Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 1:18 AM Last edited by amjoie : 28th Apr 2008 at 6:48 AM.
Project Complete! -- Objects submitted to MTSi2 > Thank you Havelock! > was: Sorta "solution" BUT shuffle pieces still blue > was: Game Pieces Invisible > was: Solved error problem BUT game pieces won't take a recolor > was t
See post #31 for the solution, thanks to Havelock!

See post #14 for sorta solution to main game pieces, and ongoing blue shuffle problem (new rars posted) and post #15 for a preview of what will be available once the problem is solved.

See post #13 for new problem and new rars of object and accessory clones ...

See post #9 for solution of the error below, and the new problem.

I am attaching a clone package of the mahjong table and a jpg of the error I am getting on it, in the game. If I leave the clone as an override file (before I get any guids), it works fine. But as soon as I get all the guids for it, the error pops up. It doesn't matter whether I have cloned a stand-alone object or have the stand-alone box unchecked before cloning. I've tried three different packages with slightly different things checked or unchecked when cloning, and I still get the error.

I am working in Bon Voyage on my PC (so I can use everything in my Mac BV game), using SimPE 0.66.2.38582.

So, what did I do wrong?

For every King, there is a Queen ...

http://www.modthesims2.com/member.php?u=25203
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 9:16 AM
I guess it's one of those objects that refers to parts of itself by GUID when Sims interact with it. You need to go through all the locals and semiglobals and change any GUID reference to refer to the appropriate new GUID - importing semiglobals where necessary.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 5:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I guess it's one of those objects that refers to parts of itself by GUID when Sims interact with it. You need to go through all the locals and semiglobals and change any GUID reference to refer to the appropriate new GUID - importing semiglobals where necessary.

Thank you, Inge.

Can you refer me to a tutorial on how to do that? I'm not positive I know where to find the locals and semiglobals. This is a bit of treading in deep waters, for me. I won't sink without a fight, but .... LOL

#4 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 6:16 PM
I am not all that familiar with exactly what tutorials there are, but you can bet they're all on MTS2 somewhere if they exist :D

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#5 Old 29th Mar 2008 at 12:41 AM
Alchemist
#6 Old 29th Mar 2008 at 1:22 AM
Hey, Inge...
You closed fffss.org, but you still have a link to it in your signature.
Unless this has been a test.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Mar 2008 at 4:29 AM
Thank you Echo! That was exactly what I needed.

Now I'm off to try the tutorial and break ... er ... FIX a mahjong table. LOL

#8 Old 29th Mar 2008 at 9:04 AM
Wes you're only the second person to notice it closed - you can see why it got closed lol :D

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 2:03 AM
I found the problem.
I found the problem in the Mahjong Table, fixed it, and my new clone with its own guids now works beautifully in my game. Here is where the stinkers were found:

init neighbor tiles BHAV (fourth from the bottom of the list)

These need changing to the new guid:

Table - Mahjong - 1.0 - P4 -N
orig guid 0x12FC180F (change to your new guid)

Table - Mahjong - 1.2 - P2 -S
orig guid 0x52FC180D (change to your new guid)

Table - Mahjong - 2.1 - P3 - E
orig guid 0x12FC1808 (change to your new guid)

Table - Mahjong - 0.1 - P1 - W
orig guid 0x52FC180A (change to your new guid)

But now I have a new problem. The recolored game pieces are still showing up the EAxis blue instead of the gold/purple I recolored them (see attached pic). The blue looks awful on my fancy Mahjong table. How do I get the recolored game pieces to show up?
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  amjoienewguidstandalonemahjongtable.rar (267.5 KB, 10 downloads) - View custom content

Lab Assistant
#10 Old 10th Apr 2008 at 4:13 PM Last edited by Havelock : 10th Apr 2008 at 8:15 PM.
I looked into it there are three Accessory-MahjongTiles they are linked to the texture from the existing Mahjong Table so you have to clone them all or live with the Blue ones.

You could find them under unknown / Accessory-Mahjong Tile, Accessory-Mahjong Tiles-Communal and Accessory-Mahjong Tiles-Player
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#11 Old 12th Apr 2008 at 12:54 PM
Yep, what he said.

When the table needs mahjong tiles, it creates a brand new object (like the "Accessory-Mahjong Tile" object) on top of the table. It doesn't matter whether it's the original table or a clone, it'll still be creating the same tiles since it's using the same GUID.

If you want to swap them out for a different set of tiles, you'll need to make a clone of those tiles and change the texture on that clone. Then you need to go through the table BHAVs and swap the old tile GUIDs for the new tile GUIDs.

Does that make sense?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 17th Apr 2008 at 2:07 AM
Wow! Thanks, guys, for looking into this. I had all but given up hope. I would never have imagined an object could be calling to something outside of itself ...

I'll try this out, and write back if I run into trouble.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 17th Apr 2008 at 9:00 PM Last edited by amjoie : 17th Apr 2008 at 9:09 PM.
Default Still need more help ...
I cloned the three accessories. Then I found these BHAVs that needed changing, which I did.

accessory Mahjong Tile old 0xF302B601 new 0x002E9F4B
EVENT PICKUP TILES
EVENT TOSS OUT TILE

accessory Mahjong Tile Communal old 0x3302D245 new 0x002E9F4C
FUNCTION MAIN
FUNCTION PREVENT PLACE IN SLOT

accessory Mahjong Tile Player old 0x9302D25F new 0x002E9F4D
FUNCTION PREVENT PLACE IN SLOT
EVENT SETUP TILES

I recolored the game pieces to be more neutral gold, so they can be used by any color Mahjong Table, and redid the images in all four clones. But something is still not right. Sigh. The main game pieces (found in the communal accessory) are invisible. Smaller pieces are still blue. Shuffle pieces are blue. See attached pics.

When changing the guids, I found some numbers to the right of the normal numbers that are a mystery to me. I tried changing them to zeros, and that didn't work -- so I went to a backup and left them what they originally were, when changing the rest of the guid, and that did not work. I have pics of the mystery numbers in a rar so you can see what I mean.

I also have pics of two guids that do not seem to apply. One is for satisfying wants, and the other is an unknown and may be the problem, but I am clueless how to determine what it is for and where to find it.

I've come this far -- I'd *really* like to get this to work. I think I need someone to work on this with me, until it actually functions correctly. I am waaaay over my head, here. LOL

--all clones attached in rar below--
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  mahjongrars.rar (1.10 MB, 6 downloads) - View custom content

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 18th Apr 2008 at 3:21 PM Last edited by amjoie : 18th Apr 2008 at 3:30 PM.
Default Sorta solution ...
It's amazing what a good nights sleep will do.

A little light went off in my brain this morning. It's not like I am in love with the original blue color of the game pieces -- so why not just clone overwriting accessory pieces, in the colors I want. Ta Dah!

It worked. Sorta.

I'm still missing something. The game pieces are the right color and the table works and looks great. BUT, the game pieces during the shuffle are still *blue.* So where are they getting their coloring??? What else still needs cloning or reguiding?

I am attaching the overwriting accessory clones, and the mahjong table that uses them in a rar below. Would someone please look into this and see if we can find the cause of the blue shuffling? I'm so close now to a perfect table that I can taste it. LOL
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  mahjongtableoverwritingaccessories.rar (530.4 KB, 10 downloads) - View custom content

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 18th Apr 2008 at 8:10 PM
As an "act of faith" that the blue shuffle problem can be solved, with the help of some kind and knowledgeable modder on this site, I have cloned and recolored a green, blue, and cream mahjong table to go along with the red one. I've also made matching chairs for each color. See pics.

As soon as the blue shuffle problem is solved, I'll make these available on MTSi2 with the overwriting accessory files, because the original table looks fine with the gold game pieces (I think it's an improvement over the blue, actually).

But if someone wants to help me fix the accessory files with new guids, as well as helping me solve the blue shuffle problem, I would be glad to make the tables available with their own accessory files.

Waiting in the happy anticipation of getting the last problem solved and finishing my little project ....
Screenshots

Lab Assistant
#16 Old 19th Apr 2008 at 3:24 PM
I feel sorry for having only sad news. But the Tiles used for shuffle and loose reaktion are effects not animations so we are out of luck to edit them to take the golden tiles texture.

But i have cleared your table and accessorys packages they are mutch smaller now.
If you not make a custom animation there is no need to clone them.
The Tile and Table shadows are the same as the ingame ones so you could use them for your table. Added zip as Attachement.

And i have made a smaller chair texture witch looks good but is in DXT3 format, it was 685 KB and is now 78,6KB. The package is called amjoiemahjongmingchairredgold1.package use it if you like it.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  MTS2_amjoie_747879_mahjongtableoverwritingaccessories.rar (327.6 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 20th Apr 2008 at 12:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Havelock
I feel sorry for having only sad news. But the Tiles used for shuffle and loose reaktion are effects not animations so we are out of luck to edit them to take the golden tiles texture.

But i have cleared your table and accessorys packages they are mutch smaller now.
If you not make a custom animation there is no need to clone them.
The Tile and Table shadows are the same as the ingame ones so you could use them for your table. Added zip as Attachement.

And i have made a smaller chair texture witch looks good but is in DXT3 format, it was 685 KB and is now 78,6KB. The package is called amjoiemahjongmingchairredgold1.package use it if you like it.

Havelock, thank you so much for all you have done -- I really appreciate it!

And if that's the worst "sad news" I hear today, then things must be going really good for me. No worries. :D

[If no one else could change the blue shuffle, either, then I won't feel bad that I cannot. It will just have to be overlooked, as is true about many other things. If we can't change them, we just smile and go on with life. ]

But now I have to ask exactly what you did to the packages, because I still have the green, blue, and cream table and chair sets, and I am assuming I should do it to them, also? I have no idea what you mean when you say you "cleared" the packages. Can you tell me what steps you went through, and if it is something I could do to the other tables and chairs, myself?

What do you mean when you say I wouldn't have to clone? I tried to recolor, but there was no option to do a recolor. Cloning was the only way I could get a texture to show up in the package file, so that I could change it. I'm not sure what you mean about the tile and table shadows. Please explain.

You said a zip was attached, but I only see the rar attached to your post. Was there supposed to be a zip file, too? No zip file was included inside the rar. Did you say "zip" generically, meaning either zip or rar?

In my FT approved version of SimPE, the "build DXT" option is grayed out when I right click on the texture image. I thought that function had been discontinued. How did you make a DXT3 file? I would like to work with the original file of the chair, because the one in the package that you fixed had already lost quality. If I can make my own DXT3 file from the original before it lost quality, that would be better. And I still have the other chairs to do. So please explain how I can get SimPE to allow me to build DXT3.

I apologize for my lack of understanding. I know that someone attempting to do such a difficult object should already have a good background in cloning and recoloring. But I'm afraid I do not. Previously, I have only done very simple recoloring with the wizard, and a few other easy recolors in SimPE itself, when the wizard could not be used; plus a few simple clones when I had no other option. I am not well-versed in SimPE. I am just "learning as I go." And I have never attempted doing a mesh. So most of what you are saying to me is probably a bit beyond my understanding, without a more detailed explanation.

But I am willing to learn ...

Lab Assistant
#18 Old 20th Apr 2008 at 9:10 AM Last edited by Havelock : 20th Apr 2008 at 9:21 AM.
Sorry my bad i meant a rar file is attached.

When you clone a Object it is not needed to pull animations was meant. The game has the animations your clone can use them.
If you look in the cleaned accessorys you may see in Shape i have linked to the table txmt because the tiles could use them, you wont have to include the texture to every package.

The groundshadows exist in game, you have not made different ones so i linked to the ingame ones and removed txmts and textures.

For compress textures you would need the NVIDIA DDS Utilities you could get them here : http://developer.nvidia.com/object/...ture_tools.html

After you have installed them you have SimPE to tell where to find them and you get mutch better textures when importing.

I have used a original texture and recolored it new to look similar as yours, so the texture in my package should be good have you looked at the recolor in Game ?

Open the packages i put into the rar file and look whats different to yours. I have removed not needed TXMTs and textures, updatet links in Shape and updatet the textlists for animations to have the animation names from the game not the cloned ones.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 21st Apr 2008 at 1:18 AM
Sorry my bad i meant a rar file is attached.

When you clone a Object it is not needed to pull animations was meant. The game has the animations your clone can use them.
If you look in the cleaned accessorys you may see in Shape i have linked to the table txmt because the tiles could use them, you wont have to include the texture to every package.

The groundshadows exist in game, you have not made different ones so i linked to the ingame ones and removed txmts and textures.

For compress textures you would need the NVIDIA DDS Utilities you could get them here : http://developer.nvidia.com/object/...ture_tools.html

After you have installed them you have SimPE to tell where to find them and you get mutch better textures when importing.

I have used a original texture and recolored it new to look similar as yours, so the texture in my package should be good have you looked at the recolor in Game ?

Open the packages i put into the rar file and look whats different to yours. I have removed not needed TXMTs and textures, updatet links in Shape and updatet the textlists for animations to have the animation names from the game not the cloned ones.

Now that you mention it, I remember that I had the DDS utilities installed on my old computer. I had forgotten to install them on my new computer. Thank you so much for reminding me. I got the download, and I'll be able to fix the textures on all my recent recolors and clones.

And thank you for the more detailed explanation. I'll go examine the differences between the packages you fixed and the ones I did, to see if I can understand what you are saying. It isn't easy for me to understand when just reading about it, but I am hoping once I have the packages open that it will become clear.

Lab Assistant
#20 Old 21st Apr 2008 at 10:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by amjoie
And thank you for the more detailed explanation. I'll go examine the differences between the packages you fixed and the ones I did, to see if I can understand what you are saying. It isn't easy for me to understand when just reading about it, but I am hoping once I have the packages open that it will become clear.

Its even harder to explain something tech if your native language is not english.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 21st Apr 2008 at 7:29 PM Last edited by amjoie : 22nd Apr 2008 at 12:37 AM.
Its even harder to explain something tech if your native language is not english.

Your English is great. The problem is that "Tech" is not my native language. It's not even my second language. In fact, after trying to follow your explanation, I think I can't speak it at all. LOL

I'm floundering, here. I don't know exactly where to look or exactly what to compare.

In the mahjong table package, this is what I see different in shapes:

Under Shapes 1 > parts > groundshadow -- I changed my material definition file to say "tablemahjong_groundshadow_alpha" without the quotes. Is that right? Is that all, or is there more I would need to do?

Under text, there are four anim files that I see: Anims - Object - Adult; Anims - Child; Anims - Adult; and Anims - Object - Child. If I extract those four text files that you changed and then replace them in my package with the ones I extracted, would that be sufficient? Is that all I would need to do?

Is there anything else that needs changing in the table package?

If I am thinking correctly, once I have made the changes above in each of my table packages, then all I need to do is use the accessory packages you fixed, for all tables I have made, by including your set of three accessory packages with the table downloads. (I will, of course, credit you and the others who have helped me, in this thread, when offering the downloads.)

Am I missing anything?

Lab Assistant
#22 Old 22nd Apr 2008 at 10:39 AM
In the mahjong table package, this is what I see different in shapes:

Under Shapes 1 > parts > groundshadow -- I changed my material definition file to say "tablemahjong_groundshadow_alpha" without the quotes. Is that right? Is that all, or is there more I would need to do?

Yes correct but dont forget to remove the after that useless Material definition and Textures.

Under text, there are four anim files that I see: Anims - Object - Adult; Anims - Child; Anims - Adult; and Anims - Object - Child. If I extract those four text files that you changed and then replace them in my package with the ones I extracted, would that be sufficient? Is that all I would need to do?

Yes i forgot to tell you to make it this way.

Is there anything else that needs changing in the table package?

If I am thinking correctly, once I have made the changes above in each of my table packages, then all I need to do is use the accessory packages you fixed, for all tables I have made, by including your set of three accessory packages with the table downloads. (I will, of course, credit you and the others who have helped me, in this thread, when offering the downloads.)

The Accessory is linked to the first Tables Texture and Material definition.
If each Table has the same guids you have to link in the accessorys shape each Accessory to the table Material definition it is used with.

Hope it helps.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 22nd Apr 2008 at 3:22 PM Last edited by amjoie : 23rd Apr 2008 at 1:22 AM.
Yes correct but dont forget to remove the after that useless Material definition and Textures.

OK. I deleted two things in the texture window -- the poker hand texture, and a shadow texture. In material definitions, I deleted three things -- everything except surface_txmt. Is that right?

The Accessory is linked to the first Tables Texture and Material definition.
If each Table has the same guids you have to link in the accessorys shape each Accessory to the table Material definition it is used with.

This I do not understand. When I cloned the accessories, they were overwriting clones. So whatever they were linked to on the original table, is still the same thing they are linked to in all my table clones (but each table clone has its own unique guids assigned, though, and each table is different one from one another). However, the accessories' guids are still the same as the original -- I didn't get new guids for any of the accessories. I never changed anything in my table clones regarding the accessories or how they are linked. And I didn't change anything in the accessories regarding my table clones and how they are linked. So shouldn't everything still be automatically linked to each other?

Aren't the three accessories you cleaned up still overwriting accessories?

Did you change something regarding how the accessories are linked to the tables? If so, you will have to tell me exactly what you changed. Please don't just say "texture and material definitions" because there is more than one thing, and I confess I am a bit bewildered. You'll have to give me the exact string name, like with "tablemahjong_xxx_surface_txmt" do this and this; or with accessorymahjongtile-xxx_root_rot_shpe" do this and this, so I can find the exact string and understand what you are saying has to happen with each item.

What I have done so far is a case of "monkey see -- monkey do." I am copying what you did, but I have no real understanding what it is I am doing or why I am doing it. Because I don't understand, I am having a bit of trouble following your logic on what else still needs to be done.

I'm also feeling a bit guilty asking you to give such a detailed explanation. But I'm so close to getting the packages finally fixed -- and having come this far, I'd really like to reach the finish line. :D

Lab Assistant
#24 Old 22nd Apr 2008 at 7:18 PM
OK. I deleted two things in the texture window -- the poker hand texture, and a shadow texture. In material definitions, I deleted three things -- everything except surface_txmt. Is that right?

Yes its right.

This I do not understand. When I cloned the accessories, they were overwriting clones. So whatever they were linked to on the original table, is still the same thing they are linked to in all my table clones (but each table clone has its own unique guids assigned, though, and each table is different one from one another).

I have made the accessorys use the Material definition and Texture from the amjoienewguidstandalonemahjongtable i have fixed, if you not change this the amjoienewguidstandalonemahjongtable would be needed to let the accessorys work with the clones. Otherwise you would get blue flashing accessorys.

However, the accessories' guids are still the same as the original -- I didn't get new guids for any of the accessories. I never changed anything in my table clones regarding the accessories or how they are linked. And I didn't change anything in the accessories regarding my table clones and how they are linked. So shouldn't everything still be automatically linked to each other?

Have all Cloned Tables the same color for the Tiles ? If not you could not have more than on Table at the same time this way.

To change the links in your cloned Accessorys open the Shape of each cloned Table, the name of the material definition is needed for the Accessorys to work with him.

Each Accessory has the Line "tablemahjong_surface" in his Shape.
Your first table has the Material definition name "##0x1C050000!tablemahjong-[amjoie-27.3.2008-b352a]_surface" i pasted this line in each Accessory.

You have to do this with your Clones also. Copy the Material Definition name of the Table Clone and past in the Accessorys Shape you would use with the cloned Table.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#25 Old 22nd Apr 2008 at 8:58 PM Last edited by amjoie : 22nd Apr 2008 at 10:25 PM.
I have made the accessorys use the Material definition and Texture from the amjoienewguidstandalonemahjongtable i have fixed, if you not change this the amjoienewguidstandalonemahjongtable would be needed to let the accessorys work with the clones. Otherwise you would get blue flashing accessorys.

Have all Cloned Tables the same color for the Tiles ? If not you could not have more than on Table at the same time this way.

To change the links in your cloned Accessorys open the Shape of each cloned Table, the name of the material definition is needed for the Accessorys to work with him.

Each Accessory has the Line "tablemahjong_surface" in his Shape.
Your first table has the Material definition name "##0x1C050000!tablemahjong-[amjoie-27.3.2008-b352a]_surface" i pasted this line in each Accessory.

You have to do this with your Clones also. Copy the Material Definition name of the Table Clone and past in the Accessorys Shape you would use with the cloned Table.

Yes, I wanted all the cloned tables to have the same gold game pieces, and to all use the same three accessories. I did not want to make accessories for each table -- I want them to share. That's why I didn't mind making the accessories overwriting. The way you have it, should I have assigned new guids to the accessories, and still have my clones share one set of accessories, but with a unique guid? Or is it designed to still be overwriting?

I have attached a pic of what I did, that I *think* is what you wanted me to do. Is this right?

edit: ... added another pic, done a different way which is probably what you wanted?

edit: LOL! Well, obviously I did something wrong when I saved everything, (doing it the second way that I tried, with the longer names) -- because when I removed the red table from the game, I got the blue flashies. The blue table was working before, when the red table was in the game. pic below

Soooo, what should I have done, instead of what I did?

edit: ... I tried something else, see in the pic below -- where I added the subset name. It didn't work. Sigh. I have no idea what to try next.

Are you frustrated, yet? My head is about to burst.
Screenshots

Page 1 of 2