Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#26 Old 29th Nov 2006 at 4:02 PM
Unimesh does not currently create bumpmaps.
You can take your finished mesh, export with the smd in SimPE and then import it again and it will have working bumpmaps if it had them before.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 30th Nov 2006 at 12:54 AM
YES! I see bump maps!! Thank you!
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 19th Mar 2007 at 7:45 AM
tiggerypum i have a question i have had milkshape for 2 months but i never tried to used it until now. my 30 days are up and i cant save.; i dont have a credit card or the money to buy it. do you know of any other programs i could use?

thank u

TASH

http://passionssims2com.page.tl/

my own website. check it out
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#29 Old 19th Mar 2007 at 2:32 PM
tacos, not as easily/completely as unimesh and not as documented.
You can go read the article _carefully_ in the InfoCenter about all the tools.
XSI modtool and smd format is free - but frankly, is not for beginners - the interface is that of a program with many many features and usually sells for hundreds of dollars. I did a simple 'advanced tutorial' (I personally used it before unimesh came out) to help folks who _were familiar with milkshape editing_ at the time to get around in it. There's also another change that I've not had time to document in the past year, SimPE supports smd format, so you can skip the 'meshtool advanced' steps, which is good, the smd support is better from simpe.
Or you can look at MESHTOOL/OBJ and find one of the free 3d editors with the appropriate plugin that will make it work with meshtool - and then make small changes to meshes only.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Test Subject
#30 Old 31st Mar 2007 at 3:50 PM
hi! i just wanted to say that your toturials are helping me a lot! but i was just wondering if you could explaine the part of editing the checkpattern, i didn't get that completely:S
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#31 Old 31st Mar 2007 at 8:10 PM
What you're doing is adjusting the mapping so that the texture looks more even, instead of stretched - because by moving the vertices the texture will stretch, until you adjust it to compensate for your changes to the mesh.

You're not changing the checkpattern at all, but you're using it because it's easy to look at the boxes and kind of see - are they as even/square as possible, how much distortion is there on the design. At first they look like rectangles on the mesh.

As for the steps involved, I can't make it any simpler than the tutorial with a screenshot on almost every step. If you have a specific question, I will try and answer it.

Test Subject
#32 Old 2nd Apr 2007 at 12:48 PM
thanks! i got it now
Test Subject
#33 Old 2nd Apr 2007 at 12:51 PM
but how do i extend the white area on the alpha file, so that i reaches the bottom of the new uvmap?:S
Test Subject
#34 Old 2nd Apr 2007 at 2:36 PM
when i have added a new texture in paint.NET,which is the editorprogram i use, i can't save the new texture over the old one, because the old texture file isn't there, and when i click the preview button in body shop, it isn't any changes at all! help me please?
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#35 Old 2nd Apr 2007 at 3:52 PM
fiepijah, you need to figure out how to save your file in bmp format over the 'old one' in your projects folder. I suggest you go to the bodyshop - SKINNING area and work through the body recoloring tutorials - there is a set that uses paint.net - and get that part worked out and then come back and try again.

Test Subject
#36 Old 8th Apr 2007 at 7:19 PM
Hello Tig, Thank you soo much for the amazing tutorial , you are one in a million. I followed every step, and everything looked good till i reached to the point where i examened the last mesh in bodyshop after working in Adobe Photoshop and i saw that there's a black area below the skirt, so i returned back to adobe to do some changes, and went to Bodyshop again to see what happened then i saw a SHORT below the skirt that i lengthened, so any ideas what i did wrong ? lol. Great tutorial again.

Many thanks.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#37 Old 9th Apr 2007 at 6:01 AM
Two of us looked at this message and we've never quite seen this reported as a possible outcome - so can you give us a picture or two - use 'go advanced' and then 'manage attachments' to give us a couple of screenshots.

Test Subject
#38 Old 9th Apr 2007 at 10:50 AM
Thank you so much Tig for your reply , and i didn't know where to attach the screenshots, but anyways , i solved my meshing problem yesterday lol ,i just followed your steps again and everything looked amazing thank you so much again for the wonderful tutorial. And thank you for letting me know where to attach the screenshots, maybe i'll need it later.
Test Subject
#39 Old 23rd Apr 2007 at 12:05 AM
I'm not sure if this is just me, but I thought I would mention iut just in case. Step 9:
9) Click on MOVE, and click on the X button so it’s highlighted blue (and the Y and Z buttons should be gray only) and then drag the skirt downwards towards the next row of vertices.

When I select X, it will only move the mesh from side to side...I have to select Y to get it to move up and down.

Thanks for the great tut! I'm not doone it though, just thought I would put that in while I was at that point. *cheesy grin*
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#40 Old 23rd Apr 2007 at 3:50 AM
actually, I believe I was turning OFF X in that step - by default they all are on. Perhaps the 'highlights' look different on your system?

Test Subject
#41 Old 23rd Apr 2007 at 5:43 AM
ah, maybe. I am running Vista. I also noticed a couple of other things a bit different, figured it could be too cuz I downloaded the beta trial version of Milkshape. *shrugs*

Anyways, I have another question. I got everything to work. *YAY!* (Thank you for another awesome tut!) , but if I make the alpha layer too low, part of the dress shows up on the thigh, if I raise it just enough, then a bit of the bottom of the dress doesn't show the texture.

(I think I uploaded the jpgs right)
Screenshots
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#42 Old 23rd Apr 2007 at 7:04 AM
Malifecent when you edited your uvmap, did you pull the dress texture down onto the legs? Or not move the leg tops downward also - look at your uvmap - that is your coloring guide. If the skirt underneath (including a little tiny rectangle in the center) is too close to the legs, go back in and adjust the uvmap more.

Edit: Looking at the original dress, it was designed with a fairly tight layout with only a tiny gap between the dress and legs - maybe you just need to use the uvmap as a guide.

In terms of using the uvmap: I'll view a full adult body at 50% and take a screenshot of it with printscreen. Then I paste it into my graphics editor, trim away all the junk, so it's exactly 512x512. Then scale up 200%. That's a full sized uvmap then. I save that to disk with a descriptive name followed by 'uvmap' (like exactly what I named my mesh). Now you can take the uvmap and pop it into your graphics program as another layer and use it as a guide.

Test Subject
#43 Old 23rd Apr 2007 at 5:10 PM
Ya, I might have screwed up that part. When I took the screenshot of the uvmap, it still had the red dots on it, so when I tried to use that later as a guide, it was hard to tell because of the red dots, lol. I am going to try again from where I saved the 2nd or 3rd tut mesh.Thanks for response. :o) I will let you know what happens.
Test Subject
#44 Old 24th Apr 2007 at 12:54 AM
Ok, I got it fixed! Thank you again for the great tutorial and for all the help!
Test Subject
#45 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 5:21 AM
hello. i just want to say this is another great tutorial, it helped out a lot with some questions i had.
however i have another, which deals with meshes (meshi? meshs?)
i decided i wanted to add some new vertices and faces to a mesh, to make it my own. however, when i do get it uloaded and view it in bodyshop, the new faces appear darker, as if they are ghosted. this same effect i see on the new faces in milkshape. how is this problem solved? i know SOMEONE had to create meshes in the first place, so there MUST be a way to make a new face appear the same as the others.
here is an example of the problem (take notice of the odd, out of place dark spot)
http://www.geocities.com/adrumsolo4u/project03.html

Adrumsolo4u
P.M.A.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#46 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 9:17 AM
adrumsolo4u, you need to get all the way to the end, there's another tutorial left
It's a normals issue.
Select the vertices around that area and use demon's align normals. That area in milkshape when viewed in the view that has things look silverly and smooth - should now look perfectly blended with the rest of the mesh. At least I assume that's what the issue is. (Do not use milkshapes 'smooth' or 'autosmooth' -- use demon's tools, which you're told to install in tutorial #3)

Also, in the future, do not post questions in tutorial threads *unless they are actually about doing the tutorial*. If you are going off and doing your own projects (adding parts is most certainly not part of this tutorial) go to the main bodyshop meshing area and there you can start a new thread with your project question.

Thanks

Test Subject
#47 Old 2nd Jul 2007 at 7:31 AM
Ah Oh! Made a boo boo and I don't know how to fix it.
HELP!
at step 43) I accidentally replaced the gmnd file instead of the gmdc. I've fixed the gmdc file by replacing it eith body3, but now I don't know what to do about the gmnd.

HELP!
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#48 Old 2nd Jul 2007 at 12:06 PM
Uhm, in the beginning you extracted the 4 pieces of your mesh, remember, and then put them into the file. The gmnd is the one part that wasn't edited (I believe) so go replace the current one with the one you'd saved out.

If that doesn't work, you need to start over with the 4 pieces of the mesh, fix integrity, save it, the modified shape and cres, do the linking part over again, and then import your newest gmdc.

Instructor
#49 Old 2nd Jul 2007 at 8:22 PM
Uh! had problems with my pc, so i did the tutorial over again, thanks a lot for this easy to follow tutorial

Screenshots
Test Subject
#50 Old 5th Jul 2007 at 6:52 PM
Dear tiggerypum

I have a problem which makes my mesh ugly
You see, when I skin a thing every time the part were I editted the mesh, my printed is stretched out, it is pretty ugly,(examplehttp://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l...vod/problem.jpg
I know it ugly, but you can see, I made a sort of top whic shows the original print en you can see the skirt who's print is strechted out

I really on't know what to do about it...please can somebody help me?
Locked thread | Locked by: HystericalParoxysm Reason: New, updated tutorial available.
Page 2 of 4