Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jul 2019 at 10:48 PM Last edited by MeltingMagnetz : 29th Jul 2019 at 2:53 AM.
Default Careers wants
I play a want based game play. Meaning that if the sim does't have to want to gain a skill i won't force it.... And same goes for jobs unless the sim want to join a certain job i won't force it. But so far i almost never see diverse careers want. The only that come up are law,oceanography dancer and gamer(i have a household of 5 all gamers). Is there a mod to push these wants for other careers?

I need a cigarette
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 28th Jul 2019 at 10:57 PM
Not sure if there is a mod that'll do this. If you can't find a mod that'll work for what you want I do have a suggestion. Since they do have a desire to get a job maybe look at their interests, lifetime want, and one true hobby and see what you can ascertain what job they might want instead of the want one given. (Make sure you have it locked before givin them a different job so you don't loose it.) Using the boolprop testingcheatsenabled true you can click on any want to fulfill it. This allows you to keep it want play based and yet allowin for a tad bit more freedom in the job market.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Jul 2019 at 11:22 PM
I didn't know about fulfilling want trough debug mode thanks for that. I'll take a look at that, or i have a system in my mind that is based on random numbers. Thans for the idea

I need a cigarette
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 29th Jul 2019 at 12:47 AM
You have to be a little flexible as you play by the wants or you will end up in a rut like the household of 5 gamers.
Things to keep in mind is that while the sim is showing you what they want they only show you what is most important. That doesn't mean they actively don't want something else just that isn't as important. Sims also get trained by the wants you fill and it depends on the Season. Spring is coded for love, so you can expect more dating or love wants and fewer career ones. If you say fill their wants to catch bugs and buy a tree they will roll more of those nature wants.
You have to be a bit flexible and infer things from what they roll depending on the aspiration. So say the sim is family aspiration they may not roll a want for a job because they are more focused on falling in love, getting married and having a baby. That doesn't mean they want to be unemployed because they do need some cash if they want a nice wedding and items for a baby. So in that case the job itself isn't important, they can be given any job. So long as they don't start rolling stay home from job or quit job wants which would indicate you chose the wrong job.
People can also have wants and wishes that they don't really mean as well. Plenty of people around here wish from time to time they were a game developer to get the game the way they want, but in reality they don't really want to pursue that. It's a pipe dream. Perhaps that want for a gamer career is more wishful thinking and is really saying they enjoy gaming, so perhaps have them buy a new game and simply let that roll away or force it away. Add to that you are working with the limitation of the game and some jobs may simply not be coded to show up as a want. You can also use LTW, interests and one true hobby to figure out what they might like best.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Jul 2019 at 2:52 AM
Okay so this whole concept of wants based game play is copied from a youtuber PleasantSims. I wanted to try it out and it was a blast up to the career point. For example i finally had i sim drop out of college because i always force skills and they always graduate with honors,so it became boring. But this info about the want being influenced by the seasons and by other wants is new for me. Thanks for the info i will keep that it mind when i play to shape it how it fits me. I "developed" a system to choose careers(i could explain it if anyone needs it) from now on, to keep it divers. Thanks to both of you for teaching me new things. So happy to be back to the TS2 community.

I need a cigarette
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 29th Jul 2019 at 3:08 AM
Lot's of us play by wants not just Cindy. Uni is particularly good at diverging your sims. Along with wants there I also figure out if they are the sort to gain grades by romancing professors, hack grades or get others to do the work for them. (Those things don't show up as wants at all) So say they want on the dean's list but roll no wants to do the work I might have them influence others to do a term paper for them- if that suits their personality or if they are interested in crime or have a LTW to be a criminal I will have them hack grades.

I play an integrated hood so careers are often set by what the town needs. A lot of my sims own their own business since that is a large part of the integrated play. One of my sims with a gamer career want I had open an internet cafe with games for sale.
I also have motivation levels (a few of us here use those) so this adds into outcomes too. It takes a lot more slowing down, really getting to know each sim and also trying to think outside the box playing this way. A lot of people play way too fast. Once I get an idea of who I think they are I jot it down in their bio.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Jul 2019 at 3:23 AM
Ok i kinda feel dumb now, i have been going on to my friends about Cindy's style. And how innovative she is. I am easily impressed so this should't be a huge surprise to anyone. I have no idea what motivation level is but i googled it and i found i post from you. So from what i can get from skimming the post(it's 4:30 am) It's kind a similar. I will go over that thread at a reasonable time. But i really wish i had known about this sooner

I need a cigarette
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 29th Jul 2019 at 6:33 AM
I've had lots of inspiration from Cindy and likewise, I am sure she has been inspired by other players. That's one of my main reasons for liking the sims 2 boards here, we all share ideas or spark off new ideas simply by talking about things.

Likewise, with motivation levels, I did not come up with that idea. I got that of Laura and I believe she got it from someplace else. We all have our own takes on it. 4.30am isn't the best time for thinking lol.

A lot of my original inspiration came from Apple valley and The Isle of Thyme, long ago some of the first integrated hoods.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 31st Jul 2019 at 1:38 AM
Thanks for all of this info Jo, i am impressed by how well this community is still going

I need a cigarette