Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jan 2014 at 3:33 PM
Default Just a comparison.
My new toy R9-290X got black screen from Elpida RAM chip , So now I try to play Sims 3 on Intel HD4000 with my rig on signature.

It's playable on max setting 1080p monitor with 12-13FPS.
Yes I know 12-13FPS is like joke in first person shooter game but not Sims !
No lag at all just some slow motion.
Lower resolution like 1366 x 768 give me ~20FPS. again perfectly playable !! (but surely not in first person shooter game lol.)

Compare to my laptop with i5-3210M and discrete graphic Radeon HD7670M.
The HD7670M is far more superior than Intel HD4000.
With 30-40FPS but lag like hell WTF ?!

My PC and Laptop run Sims 3 all expansion with SAME Mods / SAME Custom Content / SAME Saves Game.

So the different is
1. 3770K is quad cores with HT , 3210M is dual cores with HT
2. My PC use SSD for Windows and Sims but Laptop use HDD.

Either true quad cores CPU or SSD is necessary to play Sims , Graphics Card don't matter.
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
#2 Old 3rd Jan 2014 at 6:08 AM
Yes, well, if you wanna compare GPUs, it would be better with the same exact CPU.
Which is why all benchmarking reviewers use the same Rigs and just swap out the component the review is about. That way we get a true comparison since we have established a baseline.

Sims has always been CPU-bias instead of GPU-bias. And the more packs one has, the more it needs more RAM and a 64-bit OS. So, all that hype about running Sims on my Grandma's PC is crapola-PR-spin. And they are still using this spin for Sims 4! Everybody should write in to EA now(!!) to tell them not to give us a lie of a useless hyped-up Systems Requirements for TS4 as they did for previous Sims series.

Thanks for sharing the results...anyways. Albeit not exactly unexpected, with what we know about processor hierarchy, for an i7-3770K @3.5 GHz vs an i5-3210M @2.5GHz.