Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
#26 Old 3rd Aug 2006 at 6:38 PM
Poor little girl, its good shes got her uncle.
Cant wait for the next chapter!
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#27 Old 3rd Aug 2006 at 6:44 PM
Default Chapter 3
Uncle Remington

My Uncle and Trent were right. After my initial bout of nerves before take off and the uncomfortable popping in my ears, I started to enjoy myself.
Uncle Remington and I took the opportunity to talk, getting to know one another again. I hadn't seen him since last Christmas. Trent let us catch up and read the 'SimCity Times'.

After awhile my eyes grew heavy. I was so exhausted. I suppose all the events of the last couple of days were beginning to take it's toll on me.
Uncle Remington noticed that I was tired. He suggested I close my eyes and rest a bit. It would still be a few hours before we touched down in Montridge.
While I dozed I tried to recall everything my mother ever told me about her younger brother. I would be living with him now. The thought was still kind of strange to me.
I did remember that Uncle Remington had been very sick when he was a child. My mother said he had a bad heart.
My Uncle spent most of his childhood in the hospital. Even though Uncle Remington had surgery, he still had a dangerous heart condition. Mommy told me that he had to take dozens of pills and elixirs to keep his condition in check. He wasn't allowed to exert himself too much and got tired easily.
Mommy took good care of her little brother.

Uncle Remington loved to draw and paint. His dream was to become a fashion designer.
Mommy wanted a family, but before she met my father she was a model. She and Remington lived together and followed their dreams. They encouraged each other.
Mommy admitted that she fussed too much over her brother, but alleged that he was really over protective of her. She laughed that he became part Doberman towards the men that flocked around her.
It was while on holiday on Vacation Island that she met my father.
Mommy and Remington had been having espresso in a coffee shop when my father asked to join them.
Daddy and Mommy always claimed they fell in love at first site.

Mommy told me that Uncle Remington hated all the gentleman that expressed an interest in her. She took it as a good omen when he pronounced my father a 'keeper'.
It was Uncle Remington that walked my mother down the aisle on her wedding day.

After the wedding Uncle Remington returned to his life in Studio Town. Mommy made her home on Vacation Island. The siblings kept in touch via the telephone and postcards.
Every year at Thanksgiving to after the New Year, Uncle Remington came to stay with us at the resort. He came loaded with gifts for everyone. There was scotch and cigars for my father, expensive perfume and dresses for my mother, and lots of toys for me. I had dolls from every neighborhood in SimCity.
Uncle Remington was always a welcome guest in our home. We all loved him and wouldn't have cared if he didn't come bearing gifts....though we always loved everything he brought.

My mother would still fuss and make over Uncle Remington while he was visiting. Uncle Remington would laugh and call her a 'mother hen'.
I remembered my mother's last phone conversation with my Uncle.
Mommy had been thrilled that Uncle Remington had found someone nice to spend the rest of his life with. I was happy for him as well.

Before I realised it, I had fallen asleep. I woke up disoriented. It took me a moment to remember where I was.
Uncle Remington wasn't beside me any more, but there was a pillow behind my head and I was covered up with a blanket.
'I can't believe Mary is gone.' I heard Uncle Remington sob. 'She's always been there for me. I loved her so much. This wasn't suppose to happen. What if I mess things up with Lanie?'
'You still have me.' I heard Trent say. 'You won't be doing this alone. We're in this together."
I took a peek between the seats and saw that Trent was doing his best to calm my poor Uncle. I wanted to jump up and hug him as well, but something told me that this was a personal moment.
I shut my eyes again and pretended to be sleeping.

When Uncle Remington slipped back into his seat, I acted like I just woke up.
Trent told us that we should be landing soon.

Uncle Remington and I spent the remainder of the trip talking about his new home. He told me he had his staff getting everything ship shape and that I could have the entire third floor for my very own.
I had to admit it sounded very exciting.
After the plane landed and more painful ear popping, (much worse going down I thought), Uncle Remington lead the way.
Trent stood aside like a gentleman, to allow me to follow my Uncle, but I stopped. I somehow knew Mommy would rest easy knowing my Uncle was being taken care of.
'I'm glad my Uncle has such a good friend.' I told him. 'I'm happy that you will be living with us.'
Trent seemed touched by my comment. He squeezed my hands gently in his.
'Thank you, Lanie, I think that's the sweetest thing anyone has said to me in a long time.'

Taking my hand in his, we followed my Uncle off the plane.
Uncle Remington found his car in the parking lot.
'Let's go home, Lanie.' Trent winked at me, opening the car door.
The first chapter of my life drew to a close, while the next was just beginning.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 3rd Aug 2006 at 7:14 PM
I'm loving this story! I really like Remington and Trent; they make a cute couple. I'm looking forward to finding out what happens when Lanie begins the new chapter of her life. Good job setting up the plane scenes, as well.
Forum Resident
#29 Old 3rd Aug 2006 at 7:53 PM
This is a great story! Can't wait to read more
#30 Old 4th Aug 2006 at 12:17 AM
I love the flashbacks in black and white. That was a really neat touch. I love this story. I can't wait for the next chapter.

~Al
#31 Old 4th Aug 2006 at 12:48 AM
This is a very nice read. Good job Montridge.
Test Subject
#32 Old 4th Aug 2006 at 9:52 AM
Poor Regminton...but, does he still have to take lots of pills now because of his heart condition? Is he going to be a good father?

This was a great update!

^_^
Instructor
Original Poster
#33 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 4:16 AM
Default Chapter 4/1
My New Home (Part One)

We didn't go straight to Uncle Remington's place.
Montridge was still a rural neighborhood that was for the most part undeveloped forest land. It would still be a long journey by car to Uncle Remington's house.
My Uncle suggested that while we were still in the small down town area,
that we stop and have a bite to eat first.
None of us had eaten the rubber sandwiches we were served on the plane.
I realised I was starving. I hadn't had much of an appetite since the accident.
"Do you like cheeseburgers and onion rings?" Trent asked me.
Did I?!
"I know just where we can get the best of both in all of SimCity."
I was sold. My stomach rumbled at the very thought.
Uncle Remington muttered something about Trent sabotaging his diet, but he was out voted two to one.

The Happy Burger Shack really did have the best cheeseburgers and onion rings. We sat at the counter and had a really good time just talking.
I also managed to get ketchup on my good dress.
Luckily, I still had my carry-on and an extra outfit. I took the opportunity to freshen up a bit and change. I felt so much better after I washed my face and was back in my everyday clothes.

Trent suggested we play games and sing songs on the way home to help pass the time away. He warned there wasn't much to look at once we left the down town area.
Uncle Remington remarked that he didn't know which one of us was the little kid. I could tell he was really pleased that Trent and I were getting along so well.
When we sang our way down to twenty bottles of beer on the wall, I noticed a few scattered houses.
'Thank Goodness.' Uncle Remington quipped when Trent and I suddenly stopped singing. 'I was getting quite hung over from all that damn beer.'
My Uncle took us down a twisty gravel road and then onto a paved street.
'We're home, Darling.' he announced cheerfully, as he took us up a long narrow driveway.
Wow! I was looking at the biggest and most beautiful home I ever saw.

Credits:That big beautiful home was made by the talented SterlingDT.
I happened to find it again on the exchange.
Here's the link:
http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/lot...&user_id=135946
P.S. I'll upload any of my characters if anyone wants them (stripped of cc, hacks, memories etc. so they don't muck up your game...just PM me.)
Instructor
Original Poster
#34 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 6:06 AM
Default My New Home (Part 2)
At last! I was standing in front of what was to be my new home.
Though I wished with all my heart that the events from the last couple of weeks had been a very bad dream, I was still excited about going inside and exploring my Uncle's house. It was so pretty and beautifully landscaped.
He seemed to want me to like it very much.

Uncle Remington looked really happy when I told him how nice I thought it was.
'You'll like it much better from the inside.' he told me leading the way up the front steps.
'Now who's the little kid?' Trent grumbled as my Uncle took the stairs two at a time. 'Come along, Lanie.'
I had gotten side tracked by the pool. We had a pool at the resort, but no matter what time of night or day it was, there was always at least five people in it. I couldn't wait for the day I'd get to take a swim in this pool.

I was given a quick tour of the front rooms.

In the mean while Uncle Remington's staff of servants were summoned into an office off the main entry way. I was introduced to Mrs. Hammond the cook, Giuseppe the butler, and Nan Sing the maid. They all welcomed me very nicely and sincerely.

After a quick tour of the rest of the house, I was shown my room and bath.
I could barely breathe. It was like a little girl's bedroom from a glamour magazine.
'You like?' Uncle Remington asked hopefully.
'Very much.' I said when I could exhale.
'I'm so glad, Lanie.' he told me, stroking my cheek. 'I want you to feel at home here.'
Then in an aside to Trent while I looked around at all the perfectly pink prettiness. 'At least somebody will make use of this room.'
My childish ears detected an under current in his words.
'I'm happy that you like it, Lanie.' Trent flashed my uncle a look I couldn't quite decipher. 'I'll have Giuseppe bring up your things.'
He turned leaving my Uncle and I alone.

'I'll leave you to get used to your new room.' my Uncle seemed in a hurry to go after Trent. 'I'll send Nan Sing up to help you unpack.'
'Is everything all right?'
'Just fine, darling. I just have a few things to attend too.'
End of part 2...this has not been my day...part 3 coming right up!
Instructor
Original Poster
#35 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 6:25 AM
Default My New Home (Part 3)
Left to my own devices I looked everything over. My Uncle (and/or Trent) thought of every little thing that would make a little girl feel right at home.
I really did like my new room. I had so much fun examining everything.

There was even a balcony outside my new room. I couldn't resist jumping up on the patio furniture and looking out over the railing. I could see all sorts of interesting sights from three stories up. Never having a problem with high places, I quite enjoyed myself.

After Giuseppe brought up my things and Nan Sing helped me decide where to put them, I was ready for another nap. I woke up to Nan Sing knocking discreetly at my door. It was dinner time. I let her smooth out my hair and lead me down to the dining room.
I was touched to see my Uncle remembered my favorite meal.

Our dinner was a very pleasant one. The only thing I didn't like was talk of enrolling me into private school. If there was any tension between my Uncle and Trent it had passed.
After dinner, Trent retired to his home office to catch up on some phone calls he needed to make. My Uncle and I went into the parlor where Giuseppe had built a fire.
'I'm so glad you're here, Lanie. You're just what this place needed. I really hope you will think of this as your home.'
I suspected I would in time. I already adored my Uncle and was becoming very fond of Trent as well.

That night after hearing my prayers and helping me undo my hair, Uncle Remington tucked me into bed. It didn't take long after the lights were shut off to fall asleep. My first night in my new home had been a happy one.
However; the next morning I was in tears!
#36 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 6:47 AM
JUst found this and read what youv'e written so far. I'm really liking it and can't wait for the next update to find out why she was suprised/upset!
Test Subject
#37 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 6:47 AM
I started reading your story a few days ago, and this is my first time commenting, and I'd like to say I really love what you've got here so far. The storyline is consistently interesting, and is pretty original.

Also, I'm really impressed with Remington's house. The landscaping in particular, because I know how much of a pain that can be to do.
Test Subject
#38 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 11:04 AM
I really like the house as well! Great updates...did someone die and the room was going to be for them?

^_^
Test Subject
#39 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 11:57 AM
The house is great, i really like it. Good story too.
#40 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 12:07 PM
wow i love the story! really excellent!
Forum Resident
#41 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 4:21 PM
wow... such a great story!! And I love Lanie's dress... so cute :D
#42 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 7:12 PM
Awesome update! I can't wait to find out what has Elaine freaked out!!
Instructor
Original Poster
#43 Old 9th Aug 2006 at 11:04 PM
Default My Bad Hair Day
When I woke up the next morning in my Uncle's house, it took me a moment to remember where I was. I felt an aching sense of loss that my parents had died and this would be my home from now on.
I rolled out of the pretty pink bed and staggered to the bathroom. When I caught sight of myself in the mirror, I realised my hair was not in it's accustomed style of three ringlets caught up in a ponytail.
(Why was it so important I get my hair back in order? I've had years to analyze why I totally freaked out that morning. What it boiled down to was that this hairstyle created by my mother was a bond I still had with her.)
Before this morning my mother and then Candy had fixed my hair for me. I realised now I was on my own.
Pulling out a set of hot rollers and other implements provided for me in my new room, I set to work. All I succeeded in doing was becoming really frustrated.

'Lanie, Darling.' my Uncle found me in a total snit. 'What's the matter?'
I'll never know if he'd just come up to see if I was awake or heard me bawling my head off.
Tearfully, I sobbed that I just couldn't get my hair to do what I wanted. At the time it seemed a life or death tragedy. The world would simply end if I couldn't get my normal hairstyle back.
My poor Uncle. He was really clueless about temperanmental little girls, hot rollers, and styling hair.
'Um...let's see what I can do.'
I have to give him credit. He really did try.
After much hair twisting, pulling, and a few curses he had accidently slipped out.
'There you go, Darling.'

WRONG!!!
I wasn't at all diplomatic about telling him that his hairstyling skills really sucked. So we repeated the process a few more times until we were both really cross with each other.
WRONG AGAIN!!!

When my uncle made the suggestion we just go out and have my hair cut, I threw myself to the ground and really howled. I also reminded him that if he hadn't taken my hair down in the first place, I might have just smoothed it back into place. I was truly being ridiculous, but at the time it was the end of the world as I knew it.

'What on earth is going on up here?' Trent came up to see what all the commotion was about.
'Lanie's being quite impossible!' my Uncle spat out. He was now equally as vexed as I was. 'If you don't get up off that floor this very instant...I'll...I'll do something really drastic...you won't like it!'
'The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, I see.' Trent commented.

'I can really use a hand here.' my Uncle sounded really desperate. 'Perhaps Mrs. Hammond can do something with her.'
Trent came over and knelt down to talk to me.
'Lanie, Honey.' he tried reasoning with me. 'What is it?'
In the deepest depths of despair I wailed out my hair style crisis.
Gently, but firmly Trent lifted me to my feet.
'Calm down, Lanie.' Trent spoke soothingly. I think that he knew deep down what was really bothering me. I'm sure my Uncle did as well, but he was reacting to the shabby way I had treated him. "It's not rocket science. I'm sure that between the three of us, we can get your hair back into the style you like.'

'Like you have any clue on how to twist hair into those ringlet things!' my Uncle took a seat. 'This ought to be interesting.'
I really didn't hold any hope that Trent would be any better at styling my hair, but I resigned myself to let him have his go at it.
'It seems I've seen the nanny do my daughter's hair up in those curly cues a few times.' Trent mused before holding out his hand to my Uncle.
'Hot roller.' he ordered in the manner of a surgeon requesting a scalpel.
My Uncle I have to admit, handed him the first one quite vigorously.
As we progressed I began to relax. It felt right.
My Uncle also seemed calmer as he continued to hand Trent the specified hair implements. He seemed interested in what Trent was doing to my hair.
'You have a daughter?'
'Yes,' Trent coiled a lock of my hair around one of rollers. 'She's a little bit older than you. She lives with her mother.'
'Will I get to meet her?'
'Perhaps.' Trent's tone was light, but I saw a fleeting look of hurt in his eyes.
'Hair spray.'
I didn't want to ask any more about it. Obviously he and his wife had divorced. It must still be painful. I was also starting to feel bad about my angry words at my Uncle. I didn't need to get in any more trouble with him.
It occurred to me that instead of private school he could very well send me to one of those schools that you had to live at.
'Now try to pay attention, Lanie to what I do. I'll see if I can get Nan Sing to come in early and assist you in future, but you really need to learn to do this yourself.'
After a few minutes, the rollers were removed, and my hair bound in place.

My hair was restored to normal. A great weight had been lifted from my shoulders only to be replaced by a few more. I had made my Uncle mad at me. Not a good idea since he had been kind enough to take me in. I also felt my mother would be appalled at my behavior.
'Captain Hero to the rescue.' my Uncle quipped sarcastically from his chair.
When I looked into his face, I saw that he wasn't mad anymore. He was laughing.
I quickly tried to make amends. I apologised to my Uncle with a hug. He returned it with a kiss on the cheek.

I also thanked Trent for all of his help and voiced my regrets to both gentlemen that I had behaved so atrociously. I knew my mother would be so ashamed of the way I had acted. She had this sorrowful way of looking down on me when I had been particularly naughty. I could actually feel her eyes burning down on me from Heaven.
'Dealing with temper tantrums are a part of my daily routine.' Trent grinned.
'Your little bout of tears is nothing compared to what the young ladies at my modeling agency put me through.'
'Not to mention,' my uncle added with a chuckle. 'I throw at least three daily myself. You and I are more alike than I ever suspected. I'm sorry too. '
'Let's just put this behind us and move on.' Trent motioned to my Uncle with a jerk of his head to follow him down the stairs. 'Wash your face and put on a nice dress. We have things to do today and breakfast is getting cold.'
I dressed quickly eager to see what Uncle Remington and Trent had planned for today. I was also determined to show them how really good and agreeable
I could be. I even felt like I had my mother's forgiveness since I was truly sorry. When I came down stairs I couldn't help giving my Uncle another hug.
'Don't worry about it,' my Uncle chucked me playfully under the chin. 'you're not any where as bad as I was. I was a real little sh-er brat because I was sick and knew I could get away with murder if I wanted.'
Trent had taken the serving platter from Mrs. Hammond and was setting the table himself. He had moved us all closer together at the table.

Once at the table everything was right again. Uncle Remington and Trent had taken the day off from their normal schedule to get me settled in properly. They were going to show me their office in Montridge and introduce me to a couple good friends. I couldn't wait!

My Note: Thanks again for the FB! I hope everyone continues to enjoy this. My hubby keeps bugging me about going to the store with him so if this chapter isn't as good blame him.
P.S. Any constructive criticism is always welcome.
Forum Resident
#44 Old 9th Aug 2006 at 11:41 PM
This was a great chapter And now I'm really hungry from looking at the bacon and eggs in that last picture LOL
#45 Old 10th Aug 2006 at 9:21 AM
Poor Elaine. Remington cracks me up, though!! I like the chapter. Tell the hubby he is very much allowed to go to the store without you. Can't wait to meet the rest of the town. Update soon!!

~Al
Mad Poster
#46 Old 10th Aug 2006 at 6:22 PM
OK, this is probably really obvious, but is Remington THE Remington the maid? That is some great makeover!

I enjoy your story a lot, and wait for updates .... AFTER you get those groceries for your husband and cope with reality first, of course!
Test Subject
#47 Old 11th Aug 2006 at 5:11 PM
The two parents are really something! I love how they treat her. Nice update

^_^
Instructor
Original Poster
#48 Old 11th Aug 2006 at 10:01 PM
Default A Glimpse into my Uncle's World
Once again we were in my Uncle's car. This time we were headed toward Montridge. Uncle Remington took the wheel. I would soon learn that my Uncle loved to drive and had a bit of a lead foot. Being a car enthusiast he would trade his car in every couple of years for a newer faster model. Trent was content to allow my Uncle to do all the driving.
'I forbid any singing today.' Uncle Remington declared. 'If you two want to pass the time constructively we can chat about things we would like to do once we get down town.'
'We could go to Phelps.' Trent suggested. 'Lanie may need a few new things.'
'I'm sure it's just Lanie we're thinking about here.' Uncle Remington remarked.
'Of course.' Trent turned in his seat to wink at me. 'Phelps is the biggest department store in Montridge. You'll love it.'
I would also learn that Trent was a bit of a dandy. He could spend hours browsing the mens wear section at Phelp's. I'm sure he had more suits, ties, and other fashionable accessories than the famous Dagmar Valentine* had shoes.
The trip did not seem long at all. I had a good time contributing to the conversation and enjoying the playful banter between my Uncle and Trent. That was another thing I'd get used to.
We finally stopped in front of a big brick building on the town square.
'It used to be a candy factory.' Uncle Remington told me. 'We converted it into several offices....though every now and again you can still smell the chocolate.'
'I hope Inez remembered I took the day off. I intend to see only two people today and that's it. Trent commented as we went inside.
I was soon introduced to Inez. I reckoned because it was his secretary, Trent made the introductions.

Uncle Remington was eager to show me his part of the building first. One of the highlights of this trip was when he caught his staff taking a coffee break. They had assumed he wasn't coming in at all.
'Counting the little disagreement you two had this morning, I believe this is going to be temper tantrum number two.' Trent whispered conspriratively.
Was he ever right about that!

(Editing out all the words I wasn't allowed to say...here's the gist of my Uncle's tirade.)
'I don't pay you people to lolligag about! We have movie stars and royalty waiting on my creations! I went through the difficulty of designing these gowns the very least you can do is SEW THEM UP AND GET THEM DELIVERED!!!! That's what I pay you for! I shouldn't have to stand over you every FREAKING moment to see that you do your jobs!!!'

I never saw three people scurry so fast to start sewing in my life. It was quite impressive.
I didn't hear any more than that because Trent and I quickly ducked out into the hallway until the storm blew over.

*The legendary SimCity actress
My Note: I named my store Phelps in honor of one of my all time favorite movies 'The Big Store' starring the Marx Brothers.
angelkitten056: As always it's nice to get FB from you as well. You will find that Lanie's life is anything but conventional.
Two more chapters will be up soon. I just cut a really long chapter into three parts.
Instructor
Original Poster
#49 Old 12th Aug 2006 at 4:42 AM
Default Helen (Part 1)
While Trent and I waited in the hallway for Uncle Remington to finish yelling at his staff, a buzzer went off. Trent made a move to go back into my Uncle's production room, but we heard Remington snap.
'What is it Inez?'
'I er...wanted to let Mr. Thorton know that Miss Harper and Mrs. Deppiesse have just come in. I told them to go ahead and wait in Mr. Thortons office.'
'That's fine Inez, thank you.' my Uncles tone was calmer. 'I'll let Mr. Thorton know.'
'I heard.' Trent grinned when Uncle Remington poked his head out. 'Are you coming with us or do you need to berate your crew a bit more?'
Uncle Remington came all the way out then.
'I'm going with you.' he was suddenly all smiles and charm. He seized hold of my hand. 'Darling, your going to love these nice ladies we're going to introduce you to. They are much more than mere friends. Trent and I consider them family.'
My Uncle had a really short fuse, but he burned out quickly. I would get used to that as well.
I reached for Trent's hand with my free one. He gave mine a gentle squeeze in return. He seemed to appreciate being included.
Uncle Remington and I allowed him to lead the way.
Two pretty ladies were indeed waiting on us in Trents office.
'Allie, Helen.' Trent rushed forward to kiss the cheek of the older of the two women. He clasped the hands of the younger.
After voicing his hopes that they hadn't been kept waiting long. Trent once again made introductions.

I was instantly drawn to the older woman. She had a motherly aura about her I was hungry for. Her name was Allie Deppiesse. The younger of the two was introduced as Allie's daughter, Miss Helen Harper. I did not miss the pride in Trent's tone. I had a feeling I'd seen her somewhere before.

While both women hugged Uncle Remington, Trent told me that Helen was his biggest success story. He had discovered her when she was not much older than me having a sandwich with her family at the Happy Burger Shack.
Helen had started out modeling and doing commericails. She was now shooting a major motion picture. Helen would be the sixth in a long line of actresses to play Midget the Surfer Girl. Wow! I was meeting a real live movie star!

'I'm not a movie star yet.' Helen quickly reminded Trent modestly. Her smile was really sweet. She was nothing like how I imagined a star would act. At seven years old I wasn't really up with who's who in Studio Town. The only actress that I knew by name was Dagmar Valentine. There was not a Sim alive that didn't hear of her antics. She supposedly had a closet full of shoes, had been married at least ten times, was always in trouble for slapping policemen, and was said to beat assistants with what ever she had close at hand. The picture of her snatching the last Sleep N' Snore Bob Newbie from a small child at a toy store graced the tabloids at the supermarket for months.
I had a jaded view of actresses because of Ms. Valentine.
I sincerely hoped that fame wouldn't spoil this nice girl in front of me.
Trent meanwhile had busied himself making drinks for everyone.
'So,' his tone suddenly became stern as he faced Helen. 'Your mother tells me you have some news to share with us.'
'Yes I do, Mr. Thorton. I'm engaged to be married.'

Be back in a jiff with Part II.
Instructor
Original Poster
#50 Old 12th Aug 2006 at 6:23 AM
Default Helen (Part 2)
There was a brief pause.
I didn't miss the looks that passed quickly between the three older adults.
Helen however; looked radiant as she shared her good news.
'I suppose it's that what's his name you've been seeing...' Trent did not sound pleased at all. 'That Roland Harris.'
'Reginald Harris' Helen corrected firmly. She held out her hand for Trent and my Uncle to see her engaement diamond.
'What ever.' Trent grumbled.

'Please be happy for me.' Helen turned on the charm. 'I can't stay a little girl forever.'
'What do you really know about this guy?'
'We've been dating a year.'
'You're simply too young to think about marriage.' my Uncle spoke up. 'Besides you always promised you'd marry me.'
Helen giggled while Allie took a chair. I followed.
'Helen's mind is made up.' Allie's tone was light, though her eyes were worried. 'They plan to marry in June.'
'That's months away!' my Uncle exclaimed gleefully. 'Plenty of time to put a big wrench in Roald's plans to steal you away.'
'It's Reginald ' I saw a spark of impatience in Helen's eyes. 'Can't everyone be happy for me. I know what I'm doing! I'm not a child anymore. I'm an adult!'

'Oh darling!' Uncle Remington tried to soothe her. 'Of course we're happy for you...It's just that we haven't gotten the chance to really know this..er..Reginald fellow well...I'll tell you what let's pop over to my studio and talk about your plans. If you're really set on doing this I insist that I design your wedding dress...even though you're breaking my heart.'
Helen looked really excited then. Tears of joy welled in her eyes.
'Would you? Your the greatest Mr. Mansfield!'

'What do you and Tony think about this?' Trent asked Allie after Remington led Helen into his studio. I had been asked to go along, but knew I might find out why it was that nobody seemed to like this Reginald guy if I stayed put.
'We don't like it at all.' Allie confided. 'It's nothing that Reginald has actually done. It's just a bad feeling we get...a vibe that's not right.'
'I get the same feeling.' Trent declared. 'Can't you and Tony lock her up in a room?'
'Trent we can't! Helen's right it is her decision to make. I'm just glad it's a long engagment. A lot can happen in several months time...hopefully!'

'Enough about our problems.' Allie got up from her chair as Trent took a seat behind his desk. 'I want to get to know this little lady here.'
Allie and I chatted for a few moments while we waited for her daughter to return. I have to admit I was happy to be the center of her attention for the time being. Allie reminded me quite a bit of my own mother.

Before Allie and Helen left they insisted we come to their house for dinner that evening. Allie was not going to take no for an answer.
My Uncle and Trent finally agreed they'd be delighted to accept their kind invitation. I was glad. I really liked Allie.

'So did you and Allie hatch a dastardly plan to get rid of that Richard while I kept Helen distracted?' Uncle Remington wanted to know. 'We can't allow her to marry that guy. He looks like two bit gangster to me. He's simply not good enough for our Helen!'
'Later.' Trent held up a hand changing the subject. 'It's not like we didn't see this coming. However; I don't want to think about it now. Let's just enjoy the rest of our day.'
I was all for that.
After we went to Phelps, we bought a picnic basket and had lunch in the park.
Forgetting all of our troubles for the time being we had a good time watching the clouds and just enjoying each others company.
Page 2 of 29