Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#27 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 5:10 PM Last edited by HCAC : 12th Nov 2016 at 12:08 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by PlatinumPlumbbob
Yea, I see domestic drama is brewing already.

And I really like how you captured the thought bubble in there and fit in with the script. Did you command the Sims to talk about crime, or did they spontaneously talk about crime?

Thanks for the comments. I was sort of thinking I'd stop writing this or just end it because I'm bored and didn't get many comments.

I usually take a lot of photos with an idea of where I want the story to go. Then I incorporate what happens in the photos to fit the storyline.

Note to readers: This story has taken a weird turn. The Life of Laura seems to be more about "other characters" as Laura observes them.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#28 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 7:01 PM
I don't comment on this, I know (and I should), but I DO read this. Poor Laura ... stuck in the middle of this!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Test Subject
#29 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 7:14 PM
This story seems interesting. Let's give it a read!
Field Researcher
#31 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 10:25 PM
Please finish it! I love reading this story!
Test Subject
#32 Old 17th Oct 2016 at 2:12 AM
I just read the entire story starting yesterday and I love it! Came back today to check for more chapters because I really want to know what happens to Laura next. I'm also interested in the characters she interacts with. They are all part of Laura's life.

I think you are very talented and have the imagination it takes to carry out this story for a long time to come. Laura is just a youngster after all, she has the rest of her life ahead of her. Please write more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#33 Old 17th Oct 2016 at 1:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by magpie56
I just read the entire story starting yesterday and I love it! Came back today to check for more chapters because I really want to know what happens to Laura next. I'm also interested in the characters she interacts with. They are all part of Laura's life.

I think you are very talented and have the imagination it takes to carry out this story for a long time to come. Laura is just a youngster after all, she has the rest of her life ahead of her. Please write more!

I love you guys...I mean it. It's always been my dream to be a writer, and I know I am not the best in the world but your words (positive or negative) mean so much. It's "just a Sims story" but it's also great for me to keep creative, keep my hand in the writing world that I always felt a part of since I was a young child. Writing and having feedback inspires me to keep going while(whilst) my life is kind of bleak now.

Thank you for taking the time out to say something. I hope I can have something for you by the end of the week. I'm kind of busy in the real world mentoring my son, having a few health problems and dealing with reality but thanks, again... I was thinking the other day what should happen next and working out a few scenarios.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Inventor
#34 Old 17th Oct 2016 at 4:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HCAC
I was thinking the other day what should happen next and working out a few scenarios.

Is your fat heroine going to become slim with all that stair climbing? Will she get an invitation to visit her old friend abroad? Will her evil employer try to seduce her? Will her mother be humbled by destitution after her suitor makes off with all her money and goods? Any way, I'm looking forward to the next episode.
Theorist
Original Poster
#35 Old 17th Oct 2016 at 4:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by music2ologist
Is your fat heroine going to become slim with all that stair climbing? Will she get an invitation to visit her old friend abroad? Will her evil employer try to seduce her? Will her mother be humbled by destitution after her suitor makes off with all her money and goods? Any way, I'm looking forward to the next episode.

Love it!

Mad Poster
#36 Old 17th Oct 2016 at 6:52 PM
I doubt her evil employer would try to seduce her (he seems a little too much in love with his ego, but you never know!), but i do see Laura losing a few pounds (not becoming model-thin, but dropping some weight) just from chasing that cute kid around. Chasing after a toddler can be quite vigorous! Maybe I should babysit someone's toddler myself. I could definitely afford to lose a couple of pounds.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Test Subject
#37 Old 18th Oct 2016 at 4:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HCAC
I love you guys...I mean it. It's always been my dream to be a writer, and I know I am not the best in the world but your words (positive or negative) mean so much. It's "just a Sims story" but it's also great for me to keep creative, keep my hand in the writing world that I always felt a part of since I was a young child. Writing and having feedback inspires me to keep going while(whilst) my life is kind of bleak now.

Thank you for taking the time out to say something. I hope I can have something for you by the end of the week. I'm kind of busy in the real world mentoring my son, having a few health problems and dealing with reality but thanks, again... I was thinking the other day what should happen next and working out a few scenarios.

I'm so glad you've decided to carry on with the story! Although I'm older and didn't come from money, I can identify with Laura and I really care about her. Just take your time, no pressure, because your son is 1st place when it comes to the necessities of life. Take care of yourself and enjoy your writing. To me, it's not just a Sims story. I love The Sims and it's an important part of all of our lives or we wouldn't be here!
Theorist
Original Poster
#38 Old 19th Oct 2016 at 6:43 PM Last edited by HCAC : 16th Nov 2016 at 2:23 AM.
Default Chapter 16--Hard Truths

The rest of the night was oddly quiet. I spent it in the nursery trying to contact Leon but the network had been disabled. Tucking Trevor in his crib, I sank down onto my own bed and tried to read and fell asleep. About midnight I heard screaming and rushing around outside in the hallway.

"I WAAAANT MY BABY!!" shouted Betsy. "Get out of the way, Richard."

"Laura, open the door! Please, open the door," pleaded Betsy pounding on the oak door. Her voice was desperate and oddly slurred. "I'm your friend."

"Do not open that door, Laura!" ordered Doctor Samuel. "Betsy, you must come away from there."

Trevor began sobbing quietly. I always wondered that there was something wrong with him and these tensions seemed to amplify his disorder. I tried to comfort him and he clung to me like a baby monkey, wide eyes and trembling.

"I want to see my son. I told you outside, I'm getting out of this jail."

"Betsy, what did you take?" Doctor Samuel had his voice low but I could hear him.

"Wouldn't you like to know," she replied. I heard a noise like someone falling down. A curse word and weird laugh.

"If you don't calm down, I'm calling Cousin Arthur. We're going to put you into Pleasantville Retreat again." Doctor Samuel didn't sound hard or angry, just very sad and worried.

"I just want to see my baby," insisted Betsy.

"No, my dear, your can't--"

"Just let me see him!" she squealed in a demented voice.

"Laura, open the door," directed Doctor Samuel. I turned the lock and he stepped inside holding Betsy by the arm.

Betsy rushed in. Trevor clung to me and she grew angry.

"Of course you're on his side now," she snarled. "Trevor come to your Mama."

"No, Betsy, you're not in any state to hold the baby." Richard was adamant.

"I HATE you all!" she shouted. Then she turned to Richard. "John is coming tonight. I'm leaving with my baby. I emailed him just now."

Doctor Samuel shook his head slowly. "Why do you do this, Betsy? I've tried and tried to help you. I thought if we just got away from Vermont, found you a purpose you'd be all right."

"So I owe you for all this?" She waved her hand around the room and I could see her hand shaking. "I was just trash you picked up and experimented with and tried to redeem. Well, John likes me the way I am!" She whirled around and nearly fell over but Doctor Samuel caught her.

Trevor was crying again. Betsy laughed her strange laugh and then muttered, "I'm so tired."

He took her from the room and gestured to me the lock the door. Trevor fell asleep, exhausted. I stayed up for hours worrying about what I had just heard and seen. What was wrong with Betsy? What was Pleasantville Retreat?

Theorist
Original Poster
#39 Old 20th Oct 2016 at 7:29 PM
Default Chapter 17--Fatal Flaw
I still couldn't sleep and the clock face read 5 am. I grabbed a bunch of clean clothes and crept out of the nursery, making sure the baby monitor was on full volume. Slowly I walked down to the second floor bathroom, had a quick shower and dressed. My plan was go and get a bowl of cereal and have breakfast before anyone woke up--it would be an awkward and upsetting morning and I wanted to avoid everyone. I'd tell the Samuels I had a headache and spend the rest of the day planning how I could quit and get back to my town. College was only a few weeks away now and I would plead with my mother if I had to so I could go home.

The light in the living room was dimmed so I could hardly see anything. I thought it might be Betsy sleeping on the sofa which she would do occasionally when she wasn't feeling well. I went inside. I was glad she was resting at last and not acting out. The room was cold for August and I thought I would put a sheet over her.

Then I saw the needle and drugs next to the sofa. I screamed and screamed.

She was dead.

Instructor
#40 Old 20th Oct 2016 at 8:14 PM
Wow I loved that ending. Wasn't expecting that at all. Keep up the good work!

Formally known as TotallySimsCrazy. Still addicted to custom content.
Simblr
Theorist
Original Poster
#41 Old 20th Oct 2016 at 8:24 PM
I really took it in another direction. More coming when I can get all the photos done. Sorry these last chapters are so short.

Test Subject
#42 Old 23rd Oct 2016 at 3:39 AM
I was so excited and pleased to see you had written more. It's so exciting! I never thought about Betsy being into drugs, she seemed so normal. i was shocked earlier however to see she was having an affair, but how dramatic! Can't wait to see what happens next! Maybe Richard is not such a mean husband after all. Maybe he knows of his wife's bad habit. I'll be tuning back in as soon as you write more! Thank you!
Theorist
Original Poster
#43 Old 11th Nov 2016 at 2:13 PM
Default THE LIFE OF LAURA--CHAPTER 18--The Ugly Truth

Doctor Samuel rushed in the room and grabbed my arm.

"Stop it, stop! Why are you screaming?" he demanded, dragging me into the adjoining room.

"She's dead--Betsy's dead!" I heard myself saying.

"Laura, calm down! She's just sedated--I gave her something to relax. Whatever she took yesterday was very potent, very strong. She was delusional and ranting for hours. I thought she'd hurt herself, or Trevor, or you."

"What do you mean she took something?" I demanded stupidly. "Betsy doesn't use drugs. You did it, you killed her!"

He sighed. "Please, Laura, let me explain once and for all."

"I don't want to hear your lies! She was unhappy because you're mean, you're controlling, and you probably drugged her to keep her from going off with John."

He flinched at the mention of John Hazen.

"Yes, John," he said quietly.

"All you care about is your reputation, your money, your huge house. Betsy told me the whole thing. She said she was unhappy but you and Hunt schemed to keep her here."

"Will you please sit down and let me explain?" he asked. "I think you might like to hear another side of this story and then make your accusations."

I took a chair at the table and so did he.

"When I was up in Burlington Vermont, four years ago, I had a medical seminar at the hospital there. While in the area, I was invited to stay with my college friend, Jefferson Dunn who had a legal practice not far outside the city in a small town. It was thriving and he was proud to show me how well he'd done, since his family were not wealthy or influencial. He also did good works in the community--a lot of pro bono service. At the office, I met Betsy who performed administrative and simple paralegal tasks. Jefferson was somehow related to her, you know small towns, and she often called him her uncle. I was immediately interested in her, but Jeff warned me off. He said she had a rough boyfriend and lived in a bad part of town. Apparently, the boyfriend had been in and out of jail for years, but Betsy wouldn't give him up. I tried to listen to my good friend but there was such a strong pull--something drew me to her.

I nodded but was silent and he continued in a heartfelt voice.

"A night or two later, the seminar over, I planned the next day to return to Boston. After going out to dinner with Jeff, I packed and went to bed because I had an early flight home. About four am he ran inside my room. Betsy had called him in a panic. Her boyfriend had overdosed on something. She knew I was an out- of -town doctor and Betsy begged him to have me come over to look at the man. Hazen was already on probation for several offenses and because she was connected with him, she might also wind up in prison. So I went with Jefferson to this run-down log cabin in the middle of some awful woods where there were tires and rubbish piled all over the yard. Inside this heap I found the man was unconscious and Betsy in anguish."

"Laura, they were both drug addicts. The man survived but I wasn't able to do anything about keeping him out of jail. Nor did I want to. He had to go to the local hospital and the sheriff was already alerted by someone he cheated in a deal. The police swarmed on the house--it was searched and Hazen arrested at the hospital. With Cousin Arthur's help I got Betsy into a treatment program in Boston and once she was sober again, she found work at one of Arthur's companies. She never faced any criminal charges thanks to Arthur's excellent attorneys. We began to date and married the year later. I felt if we avoided Vermont and stayed on what I thought was the right path she would be well and happy with me. Hazen went to prison for possession and dealing and Betsy had nothing to do with him until about six months ago when he was released."

"One morning I was in my office and she had left her email open and I read it. I was always worried because she had slip ups a lot. Not overdoses but she had some very black moods and a lot of depression after Trevor was born. Her doctors worried she would rebound and kept her on a low dose anxiety medicine with my approval and hers. But we often seek the things that are the worst for us, and while did my best to give her a normal, stable life, she was chasing after her guitar playing ex."

"What you saw last night was the culmination of me having her followed by one of Cousin Arthur's associates. He knows everyone, including detectives. She wasn't going to study group anymore, she wasn't interested in being a lawyer as we both discussed. She didn't appreciate Arthur and I hired a nice young lady from a good family as a nanny to give her less stress from the baby and more free time."

He smiled at me weakly.

"Instead she wanted him. And, yes, Hazen was still into that whole lifestyle." Doctor Samuel stood up as the phone rang in his pocket.

"What's going to happen to Betsy?" I asked in a whisper.

"I phoned Arthur last night after Betsy fell asleep. We'll put her in treatment, again." Doctor Samuel sighed and I think I saw tears in his eyes.

Turning sharply and pulling the phone from his jacket pocket he said sharply,

"Hello, yes, this is Doctor Samuel. Yes, yes." Then he walked away and I sat there alone.

After what seemed forever, I roused myself. I had to take care of Trevor. Slipping upstairs and not looking at Betsy, I walked passed Doctor Samuel's office to get to the next staircase which led to the third floor. The door was closed but that didn't stop me from hearing the sound from behind the barrier.

He was crying as if his heart was breaking.

Test Subject
#44 Old 16th Nov 2016 at 8:24 PM
HCAC.... Thank you so much for Chapter 18! I understand a lot more now about the relationship with Betsy and her husband. It seems Dr. Samuel is not the monster that Betsy claims he is. There are 2 sides to this couple's story. Poor little Trevor caught in the middle of this unhappy home life of his parents, it's sad for the little fellow. What will Laura do now? I can't wait to find out!
Theorist
Original Poster
#45 Old 16th Nov 2016 at 9:24 PM Last edited by HCAC : 16th Nov 2016 at 9:55 PM.
HCAC.... Thank you so much for Chapter 18! I understand a lot more now about the relationship with Betsy and her husband. It seems Dr. Samuel is not the monster that Betsy claims he is. There are 2 sides to this couple's story. Poor little Trevor caught in the middle of this unhappy home life of his parents, it's sad for the little fellow. What will Laura do now? I can't wait to find out!

Thank you for the feedback. It helps so much if people just say something.

I've actually been re-reading this so I can make sure I'm consistent and get some ideas and bring the story full circle.

Cousin Arthur "advises President Trumf" (I wrote that back in April). Pretty funny prediction.

Theorist
Original Poster
#46 Old 23rd Nov 2016 at 1:37 AM
Default Chapter 19--Family Implosions
PART I

CASH (aka Cousin Arthur) had arranged for Betsy to be admitted to Serenity Meadows, a treatment center an hour North of Boston outside Nashua, NH. It would be close enough to allow Richard to visit frequently and monitor her care and not leave me and Trevor home alone too long.

The following morning we were driving up there to meet with Cousin Arthur at the facility and supervise everything was acceptable to Doctor Samuel.

“It would be less awkward,” he said shortly, buckling Trevor in his car seat.

I think he meant Betsy would be less likely to act out with both me and Cousin Arthur in tow.

Before heading north, we dropped Trevor off in a wealthy area of Boston called Beacon Hill. Mrs. Samuel, Richard’s mother, and her elder sister occupied the house which had been where he’d spent most of his childhood.

A tall woman in a nurse’s outfit met us as soon as the car reached the top of the gravel drive. She was his mother’s caregiver, explained Doctor Samuel ever since Mrs. Samuel had suffered a stroke two years ago, and still lived in the home to assist both Mrs. Louisa Samuel and Aunt Priscilla.

Doctor Samuel deftly opened the door, then went around and handed Trevor to the nurse along with a baby bag.

“Thank you. Mrs. Briggs,” he said. “Trevor be a good boy and go see Granny and Auntie P.”

Trevor’s blue eyes widened and he stared at me through the car window.

“Laura! Laura! Want Laura,” he whimpered but the nurse turned and walked up to the house and closed the door.

Silently, we made our way back to the highway. I wanted to cry. Poor Trevor was bounced around like a ball from person to person in his short life. For the rest of the trip, I stared outside at the green trees and watched the landscape climb up into mountains littered with pine trees. This was not how I was supposed to spend my summer before college. How long ago high school seemed and my childish, carefree days.

PART 2

“Cousin Arthur says this is one of the best facilities,” said Doctor Samuels as we sat in the lobby waiting for CASH to arrive. He was trying very hard to stay in control of his emotions and I felt a bit strange having heard him crying last night.

"It's beautiful in here, " I replied. "I hope they'll be able to help Betsy get well."

"She has to want to get well," he answered, a sad look crossed his face briefly. We continued to sit in silence until the door opened to the reception room and CASH walked in.

Doctor Samuel jumped up and approached his cousin quickly and shook his hand.

"Thank you, Arthur for everything."

CASH scowled. "This is costing me a lot of money, Richard, again. I do hope you realize that. Not only am I footing the bill for your wife's latest disaster, I'm losing money not tending to business. I really don't have time to be away from Manhattan just now."

"I said thank you, Arthur," replied Doctor Samuel in a strained voice. "I'm sorry, I'll pay you back as soon as I get on an even footing. The house alone--

"Your wife was supposed to start earning to help with that," CASH said. "She's been nothing but a drain. I told you before you married her you were making a mistake. And your boy, where is he?"

"At my mother's."

"He is a perfect example of why you don't marry a drug user, Richard. That boy is not right in the head and you know it. As a medical man you must realize-"

"Arthur, enough!" Doctor Samuel pointed to me over at the sofa.

"Hello, Laura," said CASH, sitting down next to me. "I know you must find this situation distressing. But as a young person you can see what happens if one puts personal gratification and selfish passions ahead of family--the world spins out of control and that person spins with it."

I think he meant Betsy but he was glaring at Richard.

Test Subject
#47 Old 23rd Nov 2016 at 3:49 AM
HCAC, I was delighted to come here today and find you had written yet another chapter! Poor little Trevor. He needs a constant in his little life and Laura is the only one he feels he can depend on now. My heart broke for him as he cried out for Laura.

Great job and I look forward to your next Chapter!
Theorist
Original Poster
#48 Old 23rd Nov 2016 at 12:06 PM
HCAC, I was delighted to come here today and find you had written yet another chapter! Poor little Trevor. He needs a constant in his little life and Laura is the only one he feels he can depend on now. My heart broke for him as he cried out for Laura.

Great job and I look forward to your next Chapter!

Thanks...I should re-read it as I wrote it kind of late last night while editing the photos. I'm sure I have a bunch of typos. I do appreciate you take the time to write feedback because (as anyone who writes) it is time consuming but I don't want to abandon Laura just yet.

On a side note about the story, don't you LOVE how "Cousin Arthur" has turned against Richard now?

Test Subject
#49 Old 23rd Nov 2016 at 10:51 PM
I'm glad you asked! The way I see Cousin Arthur is that he just wants to tell everyone how to run their life. He's a very opinionated man, an influencer who thinks he knows everything and doesn't mind blurting out his opinions as long as it suits his desires for the moment. He likes to keep people "under his thumb" so he can use them for his own benefit. Not a very nice man at all! I wonder how things are going between CASH and Laura's mother right about now too. She is so in awe of him AND his money.
Theorist
Original Poster
#50 Old 24th Nov 2016 at 2:42 PM
I'm glad you asked! The way I see Cousin Arthur is that he just wants to tell everyone how to run their life. He's a very opinionated man, an influencer who thinks he knows everything and doesn't mind blurting out his opinions as long as it suits his desires for the moment. He likes to keep people "under his thumb" so he can use them for his own benefit. Not a very nice man at all! I wonder how things are going between CASH and Laura's mother right about now too. She is so in awe of him AND his money.

Yes, well the future will tell....

Page 2 of 3