Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Multicolored Party Lights

by nicvncnt Posted 13th Nov 2007 at 10:25 PM - Updated 22nd Oct 2008 at 4:41 PM by -Maylin-

41 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 37 Feedback Posts, 3 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Scholar
#2 Old 18th Nov 2007 at 8:57 AM
Oh, how cool is this? Wonderful idea! I feel the urge to throw a party now.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 18th Nov 2007 at 9:22 AM
Just checking cause I make typos like this all the time, but is it sinclude or is it supposed to be include? I put sinclude cause that's what you said but I'm just checking. I haven't played my game yet after dling it.

Really cool idea though!!
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#4 Old 18th Nov 2007 at 9:33 AM
Wow, very impressive!
Alchemist
#5 Old 18th Nov 2007 at 9:42 AM
I love your party lights.

Update: July 2009-I am back now to make invisible and tranparent recolors again in sims 2. You can pm me if you want your objects to be invisible and transparent from now.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 18th Nov 2007 at 10:44 AM
Wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing with us!

"I will gather my wounds forge the end of tragic comedy"
AM
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 18th Nov 2007 at 12:28 PM Last edited by psychosim0 : 18th Nov 2007 at 12:41 PM.
Very impressive! I like colored lights so much, they create such a nice atmosphere.

@tinkerbelljln: I took a look into other light files and it actually is "sinclude"
Moderator of pixels for pixels
retired moderator
#8 Old 18th Nov 2007 at 12:31 PM
I love this!! Thanks so much :D

Need to know which object came with which EP or SP? Check the CEP Object database
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 18th Nov 2007 at 1:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tinkerbelljln
is it sinclude or is it supposed to be include?

"sinclude" is correct
Test Subject
#10 Old 18th Nov 2007 at 2:08 PM
i dont have a lighting.txt
what do i do?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 18th Nov 2007 at 2:30 PM Last edited by nicvncnt : 18th Nov 2007 at 2:45 PM. Reason: Typo
Quote: Originally posted by toffee360
i dont have a lighting.txt
what do i do?

If you didn't have that file, you wouldn't be able to see anything in your game at all, as it's the base game lighting file which defines all the fundamental lighting states for the game.

Try highlighting the directory path text from my post, then copy and paste it into the location bar in Windows Explorer, that way you can be sure you're in the right folder.

Depending on how you've got your Windows folder view set up, it's possible that you have your preferences set to "hide extensions for known file types" in which case the lighting.txt file will simply appear as lighting
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 18th Nov 2007 at 3:09 PM
How cool! Thanks so much.
Instructor
#13 Old 18th Nov 2007 at 4:57 PM
Wow! These are wonderful. Thanks alot.

Sure. Fine. Whatever.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 18th Nov 2007 at 7:48 PM
Very cool! A new form of lighting is quite impressive!

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Test Subject
#15 Old 20th Nov 2007 at 6:14 AM
This is AMAZING!!! I can't wait to test it out
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 20th Nov 2007 at 6:09 PM
I have tested it with the latest Scriptorium it worked fine. Many thanks for this nice lights.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 29th Nov 2007 at 3:03 AM
These look sooo good. I love that I can light my yard without giving up floor space. I used the white ones to make a pretty wedding garden. Thank you again.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 29th Nov 2007 at 11:14 AM
i want to download these lights, but i have scriptorium installed and the lights.txt file says DO NOT add anything manually to the file or the scriptorium may delete it! what do i do?
The ModFather
retired moderator
#19 Old 29th Nov 2007 at 3:14 PM Last edited by Numenor : 29th Nov 2007 at 3:27 PM.
I've checked these (beautiful) lights with the Scriptorium, too, and they work fine (by the way, the Scriptorium hasn't changed much, lately; so, any "quite old" version should work fine...).

However, I've examined your packages, and I've found that their internal structure isn't perfect, regarding the custom lights; and this might be the cause of your erratic malfunctions when used in conjunction with the Scriptorium.

Keep in mind that, as far as I know (my knowledge of lights isn't perfect), the game usually applies the custom light relying on the name reported in the CRES; but, in case of problems (or if the .nlo file doesn't include all the info), then the game looks for the light configuration into the LGHT file; if still there are problems, the last resource is looking into the Text List 0x8E.

That said, examining for example the Blue PartyBulb, we can see the following:

1) CORRECT: the name of the cLightNode into the CRES (partyblue_light) is exactly identical to the name contained into the .nlo file.

2) NOT CORRECT: the name of the LGHT resource, in the package, is not the one that the object expects; this name should be in the form: customObjectName_customLightName_light_lght. In this case, it should be: lightingceilingvalue-[nicvncnt-6.10.2007-11152f]_partyblue_light_lght.
This is important because the .nlo file does NOT contain all the info: it contains only the definition of the diffuse light, not the practical (a.k.a. direct) light, and therefore the game must read the practical light from the LGHT file.

3) (Possibly) NOT CORRECT: the name contained in the Text List 0x8E (lightingceilingvalue_light) is not identical to the custom light name (partyblue_light); as a consequence, in some cases, if the object can't immediately find the partyblue_light, it "defaults" to the Maxis lightingceilingvalue_light. Actually, keeping the original Maxis reference in the Text List might help: if the user doesn't install correctly the NLO file, or the package has problems, the game will find anyway a working Maxis light to use. It's up the creator to decide if the object should act this way, or if he prefers that an incorrectly installed lamp should cast no light at all.

A more detailed explanation of the light working principles can be found in this InfoCenter article:
Modding InfoCenter - Lights and LGHT files.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 29th Nov 2007 at 6:50 PM Last edited by nicvncnt : 29th Nov 2007 at 7:43 PM. Reason: Typos
Quote: Originally posted by mocha0030
i want to download these lights, but i have scriptorium installed and the lights.txt file says DO NOT add anything manually to the file or the scriptorium may delete it! what do i do?

Havelock and Numenor have tested the lights with the Scriptorium and found they work fine, so I'm sure you will have no problems either.

AFAIK the Scriptorium will only alter your lighting.txt file when it's first installed - there's no reason you can't (if you want) make additional changes to the lighting .txt file afterwards.

I've tested both methods and both work fine.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 29th Nov 2007 at 7:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
I've checked these (beautiful) lights with the Scriptorium, too, and they work fine (by the way, the Scriptorium hasn't changed much, lately; so, any "quite old" version should work fine...).

However, I've examined your packages, and I've found that their internal structure isn't perfect, regarding the custom lights; and this might be the cause of your erratic malfunctions when used in conjunction with the Scriptorium.

I'm very grateful for this valuable information, and will include it in future updates.

When I was investigating why my .nlo files in the Scriptorium_CustomLights folder were being ignored by the game, I looked into my lighting.txt file and found the following:

####################################################
# Support for Custom Lights added by the CEP3
#
wildInclude "CEP3_CustomLights/*.nlo"

####################################################
# Support for Custom Lights added by the CEP3
#
wildInclude "CEP3_CustomLights/*.nlo"

...whereas I would have expected the second reference to read

wildInclude "Scriptorium_CustomLights/*.nlo"

When i modified the second reference to read as above, the game was able to recognise .nlo files in the Scriptorium_CustomLights folder.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#22 Old 29th Nov 2007 at 11:03 PM
Oh! So you had a very old version of the Scriptorium, you were right! -
I'm glad you could fix it
BTW, that old version sometimes happened to edit the lighting.txt multiple times, like in your case: there should be only one "wildinclude", pointing to the scriptorium folder, and no reference at all to the old CEP3 folder, that doesn't exist any more (or better: it shouldn't exist any more: the recent installer move its content to the scriptorium folder and then delete the CEP3 one).

As for adding a manual line after the "wildinclude", you are right: it works. Nevertheless, reinstalling the Scriptorium will delete the manual lines, so it's somewhat dangerous, because all my tools are designed to be installed over and over without any problem (usually they must be reinstalled after exach new EP, for example).

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 2:20 PM
I have updated the installation instructions for Scriptorium users in the light of Numenor's clarification above.
Alchemist
#24 Old 3rd Dec 2007 at 12:00 PM
These are fantastic! Thank you for sharing them.

If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets
Field Researcher
#25 Old 28th Dec 2007 at 12:10 PM
i've had these lights for awhile and i use them all the time for backyard parties/weddings. i just wanted to let you know they're great and to say THANKS!
Page 1 of 2