Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#26 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 7:54 PM
There are some Chinese based companies. I think Bobobie is in China, and Fantasy Doll, another new, cheaper company. And my boy's body came from China, at 50% off it was $200. The other thing is there is a bit of a history of most of the problem companies have been Chinese, (this does not say that most of the Chinese companies have had problems). But there has definitely been issues in the past of Chinese companies bootlegging other companies dolls, especially Volks.

And my boy's Domuya Flexi-body makes the wooden mannekins (sp?) look like they're solid, in fact, there's a picture of him next to one on my site that I linked above. Meh, I find a lot more use for my doll than for my tv, and my doll will retain his value better than a tv. As I get better at crafting doll stuff I might even be able to make money off the doll. At the last doll meet someone was surprised to learn he didn't have a company faceup, and that it was only my second attempt.

Okay Catwalk, who did you get him from? That pic looks terribly familiar.

"Segregate the sinful sexes..." "Wait, how many sexes are there?" "Two." "It's not enough I say, go out and order some more."
Advertisement
Original Poster
#27 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 7:54 PM
frozen_wings on DOA. belladonna did the faceup. He used to be called Krystian, but the new Krystian is a boySoony.

It's true though, dolls never devaluate. The price always goes up or does barely down unless you've cracked them in half or something.
Field Researcher
#28 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 8:01 PM
<scampers to her DoA tab> Well, I was right about recognizing him then. I look forward to seeing how you personalize him. Abio Angel's are lovely, they just don't fit for any of my priority characters.

And if you can make a rep customizing (mods or faceups) they can really go up.

"Segregate the sinful sexes..." "Wait, how many sexes are there?" "Two." "It's not enough I say, go out and order some more."
Original Poster
#29 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 8:25 PM
Deej is going to have a lot of tattoo work I plan, so I must buy truckloads of MSC (For those who don't know, MSC or Testor's Dulcote are what you use to seal your doll before you do anything. If you're going to change it's faceup, spray it with either and then if you mess up, it easily washes away. ^^)

It's true though, if you get good at customizing you can make truckloads of money, that's how a lot of people actually pay for their dolls!
Field Researcher
#30 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 9:30 PM
I'm working on my customizing technique now, and using MSC for the first time as the hobby shop was out of Testors! I just hope I don't run out of sealer again (they only had one can). I absolutely adore doing the faceups, so I hope I can get good enough that other people will want my work, just so I have more heads to play with! Blakrose made a comment at the meet about maybe getting me to do lips for one of her dolls...

Lab Assistant
#31 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 11:39 PM
wow those dolls are gorgeous! but they kind of creep me out and they're sooooo expensive. But much cooler than Barbies :D

I love Jude Law
Original Poster
#32 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 11:56 PM
They're also like 3x the size. I hated Barbie when I was little. I would highly doubt it would be good to give a little kid one of these.
Field Researcher
#33 Old 11th Jul 2007 at 1:11 AM
Here, Tanal (my ABJD) and an old Jem doll, Jem dolls were about 1/2 in taller than Barbie.

Yeah, I've been collecting dolls for a long time.

Lab Assistant
#34 Old 11th Jul 2007 at 4:00 AM
#35 Old 11th Jul 2007 at 4:05 AM
This is the doll I want right now. Full package (makeup, doll, hair, eyes, outfit, accesories) is $770. Not including shipping (is coming from Korea) I only have $50 and I am so sad. ;-;

Edit: AdamMlover that doll is beautiful! I especially like alice/rococco/lolita dolls.
Original Poster
#36 Old 11th Jul 2007 at 4:11 AM
MUSEDOLL! That's one I was forgetting! *stabs the list on the front page*

AdamMLover - I love her, she's gorgeous! Full sets are even more expensive though. Yikes! Actually, I just looked, she's not too bad! 0_0

Before you get any of them, I suggest you look at the blank face first. You want to make sure you like the doll, not just the faceup, because those come off.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 11th Jul 2007 at 4:14 AM
that doll is beautiful too. The good thing about the one I want is that it is less than $400
#38 Old 11th Jul 2007 at 4:16 AM
Catwalk: Musedoll is my favorite And don't worry, I know the makeup is right, and iI'm also glad that they offer the makeup service. I couldn't paint a blank face, ever. I would mess it up so bad.
Test Subject
#39 Old 11th Jul 2007 at 4:19 AM
I'm soooo obsessed.
I love aletier muse's stuff right now... but I love so much, i dunno!
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 11th Jul 2007 at 4:30 AM
Wow, they are sooo dreamy! however, the price scares me...
Reminds me a lot of the anime paradise kiss.

"I'm just pretending to be a poser"
Test Subject
#41 Old 11th Jul 2007 at 4:39 AM
I love that anime... maybe there's a connection in this?

Anyways... hehehe...
I have a question for all y'alls.
On a doll like this:: http://www.dollsoom.com/shop/step1.php?number=2433
Would the eyes be forever shut, or is there something that allows you to open them? How does this work?
#42 Old 11th Jul 2007 at 4:42 AM
Oh, oh, oh. *sobs* I want one so bad. Unfortunately, my parents would shoot me if I asked for a doll worth $200. But the moment I get a job I'm setting aside some money for one. :]
Original Poster
#43 Old 11th Jul 2007 at 4:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lustyforlife
On a doll like this:: http://www.dollsoom.com/shop/step1.php?number=2433
Would the eyes be forever shut, or is there something that allows you to open them? How does this work?

They are forever closed, unless you get them modded (basically cutting open its eyes) Sometimes people do that for a different effect, like this:

(photo by belladonna)
Test Subject
#44 Old 11th Jul 2007 at 4:56 AM
...so I'd have to get one sleeping and one awake if I liked the sleeping one?
Original Poster
#45 Old 11th Jul 2007 at 4:58 AM
No, you can get just the sleeping or dreaming if you wish.
#46 Old 11th Jul 2007 at 5:02 AM
I love these dolls. The first time I saw then was on deviantArt, Heise put up some pictures.
If I had the money I would dream of having one *laugh*
They are gorgeous.
Field Researcher
#47 Old 11th Jul 2007 at 5:26 AM
lustyforlife - Some people use a sleeping/dreaming head and a regular head for the same doll, but it seems like more people go with making them separate characters (some places, like Luts offer sets that include both style heads). Personally, I'm saving towards the Dollshe SA Bernard (SA = Slack Afternoon, Dollshe's version of dreaming) with no intention of getting the regular head for that character.

Pandaness - It's actually quite easy to paint the faces, and fabulous for bonding with the doll. I just completed my third faceup (well, the eyelashes and eyes aren't back in yet, but that's minor). If you just like the company faceup, how well will you like it after that face has gotten worn, scratched or chipped? A new faceup my be very similar but not identical, will you still love her then?

Here's more doll shops:
http://www.fdoll.com/ Fantasy Doll
http://tensiya.com/ Tensiya - for Dollshe, exclusive carrier of Bermanns

#48 Old 11th Jul 2007 at 11:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Catwalk
I noticed through a post on the "What Did You Find Out Today?" board that a lot of people here are interested in them! Soo. Discuss your thoughts (Positive and negitive, I know some people think they are creepy. ) and maybe talk about your own resin kiddies?

Does this mean my post started this thread back up? I sure did miss the old one and looking at all the gorgeous Bjd's everyone were interested in.

I can't believe I'm actually an owner of one of this precious little things now, but I have to remember that even though I didn't have a problem with spending this kind of money on my Luca (why not on something that you truly want?) my parents thought it was a little more strange :doh but I love my boy, He's lying in my lap right now looking at me with sleepy eyes and he says hi to you guys :]

Thohep & Catwalk, love/still love your dolls and their pics :] Looking at your arrival pictures Thohep reminds me so much of when I opened up mine and how excited I was, I couldn't help but take some pics too! But a question to you, when you first got your dolls body was it hard for it to stand and bend with out it trying to snap into positions sometimes? Maybe it's because mine is new but I'm having that problem a little. Catwalk that guy is too beautiful, a huge congrats to you.

About the sleeping head thing, you can't open up their eye lids any wider, my Luca's eyes are pretty sleepy and narrow and I couldn't help but let my curiousity get the better of me and try and gently nudge them open lol. I quite like the mold but It's your choice which one you choice to get.

Pandaness, I feel your pain. This hobby sure doesn't come cheap does it? But she is very pretty and I'm sure she will be very worth it if you are going to buy her. Can you guys believe some parents actually help their kids buy these? I had no help from mine whatsoever. Oh how I'm jealous.

AdamMLover, She is very pretty, I adore her makeup and resin. (that outfit is to die for!) Are you going to buy her too?

*wonders where Shimmeringcat is*
Field Researcher
#49 Old 11th Jul 2007 at 1:09 PM
Hakuryuu - Actually, when Tanal's body first came I couldn't even get him to sit up straight, he was that loose. Now, with hot glue sueding and the stringing tightened he's posing quite nicely. Barefoot he can stand with only minor support, and with his brand new boots (put them on for the first time this morning) he's finally able to stand unsupported! I'm kind of in alt over this. And the body blushing I finished at midnight last night looks decent.

But he can finally stand!!!!!

Um, yeah... Now that he's strung tighter he does a little bit of snapping, but only from a couple very specific positions. I've noticed several people on DoA calling the Domuya Flexi-Body the Floppy-Body, so basically, I have a doll not known for being kicky. My next doll will be one with a reputation for kicking, so, hopefully in less than a year I may have first hand experience. I think it's hilarious that apparently some people have opened their doll's box and gotten punched or kicked because the doll was strung so tight. And if I ever get kicked I'll probably find that hilarious too, I just have that sort of personality.

That's H.Ducan, isn't it? (Still working on my ability to ID doll molds.)

I'd had my boy for a couple weeks before my parents even found out about him (yay for being mostly independent), and when she met him my mom said "Are you sure he's a boy?" sized him up and continued, "He's too tall for Miss Revlon." (Her 18in fashion doll.) I just about cracked up.

Test Subject
#50 Old 11th Jul 2007 at 1:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pandaness
This is the doll I want right now. Full package (makeup, doll, hair, eyes, outfit, accesories) is $770. Not including shipping (is coming from Korea) I only have $50 and I am so sad. ;-;

That one is so adorable
I want a BJD so bad. I talked to my mom about it last night and she was like "What!? A doll? Dolls are stupid. It's just a fad, you'll put it on your shelf and forget about it. It's not even going to be worth anything." That's almost word for word. But! I'm going to dive into my savings from over the years of $250+, and get as many babysitting jobs as I can

This is the one that when I saw it, I literally had tears in my eyes. :valentine
Page 2 of 45