Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#101 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 1:13 AM
Teko I certainly would not want to imply that I think if a forum is being used it means the tool is bad. But here I'm in agreement with PB...people should have a link to the forum that doesn't require downloading the tool itself so they can read there before downloading it if they want to do so...kinda like how things are with the tool-set here. It lets people have the chance to check out the issues the tool has and the kind of support they can expect if they use it.

Coco, I agree with you...creators should take advantage of any free tool offered that they feel comfortable using. For me that comfort level includes considering the source and thinking about whether this source is a group of people I want to have to deal with. But certainly opinions on that issue are gonna differ. Individual meshers have to make up their own mind on that and should not be criticized for doing so IMO.

From my perspective TSR has severe trust issues based on the behavior of the people who run TSR. These issues have been discussed in this thread, and more completely, in threads elsewhere at other sites. To me, TSRW still remains a "let the buyer beware" tool because of the way that this group acts towards other members of the Sims community. This is true whether their tool is completely free, has a free version, or is completely pay. I'm not gonna reiterate the whole past history of TSR here but, suffice it to say, that history has had some unsavory interludes. If others are ok with that that's up to them.
Advertisement
Instructor
#102 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 3:10 AM
I've said in this thread I would never use the workshop...now I've to eat my words, because I DL it a couple of months ago.
Why? I was looking for something like SimPE, one program what did everything...I know it doesn't do everything yet!
I struggled with myself because I'm not a fan of TSR, for the reasons OM mentioned above.
I've limited time for my hobby and when I do, I need something what's easy to use.
All I want is mesh for the Sims 3 with the easiest tool out there and I apologise if you think I'm a hypocrite.
It's a game after all and we all want to have fun with it and which tool we use shouldn't make a difference.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#103 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 9:15 AM
The point is we all paid out some money to buy a game for one reason - to relax and have fun. Players and creators should feel confident to have that fun in the funnest way they can that doesn't interfere with other people's rights. It just happens that there are many facets to enjoying The Sims, one of which is a game of political strategy that doesn't require the game to be loaded. Those people have every right to enjoy the political angle too. At the end of the day we have to remember it IS just a game, no matter which angle it is played from, and refrain from actually assassinating each other

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#104 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 1:44 PM
@OM
This sure isn't the intention to hide any problems with the software at initial download. It's a public beta after all which needs to be tested and TSR encourages everyone to do so.
TSR took stance to the false and twisted accusations made by some obviously bored people. Now it's up to you what to weight more and as a possible result saying no to a software, which would immensely increase productivity and fun in creating for The Sims 3.

@~Dee~
There's nothing wrong in changing the opinion on a software.

Ditto Inge.

Minisite

TSR Workshop
A Custom Content Tool for The Sims 3
Instructor
#105 Old 15th Apr 2010 at 8:30 PM
This thread isn't about whether TSR can be trusted. This has nothing to do with who runs TSR, so please leave personal bias out. Yes we've all heard of the horrors of TSR. This is about their tool and the s3pi tools. So please let's stay on topic.

TSRW works well if you're just beginning to dabble with TS3 meshing. It holds your hand through a lot of stuff.

However, if you're experienced, the s3pi tools are the way to go. They are not as user friendly as TSRW, however, what they lack in accessibility they more than make up for in sheer power. S3pi offers user the ability to change just about every object in the game.

OR, you could do as I do, and use both. I use TSRW to help set up an object, as its UI is more accessible to me, however s3pi gives me the option of changing slots, creating default replacements, etc. So as long as you're fairly familiar with both, using TSRW as well as the s3pi tools in conjunction can make you an unstoppable modder.

No, u can't haz cheezburger
Lab Assistant
#106 Old 15th Apr 2010 at 9:11 PM
Oh I wasn't aware of s3pi being able to change slots. Got the RSLT/_RIG issue solved otherwise?

Minisite

TSR Workshop
Alchemist
#107 Old 16th Apr 2010 at 12:22 AM
DDV, you're entitled to your opinion of course, just as I am entitled to mine. And, as I said, one thing I consider before using any product, be it a free meshing tool or food I eat or whatever, is who has what to do with making it. For me, and the opinion of others may differ of course, these two issues are intertwined. So, while I'm not gonna go into issues that have been thoroughly discussed elsewhere, those issues do play a role in my decision about this tool. In fact, those issues are the sole reason I don't use this tool.

As I also said, everyone has to make their own decision, based on issues that are of importance to them, and no one should be criticized for doing so IMO. And so I'll take this opportunity to post to you Dee and just say I wasn't trying to suggest that you, or anyone else using this tool is a hypocrite. I certainly see nothing about anything you've posted that suggests you are. I don't consider the question of what tool a person is using for meshing to be a point upon which that person should judged.

Teko, I appreciate the posts you've made helping people with questions. I think, in general, you seem like a nice person. So don't take this the wrong way. But quite honestly, the way you go on pushing one tool while trying to put the others down smacks just a little bit of a used-car salesman pitch IMO. Lighten up why don't you.
Instructor
#108 Old 16th Apr 2010 at 2:15 AM
OM,
I know you didn't suggest I was a hypocrite, but I feel like one for using a tool from a website I'm strongly against.
It doesn't sit right with me, I tried the tools from this site but meshing became tedious for me, no fun any more.
I had to make a choice..either not mesh for the Sims 3 at all or find a tool similar to SimPE.
I made my choice, but I can't say I'm happy about it.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Alchemist
#109 Old 17th Apr 2010 at 12:44 AM Last edited by orangemittens : 17th Apr 2010 at 1:03 AM.
I wouldn't beat myself up over it if I were you Dee. Mesh and be happy...this is only a game. Just my two cents.

And to clarify my above post: The trust issues with TSR are the reason I haven't *tried* this tool. My bet is, that even without the issues of wrongdoing involved here, I probably still wouldn't want to use this tool because I just don't care for the whole, "stable of meshers" thing and the corporate feel that TSR has goin' on over there. And, of course, the pay issue thing. None of that feels fun to me although, again, the opinions of others on that may vary.
Lab Assistant
#110 Old 17th Apr 2010 at 9:01 AM
But OM, I could tell the same of you with the s3pi suite. The only difference is I have it downloaded, installed and tried. And S3PE I still use to search for Workshop bugs and for this it's very helpful because it allows a very close look at the code.
However I think the regular CC creator doesn't want to get buggered too much with code (I found this way of creating very cumbersome). And that's why WS is here.
I suggest you at least download the software, and if necessary for you, analyze it with an AnitSpyware program and you'll see that there's absolutely nothing dangerous in there. Then install it and at least open it, because I think it's hard to judge a software, if you didn't even tried it.

Minisite

TSR Workshop
Test Subject
#111 Old 5th Oct 2011 at 12:11 AM
Default My opinoion
(excuse my spelling) my opinion of tsr workshop is that it isnt that bad, my anitvirus is one of the best rated and picks up the slightest things so its fine with that, i have had no major problems and it is great for those of us who cant run programs like sim pe or dont know how to mesh from scratch. i cant speak for the rest of the site but Tsr workshop to me is a great tool for those who dont want a lot of complications orare just weekend creators.
Sockpuppet
#112 Old 5th Oct 2011 at 12:32 AM
Love TSRW but since it still has that major skintonebug in it it is pretty much useless to create CAS related stuff.

These days i use it alot to create custom objects as it is so user friendly.
Just hope i can keep using it when i want to add scripts, sounds and animations to the objects.
#113 Old 5th Oct 2011 at 8:47 AM
You can add anything in the Edit/Project Contents window.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Sockpuppet
#114 Old 5th Oct 2011 at 2:24 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 5th Oct 2011 at 2:36 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
You can add anything in the Edit/Project Contents window.

The function doesn't work.
You can choose import, but the only option you have is ''import from sims3pack''

Edit,

Oh, just installed the latest version and It now works with packages.
#115 Old 5th Oct 2011 at 3:14 PM
Yes but I didn't mean at the front menu where you start or load a project. I am talking about when you click the Edit menu then Project Contents.

Sockpuppet
#116 Old 5th Oct 2011 at 3:44 PM
i know, use it alot when editing the RIG file but importing from package never worked(on older versions)
Glad it does now.
Forum Resident
#117 Old 9th Oct 2011 at 8:47 PM Last edited by birdyfly : 9th Oct 2011 at 9:46 PM. Reason: One of the points was wrong.
For me personally, I like the workshop. I do not know much about The Sims Resource in general as a site, but I do find the tool handy when it comes to me being new at creating objects. The only problem that I have with it is that with making clothing, I have to have the exact vertexes for all the meshes or else I get an error. I use the scale into tool in milkshape instead of deleting vertexes due to that error, but it makes my RBG mask look awful.

I also noticed there is a script editor in there as well. I haven't messed with it, but if I do, I'm hoping it makes scripting as easy as it is to make objects.

Overall, I see it like this:

Good Points:
♦ Makes meshing much easier for beginners
♦ Clean and organized
♦ Has an A - Z manual for those first starting
♦ Wiki page for those as well: http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/ind...ry:TSR_Workshop
♦ Exports all the body morphs when creating clothes
♦ You can preview what the object looks like before placing it in game

Bad Points:
♦ Sometimes crashes if I click a wrong button
♦ You cannot delete vertexes without getting an error, or I haven't found out how to do so yet
♦ Some objects are not available. The dry WA food, for example, is not in any category.
♦ Can't export into Blender - Thanks for bringing that one up, Inge!

Mutual Points:
♦ Cannot preview your custom animations before putting them in game, but you can look at game animations. I feel the program is just teasing me with that option. (If there is a way to preview your custom animations, then I'm deeply sorry for putting this as a mutual point, and would love to see a mini tutorial on how to do so )
♦ The preview does look different than it would in game. Not a huge deal for me honestly, but some may not like that.

Overall, I think this is a fantastic tool for people, like me, who are new with creating and are intimidated by S3PE and its components. I appreciate the tool greatly and I would highly recommend it to people starting out and are confused with using s3pe.
#118 Old 9th Oct 2011 at 9:28 PM
I wouldn't agree with no converting to .package. You just have to go into Project Contents and Export to package from there. S3PE was not designed to be a creators' tool really, it was just a testing front end for the s3pi library, which was supposed to be the building blocks for other people's creator tools. But it proves to be popular with some people, and more flexible and powerful in some respects than TSRW (in fact Workshop users often find themselves having to export a resource into S3PE to edit it exactly how they want) so we maintain it as a tool.

Forum Resident
#119 Old 9th Oct 2011 at 9:33 PM
Thank you for telling me about that, Inge Jones.
I will edit my post so it isn't misleading towards anyone.
#120 Old 9th Oct 2011 at 9:39 PM
Ah one more adverse point against TSRW I have just thought of - unless this has changed lately - it doesn't have a way to export to Blender or other free mesh editors as far as I know. This could be a problem for some people.

Lab Assistant
#121 Old 10th Oct 2011 at 10:40 AM
I am using S3OC, Blender Tools, S3PE and TSRW in mix-and-match style. I export the .package from TSRW and then export to Blender with S3PE. I also create my slots with TSRW and place them with Blender Slots Tool. After I am done, I just import back and do rest of the stuff in TSRW.

I think TSRW is a great tool for beginner creators and creators who do not need any advanced features. The tutorials are great too. I especially liked the Cyclonesue's texturing tutorials.

Slot duplication, shadow autogeneration, texture preset creation and object preview are my favorite features. I also use it to export ingame textures to use in testing.

My only complain on the tool is that is takes quite a while to start up. I need to keep the TSRW up and running all the time, whereas I can just start the S3PE when I need it. Also, TSRW does not run at the same time as the game is running. But overall TSRW has been quite reliable for me and I like using it.

I do not know about the backround issues, just judging the tool. And in my opinion the tool is OK.
Sockpuppet
#122 Old 10th Oct 2011 at 11:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by misukisu
I am using S3OC, Blender Tools, S3PE and TSRW in mix-and-match style. I export the .package from TSRW and then export to Blender with S3PE. I also create my slots with TSRW and place them with Blender Slots Tool. After I am done, I just import back and do rest of the stuff in TSRW.

I think TSRW is a great tool for beginner creators and creators who do not need any advanced features. The tutorials are great too. I especially liked the Cyclonesue's texturing tutorials.

Slot duplication, shadow autogeneration, texture preset creation and object preview are my favorite features. I also use it to export ingame textures to use in testing.

My only complain on the tool is that is takes quite a while to start up. I need to keep the TSRW up and running all the time, whereas I can just start the S3PE when I need it. Also, TSRW does not run at the same time as the game is running. But overall TSRW has been quite reliable for me and I like using it.

I do not know about the backround issues, just judging the tool. And in my opinion the tool is OK.

Think it depends how strong your computer is?
TSRW loads in about 15 to 20 seconds here and i can play the game while it is open.
Fus Ro Dah!
retired moderator
#123 Old 11th Oct 2011 at 12:39 AM
Personally I'm starting to grow some dislike to Workshop. I'm creating CAS suff and it's awful with it in some points:
- Preview is horrible, totally useless for makeup.
- It messed up the transparency issues on hair meshes. Also hair in preview looks totally different than in game.
- Since the latest update all eyebrow templates are screwed up. This means that all my custom eyebrows made with Workshop are not working.
- It crashes now much more often than before the update. Especially when I use fat/thin slider in preview. Also when trying to import/export textures.

However there are some good things about it:
- You can make all kinds of stuff with it (CAS, objects). I think it's the strongest feature.
- Export/import morphs with clothes.
- Animation player.

For more Sims 3 stuff by me - visit Ace Creators
My FB Fan page - Elexis's Sims Stuff
My Simblr - ElexisSims
Field Researcher
#124 Old 12th Oct 2011 at 9:07 AM
I need halp is there a way to export the default Sim toddler head using TSRW? I'm going to "stitch" it onto an object, so I need the mesh

"Go on, the world is your canvas."
Page 5 of 5