Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 10:03 AM Last edited by Delphy : 5th Mar 2007 at 10:45 AM.
Default MTS2 Changes - March 2007 - Everybody should read this
Hi All,

Welcome to the latest round of updates to one of the biggest Sims 2 fansites in the world. We've almost reached 1 million registered users over time (not counting purges and so on), which is quite an accomplishment considering the site didn't exist this time 3 years ago.

We have a whole bevy of changes which I am going to summarise in this text and then outline in more detail in the following posts. These are as follows:
  • Brand new upload screen for uploading creations to MTS2
  • Automatic package type detection when uploading
  • A package database of every package uploaded to MTS2 up to this time has been created - this does not include those packages inside Sims2Pack files (ie Lots and Houses)
  • Cosmetic changes to the Manage Attachments screen
  • AJAX technology is now used on the Thanks button on Downloads
  • Download pages now display a "Recommended" boxout on the left
  • Fixed the error with Compatible/All Downloads reverting back on download pages
  • Added Seasons Outerwear section to the Clothing area

There are also some small bug and code fixes, and minor stuff that I wont bore you with.

Now, onto to the meaty stuff.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
120 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#2 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 10:21 AM Last edited by Delphy : 5th Mar 2007 at 12:01 PM.
New Upload Wizard:

Here is the new MTS2 Upload Wizard. It has been designed from the ground up to try and make it a lot simpler (or, to be more precise, better) to upload items onto the site.

It is a radical departure from the existing single screen upload system that we have had on MTS2 for a while, but I think you'll appreciate the changes.

An flowchart of how this wizard works is as follows:

Features:

- Easy selection of download area and category
- Inline panel for uploading files
- Custom Content lists automatically based on information within the package file (see below)
- Indication of Meshes used as well as Paysite status now displayed within the upload process
- Compatibility for Lot uploads are now picked up automatically based on what EPs and SPs the creator has indicated in thier profile
- Image preview on text entry screen, and links allowing for easy IMG and URL links to the attached files.
- Polygon count entry box
- Inbuilt error checking for missing files, images, polygon counts and others
- Preview screen

Wizard Notes:

Step 5 may seem confusing to some - this is what I call the Custom Content screen. It comes up for all uploads, no matter of type or area. It is a screen that interfaces with the MTS2 Package Database to provide the following:

- When a Lot or Sim uploader uploads a Sims2Pack file with a file that already exists within the Package Database, the details are automatically filled in. This then automatically constructs the "Custom Content Included" section within the main text. Please read the section on the Package Database for more information.
- When any other uploader (for example some who does meshes or recolours) uploads, they must fill in the relevant details for the packages they have created (or just tick the box to say they made the package).

When you create a new thread, the Credits lists get automatically built, and it's much easier to insert pictures, and other details when you actually upload, but I think the biggest improvement that you will like is the Preview screen since if you make a mistake you don't have to wait for it to be rejected to fix.

Wizard FAQ:

For screenshots of the various stages in the upload wizard, click: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=222665

I realise that it's a big change and I know that people are going to have questions, so feel free to ask away.

Automatic Package Detection:

I've updated the DBPF reading code that is used when you upload files to MTS2 to also detect the type of file. In other words, when you view the custom Content List next to a file you will see one of the following:

- Mesh
- Recolour
- Clothing Recolour
- Accessory Recolour
- Game Mod/Hack
- Wall/Floor
- Terrain Paint
- Makeup
- Eyes
- Eyebrows
- Hair Recolour
- Career/Major
- Sim/Pet
- Unknown

It's not perfect and some files don't work, but I believe I have gotten the majority of the detection routines working. If you see a file that is listed as "Unknown" then let me know and I'll examine it in SimPE and figure out why it's different.

The detection is used in the Custom Content lists that appear in the new Upload Wizard

Package Database:

This is, essentially, a database of package files uploaded to MTS2, but is used in conjuction with the Upload Wizard above to categorise and store any package file, including those inside Lots and Sims

Basically, here is how it works:

- Initially, the package database gets populated with all the packages from MTS2
- When you upload anything onto MTS2, you are asked to identify the files. Say you upload an Object recolour: the wizard will detect this and ask you to fill in the details about the Creator and the Creators site or where the file can be downloaded from. You must do this on all package files and uploads.
- When you upload a Lot or a Sim, the system will look inside the Sims2Pack file and then automatically try to fill in as much of the Custom Content List as possible. You only have to fill in the missing boxes, which then get written to the Package Database so that the next time somebody uploads a Lot or Sim with that package they won't have to do it.

What this means is that, over time, the database will get populated with files and packages from all over the Sims 2 community. It makes it a lot easier for people to identify what custom content they have used in thier Lots, due to the peer nature of the system, and above all you cannot continue to upload items onto MTS2 without filling in the Custom Content lists!

Right now the package database can be located at: http://packagedb.modthesims2.com/

It currently does contain duplicates, but I will be weeding these out in the next day or so. If you see any packages in the database that are obviously attributed to the wrong person (say you uploaded somebody elses files), then please post in the thread in Site Issues.

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 10:32 AM
Manage Attachments screen:

This screen now has a larger "Upload Files" button and additionally, the "Uploading files please wait..." message has been moved above the list of attachments.

Download Thanks Button:

The Thanks button located on the download pages now uses AJAX technology for a quicker, easier, thanking experience without reloading the page. When clicking Thanks you may see a little rotating icon and then you get the text "Thank you for thanking this download". As soon as you see that, then you know your thanks have gotten registered properly.

Recommended Downloads:

If you go to shop sites such as Amazon.com you'll often see little lists like "Customers who bought this also bought...". Well, we've now implemented a similar system on MTS2!

On the left of the download screens just under the Thanks box you will now see a "Recommended" box. This will show you a random selection of downloads that other people have thanked in addition to this one, restricted by area.

This functionality will help downloaders to find other high quality items on the site without having to drill down through the main pages.

We realise that everybody browses slightly different but even so, it's a great system and we hope you all enjoy it. Many thanks to Echo for helping with the SQL and to the other staff for putting up with our discussions of tables, joins, indexes and syntax.

Compatible/All Downloads:

Some of you reported problems when clicking on "All Downloads" at the bottom of the download screen, that when you went to page 2 it lost the All Downloads and reverted back to Compatible. This has now been fixed.

New Seasons section:

I've updated the site to include Seasons icons (Thanks Tig) on the download page and on the actual download information screen, and we've also added a new "Outerwear" section to the Clothing Areas.

Final Words:

We hope you enjoy all the changes to the site - please remember this is a news post and not a discussion of what you can or can't do with Seasons.

Thanks to the following people:
- Echo, for the SQL stuff
- Tig, for the icon
- All the rest of the MTS2 staff
- The MTS2 Beta Test team
- My parents, for giving me a full head of hair that I can rip out at various points.

Enjoy, and Happy 5th March!

Regards
Delphy

Test Subject
#4 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 12:07 PM
Well done delphy and the team.Excellent work as always.Thank you for keeping the site up and running and adding these new things.
Test Subject
#5 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 12:08 PM
Thank u
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 12:10 PM
This is all great news! I can't wait to upload my hershey's career when it's done!

Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, it is measured by the moments that take our breath away.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 12:11 PM
Nice. Well it looks confusing now but I'm sure it's not. Now if only I could get back at creating stuff again soon. :D
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 12:14 PM
Thank you all for constantly developing this site. I think I would've stopped playing a long time ago if it wasn't for MTS2.

If you love something, set it free.
If it doesn't come back,
hunt it down and kill it.
Test Subject
#9 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 12:19 PM
Thank U
Field Researcher
#10 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 12:20 PM Last edited by jenfold : 5th Mar 2007 at 12:40 PM.
I'm in the process of uploading something now so far it's going swimmingly and I so the fact we get a preview screen now. Well worth the wait thanks!

Edit: Delphy I just spotted something weird, the upload I just submitted went straight through immediately though it's not on the main downloads page (Edit it is now!) and should obviously go through moderation first also I haven't had an upload in the queue type pm yet - but that probably cos it went straight through.

Obv do whatever you need to take it down etc. as the whole point of this site quality control is that everyone gets their stuff moderated.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 12:25 PM
this is so exciting! thank you delphy and the entire mts2 staff for endlessly and tirelessly developing the best sims site ever! you rock!
Test Subject
#12 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 12:27 PM
Thanks Delphy
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#13 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 12:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Some of you reported problems when clicking on "All Downloads" at the bottom of the download screen, that when you went to page 2 it lost the All Downloads and reverted back to Compatible. This has now been fixed.

I had a similar problem with subsections of Featured items recently, can't recall how it went exactly ... would that have been fixed at the same time or does it make sense to look into it + come back with a proper error description? (I was one of the "some" who had the problem in the first place)

ps ... I love the term "thanking experience"

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 12:38 PM
Nice work guys
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#15 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 12:46 PM
Thanks jenfold, I've bumped it back to the queue and fixed up that piece of code.

Field Researcher
#16 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 1:01 PM
It sounds fantastic Delphy - Can't wait to try out your high tech Download/Upload-shop *what may I help you with today sir?* :D

Recommended Downloads!
Pretty soon we'll be downloading stuff we never even knew we needed

Life's a game, so let's play!
Test Subject
#17 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 1:04 PM
Hooray!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#18 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 1:11 PM
plasticbox,

Not sure - I tested out the main download screen not the featured section - can you see if you still get the problems?

Mad Poster
#19 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 1:26 PM
A really great improvement ! Thanks delphy

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

* Plus j'échoue plus je m'approche de la réussite
* The more I fail the more I approach the success

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Mad Poster
#20 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 1:28 PM
Hooray! We can upload again! Thank you Delphy and the whole MTS2 staff for all the awsome work you put in this site. You rock!
Test Subject
#21 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 1:47 PM
nice one dude, good to see your undying dedication to the site!

"They say misery loves company, we could start a company and make misery. Frustrated Incorporated. I know just what you need, I might just have the thing, I know what you paid to see...put me out of my misery, I'd do it for you, would you do it for me?"
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 1:50 PM
Amazing work: thank you!

"Cute and cuddly!"

My own page on MTS2
Test Subject
#23 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 2:08 PM
Woa, great, TY

"As finishing touch God created the DUTCH!"
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#24 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 2:17 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 5th Mar 2007 at 2:43 PM.
Just tested, and yes I'm still getting this (50% of the original problem):

1. I go to Featured Items -> Clothing -> Page 3
2. I switch Compatibility from default ("Compatible") to "All", or the other way around
3. Upon reload, i'm back at Featured Items (not the subsection), Page 1

The same thing happens when I'm in a subsection or on page X (> 1) of the main Featured section and change any of the other filters (say, Meshes Only or Sort by Last Update or whatever) -- upon reload, I always end up on page 1 of Featured.

The filters themselves do stick now -- I can hop between pages and sections without resetting them, with one exception: when I'm in Featured (or, I suppose, any other subsection) and click on "Download" in the page *header* -- the white-on-blue part underneath the logo --, the filters are reset to default. When I click on "Downloads" in the directory tree, however (the black-on white part right above Search), the filter settings stay put.

Have fun =)

ETA: We're down to 25% of the original problem in the regular Downloads part:

1. I go to Downloads -> Body Shop -> page 3
2. change filters, click "Filter Downloads"
3. Page reloads and I'm at Downloads -> Body Shop -> page 1 -- so it does remember the subsection, just not the page.

ETA2: There seems to be another problem regarding the compatibility filters:

When I'm in Downloads (top level) and have the filters set to "Compatibility: Advanced: all boxes ticked" (in other words: equivalent to All) and "Maxis Recolours Only", I see 154 downloads. When I un-tick *any* of the "Compatibility: Advanced" boxes, no matter which one (even just one of the stuff packs), I get 0 downloads. Same thing happens with "Meshes only" (68 downloads when all boxes are ticked) and "Mesh Recolours only" (108 downloads). It even happens with "All Items" ... in other words, "Advanced" seems to be quite broken.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
#25 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 2:18 PM
Thank goodness the upload system is back, thanks again Delphy

AbstractSIMmer187 Has Retired From Sims 2 Creating
All Of My Creations Are Found Here
Page 1 of 7