Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#26 Old 18th Mar 2008 at 6:53 PM
Ok, I picked from the drop down list, I'm too lazy for typing 8007 13+ times. I say it didn't work because I placed that object (and ONLY that object) in the downloads folder of a BaseGame only AnyGame. Started the game and it crashed upon loading either the nieghborhood or the lot, can't remember. Little popup box saying "Application has crashed" then it killed the game and I was back at the desktop. Tried it a couple more times. Never got past the loading screen without a crash. Maybe I suck at convert 9's to 7's but I don't think so. I'll try it again though if you'all want me too. Recently found out that FreeTime made some of the functions not work in my SSN working object. That kinda ticked me off, its like I'm moving backwards.
Advertisement
Theorist
#27 Old 18th Mar 2008 at 8:46 PM
I suppose it could be something else that was causing the base game crash? Its hard to know when its a complete crash like that. For all of us, it is limited the amount of time we can put in and still have something to show for it. So I wouldn't presume to ask you to invest more time in troubleshooting an object that is otherwise working.

But if I were going to troubleshoot the object I think I would remove all those questionable BHAVs and then see what happens. If there was a green light on that then I would add just one of them and then test again.

Its seems to me, if I remember correctly, that even if you leave an 8009 module in your base game object it just causes a regular object error that goes to the log file rather than a complete game crash that leaves you in the dark. So it surprises me that the converted 8007 BHAVs would be so toxic to the base game. These drastic blowups are more typical of GMND errors - not to say that is the cause in this case.

In any event I'm going to continue to do the conversions the easy way until I see them actually fail for me. I'm perverse that way! (And also been wrong many, many times...)
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#28 Old 18th Mar 2008 at 9:42 PM
Well I suppose it's possible that the 8009 BHAV was making a call that is illegal in a 8007 BHAV? Not that I can think of any offhand, but maybe some BHAVs just shouldn't be changed to 8007s even if they can.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
retired moderator
Original Poster
#29 Old 19th Mar 2008 at 4:49 AM
If you all would like, I can post my 8009 Object and you can try changing them to 8007 and see if that crashes your game. I had pretty much scraped it and decided to clone a base game copy and start over. I know some of you like a good puzzle
Theorist
#30 Old 19th Mar 2008 at 6:22 AM
Yes, please do post it. Did it work OK in other game environments besides base game?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#31 Old 12th Dec 2008 at 10:58 PM
Picked up this project again and I'm pretty much still where I was. Object is posted here: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=310867
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#32 Old 13th Dec 2008 at 5:01 AM
Other things can cause an object to crash as well, including, for instance, use of OBJD formats that are incompatible (base game uses 0x8B, all others pre-AL use 0x8C, 0x8D definitely crashes everything pre-AL).

Also, Pie Menu format 0x54 is incompatible with base game, you must use format 0x4X. Use of newer formats in the older game = crash. SimPE, however, does not always make this issue apparent.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Page 2 of 2