Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 10:16 PM
Default Have you ever played out a natural disaster in your game?
Such as hurricanes,earthquakes,flood etc?
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 10:37 PM
hurricane, earthquake, tornado; do not have any such mod/mods. and do not plan to download any such mod/mods.
flood, fire; kind part of shipped version of game. flood from broken plumbing objects. fire from various accidents; cooking, fireplace, repairing electronics, lightning.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 10:41 PM
there is no way to realistic portray natural disasters. At the beginning of my rotation of each hood, I will roll dice. If even, there is no disaster. If odd, a disaster has struck somewhere among the hood and subhoods. Then I will go to to a news source to locate the newest disaster, and portray the aftermath. That's the best I've ever figured out.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Theorist
#4 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 10:49 PM
Nope.
I've never rolled such an event.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 11:16 PM
No, as there are none in the game.
(I can't believe I added a sad face to this...)

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Link Ninja
#6 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 11:33 PM
The natural disaster I like to refer to as 'My-little-sister-got-impatient-and-force-shut-down-the-computer-while-her-neighborhood-was-saving-that-resulted-in-both-our-neighborhoods-being-destroyed/dissappeared', I re-interpreted as 'an earthquake with no survivors and no buildings' when I created my current hood with some of the same surnames from the destroyed one.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#7 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 12:59 AM
I have a working volcano in one of my hoods. I think I'm going to put this mod into it to see a volcano erupt:

Quote:
RocksFallEveryoneDies: If you really hate your sims and want to see them die horrible deaths, you can now rain (or, as EA spells it, "reign") firey apocalypse down on them via the weather control device. This isn't the same as what happens when the weather control device backfires; the lot will actually be reduced to a smoldering ruin. Intended for lulz, not serious gameplay, but you could probably work it into a story if you really wanted to.

From this site: http://faiuwle.wikidot.com/sims2hacks(I just checked his site-it no longer exists-but I have a copy in the mountainous volumes of stuff I've saved over the years...anyone wants it, I will try to find it..)

Yes, it should be a lot of lulz, indeed.Those poor pixels...

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Scholar
#8 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 2:16 AM
uh...nope lol

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Forum Resident
#9 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 2:47 AM
I had an epidemic once. NOT intentionally. It started off as a cold/flu, spread to half my 150 lot neighborhood, then in my attempts to cure one household with medication, someone was infected with the mysterious disease and then that took off as well.

I resorted to having every family sim stockpile Grandma's Chicken Soup in their inventory and give them as gifts to friends and family. No one died, but the town plumbing took a big hit.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 3:21 AM
The plumbing ... how?

Got a link for that working volcano?
Field Researcher
#11 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 4:42 AM
A working volcano??? Omg.
Forum Resident
#12 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 4:48 AM
I had a wild fire go through once - I used one of the objects from sim wardrobe to start fires on several lots near the forest in an old 'hood.

I've had earthquakes, too. I rolled a die for the amount of damage to the 'hood and then rolled for each lot, too. Some lots just lost the use of their plumbing and electronics for a season, most had a room or two with missing or unfinished walls for the next season, and a couple of lots were destroyed with only some random belongings being saved (the sims then had to live on an empty lot until their house was rebuilt).

I haven't had a flood yet, though I have one in the ROS that I use. Floods will affect all beach lots and other low lots - all objects on the first floor or outside will be removed (not sold) on those lots. At higher elevations, flooding will affect basements and outdoor items only.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 6:06 AM
Nope, no natural disasters.

Though this thread did bring back childhood memories of playing SimCity 4 and absolutely decimating the premade cities with as many disasters as possible lol.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 8:10 AM Last edited by Annorah : 14th Feb 2018 at 12:05 PM.
Well, once I saw an opportunity and decided to start a forest fire through fire by lightning. A tree caught fire and then it stopped raining, so I did not call the firefighter.

I remember sitting there, watching carefully as the tree became ashes and the fire climbed to another nearby tree. There were two fires then, all in five long minutes. So, I went to the kitchen, made myself a sandwich, ate the sandwich, played a little bit with my cousin, went to the bathroom, and came back hoping to find the group of trees in flames.

There was no fire at all when I arrived
Scholar
#15 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 10:25 AM
well i'm not sure if it counts as a natural disaster but florence delarosa was deserate to become a scientist and so loki beaker was letting her become a trainee,he knew she had a flower shop and so he gave her a mysterious disease to implement onto the plants but it flooded most of the village,turned all residents into plantsims and wrecked most buildings.

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Mad Poster
#16 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 12:02 PM
Quote:
Got a link for that working volcano?

Afraid not-I made it myself in game. If you call special effects "working"-I merely created the effects by layering on Sophie-David's various effects and putting them into the volcano I made.

Added a picture of it.
Screenshots

Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
Mad Poster
#17 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 5:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
The plumbing ... how?

I think it was more meant as a joke.
When half your 'Hood starts throwing up, use the bathroom every 4 seconds then yes. Your Town's plumbing takes a hit...

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#18 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 10:01 PM
'Twas unnatural, but I think Peni Griffin dealt with corruption destroying her downtown by having "The Night Satellites Fell" in her Drama Acres, you can read all about it on her tumblr.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Forum Resident
#19 Old 15th Feb 2018 at 6:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
I think it was more meant as a joke.
When half your 'Hood starts throwing up, use the bathroom every 4 seconds then yes. Your Town's plumbing takes a hit...

Haha yes, that's what I meant. Between the vomiting and diarrhea, there were a lot of clogged and dirty toilets.
Instructor
#20 Old 15th Feb 2018 at 10:01 AM
I once had a plague. Or, actually, too many Sims, so I rolled a dice for everyone. Odd number was dead, even stayed alive. Most of them died.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#21 Old 15th Feb 2018 at 12:07 PM Last edited by maxon : 15th Feb 2018 at 3:08 PM.
I thought about it I admit and thought about how you might simulate it. Thought maybe about using the unused power cut coding or maybe starting a conflagration or having random items wrecked (dog/cat action), random spawning puddles, over-heating sims. I'm not sure it would be a good idea for an upload though. Disasters in RL are horrible experiences for people.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Theorist
#22 Old 15th Feb 2018 at 3:00 PM
Not sure if it counts as a "disaster" but I like to play Post-Apocalyptic on occasion and the first rotation after the war does take place during he nuclear winter. I put my sims into bunkers, simulate food shortage and radiation sickness and afterwards there's a long, slow rebuilding of society.
I don't simulate the immidiate effects of a nuclear blast zone, however. My survivors tend to be people that made it to government-provided bunkers before the bombs exploded.
There's also zombies usually.

More of a fantasy/since fiction variation, but it's disaster-like.

Quote: Originally posted by maxon
I'm not sure it would be a good idea for an upload though. Disasters in RL are horrible experiences for people.

I agree that disasters are horrible things to live through, speaking from my own experiences. But so is the death of a loved one, having your house broken into, having a nervous breakdown or delusions, being cheated on by your partner or having your children taken from you, and these things are in the game. So I wouldn't see anything wrong with a disaster-themed mod. Consider that both Apocalyptic/Post-Apocalyptic and War themed uploads have a certain popularity. And also consider that Sims 4, the fluffiest and most PC of the Sim games, apparently has (light, harmless) earthquakes.
And considering what inspired the creation of the Sims, I think disasters just were never implemented in Sims 1/2 because they are too large-scale to simulate and wouldn't work with the building mode (the game doesn't really have a way to disassemble a house you've built).

After all Sims aren't actual living beings, so to me barring natural disasters from sims on principle is like saying books, TV-shows and movies shouldn't have them either. Or that Sim City shouldn't have them.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 15th Feb 2018 at 3:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
I have a working volcano in one of my hoods. I think I'm going to put this mod into it to see a volcano erupt:

From this site: http://faiuwle.wikidot.com/sims2hacks(I just checked his site-it no longer exists-but I have a copy in the mountainous volumes of stuff I've saved over the years...anyone wants it, I will try to find it..)

Yes, it should be a lot of lulz, indeed.Those poor pixels...

Yes, I would like a copy of that, please.
Also, do you happen to have the one underneath that would allow me to sell copies of the books they write it in their businesses?

Thank you.

When my hood went bad, I took all the info I had saved on the characters and rebuilt them. (Can't SimPE). The story was that the country had become involved in a nuclear exchange (although they didn't manage to hit the other country), and the survivors all had to relocate. People randomly died and families were often split up. I created Relocation/Settlement officials to accompany the young people who no longer had parents. Their personal treasuries were purged for the government coffers to cover the costs. Most everyone had to find new jobs in their new land. And, I took the opportunity to give many of them interesting features to reflect the trauma. It's actually been quite fun.

I'm worried about myself

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Scholar
#24 Old 15th Feb 2018 at 9:49 PM
I have a nuclear winter hood, with all four seasons set to winter, but the Sims still have to grow food their because there's nowhere to buy it from. I've started with Riverblossom Hills, so there are some greenhouses about, but I'm thinking of adding subhoods one by one - as winter retreats a little, travel becomes possible, but these other areas are starving, increasing the burden of food production on the Sims in the Hills. There will have to be some serious food rationing as new communities discover the Hills.

Not really what you're asking about as it's not a natural disaster - although there was the Year Without a Summer (1816) following a massive volcanic eruption in the East Indies, so it's a similar scenario.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 15th Feb 2018 at 10:36 PM Last edited by FranH : 16th Feb 2018 at 12:03 AM.
Quote:
Also, do you happen to have the one underneath that would allow me to sell copies of the books they write it in their businesses?

Actually, I do have that hack as well. I've got to find them, but I know I have both of them. Let me dig in the records for a bit...I found the 'sellable novels' one, the other one I'm having difficulty finding.
Edit: I can only do one of the files-the sellable novels one. The other is undiscovered yet..sorry.
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  sellablenovels.7z (459 Bytes, 12 downloads) - View custom content

Page 1 of 2