand post here while the preacher stitches us back together. Andrew will help Lindsay and Candi find the rest of us!"

Khumar: "What about Dolly?"

Laurie: "Dolly? Well...let's just hope that we don't need Ciem to find her. I have a hunch she won't be as easy to handle as Lindsay!"

Lindsay: "KHUMAR!!!"

Khumar: "Lindsay?"

Laurie: "Incredible."

Elle: "Guess he doesn't need me after all!"

Laurie: "Elle!"

Khumar: "Lindsay!!! My angel!"

Lindsay: "None the worse yourself?"

Khumar: "I'm...so glad to have you back!"

Laurie: (sighing) "Why do I get all the crappy assignments?"
Original Poster
#68 Old 11th Dec 2008 at 4:28 AM
Default Chapter 29: "Tracking Down Dolly"

Dirbine's orange centipede couldn't have arrived on the scene soon enough! Where to find Dolly? Sirens below hinted at the fact that the chaos that started in the Dirbine Police Department was getting worse.

Patsy: "Well, Darci, I must say, there's nothing but sheer chaos out here! Police and military are at war with each other, and it's not very safe! This place is starting to look like Iraq did some 20 years ago!

As you can see behind me, there's a fire. There've been other fires in town and firemen are not sure which to put out first!

Some want to keep the fires in some areas to help the police and others are siding with the Guard. It's sheer chaos!"

Merle: "Get out!"

Patsy: "Sir!"

Merle: "I said get out!!!"

The fighting in the streets intensified. Due to the desperation of the Arfaas loyalists, they charged on well past the range of the Guard's guns. Hand-to-hand combat quickly ensued!

Merle: "I will not be taken down so easily!"

Then, up above, what should he see jumping the rooftops?

Merle: "Ciem? NO!!!! Somebody!!! Kill that centipede!!!"

SWAT Man: "Sir! We're being beat back!"

Merle: "Never mind that!!! Get Ciem!!!"

SWAT Man: "Right away, sir!"

Mark: "This...this is an outrage!!!"

Guardsman: "No! Your loyalty to Arfaas…that, IS the outrage!"

Griffin: "General Philippine, sir!"

Ploribus: "Good news, Private Griffin, we've got this city's sanity back! Now to round up the traitors and be done with this!"

Griffin: "But what about the orange centipede?"

Ploribus: "Centipede?"

Griffn: "It's all over the news!"

Ploribus: "Oh…right! She's on our side! Let her deal with the giant shrew!"

Griffin: "Yes, sir!"

Continuing his rampage, Merle rushed out into the road, where he saw to his horror that Arfaas' army was no match for the might of Ploribus and company! He ran into a face he didn't expect to see…

Merle: "You...you DON'T BELONG HERE!!!"

Grant: "Your monster killed my wife; you featherplucker!"

Merle: "You have a lot of nerve, boy!"

Grant: "Indeed...but you're out of ammo!"

Before Merle could respond, the enraged Guard enlistment dealt the crooked police chief a brutal blow to the face, firing two shots at both his shoulders and hurling him to the ground!

Merle: "Your whole family will suffer for this!!!"

Grant: "Hey, Jules, you got that thing working?"

Jules: "Yep!"

Grant: "Then hit it! Now!!!"

Merle: (screaming while engulfed) "Curse you all!!!"

The fighting would continue in the quest for control of the streets of Dirbine, but with Merle dealt an instant death blow of flame from the napalm, it would soon be decided that Arfaas' control over Dirbine's leadership was at an end.

Yet, with Dolly still on the run, Candi had to act fast!

A lone Swat member, poor George saw little wisdom behind Merle's commands. However, he was still convinced that the centipede had to be stopped, so off he went in search of her.

George: "I don't even know why I'm doing this! Who ever heard of a lone SWAT man?"

George: "And just like me to forget my gun!"

To George's disgust, his target was well aware that he was trying to set a trap!

Ciem: "What have you done with Dolly Malestrom?"

George: "Let me go!!! You're going to the abyss, centipede!!!"

Ciem: "Not without you, I'm not!"

George: "No!! Owwww!!! Dang it!!! That stings!"

Ciem: "Ploribus is waiting for you!"

George: "Look...I don't care all that much for Merle, but I know my place!"

Ciem: "Do you?"

George: "If you want that hooker, find her yourself! Just don't kill me! Ouch! Stop that!!!"

George: "Ow! Why are you continuing to sting me?"

Ciem: "I'm giving you a low dose! You won't die...but you won't follow me either!"

Continued application of her prowling instinct paid off!

Ciem: "Dolly!"

No use! The panicked woman persisted in running as far away as she could. She'd seen all the horrors she cared to; a giant orange bug chasing after her was just one too many!

Dolly: "Holy crap! Get away, you freak!!!!"

Ciem: "All right then; force the issue!"
Original Poster
#69 Old 11th Dec 2008 at 5:00 AM
Default Chapter 29, Part 2

Dolly: "Eeeeeeck!!!"

Catching up with this determined woman would prove only half the battle; Candi had to calm her down!

Even without powers, this Dolly fought like a true warrior! How could Candi get control of the situation?

Ciem: "Dolly! Stop!!!"

Dolly: "Nooooo!!! I won't let you do it again! I won't let you freaks hurt me like you did my husband!"

Ciem: "I'm trying to save you from them!!!"

Dolly: "I don't believe you!!!"

Ciem: "Dolly, LISTEN!!!!"

The two continued to wrestle, Candi not going full strength as she feared she might tear Dolly's head off with her strength! But when she got too soft, Dolly grabbed her mask, going for a tumble to the ground herself!

A sudden fear came over Dolly. She had exposed her stalker! Would this incredibly strong being take revenge? Why had it not killed her already? And who was behind this orange mask the whole time?

Dolly: (frantic) "Who the heck are you?"

Candi: "I am Candice Marie Flippo-Levens! I am Donte McArthur's missing girlfriend; and the widow of Denny Levens! Rumor has it, you were once looking for me!"

Dolly: (shocked) "Candi? You are the Candi that Donte kept talking about???"

Candi: "Yes."

Dolly: "I...I...I don't know what to say…it's not possible! How?"

Candi: "The Meethlites are going to kill my boyfriend, and possibly your husband, unless I can free Jeraime from his insanity!"

Dolly: "What'll I do?"

Candi: "First...we're gonna go to my place and get some Zeran teleporters. I should've never left them with Elle and Laurie!"

Dolly: "Who?"

Candi: "Viron Forensics Team; for safekeeping. We're going to hide you in Latin Town! I'll leave you with contacts for Laurie, and she will hopefully be able to get you reunited with your sister and brother-in-law!"

Dolly: "And what about you?"

Candi: "Me? If I don't come back within a week, assume the worst."

Dolly: "Then...all the rumors of the Meethlites are true!"

Candi: "They don't know that Ciem and the Gifted Flippo are one in the same. They may suspect, but they don't know. Tell nobody!"

Dolly: "Right. But please...try to bring Jeraime back to me alive! I feel like less of a woman every day that I am without him!"

Candi: "I can promise only my attempt. But we'd better get outta here! I'll explain more on the way!"

Dolly: "Ditto!"

As the chaos downtown continued, the survivors waited patiently for either Dolly, or Candi, or both, to return.

Laurie: "I do hope that Ciem character gets them back safe!"

Kathy: "Yeah, and not charred!"

Khumar: "It's a little late to worry about that. They'll burn; just as we've been burnt!"

Wilbur: "Khumar, this is no time to be a coward! What good did it do Elijah to be cowardly before God?"

Khumar: "Sorry. But...don't you see it? Your own church has been burnt to the ground! My family's house is in shambles! I'm just...happy to have my wife back, but what now?"

Andew: "This wreck of a church is nothing. At least nobody died when it was leveled! Plus, there were building code problems with the design anyway."

Wilbur: "He's right. It is time for us all to rebuild. The Lord was in the calm...and he still is!"

Laurie: "Mr. Ryan...what's your take on Ciem?"

Andrew: "Well, Laurie...I've never been a huge fan of vigilantes. But I must say; when we're faced with a crisis like this, if God's in the calm...then I'm glad somebody's in the fire!"

Wilbur: "That's what angels are for."

Andrew: "Perhaps. But I guess you girls should all take a look at how far we've come along! Candi and Dolly are still out there, somewhere, but I believe they're still alive.

We've managed to survive the mess...so far. We're reunited with each other, another plus! Elle's in the hospital for her injuries, but she'll live, and no damage to her unborn baby either!"

Wilbur: "Ploribus has succeeded...another blessing! Merle's no longer the police chief; and the majority of Arfaas' loyalists are either missing or dead.

Their influence is quickly waning! True that they've tortured most of us; but they will never destroy our spirits!"

The painful memories began to return to Lindsay. She knew well what "torture" was, having been confined to the same orange prison suits for about a year and kept away from daylight. The uncertainty of her sister's whereabouts troubled her greatly.

Laurie: "Mulwi? What are you doing here?"

Mulwi: "I wanted t'see you! I's-bored when you're not ar-und!"

Laurie: "This place...is very dangerous right now."

Mulwi: "All 'da more reason I need to b'near you!"

Laurie: "I was a hard-hit curmudgeon, until you came along!"

Mulwi: "Gi'b-y'self credit! I never expected t' find you!"

Laurie: "Muey...I'm scared! I don't know where Candi is, or Dolly!"

Mulwi: "I didn't know where you wuh eh-lier. They's big girls! Dey manage!"

His Sudanese accent aside, Mulwi was one of the few beings that could console Laurie's endless worries.

Kathy: "Say, not to interrupt, but it's getting late. Pastor Brocklyn wants to get us all inside at his place. I'm gonna go to the hospital and check on Elle!"

Laurie: "Very well then. We may as well call it a night."

Professor Andrew Ryan was torn. He had hopes that Candi would make it out alive, with or without Ciem or Dolly. As he looked out at the night sky, and it looked normal, he felt a calm come over him.

Yet, the temptation to despair was everywhere. The church was in ruins. The arson against it was completely senseless; but the determination and hope in Wilbur was enough to over-ride the horror.

The rumors were out. Arfaas' airship would arrive. The fate of Dirbine was just a short ways away from being determined.
Original Poster
#70 Old 11th Dec 2008 at 6:10 AM
Default Chapter 30: "Musaran's Melee"

In keeping with his promise, Arfaas sent down the ship planned. The battleship was his last-ditch effort to reclaim Dirbine!

Even though he found he couldn't redden the sky as planned, he sought to cause as much damage as possible. More importantly, he wished to make his newscast very clear: Emeraldon was going to die...TODAY!!!

Arfaas: "Why did you not rob the bank yesterday like you were told? You were supposed to transport the systems off this ship, not fry Donte ON the ship! No matter!"

Musaran: "I will KILL him! AND the centipede!!! They will DIIIEEEEE!!!"

Arfaas: "I will fix that AI unit yet! Next time you need it charged! And I swear, you will never have a mind of your own again!"

Arfaas: "What? Noooo!!!!"

Before he even knew it, Arfaas was pushed back into his own vortex!

Musaran: "I learn from Jeraime! You DIIEEEE!!! I kill Centipede and Emerald! I...never under your control...AGAIN!!!"

As the prideful Musaran continued to storm about his new intelligence, Donte awoke, desperately wishing to take advantage of the distraction! There, standing before him, was a tube. If only he could break it open and drink the green fluid, his powers and youth would be restored!

Donte: "Oh! The pain! This...cancer! So...close..."

Musaran: "Get to your feet!!!"

He quickly kicked Donte in the face, and the aged man complied in agony!

Donte: "My nose!!!"

Musaran: "It will DIIIEEE!"

Musaran: "Get in!!! NOW!!!! DIIIEEEE!!!!"

Donte wished so badly that he could defy, but his rapid aging forbade it! He was about ready to resign himself to his fate. After all, how could Candi possibly save him now?

Donte: (breathing heavily) "Hurry...Candi!!!"

Ciem was now just a few short feet away from the room where Donte's doom was about to happen! How could she distract Musaran enough to zero in for the rescue?

Arfaas: "City of Dirbine!!! Observe your screens carefully! Here, we have footage of one victim of many! And now! You will witness - LIVE - the death of Emeraldon!!! Let this be warning to ALL who cross us!"

Musaran: "Get on with it!!!"

Candi suddenly remembered Erin reading something to her once, when they were hiding her secret from Miriam: Meethlites often put security devices in place in their death machines, so that if there's a leak or malfunction, they won't kill themselves in the process of killing their victim!

What if this incineration chamber were the exact same thing? With both Musaran and Donte distracted, now was the time to act!

Before Musaran could react, Ciem lashed two centilegs around his throat, sending him flying into the glass as quickly as possible! Overreacting, he lashed out at the glass, smashing it just as she'd hoped!

Very quickly, the foe recovered from his blow. He immediately returning the favor!

SMASH!

Ciem bounced off the wall, and awaited the next blow!

Missed! Ciem launched her counter-strike: a bounce off the wall and kick in his face!

Ciem: "Hurry Donte!!! Hury!!!"

She knew she had to keep Musaran's focus on fighting her!

He knew he'd get injured, and that it would take nearly all his might, but he HAD to break open those valves!

Donte: "Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!"

Success!!! One of the valves was opened, and now he could slowly regain his strength!

Over the announcements system, Arfaas quickly shouted out orders!

Arfaas: "Attention! Attention! Personnel! We have lost control of
Musaran! He is helping Emeraldon escape! We must kill him on sight! All units report to the Town Slayer! Don't let them get out alive!"

Musaran: "DIIEEEE!!!!"

It was what the new Musaran most feared: Arfaas had misinterpreted events, and now was wishing the Meethlites to kill him too!

He knew only how badly he wanted Candi dead, but he would let the ship's security kill the two of them while he formed his own plans!

Musaran was not about to be betrayed by his own masters so completely! But if they would, then he would not abandon his own dreams for revenge and conquest! He'd show them all!

Musaran: "Backstabbers!!! DIIIIEEEEE!!!!!"

To let his fury be known, he nabbed the nearest escape pod he could find on the roof of the ship, and make his way to the ground below.
Original Poster
#71 Old 11th Dec 2008 at 6:12 AM
Default Chapter 30, Part 2

In his desperation, Musaran had also opened up the escape doors for Candi and Donte's ground level. The two heroes knew they wouldn't have long to bail out if they valued their lives!

Candi: "Hey you!"

Donte: "Ah...my gem! We meet again!"

Candi: "So many things happening all at once!"

Donte: "I know! Arfaas is getting sloppy with his hysteria and paranoia. Musaran isn't our only irrational enemy now!"

Candi: "My Zeran teleporter isn't very reliable for long ranges. Think you can fly me down?"

Donte: "It's worth a shot!"

Alas, Donte was not about to battle to take the ship down in nothing but his underwear; and the two of them needed to find Musaran before he could cause any more significant damage!

On a hunch, they believed that Candi may have stored one of Donte's suits in the upper compartments of her old house. But would a new family have moved in to find it? They had to fly to Gerosha first and investigate.

Candi: "No! It' can't be!"

Donte: "Incredible. Nobody's been here in ages!"

It seemed almost unreal...the house could not have aged this quickly on its own!

The siding had been corroded by someone's malicious intent. The blinds to the front living room window were gone, but the house wasn't boarded up.

Candi: "Is...this a trap?

Donte: "Chin up! I'm the one dying of cancer here!"

Candi: "And I'm dying...of guilt!"

Donte: "You can do this, Candi! I've got your back now. Besides, never fight the enemy in only your underwear...remember?"

Candi: "Yes. Bible study. Long time ago."

Donte: "Just because we've lost our way so often, doesn't mean God is dead. We're superheroes Candi; but that doesn't make us gods. We can still look up to Him."

Miraculously, the door was unlocked! Why had there not been more thieves if entry was this easy?

Donte: "Sense any danger?"

Candi: "Someone's been here...but they're not right now! Let's grab the suit if it's here, before they find out we've been here!"

Donte: "Absolutely."

There it stood on the wall...the phone that had caused Candi so much misery for so many years! No service. As much as Candi wished she could smash it, she figured that the phone's inactivity was punishment enough for it.

Candi: "You. Phone. But it really is my fault, isn't it? I can't hurt you; you only did your job."

The air was different...almost...haunted! Candi's old bedroom lay bare, possibly looted by Miriam on her way out.

It was as if Erin were speaking from the grave, warning those who desecrated the exterior of the home that they had better not dare invade the interior. Still, Candi pressed on in her tour.

She knew that a carpet had been laid over the former wooden floor in the living room to cover up the blood stains left there by Erin on her death.

The bathroom had been cleaned, but the chair...the chair where Miriam had cut Candi's hair almost a full two years previous - still there!

She could not bear to torture herself any further! This walk back in time was agony!

Candi: "This is too much!"

Donte: "What are you talking about?"

Candi: "This house...the memories!"

Donte: "Then I say we get out of this nightmarish time machine and get back to the present day, shall we? We've still got that maniac Musaran loose, and Dirbine is at Arfaas' mercy!"

Candi: "I agree. Let's leave this house, and never come back!"

The two flew fast, but fairly low to the ground, so that Candi could lock on to Musaran with her centiprowl instinct. Sure enough, it didn't take them long to find their menace!

Musaran had made his way to the back of an office complex in Viron, where he wasted no time finding random victims!

Roger: (coughing) "Please! Don't do this!"

Musaran: "DIIIIIEEEE!!!"

Emeraldon: (in pain) "My hair grows back; but my back still aches! You sure you don't want me to stick around and help you, dear?"

Ciem: "I'll be fine, Donte! Just get take care of that ship! I...know what I have to do now!"

Emeraldon: "Right. Godspeed!"

In no time, Ciem was off to battle Musaran yet again, and Emeraldon was off to once again face the dreaded ship that had once held him captive. Candi feared for his life, but realized that if he died, it was only to be expected.

After she'd completed a Zeran teleport jump to the roof, she would have to find some other way to make it down the slope before Musaran finished having his way!

Ciem: "Gotcha!"

She managed to snag Musaran from behind right as his would be victim was freeing himself!

Musaran: "DIIIIEEEE!"

Roger: "Forget this, I'm outta here!"

Ciem: "Hold still, brute! I'm gonna get you out of this thing!"

Musaran: "DEATH to YOU FIRST!!!!"

Ciem: "Not today!"

Ciem: "No!!!"

He got a lucky move on her, and the monster grabbed her feet as they wrestled! Before she could think to activate her centilegs again in self-defense, he sent her flying through the nearest window!
Original Poster
#72 Old 11th Dec 2008 at 6:29 AM
Default Chapter 30, Part 3

Startled, she knew she had to get back on her feet, and fast!

Ciem: "That suit is nearly invincible! I can't match him in strength...but somehow, something's gotta get that helmet off!"

Musaran: "Gifted Flippo!!!! I know who you are!!!! It must be YOU!!! DIIIIEEEE!!!"

BAM!!!

Although Donte knew it was very serious business that he finally destroy the ship, he feared that he was having too much fun taking his revenge on the lowlifes inhabiting it!

After getting past the armed divisions, he ran into none other than Skellig, who foolishly tried to engage him in open combat!

Emeraldon: "Not today, Skellig! NOT today!!!"

Thinking over the design of the helmet, it then dawned on Candi...the face was the least-protected! The face was made of a more flexible material than the rest of the helmet.

She knew he was right outside the door, and she'd have to time this just right...

Better than planned! He rushed through the door with an insane urge for bloodshed; and Ciem, overreacting, did a roundhouse flip and kicked him in the jaw! She was hoping to punch him, but her instincts kicked in.

Musaran: "Never!!!!!"

Ciem: "That was for killing my husband!"

She miscalculated! His helmet was off, but not his backvisor! The still-deranged beast wasted no time fighting back, throwing her effortlessly into the office room objects!

The pain! The volts from the monitor were almost unbearable, but Ciem knew she couldn't give up!

Musaran: "And now....you...DIIIEE!!!"

Ciem: "That phrase is getting...OLD!!!"

Every ticking second, more of Dirbine was destroyed! Still, having conquered the others, it felt satisfying to him that he had just knocked out one of Erin's murderers.

However, he also knew he had to stay focused! Thinking about easily defeating Skellig to avenge Candi only made him worry...would Candi hold up in her battle against Musaran?

She desperately tried to fire a centileg at his face, but with no luck!

Musaran: "Nice try!!!"

Musaran: "Now, I tear off limbs!!!"

Candi: "Not till you answer...for my DAUGHTER!!!"

She didn't hesitate! Right as he was preparing to break her leg, she let out a swift punch right to his face, breaking his nose instantly!

As the shocked monster flew backwards, flailing uncontrollably as he dropped his prey; he smashed into another monitor! The shock Ciem felt was now going through HIS metallic body!

Musaran: "Die! KILLLL!!! Noooooooo!!!!"

Knowing she risked more painful shock, Ciem quickly pulled out a centileg and grabbed at the backvisor, holding it in her hand!

Ciem: "And now, you wretched thing...THIS IS FOR DONTE!!!"

She smashed the backvisor in her hands over her knee, right as Jeraime fell to the ground! The unit let out what sounded like a shrill, demonic scream. The lights in the unit went dim as she thrust it violently into a corner. Jeraime was still fighting for life; but the butcher Musaran had finally paid for his crimes!

With more security on the way, Emeraldon quickly secured an exit, and began setting the control decks on fire! He activated the ship's self-destruct at the last second! More armed soldiers headed towards him, only to die as he flew away!

Emeraldon: "This is for you, Candi!!!"

Almost instantly, the entire sky was set ablaze! The redeemed hero flew away as quickly as he could, realizing that even though the ship was destroyed and the debris would land wherever, that Candi might still be in need of his help!

If his motive were revenge, it would have been sweet. Yet, he was content in simply knowing that the city would survive another day; and that the menaces of so long were once again put in their place.

Meanwhile, Candi rushed to save Jeraime's life. She pulled him out of the way of the electric surge, unplugging the devices that were causing him the grief!

It was a shame - all that expensive equipment destroyed in one battle, especially since the building was brand new, and employees were supposed to start work within a week at the grand opening!

Nevertheless, Candi had promised Dolly that she would make an effort to get Jeraime back - alive! She had no intention of going back on her word now!

His wounds partially cauterized by the burns, Jeraime slowly came to; and felt very little blood. Yet...the pain in his nose was agonizing!

Jeraime: "Where? What? Time for a charge already? Ow! My NOSE!!!"
Original Poster
#73 Old 11th Dec 2008 at 6:39 AM
Default Chapter 30, Part 4

Jeraime: (coughing) "Who...who's there?"

Candi: "It's all right now, Jeraime!"

Jeraime: "Dolly?"

Candi: "No. My name is Candi. Your wife was once looking for me. I'm here."

Jeraime: "I...can...barely see you..."

Candi: "A secret to keep...I am known now to criminals as Ciem! I destroyed the backvisor, Jeraime! It won't pollute your mind any further with thoughts of killing and destruction!"

Jeraime: "You...took my eyesight too, I fear!"

Candi: "I'm sure Dolly will accept you, no matter what we've all lost to get to this point!"

Jeraime: "Don't...be too sure my nephew Henry...will understand!"

Candi: "I'm sorry. There's nothing I can do about that. But I'm gonna get you to a hospital, stat!"

Jeraime: "Candi...before I go...completely blind..."

Jeraime: "I'm...sorry about what I did to your family! I will...never be able to repay you for their murders!"

Candi: "Arfaas and Musaran are the real murderers! They've merely used you -and me - to achieve their ends! Musaran, I'm confident, is no more. And one day, Arfaas will be brought to justice too!"

Jeraime: "I will be forever haunted by the memory of crushing Denny's neck!"

Candi: "As will I be haunted for marrying him against my better judgment, putting him at further risk! I will also be haunted for not taking Arfaas' goons more seriously, the death of my sister, and the loss of my daughter.

We have both let everyone down. But today...today...I feel, we have both found the redemption we have so long sought for!"

Candi knew she had to be quick about her actions, lest she draw too much suspicion to herself. She helped Jeraime shave after getting the last of the Musaran armor off, and then changed out of her own suit before crafting a story. Donte, successful at defeating the Meethlites, felt it best if he helped.

The paramedics arrived to help haul the injured blind man away, with National Guard trucks assisting since the police were still being reorganized to replace the fallen Arfaas loyalists.

Andrew Hanby: "Well! I must say...it's a good thing Ciem was backing you up, Mr. Emeraldon! I'm pretty sure this one will be fine. But the mess upstairs could cost thousands of dollars to repair!"

Dolly: "Musaran was a true monster! Having my husband back is more than worth the thousands...even if he will be blind for life!"

Dolly: "Thanks, Candi. You truly are something wonderful! And if things work out between you and Donte...I'd be honored to have you...as a sister-in-law!"

Candi: "Thanks. I'd be honored...just to have a family again! I'll pay for the treat..."

Dolly: "No! No need! Don't punish yourself more than you already have! It is partially my fault and Jeraime's that Denny and Angie are in the morgue...I'll pay!"

Dolly: "AND...I'll make sure your secret's safe with us! I won't let Henry know anything he doesn't have to!"

Candi: "Thanks...again!"

Dolly: "However..."

Dolly: "You're on your own paying for the funerals!"

Candi: "Agreed. Now get going with the meds! Your husband's gonna need you now...more than you'll ever know!"

The military and paramedics left with the Malestroms, finally leaving Candi and Donte with the moment they had wished for - a moment along together! They hadn't had this luxury in almost two years. They were finally alone...and for once, nothing sought to disrupt them!

Donte: "So much death. So much war! At last...love found a way! What now?"

Candi: "We'll both need homes."

Donte: "We'll cross that bridge when we get there, hun. I'm afraid though...what if our lives together don't last?"

Candi: "Silly! I didn't bust us out of jail just so we could...fear-and-doubt our way to oblivion!"

Donte: "The cancer...my love! Getting my powers back hasn't stopped it! I...I have to find Ploribus and..."

Candi: "One second..."

Realizing that she was aware of what he wanted to say, he agreed that they needed a brief time out. Her kiss was not enough to erase his fear, but was more than enough to awaken in him desires of youth he had feared he would never experience again.

Clearly, she had helped him return from the dead, as her love for him had saved her from death numerous times. All they needed now was to clean up the enormous mess that their enemies had left behind, and slowly rebuild their ravaged lives.

Donte: "I'll need to lay low somewhere. I'll...have to find your half-brother Ploribus, and go in to him for treatments. I fear though, that the treatments will cause me to lose my powers over time.

A Meethlite prison warden once told me of my illness. He has stated that the Phaelites can treat it and nearly cure it...but I will need to be in constant therapy!"

Candi: "You'll...be leaving? So soon?"

Donte: "Not to Phaelon, never! I never want to see another trip to Phaelon! But for the next six months, I may be scarce. You'll need to call me often. Therapy...won't be easy on us!"

Candi: "I understand. Until I have learned how to walk alone, as Ciem, I won't deserve to walk with another!"

Donte: "You've done great! You're only just beginning your career, dearest! You'll be wonderful as my replacement!"

Candi: "You...can never be replaced!"

Donte: "Nonsense! But I can assure you...with the events that have just unfolded, I'm pretty sure Dirbine is willing to accept Ciem now...more than ever!"

Candi: "Donte?"

Donte: "Yes?"

Candi: "I think we'd better get going. Laurie...still has my purse."

Donte: "Er...good point."
Original Poster
#74 Old 11th Dec 2008 at 6:41 AM
Default Chapter 31: "Cancer Can't Stop Love"

It was finally June, and Candi was torn between her desire to embrace her new life with Donte in it, and her desire to pay due respect to Denny and Angie.

The funeral service proper in the church would be held soon, but Candi wanted a private ceremony as well. It was easy enough for her to arrange with the funeral home owner, Pong, since he was quite familiar with her from forensic science classes.

Pong: "I am convinced, that in both life and death, Denny really wanted for Candi to find happiness, even if it wasn't with him.

He would be proud today, to know that she has found what she always sought. Greatness has come to us today, even though it had to come via extreme chains of horrific tragedies."

Pong: "And so, in closing, do I say, Amen!"

Donte and Candi: "Amen!"

Donte: "Your hair...why did you switch back to black? I kinda liked it red!"

Candi: "I don't feel like a widow with red. The red helps me have confidence...independence! But I don't want that today!

Today, I want to pay homage to Denny, who only ever knew me as his black-haired wife! My hair is also the way it was when I gave birth to Angie. She deserves to see her mom the only way she's ever known her."

Donte: (whispering) "I like it black too. Red reminds me too much of Ciem. And you're right; this is no place for Ciem!"

Donte: "I'm hearing rumors that the Sapphire King is back. I know I can stop him again; but with my back the way it is, I'd love to have you as backup!"

Candi: "Absolutely! And I promise you, love, I'll be back in the red hair and the orange tights...just as soon as I've paid in full my proper respects to the dead."

Donte: "You're going to Gerosha then?"

Candi: "Yes. I've flagged down Marina's number, and I'll be staying with her for a short while. Her trailer park is just a few feet from the Gerosha Cemetary."

Donte: "The prodigal daughters have finally come home."

Candi: "Yes. I go as a Flippo to my old land. I will resume my Levens charades when I return!"

Donte: "I'll miss you while you're away!"

Candi: "And I'll miss you while you're in therapy!"

Donte: "The war is far from over. Will Ciem be ready for whatever comes next?"

Candi: "With the help of Emeraldon...I'm pretty sure she is!"

The bliss the two were caught up in was in full bloom. The two knew they would one day marry. Yet, even once their wedding day came, their love would never be as pure, as free from worry and guilt and shame, as it was on that day they wished each other goodbye, to face the consequences of their separate pasts.
Original Poster
#75 Old 11th Dec 2008 at 6:43 AM
Default Chapter 32: "The Sapphire King's New Bug Problem"

The Sanmarcos family felt that it would be a fine day in June to venture into town. They were wrong! The police were back in business, with most of the Arfaas loyalists gone. But new trouble was brewing in town.

Officer: "Señor, Señora, I'm gonna have to ask you two to leave the premises! We have an emergency!"

Sapphire King: "That's right, Emeraldon! I'm back too! I'd've thought that the Meethltes could do a better job!"

Emeraldon: "You're despicable, Saph! Don't you know I'm trying to retire? I've been at this game far too long!"

Sapphire King: "Code language! You're losing your nerve! You know you can't retire! Even if you stop me this time...there will be other threats to the city! You know it! One by one! One by one, they'll wear you down! And I'll come out on top!"

Sapphire King: "I know about your cancer...DONTE!!! See how everyone else has already fled? They don't even guard their own vehicles anymore! I can make this quick and easy, and save you the trouble of a painful death!"

Emeraldon: "Cute, Jordan! But you forget something!"

Sapphire King: "Yes?"

Emeraldon: "First...they're all right beneath us, ready to strike the minute I disable your firepower!"

Sapphire King: "The same old, same old! What else???"

Emeraldon: "I'm…not the city's only protector anymore!"

Sapphire King: "What??? No!!!..."

His look of certainty turned to gloom! He knew that while Emeraldon could easily disable his firepower temporarily; he still lacked the physical strength with his back pain to take down the horrific Sapphire King!

But Sapphire King never imagined his old foe would have a sidekick capable of snapping spines with a crushing embrace!

Just one building away from him stood Ciem, a pest he knew he hadn't prepared for! Having Zeran-teleported to the scene from a few buildings away, she was ready for action, and Saph knew that one way or another...this new centipede would be his undoing...and the undoing of many a pest in Dirbine for years to come.
Page 3 of 4