Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#51 Old 4th Aug 2006 at 6:52 PM Last edited by wiccadwitch : 4th Aug 2006 at 7:02 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Anshin Lanugo
Could someone write a *simple* tutorial on how to make an already existing hairstyle available for different/all ages?
:bow:
Thank You!

This is exactly what I need!! So I second the request. I have tried requesting a certain hair to be made all ages on this site but noone has done it so basically I am about to actually make the attempt myself. However everytime I look for too long at the tutorials I get sleepy and want to take a nap. Apparently my brain just can't handle it. The hair that I want to make all ages is currently available for young adult through elder on both sexes and I want it all ages for both sexes. I just have no idea how to get the mesh into all the categories and this tuorial is giving me a headache trying to figure it out. I am just not a modder and even my like two attempts at simple recolors failed miserably so perhaps this is beyond me. I so want this though for all ages and if noone else will do it then I will be forced to try and if someone would take pity on those of us with no skills and make a for dummies version of a hair tutorial I among others of my modding impaired kind will be most grateful.

I tried opening SimPE and looking at the first step of the modified tutorial that diablight posted but I get stuck literally at step one. I have no idea where this sims o3 package is or what it is there is no indication in the tutorial where this file or any of the others that you are expected to use are to be found really. I am this bad I need complete step step for stupid instructions and there arent enough....
Advertisement
Scholar
#52 Old 5th Aug 2006 at 1:23 PM
The thing is, you are asking for a "simple" tutorial about something that is not simple.
Making a hair mesh available (and correctly fitted) for other ages or sexes is more complicated than making a hairmesh, and it requires at least a basic understanding of hair meshing and 3d editing.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#53 Old 5th Aug 2006 at 6:17 PM Last edited by tiggerypum : 5th Aug 2006 at 6:30 PM.
Everything about hair says 'learn body meshing first'. Everything about body meshing that I've written says 'learn how to recolor (outfits) first'.

Modding things for the game is complex. You need to have time to learn. Now for skinning and body meshing, we have some fairly thorough tutorials that will walk you through step by step - so if you follow them exactly and ask for help when needed, you could master the steps involved. With practice. It's like any skill, math, reading - things build on each other, and with practice some steps become automatic. Like how you just 'know that 2+2+2=6 without thought, or you can read most words instantly. But, like a complex math problem or a long book, you still have to do a bunch of steps - so even when you get 'good', it's not always 'fast' to do.

As for the long tutorials and taking a nap - you need to DO them, not read them. Without the actual experiences (and repeating them) it's unlikely you'll do anything other than give yourself a headache. Now if you find you don't have the time and patience to _do_ them, and take it one step at a time, this just isn't for you. It's not a fast process. Start with the bodyshop-skinning area and get some real skills with your graphics editor. Then you can decide if you want to invest the much greater effort to learn meshing. It's not for everyone.

PS - I'm locking this thread - there IS now a hair tutorial, but it's not beginners material.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Locked thread | Locked by: tiggerypum Reason: Thread over a year old, we have many more tutorials now
Page 3 of 3