Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 29th Nov 2008 at 4:05 PM
^^^ thanks so much...why didn't i think of that :P
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 29th Nov 2008 at 4:09 PM
Hey...thanks to queenofrad i was able to make the original 18 kids again like i wanted to...if you already read the challenge there is 3 more children (babies actually)

have fun, this creates real mayhem!!!
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 29th Nov 2008 at 5:48 PM
i'm having a go at this. wish me luck. :D
Forum Resident
#29 Old 30th Nov 2008 at 5:38 PM
Sounds interesting. I'm game. I haven't used the L/D tombstone before, so that would be new. I have one main question on the end of the challenge and a few questions on the scoring:

The challenge ends when all kids are grown and gone. Two are allowed to stay as there can be four adults. Each week a new orphan can be spawned. So, must the spawning end when the original adults die of old age or can the other adults continue to spawn new orphans once a week? Is the elixor of life reward allowed to be used? If it is allowed, is there a limit on how many times it can be used? I could see this as a never-ending challenge.

+75 for each sim who stays after growing to an adult - is that until the end of the challenge or is there a different time limit on that? Can that adult later move out at a certain time to be replaced by another orphan who ages to adult? Would this bonus only be given 2-3 times (as a teen could age to an adult after one of the original adult dies) or, if allowed to move out the adult orphan and replace with another, could this bonus be available whenever any teen aged to adult and met the criteria by simply moving out the previously aged orphan? (I hope that makes sense to you.)

Are the bonuses for skills available only once per age or if someone maxes more than one skill at an age do they get the points for each skill maxed? For example, if one child maxes two skills as a child, would that be +15 or +30?

+10 for an adult maxing cooking and cleaning and +5 for any other skill maxed - does that mean the cooking and cleaning skills must be maxed first to earn points for other skills later or can one max logic, for instance, without any cooking or cleaning and still get 5 points? Also, do they have to max both cooking and cleaning to get the 10 points or can they get 5 points for maxing either one?

I just want to completely understand and see the big picture before I dwelve too deeply. I will be starting this soon. Thanks.
Test Subject
#30 Old 30th Nov 2008 at 6:49 PM
Good questions Ciane, i should have been more specific, it could end up being an endless challenge
Here's the answers...
When both original adults die, you may not spawn any more children...but you may continue to play until all your children are gone.

The may use any aspiration rewards or career rewards as much as you want, EXCEPT, the elixer of life may only be used by an adult other than the original two.

An extra adult may move out if you wish, and can be replaced by another teenager growing up. Also, if one of your two originals dies and the other is left you may replace them with another adult. But the game will still end when the other dies. (but i will be adding negative points for adults that stay then move out along with detailed rules of how logn and how it counts...look about for edited rules)

each skilled that is maxed is + points...so yes if a child maxes out cooking then logic it would be +30
if an adult or higher maxes out cooking then logic then charisma then it would be +20

skills can be maxed in any order...such as an adult maxing out cooking logic cleaning then creativity...that would be a total of 30 points...i believe i said cooking/cleaning skill...which means either or can be maxed out in any order

hope that answers all of your questions, i'll be sure to add those rules to the original post as well to make it clear to future participants

thanks for the interest, keep the questions and pictures coming!!
Test Subject
#31 Old 30th Nov 2008 at 6:55 PM
PLEASE TAKE NOTE TO THE NEW CHANGES

These new changes can be seen in bold in the original post, please take notice of them. Thanks!
Forum Resident
#32 Old 1st Dec 2008 at 9:15 PM
Default The Orphans Arrive
So the +10 is for maxing either cooking or cleaning and thus a double bonus? If a sim only maxes cooking, he or she gets +10. If a sim maxes both cooking and cleaning, the points earned are +20?

Also, I wondered if the new spawned orphan could be a teen, child, tot, or baby. Is it totally my choice?

And, I messed up already and spawned four toddlers before I remembered that I didn't need three of both sexes. I don't want to start all over and build the house again and spawn new kids. Is it okay for me to play with four toddlers and two babies this time? I think it will actually be more challenging to have four toddlers rather than only three and the babes will be toddlers in a day anyway, so then I'll have six toddlers.

Thanks for answering so quickly. I didn't realize how many kids this would be. Though I knew it was 18, seeing them all in one spot really is amazing.

The first day
Test Subject
#33 Old 1st Dec 2008 at 9:24 PM
Ciane

both cooking and cleaning is +20, youre right
and thats ok that you messed up a bit with the kids, it will still end up being 6 toddlers, so thats ok i guess
and you may only spawn a new tot/child/teen ... NO BABIES

i know seeing them all is crazy

thanks for the pic!
Forum Resident
#34 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 4:16 AM
Default Monday Monday - the first day is always the hardest
I think it's good that I did mess up because you can't rename the babies until they are toddlers. Putting baby boy and baby girl in a crib could be a problem with two of one sex. They might put down the baby they are holding to pick up the other baby of the same sex.

So far I got the teens all jobs and sent them off to work. Only half have the needed points for promotion. The other three are all in platinum moods, but without the required skills.

The adult male actually found his LFW career in law. He is a fortune sim, so that works well. The female adult will stay home. She is a popularity sim, so again that works well.

The house is very compact. There isn't much money. There was enough for cheap beds and tubs all around though, and I got two privacy toilets for each gender. Then, I swapped two privacy toilets for regular ones because they wouldn't empty the potty chair in the privacy ones.

So far it is going okay, but tracking the wants of 20 sims is extremely challenging. Two of each gender age must be friends by tonight so that they can share a double bed. So far all the boy children are friends, but most want to make friends with the other sex.

I included another picture. This one shows the sims in action. The two babies are in their cribs.

P.S. I stuck the original couple in the same bedroom. As they are opposite sex should I divide that room into two or is it okay for them to share a bedroom? (Their room is the one at the back with the baby cribs.)

New news: The toddlers can all talk and walk now. The boys are potty trained, and the girls will be next time they need to go. Tomorrow I think I can grow up the babies to toddlers. (Not in real life, but in sim time.)

It takes me a couple days to play one sim day with all these sims. I shudder to think of how hard it will be to get all the sims on the bus in the morning. I haven't played for 24 sim hours yet. I put them to bed and quit for the night.

Hopefully it will be easier to play a school and work day, though one adult and six little ones will be difficult. I plan on getting the girls potty trained before the teens go to school in the morning. That will help anyway.

The toddlers have a problem with blank wants. It's associated with the tombstone spawning, but it doesn't affect the others. I have locked in the want to grow up well and all the other wants are blank. I hope something spins in when they wake up. Three of the toddlers did want to be tickled, snuggled, and read to; but I guess I got the other one up too early and nothing spun in. So I have three tots in gold and one in green right now.

None of the teens were promoted as they don't have any outside friends yet. I forgot they needed a friend. I like that they need one, as they will keep wanting to make a friend until they get an outside friend. So they are racking up some reward points making friends with the other 19 sims.

Tuesday
Forum Resident
#35 Old 4th Dec 2008 at 4:13 AM
Default Tuesday's saga
The babes grew up to tots today.

I would have loved to wait another day, but I said that I would grow them up in a day. The babes now have names and are trained in everything, except one hasn't learned to talk yet. I didn't remember to throw them a party, but they did get birthday cake.

The children all learned to do homework and at this time 2/3 of the teens have also learned to do their homework. Owen and Olivia were really tired after teaching the toddlers their skills, but hopefully they will get the other two helped in the morning before school. Owen will call in sick.

Olivia had no problems taking care of all six little ones on Tuesday by herself. The tots were all up when everyone left for school and she was putting them to bed when the teens came home.

There has been enough money with all teens working and Owen's job. I still haven't had them make friends outside the family as they have so many inside the family that they aren't friends with yet. So no one will be getting a bonus and promotion anytime soon.

Wednesday
Scholar
#36 Old 4th Dec 2008 at 6:03 AM
OH! I love overcrowded houses! They are so much fun to try and manage. I've successfully done 6 babies, few toddlers, kids and teens at once in the same house with two sets of parents. One pair of adults will be great fun. LOL.
I can't wait to get started.
I have only two starter questions:
1. By gone, do you mean the children grow up and go to college and move out, or do we play them til they die as well?
2. For family friends, do you mean the family friend amount listed on the job description chart for adults, or do we add up each person's friend count in their relationship chart? Just want to tally the points right when the time comes.
I'll keep you posted on my progress.

1st Place : Superb Sibling, Hearts Consume the Stars Contests
2nd place : Daddy N Me Cycle 2 Alien Edition, Sims Real Estate Contests
3rd Place : World Zombie Model Agency Contest
4th Placce : Aspiration N Me, Maxis Makeover Home Edition, My Girl, Stages of Life, SRE Cycle 2 Contests
Test Subject
#37 Old 4th Dec 2008 at 11:09 PM
Deatherella

to answer your questions

the teens will grow up and they must leave or they may stay if they meet the criteria...please see the rules in the first post...it tells under what circumstances an adult may stay in the house hold
Quote:
-Once a teen grows up they can move out (or go to college, but it doesn’t count for points since not everyone has University) or stay in the household
-A new adult can only stay in the household if they are at least best friends with two of the adult workers and friends with 4 or more of the orphans
-You may not have more than 4 adults living in the orphanage at a time
-If there are 3 or 4 adults, only one is required to be unemployed and stay home with the children (all others can work)

family friends are how many friends the house hold has once the last baby is grown up and gone...so you could have quite a few...since all your children *whom you were probably firneds with* have moved out

have fun with the challenge...remember to psot pics!
Test Subject
#38 Old 4th Dec 2008 at 11:15 PM
Ciane
I'm glad to see the challenge is coming along nicely!

But you can rename babies...you just have to make them selectable also using the boolprop cheat
In my game you have to hit the selectable cheat button twice...but that might just be mine.
But it can be done! LOL

Looking forward to your next update!
Scholar
#39 Old 5th Dec 2008 at 6:47 PM
Flutie, I meant do we keep playing the kids the grow up and leave until they die even after they move out, or does the point system only count in the original lot?
Oh. So I do the boolprop cheatsenabled again to name the babies? I tried over and over again, and I could never get them selected. I knew I was missing something.
Ciane, did your babies all come out looking vaguely like the person you used to spawn them? Mine all have my man's eyes.
My house has gone nuts with all those people. I, too, quit about the time to send them all to bed. My pc was thoroughly dogging out after having it in build mode for so long.
Will have some pics and stories about those freaks probably later today.

4th Placce : Aspiration N Me, Maxis Makeover Home Edition, My Girl, Stages of Life, SRE Cycle 2 Contests
Scholar
#40 Old 6th Dec 2008 at 7:17 AM
Default Sassenach Sanctuary - Welcoming World Waifs
Meet the Fahrquarson's!

Ree Frasier will be the first to tell you that ACDC lied while singing that fat-bottomed girls make the world go round. The world doesn't revolve around big-bottomed girls -- it orbits away from them. Then she caught the eye of the boy with strange eyes . . . and pale skin . . . Soon, Ree and Fahrquar Fahrquarson were head over heels in love. But her family wanted her to marry the neighbor boy and join their lands. So what if he moo-ed everytime she walked past him?
They felt just like Romeo and Juliet, but were determined to find a happily-ever-after for themselves. The lovebirds ran away to Simtna Green and stood before the blacksmith.
They spent their evenings sharing their hopes and dreams.
One drunken night the truth came out . . . Fahrquar was a little impaired since his family spent years living in a cardboard box under a high voltage power line and tripled by that, there was that bad batch of Grandda's home brew and that "disfiguring scar" (if you know what I mean) from that wild boar hunt back in '05.
On the other side of the coin: In a moment of desperation to lose weight, Ree had gone to a backstreet butcher to get her stomach stapled, only it wasn't her stomach that got stapled.
Alas. How would they have a family?
In a moment of inebriated idiocy, an idea was hatched. They would take in all the homeless waifs in Simland. They bribed a town official and got their grant, bought the cheapest dump in town, nevermind it's next to the cemetary, and opened the doors to all those children they couldn't wait to love.

Welcome to Sassenach Sanctuary. But, in Pleasantville, who are the true Sassenachs?

Group Shot:

L-R sitting on ground in front, we have: Kana Thompson (girl), toddlers: Yoosung Almassizedah, Daisy Lee, Joe Shaw, and little Miss Elise Fuchs.
Behind them L-R, standing on the side of the bench is Dante Bruenig, sitting are Knut Andersen (that child is obviously not a Swede!), Conrad McClellan and Darren Despret. Standing on the right end making faces at the camera is Whitney Davison.
Directly behind the bench L-R are Mehrissa Suwankiri holding Gothika B'Havur, Jay Roennigke (arms-crossed teen boy) and Willow Lee. Willow tells us that her and her "sister" Daisy were orphaned when their parents died of old age. Yep, right, Willow.
L-R in back, Ree holding Disturbia B'Havur, Lyndsay Akagi, Nathen Towner and last but not least, Fahrquar holding Erratica B'Havur.

While spawning kidlets . . .

See the pic center right? I just thought that looked so creeeeeeeepy. Babies popping up at a tombstone and even a townie comes to stare at them.
All the babies have Fahrquar's eyes. Wierd, huh? And then look at that poor little baby I move-object on'd out of the grass so I could make a house. When I went to collect them back into the yard, I saw his head was in the pavement. Poor tyke, must have gotten run over by the garbage truck.

The whole crew got right down to the business of getting to know eachother, making buddies and having a good time without me having to tell them to. They were having so much fun, Ree wouldn't stop playing catch to go serve up some gelatin for the kiddies.
She wouldn't move her bum when
I told her to hit the potty either --
She's setting a fine example the tots to follow, now , isn't she?

Do not Joe and Yoosung look amazingly alike? And what's with the pink pj's??? Ree or Fahrquar better hit up the local church charity for some boy clothes. I'm scared to see what they wear after a bath. Good thing Fahrquar got a job starting tomorrow afternoon. Most of the kids need a trip over to Goodwill for some threads. Oh, wait, that'll have to wait until we get a few more beds. I ran out of coinage parking 1-Simolean beds upstairs. Only have three cribs. Ooops.

Evening finally came, half the peeps went about picking up the mess. In this pic you can see that the babies almost never got dumped on the floor. After I traded two of the community showers for cribs, the little ones got parked properly. I hardly ever had to tell my Sims to cater to the infants or toddlers. Nice that.

In the bottom pic, you can see some of them boning up on their household skills. Fahrquar seems to prefer playing with the kids. I guess we'll let him since he's gotta start supporting the whole brood tomorrow.

Last pic --

Nothing like having the children befriending the spooky-eyed dog. He really likes Elise. I thought he was going to bite Mehrissa but then he decided he liked her just fine once she started tossing sticks around.

I think I managed around 50 pts for the first day. Not sure, not all of them are in bed yet since I ran out of coin before I had enough furnishings to go around. I can't wait to send them off to school in the morning so Ree can do some serious childrearing. Maybe I can get some pottychairs as soon as the bread-winner comes home from the grindmill.

Good luck to all.

Monday edit -- I was wrong, you guys, I didn't get around 50 pts cuz I was thinking in terms of per skill point not maxing out. No one maxed out anything as of yet. It may never happen at the rate they're going now.

All Week 1 pics can be found at: http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/...lenge/Week%201/

Forum Resident
#41 Old 6th Dec 2008 at 11:34 PM
Default Wednesday
Great update and pictures Deatherella. I had never tried to make a baby selectable before, so now I know to try twice. I'll put in some pictures after I upload a few to photobucket.

I did manage to help the last two teens with their homework in the morning before they had to catch the bus. (The bus was outside waiting though.)

Most the kids and teens and the two adults needed fun by the time the school bus dropped them off again. I spent the whole night having them play red hands with someone they were already or almost friends with.

The tots can grow up, but I am letting then get more skills. There is no way they will max a skill, though I have had tots max a skill before playing with seven babies. I guess I spent too much time making friends with them. Oh well...

It's Wednesday night/early Thursday morning at the orphanage now. All kids have made the bus two days in a row and the working adult called in sick this day, so he must get to work tomorrow. I left them getting the tots back up from naps. The children had all finished their homework, but most the teens had yet to do theirs.

They haven't paid the bills yet. They have two bathrooms for each gender and a toilet and potty chair in each nursery (again one for each gender). I left room to add two more bathrooms for each gender when they get enough money.

Thursday's Thrills
Test Subject
#42 Old 7th Dec 2008 at 10:29 PM
great updates guys!
Thanks for the pics

I'm playing the challenge along with you guys...I don't have pics right now, but i'll be sure to post some later

I've only got 1 bedroom for the boys, one for the girls...the adults are sharing with the kids right now...lol

also i have 2 nurseries...one for the babies and one for the toddlers
i have 2 bathrooms with public toilet stalls and individual shower rooms
my house is also two stories...it took me 4 staircases to eliminate chaos...lol
luckily my staircases only cost $70 each and all my flooring and walls were $0...custom content works wonders :D

keep the updates coming
Forum Resident
#43 Old 7th Dec 2008 at 10:59 PM
I wanted a room for the teens and a separate one for the children. I thought about a second floor for the bedrooms; but I like to see what's going on, so I usually play just a single floor. Also, you probably noticed I don't have much cc. (I try to help my computer play the sims by just having the minimal additions.) So one floor was all I could afford for right now any way. It has room to add space as the little ones grow up and new foundlings make their way to the orphanage though.

I got rid of the privacy toilets entirely. It is a hassle for sloppy sims to go back in and flush or clean it, and forget emptying a potty chair in one! Ah well...

I look forward to more updates and pics from you all.
Field Researcher
#44 Old 7th Dec 2008 at 11:14 PM
I made the family and the house. I was able to make it to where the child girls, child boys, teenage boy, teenage girls, toddlers (all girl) and babies (all boy) each have a room. There were seven bedrooms total with the parents. 3 beds/cribs in each and that is it, except the nurseries have a changing table and 3 toys and a potty chair. I also made 2 homework rooms. It was all on one floor. I haven't actually played though. The character icons (or whatever) takes up half the screen, LOL.
#45 Old 8th Dec 2008 at 12:07 AM
Starting my orphanage right now
Forum Resident
#46 Old 8th Dec 2008 at 2:14 AM
Yeah, seeing all the homework on the entry floor is quite overwhelming and it will get worse when the toddlers age to children. I have a big open entry and they put their homework down in nice rows in front of the doors.

I only use the changing table when I have babes, so that was already sold back to buy another tub. I only started with two tubs: one for each gender.

Yeah, I'm not use to all those sims on the left and when more foundlings appear, it will be crazy!

It's great to see more people playing the challenge. I hope you update with stories and pics soon.
Test Subject
#47 Old 8th Dec 2008 at 4:30 AM
Yay more challengees!
I hope you'll post pics.

yea a second story can be tricky but all i have on it right now is kitchen/dining area and the toddlers bedroom...it helps keep them out of the toilets lol
i have 3 dining tables so it can be quite a mess after meals...:D
Scholar
#48 Old 8th Dec 2008 at 4:41 AM
I'm kind of afraid to try this one. I get irritated enough when just one sim whines and waves at me, and I can't imagine an overcrowded house like that all doing it.

I'll probably give this one a try, though; it sounds like fun!

.:Kitty Klan:.
Visit for Sims 3 Hair, Tattoos, and other free custom content downloads.

.For website updates, subscribe to my RSS feed at.
Dreamwidth Blog
Test Subject
#49 Old 8th Dec 2008 at 4:44 AM
^^^ i hope you do try it...it can be very challenging...especially keeping the working adults happy when it comes to taking care of the todlers

Good luck
Instructor
#50 Old 8th Dec 2008 at 6:11 AM
This is really interesting but I had one question how do you get more then 8 into a simhousehold?
Page 2 of 19