Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Undead Molten Llama
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jul 2019 at 6:30 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Installing TS2 on an alternate HDD
OK, so my Simming computer has two HDDs, one smaller, which has Windows on it, and one that's twice as large and mostly empty. I already have TS3 installed on the larger drive and it works fine, although Origin and the user files for the saves and stuff are in Documents on the smaller drive. But, the smaller drive is getting kind of full of crap, so I would like to move TS2 and the whole "My Documents" folder to the larger drive, mostly to get the 8GB of TS2 CC it contains moved over there along with the 12GB or whatever it is that the game install eats. I know how to move My Documents and that all internal links to it will be updated and all that. So here's my questions:

1) My plan is to uninstall TS2 from the smaller drive and reinstall it on the larger drive and also move My Documents to the larger drive. Logic is telling me that I should install TS2 on the larger drive, run it so that it creates a new set of user files in the Documents folder on the smaller drive, and then move the whole Documents folder over to the larger drive and switch out the files in the newly-generated TS2 user files for my backed-up ones. But my logic with these things is not always correct, so I wanted to run it by someone else first before I do all this work only to find out that I should have done it differently.

2) I use multiple user accounts on this machine for different game scenarios, mostly so that I keep downloads for them very separate, so that there's no possibility of a senior moment in which I open up a neighborhood with the wrong folder installed and FUBAR it to hell. These accounts all reside on the smaller drive as well, and for the most part they use much smaller Downloads folders than the main one. But it'd be nice to move them, too. So, can I move the Documents folders for those other user accounts to the larger drive as well? I'm thinking I can because in the instructions for moving Documents folders it says you can name the folder in the new location anything you want. So, I'm thinking I can name them according to their user account and the links to them from those user accounts ought to update and work properly. Yes/no?

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 21st Jul 2019 at 8:29 AM Last edited by clsve : 21st Jul 2019 at 8:46 AM.
My experience is that in Windows 10 the program performs best if your game-files are located on the drive with the windows folder in it (it is a windows thing). I myself has my game-files on my C:-drive and the documents on D: (in windows 7 there was no problems.)
To move your My Documents-folder follow this : https://support.microsoft.com/sv-se...ocuments-folder
The answer on question 2 is in my opinion : yes
Mad Poster
#3 Old 21st Jul 2019 at 11:40 AM
I have most of my games on D drive and none of them run slowly. C drive is just too small I originally installed everything there and ran out of room. No idea for 2, but 1 is the way I did it.
Undead Molten Llama
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st Jul 2019 at 11:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by clsve
My experience is that in Windows 10 the program performs best if your game-files are located on the drive with the windows folder in it (it is a windows thing). I myself has my game-files on my C:-drive and the documents on D: (in windows 7 there was no problems.)
To move your My Documents-folder follow this : https://support.microsoft.com/sv-se...ocuments-folder
The answer on question 2 is in my opinion : yes

Yeah, this machine runs Win7, so I'm good. I wouldn't touch 10 with...a 10-meter pole.

Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I have most of my games on D drive and none of them run slowly. C drive is just too small I originally installed everything there and ran out of room. No idea for 2, but 1 is the way I did it.

Ah, good to know someone else who's done this, then.

The smaller drive on this machine still has about 50GB (out of 500) left, and it's not like I've got any slow-down or performance issues, but I just tend to get nervous when I've only got less than about 10% of the total space left. The other drive is 1TB and only about 3GB of it is currently being used, so....yeah, time to move some shit! Now seems like a good time to do it, since I've not been playing much lately, anyway.

I think I'm going to work on this later tonight, so...wish me luck!

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 5:49 AM
My C drive only has 110GB, whereas my D drive has 931.

Good luck!
Undead Molten Llama
Original Poster
#6 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 7:53 AM
Well, everything turned out well!

The only problem is that un/reinstalling the game obviously nuked my lighting mod, and I just now found out that the download link for the mod that I use seems to be disabled now, so I need to message the creator of it and see if I can get a new copy. But other than that, it was all relatively painless and now my C drive is much happier. Or at least I'm much happier about how much space it has left. Geez, the Documents folder on the main user account was almost 50GB! BEFORE I put all the TS2 CC back into it! Most of it was TS3 files. I had no idea that game's user files were so big, especially since I have less than a gig of CC for that game.

Mad Poster
#7 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 9:39 AM
So another 50GB after you put the Sims 2 files back? :P
Undead Molten Llama
Original Poster
#8 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 10:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
So another 50GB after you put the Sims 2 files back? :P

Nah, "only" ~8GB. And while I was fooling around I moved out a lot of stuff, mostly big CAS stuff like skins as well as lots of build/buy stuff that I rarely use, to see whether or not I can live without it, so right now it's only ~5BG, which is where I'd rather it be. The problem I have now is that, upon installing a new lighting mod, the streetlights in the game are flashing blue, so I need to figure out what's going on with that. But as a bonus, the game is loading a lot faster on the different drive, probably because it's less "crowded," combined with the smaller Downloads folder.

But, I'm kind of excited to start up a little hood to see if I can live with the smaller Downloads folder that also has some new CAS defaults, and I haven't been really enthused about playing TS2 for several months, so....yeah.