Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 2nd Sep 2007 at 11:08 AM
gimp user
I have been using gimp for a while now to make recolors for clothing and other things as well..I've never posted here, and don't know how to go about writing up a tutorial, but I would like to make one up for creating realistic default [genetic] eyes for gimp users , anyone know what I can do to start, please let me know how!

to add something to this post, I find the bump map filter very useful when working with textures!
Advertisement
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#27 Old 4th Sep 2007 at 12:04 AM
Well, in this thread: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...es#startcomment

There is discussion of being able to use a very similar procedure in gimp, but no one has written the actual instructions out. (or if you have another method that works well, that is of course also welcome!)

To write a tutorial, follow the general format (include screenshots of what you're working on, detailed instructions, etc) and post it as a new message in this area. If your post is complete and clear enough to be considered a full tutorial, it will be moved to the tutorial area. (you cannot post directly into the tutorial area, a mod will need to move things) Even if it's not moved to the tutorial area, it will be on site, and can be linked to from this thread.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Test Subject
#28 Old 12th Sep 2007 at 9:37 AM
Default gimp
Quote: Originally posted by tiggerypum
Well, in this thread: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...es#startcomment

There is discussion of being able to use a very similar procedure in gimp, but no one has written the actual instructions out. (or if you have another method that works well, that is of course also welcome!)

To write a tutorial, follow the general format (include screenshots of what you're working on, detailed instructions, etc) and post it as a new message in this area. If your post is complete and clear enough to be considered a full tutorial, it will be moved to the tutorial area. (you cannot post directly into the tutorial area, a mod will need to move things) Even if it's not moved to the tutorial area, it will be on site, and can be linked to from this thread.

Thank you for your reply, and yes, I do have a different method for making default sim eyes. I just tried the tutorial in the linked thread, and I could not figure it out in Gimp. I'm sure my method would work well in all graphics programs I'm not too new to bodyshop, but I don't know how to upload files and all that stuff, so I thought I could do a tut instead. So, I would just post the tutorial in this thread, and if it is good it will be moved to a new post? (sorry, I'm just so new to this, I wasn't aware until recently you could download stuff for sims)

ok so enough rambling, my tutorial would give a result similar to this that I just whipped up:
Attached Images

world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#29 Old 12th Sep 2007 at 10:04 AM
That's beautiful, bethNjeff!

Post your tutorial on a new thread in the main Body Shop Skinning forum: http://www.modthesims2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Make the subject line something like, "Tutorial: (Your Tutorial Title Goes Here)" so it's obvious what it is, and then we can move it into the tutorial area.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#30 Old 12th Sep 2007 at 10:29 AM Last edited by bethNjeff : 12th Sep 2007 at 2:44 PM. Reason: update
Default tutorial
thanks so much! I'll work on the tutorial and have it up hopefully by the end of the week. I'd hope sooner, but my internet keeps crashing.

edit: I actually finished the tutorial today, my internet did not give me many problems, I hope that I uploaded the images correctly and such, and I hope they were not too many, as I needed to show them for others to easily see what happens through the process the post is here: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...853#post1766853
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#31 Old 13th Sep 2007 at 2:07 AM
Lovely tutorial! Thank you so much It's great to see a different techique, and one that indeed most people should be able to do.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
#32 Old 17th Sep 2007 at 9:41 PM
Thanks for the tips (I think).

Everything I do, All Glory will GO TO GOD! All the praises Goes to the Lord on High!
I don't want to gain the whole world and loose my Soul!
MOAVGproductions Youtube channel, subscribe to it!
MOAVGproductions blog/site
Official Facebook page, like it!
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 27th Sep 2007 at 2:04 AM Last edited by Ciablue : 27th Sep 2007 at 2:58 AM.
Default Satin Texture in GIMP Tutorial
Found this tutorial. Thought other might find it helpful.

Creating Satin Texture in GIMP

Blue Satin Swatch made using this tutorial

The hyperlink included in the readme file of the above tut is no longer valid. I tracked down the proper link. Here it is in case anyone wants it.

Creating Denim Textures The Tutorial for creating denim textures is here.

"You are not what you do for a living."[Tyler Durden/ B. Pitt/Fight Club]
Test Subject
#34 Old 7th Apr 2008 at 4:49 PM
I can say that I use GIMP for everything, and I love it. It is not what I would call "user friendly" from the startup, but once you get your bearings in the program, you see that GIMP can do pretty well anything that Photoshop or Paintshop Pro can do, just maybe in a different order or location. The most obvious place I could recommend for tutorials on how to use GIMP (outside of sims 2 creation) would be to go to GIMP's website.
http://www.gimp.org/ (that would be where the download is) and to the GIMP user's group. http://gug.sunsite.dk/

The tutorials there range in difficulty and cover pretty well all aspects of the program itself. Likewise, Sublimesims.net has some GIMP specific sims2 tutorials, that are in the process of being linked up here (to cover gimp stuff, patterns, basic recolors, light and shadow, photoskinning, details, drop shadows, and detail work such as a stitch.)

That pretty well sums it up though. Hope this helps some.

spending spare time drinking more coffee
Test Subject
#35 Old 20th Jun 2008 at 10:30 PM
Can anyone help me understand the layers better? I've tried using them for coloring but I don't understand what they do and how they work.
Test Subject
#36 Old 22nd Jun 2008 at 3:22 AM
Well, the layers are what make your texture have depth. One layer for color, add a new layer, for an interesting texture, a layer for shadow, a layer for highlights, etc. Each layer allows you to add a bit more feature, and to change the way it is done, so you don't end up looking like you scribbled flat things on something that isn't supposed to be flat.

spending spare time drinking more coffee
Field Researcher
#37 Old 6th Oct 2009 at 11:04 AM
I made some skin tones a while ago and I was able to use photoshop to recolor them. Now, I've updated one of the colors and now I would like to make more but, I don't have photoshop anymore. Is there a way to recolor them using GIMP without losing the detail? I've started with the dark brown skin since I've always seen people say that it's harder to get the darker colors. Here is a picture of the face to maybe help for some useful hints...
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 30th Dec 2009 at 3:21 PM
SolidGoldFunk84: You can select "Colour" then something like "add colour" then you got up some nice sliders that you can drag in to make the colour you want. If you want to edit the brightness and contrast select "Colour" then "Brightness and Contrast" and drag the sliders. All this is in the table on the upper side.

Tumblr: Springbunnysims
Field Researcher
#39 Old 31st Dec 2009 at 12:46 AM
Thank you Nors! I forgot all about this and had just given up. I will give it a try.
Test Subject
#40 Old 27th Jun 2010 at 10:12 PM
Adding shadows to a texture
I can see that no one has posted/replied in this thread for awhile, but I'll give it a shot anyways.

I'm trying to add shadows to my texture so it can have more body and depth and not just look...blah and just like the texture. I've tried it by readind Faylen's tut on adding shadows in photoshop but it's kinda hard to translate that over into GIMP. (or I'm just completly incompetent, for that matter -__-)

I've tried looking on Google but stuff for Photoshop just keeps popping up and I'm starting to introduce my head and keyboard together.

I hope this wasn't already asked and that there isn't already a tut on here or else I'd feel really stupid.
Can anyone help?
Scholar
#41 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 1:27 PM
Default Any GIMP users out there?
Hello!

I've just been trying to get my head around GIMP as I want to improve the clothes I made with Paint! (I know they look crap!)

Does anyone else on here use GIMP to make clothes? (re-colours not meshing)

I've done the 5 GIMP tutorials on here but am kind of stuck now.

Has anyone found any more GIMP clothing tutorials?

Thanks!
Instructor
#42 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 11:43 PM
I try to download GIMP But it never finishes!! I Would To use bodyshop!!

To see a world in a grain of sand, and heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

My Tumblr
Forum Resident
#43 Old 17th Sep 2015 at 4:44 PM
Hi
I use GIMP to recolor my clothes and skintones used in the Sims 2.
Regarding skintones, Is there any way to recolor the whole batch of files instead of 1 file at a time? It takes forever to recolor one skintone file at a time and was just wondering if there was an easier way to do it?
Test Subject
#44 Old 6th Oct 2018 at 11:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Faylen
I have stuck this thread so that GIMP users can have a nice conversation/support group here. . .

I've been trying to use Gimp to change the design on a shirt and give it a new necklace, but instead of the shirt staying black with a few added pink lines after editing the mat, it all turned blue and instead of changing the existing necklace shape to the one I drew after editing the alpha, the whole upper body became covered in the texture. Does anyone know what caused this?

Original Textures

New Textures

Result
Scholar
#45 Old 7th Oct 2018 at 2:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kribaker
I've been trying to use Gimp to change the design on a shirt and give it a new necklace, but instead of the shirt staying black with a few added pink lines after editing the mat, it all turned blue and instead of changing the existing necklace shape to the one I drew after editing the alpha, the whole upper body became covered in the texture. Does anyone know what caused this?

Original Textures

New Textures

Result

Do you mind uploading the file? I migbht be able to figure it out for you. The reason why I asked is that I couldn't pinpoint the problem going by the little information that you gave out. I must warn you that i'm using a cheap Intel Celeron laptop while i'm waiting for my new charger to my much better i5 laptop to get here and I use Adobe Photoshop.
Test Subject
#46 Old 18th Oct 2018 at 2:53 AM
You've almost certainly saved the wrong bmp bits/color combo. I'd recommend trying to save it in all the options and then see which one works. That's the one you'll want to use for the rest of your project. When you're exporting, you'll be able to change that in a screen that looks something like this. I've got version 2.8.22, for reference. Good luck!
Field Researcher
#47 Old 21st Jan 2019 at 8:43 AM
@Kribaker
Okay, so, you may have figured out how to do this by now, and if that's the case, I apologize; if not, then this may help.

I use GIMP exclusively for my recolor/retexture work (including both wedding gowns I've uploaded on here), and really all you need to do to fix that blue texture you're seeing is use the default Paint program that came with your computer.

So, what you do is this: open Bodyshop, GIMP, and Paint, and in Gimp open the recolor, the recolor's alpha, and (if there is one), the bump map. Next, Make a new 1024x1024 GIMP file. Copy the alpha, recolor, and bump map images, and paste them (as separate layers) into the new GIMP file you've made. Make your edits, then copy the edited versions and paste them into their respective places (modified alpha image gets pasted over old alpha image, modified recolor image gets pasted over old recolor image, etc.)

So, say you're wanting to change the color:
Now (and this is important): when you go to save, you'll see an option on the original texture file called "Override"-click this. Don't save, click override. Now, go into Paint, and find the texture file you just modified (not the GIMP file, but the texture file in your recolor package). Open it, then click "save" in Paint.

Refresh in Bodyshop, and the blue should go away. In short, any changes you make with Gimp will have to be walked through Paint with this method, but it does work, and while a little more time-consuming, it becomes barely-noticeable after a while. As I said, I used this exact same method to make my two wedding dresses that are on this site, as well as outfits I still plan to release, and it works.

Maybe I should make a tutorial for this...
Page 2 of 2