Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th May 2006 at 9:25 PM Last edited by tiggerypum : 4th Nov 2006 at 9:41 PM.
Using The GIMP? This might help
I thought these tutorial sites might be helpful for anyone using The GIMP program for recolors etc.

Please be aware that the sites listed are tutorials on how to better understand The GIMP program. These are NOT tutorials on recoloring, skinning etc. There are some great tutorials listed in this very forum that will give you a good foundation to start with.
(Remember that if you dont know how to properly use your graphics program chances are that you will not understand how to recolor & skin...Learned that the hard way )

Grokking the GIMP this is a very extensive tutorial about all the functions of GIMP.

GIMP Tutorial Hits on some basic functions. Nice Tut.

These are just a few to get you started. If you need more just :google: "The GIMP tutorials" There's tons out there. Or you can add sites to this post.
Also if anyone wants to share some tips/ tricks that they have learned please do.
I am still VERY new using this and I have only scratched the surface. Anyway
Hope this helps
River

Real Sims Blvd. -FREE Quality Sims Clothes & More
Real Sims 2
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 6th May 2006 at 10:45 PM Last edited by tiggerypum : 13th Aug 2006 at 2:14 AM. Reason: site moved
http://www.sublimesims.net/ (formerly named Complete Sim)

They have recoloring Tutorials using gimp!
note by Tigger:

The series is also in the process of being posted to MTS2 now.

You can find the first one, which covers installing GIMP and recoloring basics here: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=182601

I sim, therefore I am.
Feeder of Cheesecake to Llamas
retired moderator
#3 Old 7th May 2006 at 1:38 AM
I have stuck this thread so that GIMP users can have a nice conversation/support group here. . .

"Living well is the best revenge. . ." George Bernard Shaw
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th May 2006 at 2:51 AM
Thanks Suesim for the link- checked it out pretty darn nifty.
Thank-you Faylen for making us a "Sticky"

Real Sims 2
Feeder of Cheesecake to Llamas
retired moderator
#5 Old 7th May 2006 at 7:48 PM
My pleasure. Since I don't have the time to learn all the image programs out there, I want to make sure that the people who use things other than PhotoShop have a place to trade ideas and information.

"Living well is the best revenge. . ." George Bernard Shaw
Instructor
#6 Old 11th Jul 2006 at 11:52 AM
Thanks for the links!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Jul 2006 at 4:23 AM
Your welcome Vim

Real Sims 2
Instructor
#8 Old 22nd Sep 2006 at 5:50 AM
I'm using GIMP to change the makeup and tattoos on sims. My first project is to create markings over the entire head, not just face. I'll look over the tuts and see if any other GIMP users reply.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 22nd Sep 2006 at 6:09 AM
what exactly is GIMP and what can you do with it? I am personaly a lot builder, but I want to try something else for a change. [houses get old after a while] this may sound like a dumb ? to you guys . but i am not familiar with this program at all
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 22nd Sep 2006 at 9:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by snakeskinner
what exactly is GIMP and what can you do with it? I am personaly a lot builder, but I want to try something else for a change. [houses get old after a while] this may sound like a dumb ? to you guys . but i am not familiar with this program at all

GIMP is a graphic editing program (i think it stands for Gnu Image Manipulating Program), maybe not as powerful as photoshop latest versions, but it sure is one of the best free programs you can download from the internet.

I use it to make my own stuff, and it works pretty good and although it's a bit cofusing to use at the beginning if you havent tried photoshop, soon you get used to it. It handles layers, some filters, etc. Things that can be vital to creating anything on a graphic program.

PSP is still way better than GIMP but if you cant afford PSP latest versions (or old versions on Ebay which shouldnt be above 100USD i think) then this is probably the best tool you can get.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 23rd Sep 2006 at 4:02 AM
Thanks Simguy182 i think i might try the program. at least if i need any help i know were to come to get it.

THANKS AGAIN
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 25th Oct 2006 at 2:52 AM
I've been using "MS Picture-It! Photo 7.0" for years now. It used to work fine, but for some reason, I'm now losing resolution when I save to BMP format. I've been thinking about looking into a new program. I tried Corel Paint Shop Pro X, but the resolution quality on ALL pictures was absolute crap. Just wanted to know if Gimp was any better with resolution/image quality?

If it weren't for ADD I'd be forgetful, lazy, absentminded, clumsy, always late, disorganized, messy, and annoying.................for no apparant reason.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 12:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Amy2838
I've been using "MS Picture-It! Photo 7.0" for years now. It used to work fine, but for some reason, I'm now losing resolution when I save to BMP format. I've been thinking about looking into a new program. I tried Corel Paint Shop Pro X, but the resolution quality on ALL pictures was absolute crap. Just wanted to know if Gimp was any better with resolution/image quality?

Yes. I have tried Photoshop Elements, a scaled down version of Photoshop included with the purchase of certain hardware, and GIMP is on a par with that. It can't do everything that the full version of PSP can do, but the image quality is excellent.

For what it's worth, my daughter works with professional 3D modeling programs for a living, and so is very familiar with image processing programs. She's also a very capable artist. At home, she uses The GIMP.

“Meddle not in the affairs of the dragon; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.”
-unknown
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 22nd Nov 2006 at 2:02 PM
Thought people might appreciate another link to GIMP tutorials. I haven't tried them out yet, but a friend who Gimps says they're very good.

http://www.gimpguru.org/Tutorials/

“Meddle not in the affairs of the dragon; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.”
-unknown
Test Subject
#15 Old 31st Dec 2006 at 3:30 PM
Thanks very much for the link.. I have been looking for info on Gimp.
Test Subject
#16 Old 9th Apr 2007 at 12:17 AM
where do i find meshes to make formal dresses and shape and color that i want? and build them from scratch. i dont have photoshop but i do have gimp
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#17 Old 9th Apr 2007 at 12:20 AM
That's... not really too related to this tutorial, jupiter2005. But look in the Downloads section here - you can filter the downloads view to only new meshes. There are tons to choose from. You can also try the Where Can I Find forum, linked in my signature - post a picture of the outfit you're trying to make or one in the same shape and people may have recommendations of meshes you can use.

Making new meshes is really complicated, and you need to know how to recolour first.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Instructor
#18 Old 9th Apr 2007 at 5:35 PM
thanks for the links riverofjazz
Test Subject
#19 Old 23rd May 2007 at 10:31 AM
Default hey there guys!
Hey Y'all!
I need some help with the GIMP...

I'm trying to create white clothes, but I can't find the right white "tone" for it...it gets TOO white and the whole cloths texture disappear! Anyone know how to use white without that happening?

Thanx for the help!

- Andy

"Naivete is neither cute or funny"
Instructor
#20 Old 23rd May 2007 at 7:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by andyfrost
Hey Y'all!
I need some help with the GIMP...

I'm trying to create white clothes, but I can't find the right white "tone" for it...it gets TOO white and the whole cloths texture disappear! Anyone know how to use white without that happening?

Thanx for the help!

- Andy

well... if u cant get it from normal color choosing then click on the ones from the Swatch Panel.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#21 Old 24th May 2007 at 7:54 AM
Use pale gray instead of white. Look at all the 'white' clothing in game and you'll see it. Too light and the game lighting will wash out all detail. You can tint it with another color depending on the outfit, but anyway, just make it mostly gray. Then you can make some highlights on it slightly lighter gray and wrinkles/folds/shadows darker gray. You might also try adding noise if your recolor isn't work well in game.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#22 Old 10th Jun 2007 at 3:09 AM
Another site with tutorials of all sorts for gimp

http://gimpology.com/browse/category/Getting+Started

This is the getting started area, hit 'browse' and you can find other categories of tutorials for all sorts of things that can help you further master using gimp to its fullest

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Test Subject
#23 Old 18th Jun 2007 at 1:14 AM
Thank you for useful links, I use Gimp myself for creating and I find it very useful... And there isn't any problem with changing the format from jpg to bmp each time... Thanks again!

Vivat nostra civitas Mod The Sims 2, vivat, crescat, floreat!
Test Subject
#24 Old 1st Aug 2007 at 3:08 PM
Are there any risks to downloadig GIMP? I'm pretty new at this and I don't want to mess my computer up or anything like that.

Also, what does the program show you when you make and outfit? Is it just the flattened picture(like when you open it up in Windows Paint) or a 3-D image? I'm confused on how it works....
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#25 Old 2nd Aug 2007 at 11:57 AM
iluvorange357,

I'll start with the positive - GIMP and the RUNTIME for it (it's 2 things to download and install) is safe - people here are using it, we wouldn't list programs with bad stuff in them.

On the other hand, any webpage you open _could_ have some sort of problem, so be sure you use good anti-virus software on your computer. It's bad, and it's common. You still should not have problems with any of the main GIMP sites, it's a fine program, and most sites are also. (you're more likely to find spyware and such on the 'free' music sites)

All graphics are 2D - but you need a better program than PAINT to edit them and get real results, unless you want your personal sims to look like you hit them with buckets of paint. Layers, learning about shading, effects... it will take time to gain skills with the more complex programs, but they let you do things you can't do with paint.

This article, while in need of a bit of an update, gives an overview you might find useful - http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=80599

Page 1 of 2