Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Oct 2018 at 9:21 AM
Default I need help in decorating a house.
Hello. I ask all of you creative simmers out there to help me in decorating my stark and tedious house. I'm not good with decorating and I tend to make things black and edgy(Because I'm still in the phase). That being said, I haven't discovered all the wall paints, decorations, floors, and other things in build mode and buy mode because of that thus dulling my creativity. I have a picture of the house that I am currently decorating. It's a pre-built house from the game.

Are you a contestant on Papa Chet's Pizza Pandemonium?
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 24th Oct 2018 at 9:33 AM
I would start by looking in collections, they are organized into sets.

Decide if your house is going to be modern, country, traditional, something else.

Who is the house for? What is their personality?

What colours do you like?

Is this to be cc free?

Those bedrooms are long and narrow, you have room to add other smaller rooms. For example nursery, office, craft room, walk-in dressing room. Decorating is harder with large spaces unless you have a specific idea.

Looking at pictures, online or houses uploaded here can give you ideas.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 24th Oct 2018 at 1:45 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 24th Oct 2018 at 2:03 PM.
Those windows might need some curtains. Also, , the long bedrooms could use a that privacy-shade deco item.

I can't really help you do your homework, but I can give you a tip: Wherever I need something to cover up a space against a wall, I leave at least a 2-3 square empty gap between objects. That ought to help you.

Also, using 45-angle-placement cheat helps.

Also, click the buy mode sorting catalog by room instead. This might give you an idea what bedrooms in particulary like these needs (assuming from the screenshot that's what you're making them off). Thing that comes to mind is a dresser and by the side of those beds end tables that are missing. A desk in either one of the bedrooms would help in filling up the unoccupied territority (though in vanilla gameplay it may prove to be impractical, as sim have a craze to play video games on them and thus wake up the sleeping sim(s).). Or as the person above me suggested (well, I forgot the name, so me humiliated), split the bedrooms into one more, which both could serve as bathrooms in each bedroom. Aesthetical (real life houses include those) and practical (would take sims from different bedrooms head through one door to reach their respective bathrooms without having to share/hog).

As for deco section of buy mode that imo is a huge mess in terms of organize, I would download the custom sorting reorganization thing from here, which I would really wish I could link it right now If I weren't on the phone.

ETA: Or If you're anyone like Bulbizarre (did I spell it right?), include a sofa for the audience to enjoy entertaining themselves of the showplay when ACR kicks between partners.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Scholar
#4 Old 24th Oct 2018 at 7:27 PM
Look at some videos on YouTube, like JessaChannel or JodelieJodelie. That has helped me tremendously.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Mad Poster
#5 Old 25th Oct 2018 at 3:00 AM
Looks fine to me.

I need to decorate my houses more.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 25th Oct 2018 at 4:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Those windows might need some curtains. Also, , the long bedrooms could use a that privacy-shade deco item.

I can't really help you do your homework, but I can give you a tip: Wherever I need something to cover up a space against a wall, I leave at least a 2-3 square empty gap between objects. That ought to help you.

Also, using 45-angle-placement cheat helps.

Also, click the buy mode sorting catalog by room instead. This might give you an idea what bedrooms in particulary like these needs (assuming from the screenshot that's what you're making them off). Thing that comes to mind is a dresser and by the side of those beds end tables that are missing. A desk in either one of the bedrooms would help in filling up the unoccupied territority (though in vanilla gameplay it may prove to be impractical, as sim have a craze to play video games on them and thus wake up the sleeping sim(s).). Or as the person above me suggested (well, I forgot the name, so me humiliated), split the bedrooms into one more, which both could serve as bathrooms in each bedroom. Aesthetical (real life houses include those) and practical (would take sims from different bedrooms head through one door to reach their respective bathrooms without having to share/hog).

As for deco section of buy mode that imo is a huge mess in terms of organize, I would download the custom sorting reorganization thing from here, which I would really wish I could link it right now If I weren't on the phone.

ETA: Or If you're anyone like Bulbizarre (did I spell it right?), include a sofa for the audience to enjoy entertaining themselves of the showplay when ACR kicks between partners.

I appreciate it very much. Thank you all for helping. I should be doing my thesis but I'm procrastinating lol. Here's my progress so far(Haven't done anything yet):

Mad Poster
#7 Old 25th Oct 2018 at 4:50 AM
How about just looking around your world? What's in YOUR bedroom, bathroom, etc. There is probably a closet, maybe a dresser, lamps, bookcase? TV?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Forum Resident
#8 Old 25th Oct 2018 at 5:12 AM
Pick a color, like green. Do an image search for "green bedroom". You'll get lots of ideas on stuff like colors to use, what types of furniture to put in the room, decor. You could even search for "narrow bedroom" and get ideas of how to fill a long narrow room.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 25th Oct 2018 at 6:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SciBirg
Look at some videos on YouTube, like JessaChannel or JodelieJodelie. That has helped me tremendously.

And although his videos are exclusive for TS4, you can always check out The Sim Supply (James Tuner) channel on youtube.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Scholar
#10 Old 25th Oct 2018 at 8:34 AM
This post is very step by step and helpful (though mostly for small spaces):

http://littlelittlesimmies.tumblr.c...chen-in-a-small

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 25th Oct 2018 at 10:02 AM
Default All replies are very appreciated.
Thank you for all your guidance. Grammapat, I followed what you said and I found a lot of amazing things. Including this:
Anyway, this is my progress so far:

Instructor
#12 Old 25th Oct 2018 at 5:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
And although his videos are exclusive for TS4, you can always check out The Sim Supply (James Tuner) channel on youtube.

I love Semaj's videos and I learnt a lot from watching him build, even if he builds in TS4 (PRO TIP: he actually has one TS2 Let's Build, check it out! Tropical Getaway). He builds in a variety of different styles, I think you'll like something. And you'll definitely improve your decorating skills. At least I know I have. My last build for the Apartment Mania contest was heavily influenced by Semaj's contemporary builds, I don't think I would ever be able to build something like that had I not watched pretty much every single Let's Build he's done lol.

That reminds me. I should probably stop my Sims hiatus and start playing again

EDIT: Just saw your latest pic. Looking good, keep it up! I think the rooms are still too big, though, I would suggest either breaking them up into walk-in closets or ensuites or divide them into extra rooms altogether.

Nice Rachel we're having.
My C:Simblr!
Mad Poster
#13 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 9:48 AM
You have room for all the bedrooms you need upstairs. You could turn the one-story portion of the building into a garage.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 2:57 PM
Yeah! Thanks, Peni! I was considering that but I was hesitating. I added fireplaces at the second story but I think they look out of place. What should I add instead? Any suggestions?

Mad Poster
#15 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 10:10 PM
What I always do when remaking a house, if I don't want to change the footprint, is gut it - remove all the interior walls and stairs - and then place furniture, either the stuff the family I'm building for will need, or random placeholder stuff. Arrange everything as if it's to be used, then draw in the rooms defined by the furniture.

In a house this size, you'll want all the bedrooms on the top floor, and less private spaces downstairs. You'll need at least one full bath (probably two, maybe three) upstairs and a half bath downstairs. Everyone needs a kitchen and in a house this size you'll also want a dining room. Think about the kind of family who would buy this house, if you don't have a specific family in mind.

Something this size is only necessary if you have a large family, if you're consuming conspicuously, or if you like to throw parties. A large family will likely have a nursery, living area, dining area, and maybe a den on the lower floor, and lots of bedrooms (which could double as studies, playrooms, etc.) upstairs. They may also want a two-car garage, more than one staircase to reduce routing conflicts, plenty of room for toys and pets to run around in, and a finish-out that's durable first and pretty second . Conspicuous consumers would want a grand entrance, maybe an imposing staircase, a professionally decorated finish with lots of lavish details and artwork, a two- or even three-car garage. Partiers would be maximizing their social space - open plan downstairs with easy flow between kitchen, dining room, living area, and pool, group activities like mah jong and billiards, a bar, buffet, barbeque area, and so on.

You'll find it's much, much easier to design and decorate a house when you envision a particular family living in it.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 27th Oct 2018 at 4:48 AM
Greatly appreciated, sister!