Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#26 Old 22nd Nov 2006 at 9:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
What about running the LegacyBS in a separate folder, like now, but - when the legacyBS is closed - automatically copying *all* the files in the legacy SavedSims, Downloads and Projects to the corresponding "fullgame" folder?

I'd love that! As long as they were copied, and not moved.
Advertisement
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#27 Old 22nd Nov 2006 at 11:41 PM
Yes, lucentgem, I am suspecting that you moved your meshes and not their recolors that go with them. Each mesh also needs a recolor to show up. I simply copied my entire saved sims folder and download folder over. Then I went into my download folder and deleted out stuff I knew was furniture to save disk space... it doesn't hurt for it to be there, aside from clutter.

I did just use legacy bodyshop, and it worked great. My only problem was a bit of keeping things sorted and remembering where to go afterwards to get my finished files. I tested (because I actually have base game only here on a 2nd pc) my files on the true base game system, and they worked fine, as they did in pets.

On the other hand, having the projects folder so clean and clear was nice, lol. So I guess I'm a vote for 'can we have 1 saved sims folder that renames' so I don't have to go fishing for stuff. I happen to put my meshes in 'downloads' so I'd still need to keep track of that, but it's a smaller issue for me to do that, I don't make _that many_ meshes.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Field Researcher
#28 Old 23rd Nov 2006 at 1:55 AM Last edited by lucentgem : 23rd Nov 2006 at 7:25 AM.
Thank you so much for answering Hairfish and Tiggery. I really really appreciate it. I did originally just move the meshes over but then thinking they might need the colors I moved those over as well. I think I will remove all files and try again. Though it does make me feel a ton better knowing you have had personal experience with items showing up. I've been making things in pets and then fixing them with Simpe. Anyway I'll give that a try. Thanks again!

EDIT: I just wanted to say thank you. Once I reloaded the savedsims folder, repaired my install and tried again it worked! Yay! *Does the happy dance*

~JJ~
Looking for a forum to host your creations? Let's talk. PM me or email me from my site below.

Check out Lucentsims :*) And our forums.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 23rd Nov 2006 at 9:11 AM
the first time , with out thinking i deleted ALL the folders in my ea games folder except the sims 2 folder , and i found FullGame.id but it was empty! and there wasnt a program to open it!

Visit my sims page:http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/pod.php?user_id=851763 With it is downloads for all ages!
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#30 Old 23rd Nov 2006 at 10:12 AM
nnvp1, I hope you hadn't emptied your trash yet. Deleting folders 'without thinking' is uhm, uhm, not a good way to fix things.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 25th Nov 2006 at 12:33 AM
im looking....im looking

Visit my sims page:http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/pod.php?user_id=851763 With it is downloads for all ages!
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 25th Nov 2006 at 12:37 AM Last edited by nnvp1 : 25th Nov 2006 at 12:46 AM.
i got it!
Attached files:
File Type: rar  BaseGameStarter.rar (291.7 KB, 14 downloads) - View custom content

Lab Assistant
#33 Old 26th Nov 2006 at 3:14 AM
hello???????

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#34 Old 26th Nov 2006 at 3:22 AM
I've downloaded your zipped folder, and I didn't like what I could guess reading the logs.

You seem to have only one "The Sims 2" folder in your EA Games, and this only folder does NOT seem to be your "full" game. Yes, it contains a file named "FullGame.id", but I think it was created when you tried to reinstall the BaseGameStarter over a bad folder structure (i.e. when the folders weren't correctly named). Infact, in the same folder there is also the file "LBSgame.id" that uniquely identifies the LegacyBS save folder. The only folder you have in your EA Games seems to be the LegacyBS one; I can't see traces of the main game.

So, I second Tiggerypum hope: that you have not emptied your trash, yet.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#35 Old 26th Nov 2006 at 8:26 PM Last edited by Bonita! : 26th Nov 2006 at 9:09 PM.
I cant get it get to work. I get the notepad file, even though I have nothing open relating to the sims.

EDIT: I got it but how can I change the resolution of the BS? It is waay too small for my screen.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#36 Old 27th Nov 2006 at 12:00 AM
Right click on the LegacyBS icon and choose "Properties"; in the topmost field, go with the cursor to the end of the line and delete the text "-r800x600". This will make the LegacyBS run in a window, at its default resolution (1024x768).

If you want it to run the BodyShop in fullscreen mode, delete also the "-w" part of the line.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
#37 Old 27th Nov 2006 at 2:44 AM
I've been using LegacyBS fine and it's fantastic (thankyou!) but for some reason it has stopped working. It just won't open. Comes up with a little black screen (mental blank for what it's actually called) and then runs a bunch of files, then nothing. It used to do this and then open LegacyBS. As far as i know nothing has changed since it's stopped working so i'm kinda lost. =)

Edit: I had a look at the LegacyBS log and figured out that i'd renamed The Sims 2 folder to The Sims 2 Full Game. Don't remember doing it but i've changed it back to The Sims 2 and it works now. Thanks
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#38 Old 27th Nov 2006 at 7:17 AM
ElmoLovesCyclops - that's where your stuff gets put when legacy bodyshop tries to run... so something must have gone wrong during one of your sessions, and then legacy bodyshop wasn't finding the files it needed when you went to run it again. I could be wrong, but I think that there's a 'fixer' thing on the desktop that you should try if that happens again.

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#39 Old 27th Nov 2006 at 10:19 AM
The automatic recovery routin should start automatically, whenever an error occurs. But it can be invoked manually at any time, using the "Repair Installation" icon (the one with the "HELP" text on it).
The routine can rename correctly your folders, without you having to do that manually. And if a correct rename isn't possible, an error window will explain you why.

Lab Assistant
#40 Old 27th Nov 2006 at 12:05 PM
well....what am i looking for? cause i deleted a folder named ' new folder' and it said ' this folder is too big for the trash ' so..... was that it? oh god! im such an idiot! *hits head*

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#41 Old 27th Nov 2006 at 2:10 PM
NNVP1, I'm terribly sorry for what happened to your game. I only hope you won't blame the BaseGameStarter for what happened, because the BaseGameStarter didn't delete anything.

I've searched the internet for something that might help, and I've found a little tool that might be useful: ADRC Data Recovery Tool. It's a small freeware tool that is able, if possible, to undelete the files, while also keeping the original folder structure.

Take a little time to read the instructions (it's quite intuitive, though), and then try an undelete.
In the meantime, don't install anything, don't run the game, use the disk as little as possible, so to avoid aggravating the problem (because every file that is written on the disk overwrites a part of the deleted files).

PS: the recovery tool needs an open internet connection to work, because every time you run it, it will open the help page on the ADRC site. If internet is off, or your firewall blocks the tool from accessing the internet, the tool won't work.

Lab Assistant
#42 Old 28th Nov 2006 at 9:00 AM
thanks so much for helping me! ill check it now! -runs off-

Instructor
#43 Old 2nd Dec 2006 at 1:09 PM Last edited by fairywasteland : 2nd Dec 2006 at 1:20 PM.
Oooh, okay, I'm feeling amazingly stupid right now. So here's my thing. I have all 4 EPs and all 3 SPs. I just got the base game starter today and when I installed it, the only thing I had clicked was Legacy bodyshop. When it installed my EA folder had three folders in it... The Sims 2, The Sims 2 -FullGame, and BaseGameStarter. I went into Legacy BS, saw that it worked just like regular BS and closed it. Then I went to make a recolor but I didn't know where to put the mesh I wanted to recolor, so I figured I should come on here and see if anyone else had asked that question and yadayada. So I didn't see an answer where I looked, so I assumed that I should put it in the downloads folder of The Sims 2. I also used Clean Install to install a sim I had hanging around my desktop that had been packaged with Pets bodyshop (with hair and body meshes packaged with the sim) to that downloads folder. Then I fired up Legacy bodyshop and the sim was there, and I went to look at her hair, but the custom star was unselectable like I didn't have any custom hair. But the hair was on her. So I figured I had done somthing wrong, or maybe I had managed to screw up the installation process, so I clicked the icon on my desktop that said help. And it renamed the folder The Sims 2 - FullGame to Folder 3. I tried to run Legacy body shop and it gave some error (sorry, I've forgotten what it said.) Then I manually renamed the folder like it was before but it gave me the same error. Then I tried to run the Pets body shop, and it opened just fine with the one sim and all her custom content. So I guess my question is what stupid thing did I do, and what can I do now to fix it?

Edit: OMG, I swear I'm losing it. The funky error I was getting when I tried to open LBS before didn't come up just now when I tried to open it. I opened it, and there was my sim sitting in the sim bin with all her custom content and what not. But I went to look at the hair and it's still not showing under custom hair. And her outfit too. I should prolly mention that both of them are my own recolors of custom meshes that I made in a Pets environment. But I have de-Petsified them both in SimPe. *sigh*
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#44 Old 2nd Dec 2006 at 6:19 PM
Fairywasteland - The names of the folder change while the LegacyBS is running: the two folders you mention ("The Sims 2" and "The Sims 2 - FullGame") are perfectly normal as long as the LegacyBS is running; and then they should be renamed back to "The Sims 2 - LBS" and "The Sims 2", respectively.

Do this: run again the "Repair Installation" (the HELP icon) and read the error message, if it pops up. The error gives you instructions as to how to fix the problem, or at least explains you the reason why the problem occur.

If you are in trouble, because you don't understand the error message, or you don't know what to do, then zip the entire BaseGameStarter folder and post it here, and I will help you.

In any case, here is some useful info:

1) Never run again the installer: it doesn't fix anything better than the HELP icon.
2) Look into the various folders located into your (documents)\EA Games: each folder must have ONE (and only one) little file with a ".id" extension; if you find a folder that contains TWO .id files, and one of them is "FullGame.id", then delete the file "FullGame.id". When every file has only one .id file, run the HELP routine.

Instructor
#45 Old 2nd Dec 2006 at 6:27 PM
What about collecting all the useful info together in the BGS thread, updating the "Hints & Tips", Numenor?

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#46 Old 2nd Dec 2006 at 9:38 PM
Good idea I've done as you suggested.

Instructor
#47 Old 3rd Dec 2006 at 1:20 AM
Fairywasteland - The names of the folder change while the LegacyBS is running: the two folders you mention ("The Sims 2" and "The Sims 2 - FullGame") are perfectly normal as long as the LegacyBS is running; and then they should be renamed back to "The Sims 2 - LBS" and "The Sims 2", respectively.

Do this: run again the "Repair Installation" (the HELP icon) and read the error message, if it pops up. The error gives you instructions as to how to fix the problem, or at least explains you the reason why the problem occur.

If you are in trouble, because you don't understand the error message, or you don't know what to do, then zip the entire BaseGameStarter folder and post it here, and I will help you.

In any case, here is some useful info:

1) Never run again the installer: it doesn't fix anything better than the HELP icon.
2) Look into the various folders located into your (documents)\EA Games: each folder must have ONE (and only one) little file with a ".id" extension; if you find a folder that contains TWO .id files, and one of them is "FullGame.id", then delete the file "FullGame.id". When every file has only one .id file, run the HELP routine.

It seems to be better now... I ran the repair installation again and the folders have their names changed back. Before now they hadn't changed their names at all, but it seems better after the repair installation. Thanks.
Instructor
#48 Old 3rd Dec 2006 at 3:04 AM
Good idea

Actually it was more a 'logical idea'. I mean my logic "takeing care of the whole stuff" was fine with it but your logic was affected by this method because you splitted infos about various threads which makes it difficult to concentrate on the original problem (error fix of BGS components for successfully creating) - and this not really logical splitting done by you was the thing which forced my logic (finding a way to help everyone, you included, to find an easy to access place to look first in case of troubles instead of searching the whole forum for bits of required info) to post :D

Nice to help
(My logic is actually investigating how long yours needs to understand the differences in meaning... )

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 10th Dec 2006 at 8:54 AM
nnvp1 Instead of going through all that trouble with the legacy body shop, why not trying the old version. I got fed up with it and just ignored the Legacy version and went the old version. I also try deleteing all the ones show the body instead of the head,(for hairstyles that is,) And just never download them ever again. also why not try re-downloading the sims. sheesh.*takes deep breathe and after, sighs* At first I thought I lost all my things until I opened the origanal and POOF there`s my stuff. So this is just basically taking the sims and re-installing it AL over again. Then why would we need the sims 2 in the first place. my fingers are now cramping.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#50 Old 10th Dec 2006 at 11:13 AM
Simkitty, the 'old' version of bodyshop didn't want to run on my computer with my new eps installed, it would error out. I have to use 'legacy bodyshop' to run it.

Page 2 of 3