Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 12:18 PM
Default Pets Spawners Not in CAW?
Seems that none of the animal spawners now in buydebug/fishing are available in CAW... I've searched repeatedly with the filter- wanting to just check that it's not just me overlooking stuff, anyone else noticed the lack?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 12:28 PM
Nope... they're not there.

I'm a little peeved about that, since they are available in Buydebug in the game. I really need to place them outside of lots in CAW...

Hopefully some skilled modder will be able to unlock them (and other missing Pets stuff) for use in CAW.

Might be interesting to see if there are any hidden spawners for Wild Horses, Deer and Stray Dogs/Cats as well... although it appears those will appear at random. Causes me some trouble as I'm making a world with a big city area, and I wanted to restrict wildlife to the rural parts of the map... but I suppose I'll have to get used to wild horses trotting along the skyscrapers downtown as well...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 12:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LeeMortis
Nope... they're not there.

I'm a little peeved about that, since they are available in Buydebug in the game. I really need to place them outside of lots in CAW...

Looks like also the 'ultimate spooky tree' isn't in CAW.

You'd think by now EA'd realize/care that people want to play with it ALL to create.
Retired
retired moderator
#4 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 4:44 PM
I raised this with SimGuruGraham and he said it shouldn't be the case, so it may be fixed.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 1:00 AM
Retired
retired moderator
#6 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 5:23 AM
The good news is we can transfer the Spawner_Pets layers from Appaloosa over to our worlds. I'm currently doing that and also nabbing the windmill effects and cat/mean eye effects that are meant to go in the mine entrance and hollow logs.

Test Subject
#7 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 6:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kiwi_tea
The good news is we can transfer the Spawner_Pets layers from Appaloosa over to our worlds. I'm currently doing that and also nabbing the windmill effects and cat/mean eye effects that are meant to go in the mine entrance and hollow logs.

Kiwi_tea:
How exactly do we do that? Is there a tutorial somewhere I can check out?
Retired
retired moderator
#8 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 6:12 AM
Yep, here you go: Importing objects from one world into another.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 10:50 AM
Glad it may be fixed by EA... fortunately current world is so far from done I can be a LITTLE patient.
Test Subject
#10 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 3:51 PM
Thanks kiwi_tea!
I just re-downloaded CAW and don't see those spawners so I'm not sure it's fixed.
Retired
retired moderator
#11 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 4:06 PM
Don't forget you can also create the animals anywhere in your world using Twallan's DebugEnabler and the "Create" command when you click the ground.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 5:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kiwi_tea

Good idea Kiwi- I take it this means you got appaloosa opened okay then?

The windmill effects were also used in Riverview, but the good thing is that this time you have an in-game Windmill Derrick instead of having to use the one from Riverview (which, just like the bridges and DT, have to be added as CC).
Test Subject
#13 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 8:13 PM Last edited by porphyria259 : 21st Oct 2011 at 10:54 PM.
I just decided to do something I know how to do and enabled them to show up in CAW (thanks to Simsamples tutorial!). It's just one file with all the minor pet spawners and the dog dig spot. Just slap em in the framework file for CAW and they should show up.
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  Porphyria_PetSpawners.7z (1.3 KB, 633 downloads) - View custom content
Retired
retired moderator
#14 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 11:15 PM Last edited by kiwi_tea : 21st Oct 2011 at 11:34 PM.
Nice work, porphyria259!

@Simsample: Opened like charm, got the game yesterday so finally got to test method 2. Had to nuke the population to save as usual, though.

Lab Assistant
#15 Old 22nd Oct 2011 at 9:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by porphyria259
I just decided to do something I know how to do and enabled them to show up in CAW (thanks to Simsamples tutorial!). It's just one file with all the minor pet spawners and the dog dig spot. Just slap em in the framework file for CAW and they should show up.

This is great. I added them yesterday and showed up in CAW.
Is quite funny though, because I don't have Pets yet until either today or Monday, they just show up in the Object list with their HEX numbers.
Try and load them into a world and an error message comes up.
Quite funny actually lol
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#16 Old 22nd Oct 2011 at 1:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LeeMortis
Causes me some trouble as I'm making a world with a big city area, and I wanted to restrict wildlife to the rural parts of the map...
Stray dogs and cats definitely don't restrict themselves to the rural parts of the map in real life. This has been an interesting note in the past, where cities have decided that the presence of these stray cats and dogs is unsightly and has them wiped out, only to then be overrun by rats and have to reimport more stray cats and dogs.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Theorist
#17 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 2:04 AM
Yeah, I saw the same question posted elsewhere and thought, "Doesn't it just figure?" EA actually releases a new CAW right away and it's missing the spawners! I thought they were showing signs of just a little too much competence with a new CAW that fully works this soon.

Anyway, porphyria259, thanks so much for fixing those up! It may be a month before I get to install Pets but since EA probably won't have it fixed even by then I have them. :D
Test Subject
#18 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 12:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by porphyria259

Great! Exactly what I was hoping someone would do.

Quote: Originally posted by J.M. Pescado
Stray dogs and cats definitely don't restrict themselves to the rural parts of the map in real life. This has been an interesting note in the past, where cities have decided that the presence of these stray cats and dogs is unsightly and has them wiped out, only to then be overrun by rats and have to reimport more stray cats and dogs.

Oh, I definitely agree. I was referring to the wildlife animals, meaning wild horses and deer. Stray cats and dogs aren't wildlife per se. I'm pretty sure you'll never see a pack of wild horses running down Broadway, NY.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#19 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 2:30 PM
Thanks for those, porphyria259!

My question is- do we need the spawners?

For example, people with pre-pets custom worlds are having wild animals show up just fine, without having placed spawners. So what I'd like to know is, do we really need to place spawners in a world? Perhaps they just allow us to control what animals show up where. Appaloosa has lots of spawners so surely they wouldn't have been placed if unnecessary? If we place spawners in Bridgeport will the wild animals spawn there, in a city? Hmm, I need more free time to find out!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 3:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Thanks for those, porphyria259!

My question is- do we need the spawners?

For example, people with pre-pets custom worlds are having wild animals show up just fine, without having placed spawners. So what I'd like to know is, do we really need to place spawners in a world? Perhaps they just allow us to control what animals show up where. Appaloosa has lots of spawners so surely they wouldn't have been placed if unnecessary? If we place spawners in Bridgeport will the wild animals spawn there, in a city? Hmm, I need more free time to find out!

I think the spawners are for pets to hunt with/people to watch rarer animals/catch them. Not entirely positive on this though.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#21 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 3:25 PM
I do NOT want deer in Bridgeport, thank you

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 5:34 PM
You mean Bridgeport has enough routing errors without Sims hitting deer with their cars all the time? NONSENSE!
Test Subject
#23 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 8:39 PM
The spawners are for the 'minor' pets like lizards and snakes and stuff. I don't know if those populate automatically in those pre-pets worlds. I thought having them would be neat for custom worlds to place specifically like snake spawners near a rock outcropping or bird spawners in a forest.

I don't think I like the idea of deer in my city either. I don't mind the other animals I suppose because that's more true to life. But deer in a city?
Hopefully someone finds out how to edit where they show up at. That'd be cool.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#24 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 9:57 PM
bakafox and porphyria259, thanks for the clarification! You can tell how much I've managed to play pets so far! :D
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 10:02 PM
Anyone have any ideas what the spawners are called in CAW comparable to the names in-game?
I can't figure out which spawner is which.
Same goes for the dig point for dogs. Which one is that in CAW?
Any ideas?
Page 1 of 4