Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 12:15 AM
Default That's got to be a bump map. An eeeeeevil bump map. Halp!
Bleargh... just... look at this:

Delphy appears to be under the opinion that that's not a bump map, but rather the mesh. I'm pretty sure that's a bump map. When I examine the shirt closely, I don't see any raised areas on the mesh.

*If* there are bump maps, CTU does not export them.

This leaves me quite stuck on this shirt I'm trying to create; I'm trying to make a sleeveless tube-top sort of thing, but that doesn't really work out all that well when you have this stupid raised area in the middle of the shirt.

So...

-Can anyone confirm the existence or non-existence of bump maps in TS3?
-If there are bump maps, does anyone know a way to kill 'em dead in custom clothing?
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 3:04 AM
Every TS3 mesh file I have seen has "bumpmap" (tangent) normals in it, although I am not sure they all have bumpmaps.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 3:13 AM
If you find the bumpmaps you can just fill if with grey (RGB 128.128.128) for a no bump map..

I just took a look at the files with Postal. There are bumpmaps. What is the resource type? and instance :3
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 4:01 AM
The Resource is 00B2D882, just like with every other image file. The Instances for the other image files that make up the top are 7197603AAB7ECE06 and 7197603AAB7ECE18.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 4:16 AM
i haven't taken the time really iron out my ideas but my plan of attack on all texture projects are to replace the clothing specular and then the multiplier. off the top of my head i cant think of what would actually effect the bump maps but I'm just saying that, this is what i change and I've never had a problem with bump maps showing up unless i edit the file for a second time then it all goes crazy and i have to start a whole new file...

Andrew Shields My personal portfolio

Andrew Shields Facebook Page <3
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 2:19 PM
Hey, I went looking through the files, and there are two other files for that shirt. The bump map is 7197603AAB7EC1B, and the other one i assume is a spectral map? 7197603AAB7EC14..

It's in FullBuild02.package
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 5:56 PM
I have just succesfully over-ridden a default bump map.

As Miniie suggests, they are all in FullBuild02.package (Thanks for that )

I used postal to search for the files with the same name as the mesh I am working on, then previewed them until I found the one that looks like an embossed image.

Exporting as a DDS, editing it, and then importing it into a blank package using the original instance gave me a package file which over-rides the default.

I still need to work on how to produce a non-default, but at least I have now gotten rid of some very annoying bumps and the originals don't seem any worse for it.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 6:12 PM
RoguePilot (or anyone else who's successfully changed a bumpmap), what format did you save the bumpmap as?

Every time I've attempted to redo the bumpmap of the skintones they've ended up either turning the entire thing blurry beyond words, or have a really messed up 'glowing' effect not unlike what happens with TS2 files where you change a bumpmap image via simpe.

I've been using S3PE, and I'm pretty sure I've gone through all the DXT formats.

you stare at my shoulders
are you surprised to see one more devil 
where angel wings should be..?
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 6:14 PM
Hi, the bumpmap has an alpha channel and must be saved as DXT5.

You may have to edit both layers depending on the effect you are looking for.

Not sure what would happen if you lost the alpha entirely.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#10 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 7:17 PM Last edited by HystericalParoxysm : 9th Jul 2009 at 7:45 PM.
Format I think will depend on what the original is. I'm looking at the format of the aftopbrabikini in WTV, and for that one it's listed as "16 bit-A8L8"

In Photoshop, that appears to be the "8.8 AL 16 bpp alpha/luminance" setting.

It looks like the RGB channels are greyscale which provide the top/left bump, and the alpha does the bottom/right.

In short, bump maps for TS3 look like a giant pain in the ass to make.

Edit: After taking a look with Delphy, we've found that the only places the bump maps for clothing are referenced appears to be -on the mesh itself-. This means that it's not possible to make a unique bump map for a CASPart, and is confirmed by looking at the way the game splits up things that could easily share a mesh (for example, the tie bikini and the ring bikini). This -sucks- as it means to retexture a mesh, right now you'd have to do a default replacement of the bump map to make it blank. That is, until we find out how to make new meshes - but even then, you'd basically just have to duplicate the whole dang SIMGEOM set (all three LODs, I think!) just to reference one stinkin' texture file.

If I had a dollar for every time I went, "Why the hell did they do it that way?!" ...

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#11 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 7:47 PM
Yes, like HP said, it's nothing in the CAS part - it's attached to the mesh itself.

Basically, the geometry files have 4 texture references at the end:
haloMap
diffuseMap
bumpMap
specularMap

The haloMap and bumpMap are not referenced by the CAS Part at all (and I have not seen any way they can be), but are instead directly part of the mesh.

So, as HP says, the only way you can get rid of them is to default replace the bumpmap for that particular mesh in the game.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 11:12 PM
well after reading all this and running into a bumpmap problem recently after i said i never have (o the irony) I'm looking to replace the mesh bump map. only problem is there's no option to import over the existing bumpmap in postal, its all grayed out. does anyone have any idea?

Andrew Shields My personal portfolio

Andrew Shields Facebook Page <3
Sir Not Appearing In This Film
#13 Old 10th Jul 2009 at 4:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Forwardmotionis
well after reading all this and running into a bumpmap problem recently after i said i never have (o the irony) I'm looking to replace the mesh bump map. only problem is there's no option to import over the existing bumpmap in postal, its all grayed out. does anyone have any idea?

You make a new package file, import your new bumpmap into it making sure to use the SAME refrence instance #, then save.
Scholar
#14 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 12:51 AM
I've been having a problem with a dress too, I tried to change the alpha to be plain on the tank dress, I couldn't work out why I just couldn't get rid of the pleats, no matter what I did and the neckline still shows through. I did this about five times today and I'm sure I didn't miss a single instruction, could this be a bump map problem too. I did another post on it but this seems to be where people are talking about it
Screenshots