Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Dec 2018 at 8:45 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default CC suddenly crashing game when it hasn't before?
I'm trying to figure out what in the world is going on with my game. I was able to play it just fine in May of this year, and I just attempted to play the game again yesterday. Now it continues to crash and I'm trying to figure out if it's a CC problem OR if it's a problem with the game not being able to handle the lot which has 8 inhabitants.

The reason I thought it could be a CC issue is because I took out all CC, and it didn't crash. I started adding some slowly back in. HOWEVER, CC that I have been using for YEARS with no problems are suddenly making the game crash?! Why?! That's why I thought, "maybe it's overwhelmed by the amount I'm asking it to do."

So, I have attempted to install the 4GB patch to no avail. I'm using UC which is causing major headaches on this front. I've decided to uninstall UC from origin and go back to my discs. I hope this isn't a bad move cause it's already happening.

Here's my game plan: reinstall all disks, fix shadow issues and resolution issues as usual, and install the 4GB patch according to Jessa's tutorial that's stickied.

Any advice, knowledge, forethought, anything from you guys? I'm sick and tired of coming back to my game and having to take hours upon hours figuring out why it won't work anymore, once again. It seems every time I come back to my game, there's some new issue I have to deal with.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 19th Dec 2018 at 8:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by suzannemariema
I'm trying to figure out what in the world is going on with my game. I was able to play it just fine in May of this year, and I just attempted to play the game again yesterday. Now it continues to crash and I'm trying to figure out if it's a CC problem OR if it's a problem with the game not being able to handle the lot which has 8 inhabitants.

The reason I thought it could be a CC issue is because I took out all CC, and it didn't crash. I started adding some slowly back in. HOWEVER, CC that I have been using for YEARS with no problems are suddenly making the game crash?! Why?! That's why I thought, "maybe it's overwhelmed by the amount I'm asking it to do."

So, I have attempted to install the 4GB patch to no avail. I'm using UC which is causing major headaches on this front. I've decided to uninstall UC from origin and go back to my discs. I hope this isn't a bad move cause it's already happening.

Here's my game plan: reinstall all disks, fix shadow issues and resolution issues as usual, and install the 4GB patch according to Jessa's tutorial that's stickied.

Any advice, knowledge, forethought, anything from you guys? I'm sick and tired of coming back to my game and having to take hours upon hours figuring out why it won't work anymore, once again. It seems every time I come back to my game, there's some new issue I have to deal with.

You say there's CC that has worked before and now it cause the crashes.
Do you know which CC it is? Are it mods, clothing, buildings,...?

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Dec 2018 at 8:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lientebollemeis
You say there's CC that has worked before and now it cause the crashes.
Do you know which CC it is? Are it mods, clothing, buildings,...?

I can give you a couple of examples. I got too tired last night to continue finding all the problem files, but here's a couple:

face templates that I'd been using for years
Horse drawn carriage mod that I'd been using for years
dirt road replacement of neighborhood roads I'd used for years

These three don't seem to be corrupt, and they don't seem to need a whole lot to run. This is part of the reason why I'm utterly confused.

EDIT: I entered each of these individually back into the downloads file to see if they caused issues. Each one of these caused the game to crash either right away when loading a lot, or about a minute after loading the lot.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 19th Dec 2018 at 9:02 PM
Does that happen on every lot in every hood or just certain ones? Maybe the lot is corrupted and has that CC stucked on it or something.
Did you add any CC since it last worked?

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Dec 2018 at 9:06 PM
Does that happen on every lot in every hood or just certain ones? Maybe the lot is corrupted and has that CC stucked on it or something.
Did you add any CC since it last worked?

I don't recall if I tried opening it with another lot, but I was successful in putting back in clothing, meshes, some default replacements, Hair and meshes, downloaded lots.

I stopped trying after I tried to re-enter my CC objects folder, because that made it crash again. I really didn't want to go through that huge file.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 19th Dec 2018 at 9:24 PM
If you haven't changed your game in any way since May, I would be looking outside of your game to changes to your computer. Did you update windows or your graphics card? be especially suspicious if you are on a Radeon card and put on an Adrenalin update which broke directX 9 games. I believe even Nvidia has put out one suspect update. Always have updates of any kind set to non-automatic and be ready to roll back.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#7 Old 19th Dec 2018 at 9:28 PM
if there are versions of the cc for different packs at their respective sites, might download the version for the most recent pack.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 19th Dec 2018 at 9:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
if there are versions of the cc for different packs at their respective sites, might download the version for the most recent pack.

All CC that I've downloaded is updated to current pack. The problems do not involve incompatibility to current game pack. Otherwise I would've been having these problems long before.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 19th Dec 2018 at 9:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
If you haven't changed your game in any way since May, I would be looking outside of your game to changes to your computer. Did you update windows or your graphics card? be especially suspicious if you are on a Radeon card and put on an Adrenalin update which broke directX 9 games. I believe even Nvidia has put out one suspect update. Always have updates of any kind set to non-automatic and be ready to roll back.

Thanks for that! I have Nvidia. How do I go about correcting that issue if that is the issue?
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#10 Old 19th Dec 2018 at 9:58 PM
Have you tried downloading fresh copies of the stuff that's making your game crash? (And installing them, of course.) CC that worked yesterday or just an hour ago can become corrupt and stop working and/or make your game crash.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 19th Dec 2018 at 10:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
Have you tried downloading fresh copies of the stuff that's making your game crash? (And installing them, of course.) CC that worked yesterday or just an hour ago can become corrupt and stop working and/or make your game crash.

Great suggestion! That was my next step after I went through finding all problem CC. However, I'm still trying to find out if it *really is* a CC issue.
Instructor
#12 Old 20th Dec 2018 at 5:02 AM
Out of everything here, have you actually taken out all custom content, hack and mods? Then starting the game? Then you would know for sure it's a CC problem. Or, try running Clean Installer and scan your download folder. See if there are duplicates. Then try LeeFish Hack Conflict Utility. See if you have hacks that don't work together.

Clean Installer
LeeFish Hack Conflict

Also, have you changed any config files in the game?
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 20th Dec 2018 at 5:59 AM
Have you tried to delete the cache files?

Alchemist
#14 Old 20th Dec 2018 at 1:05 PM Last edited by omglo : 20th Dec 2018 at 1:17 PM.
I wonder if your computer can't handle the combination of that much CC and Sims at the same time. I recently experienced a similar problem and did lots of 50-50s that gave confusing results and at first I wondered if there were three or more files that were clashing. They were things I'd had for years. But the issue was that my computer had hit its build/buy mode CC limit (I did a stress test on the game by adding a 6 gb download folder someone shared, that was all CAS stuff. The game could handle it and my Download folder, but adding one new buy/build file made the game crash. So CAS cc didn't count toward the limit).

The computer handled more build/buy CC in the past, but it seems that it's not capable of doing that anymore for whatever reason.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 20th Dec 2018 at 4:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by suzymarie64
Out of everything here, have you actually taken out all custom content, hack and mods? Then starting the game? Then you would know for sure it's a CC problem. Or, try running Clean Installer and scan your download folder. See if there are duplicates. Then try LeeFish Hack Conflict Utility. See if you have hacks that don't work together.

Clean Installer
LeeFish Hack Conflict

Also, have you changed any config files in the game?

Yes, that was the first thing I did was to take out all CC. However, the reason I'm not entirely sure it's a CC problem is because I've been using some of this CC for literally years, and it's strange that it would upset the game now.

Some below mentioned that sometimes it could be the mix of the lot and the CC that's overwhelming the game's actualy performance, which is what I'm leaning more toward.

My plan at this point, after I get the game up and running again (I got rid of UC and went back to my disks so I could successfully use the 4GB patch), I'll be going through all CC and determining what, exactly, I need to keep for my game play (BACC set in American 1800s - think old west), and what is just a want.

I know it will be slow going, but I'm too invested in this neighborhood to scrap it and start all over with a new BACC. I've been playing this challenge for three years!!!

Regarding using Clean Installer and leefish- i've done both periodically in the past when I would add in new CC. For years I've used the same CC and they worked together just fine. Again, for years. Now, all of a sudden, I have multiple problem CC files? It doesn't make sense. I haven't added any new CC since last I played the game in May, and I didn't add new CC then, either.

This is why I'm not entirely convinced it's a CC issue.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 20th Dec 2018 at 4:44 PM
Have you tried to delete the cache files?

Yes I have.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 20th Dec 2018 at 4:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
I wonder if your computer can't handle the combination of that much CC and Sims at the same time. I recently experienced a similar problem and did lots of 50-50s that gave confusing results and at first I wondered if there were three or more files that were clashing. They were things I'd had for years. But the issue was that my computer had hit its build/buy mode CC limit (I did a stress test on the game by adding a 6 gb download folder someone shared, that was all CAS stuff. The game could handle it and my Download folder, but adding one new buy/build file made the game crash. So CAS cc didn't count toward the limit).

The computer handled more build/buy CC in the past, but it seems that it's not capable of doing that anymore for whatever reason.

Yes, this is what I'm leaning towards. It *is* a CC problem in that my system and game can no longer handle them for some reason, but not necessarily because my CC is corrupt of there are compatibility issues between certain mods and hacks. If the latter two were true, I would expect that I would've seen them a long while ago. That's logical, right?

Someone else mentioned that the files can corrupt at any given moment, so it's still certainly something I'm looking into and I may end up downloading a lot of CC again, if I can find it, just to make sure there isn't corruption.

But my first step is to try and help my game and my system play nice.
Instructor
#18 Old 20th Dec 2018 at 5:28 PM
For the longest time I could not add more CC to my game. Couldn't figure out why. I lost a nice neighborhood I totally redecorated with all my CC. I had to replace my hard drive and just installed a graphic card that my computer did not have before. I was running on an Intel Chipset. I only applied the 4gb patch (but it still only reads at 2048mb, and yes, I saw your post in the help section. No one has been able to answer). So I am still a little frustrated also that I can't get more memory to read in the game, maybe that's the problem. I am still rebuilding my files, and am leaving a lot out that I did not use before (especially walls and floors). So I will see how far I get. I know I am now able to add CC that I couldn't before.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 20th Dec 2018 at 6:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by suzymarie64
For the longest time I could not add more CC to my game. Couldn't figure out why. I lost a nice neighborhood I totally redecorated with all my CC. I had to replace my hard drive and just installed a graphic card that my computer did not have before. I was running on an Intel Chipset. I only applied the 4gb patch (but it still only reads at 2048mb, and yes, I saw your post in the help section. No one has been able to answer). So I am still a little frustrated also that I can't get more memory to read in the game, maybe that's the problem. I am still rebuilding my files, and am leaving a lot out that I did not use before (especially walls and floors). So I will see how far I get. I know I am now able to add CC that I couldn't before.

What a bummer! I'm sorry to hear that! It's pretty frustrating when you just want to create and build what you want and you're limited.

My extreme frustration right now is my complete ignorance of all things computer and how they work.

For instance (and I'm going to do more research but I can't find anything so far so I might even make a new thread) I just reinstalled all my disks, and I'm trying to solve the resolution issue. I'm changing the Graphic Rules sgr just as I've always done in the .exe file. It still shows 800x600. I've gone through and changed it for all other packs. Still stuck on 800x600. I just downloaded and applied Graphics Rules Maker. Still doesn't show anything other than 800x600. I've made sure that I changed the compatibility to a lower version of Windows. Still, nothing. I've never had this problem fixing the resolution. Never. I don't understand what is going on.

It's like God is telling me to stop trying to play this game, or something. I'm beyond frustrated that I can't even do a simple task that I've done tens of times before like fixing the resolution.
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 20th Dec 2018 at 9:07 PM
I am a food and career creator and I know from experience there is a limit to how many custom careers and custom food the game can handle.
So I am not surprised if there would be something like too much CC overall that the game can't handle.
I mean I have a bout 6GB CC and no problems (just some loading time).
But I know people who have +20GB.
And that well, it's not surprising the game says "enough!" at some point.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 20th Dec 2018 at 9:21 PM
I am a food and career creator and I know from experience there is a limit to how many custom careers and custom food the game can handle.
So I am not surprised if there would be something like too much CC overall that the game can't handle.
I mean I have a bout 6GB CC and no problems (just some loading time).
But I know people who have +20GB.
And that well, it's not surprising the game says "enough!" at some point.

Yep, it's understandable. I just took a look, though: I have just over 2.5 GB of CC. Not much, imo.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 5:39 PM
uOk, I reinstalled my discs and I was able to get resolution up and working and I was able to put quite a bit of CC back in, including the ones I mentioned earlier that were causing a crash. However, when I try to put in my objects folder, it does crash. This is what happened: I went in to a home lot, all seemed fine for a moment - it didn't crash the minute it loaded the lot. Then the maid came. In the pop-up window that comes up showing the maid has arrived, that pop-up started flashing pink. This is the first time I've seen that, but I also know it's a very common thing. The game immediately crashed after this. I also noticed that the objects weren't showing up in the game.

This is why I think it truly is a memory issue and not a CC issue.

I've posted in the 4GB patch sticky, but no one is responding.

The current issue is this: When I take the step to put the .exe file into the CSBin, the game no longer recognizes that changes made in the Graphics Rules file nor does it seem to recognize the graphics card. When I put the .exe back into the TSBin, all is well. However, the config-log does not read that the game recognizes more than 2048MB on either memory or free memory, even when the .exe file is moved to the CSBin.

Any suggestions?
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 7:28 PM
The issue you're having could possibly be a corrupt neighbourhood. The symptoms of your game and CC behaviour are common things i've come across before.

If you're able to use your CC in a new neighbourhood, then it's as i expected. Otherwise the issue is the CC itself.

To pinpoint the crash, put all the CC back in, and try selecting the all the Hot tubs in buy mode and moving them around. The one that always crashes the game for bad CC objects is the black more expensive Hot Tub.

The most common cause of these crashes will be some kind of object or skin.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CC windows.
CC Misc Decorations.
CC Stairs, especially if they have a hack attached to them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sims clothing 100% never crash the game.

Genetics only crash the game through conflicts of aging. This is down to some Skins having a blend skins feature and are conflicting with duplicates.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 7:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jasmini
The issue you're having could possibly be a corrupt neighbourhood. The symptoms of your game and CC behaviour are common things i've come across before.

If you're able to use your CC in a new neighbourhood, then it's as i expected. Otherwise the issue is the CC itself.

To pinpoint the crash, put all the CC back in, and try selecting the all the Hot tubs in buy mode and moving them around. The one that always crashes the game for bad CC objects is the black more expensive Hot Tub.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CC windows.
CC Misc Decorations.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Genetics only crash the game through conflicts of aging. This is down to some Skins having a blend skins feature and are conflicting with duplicates.

Ok, thanks! I"m slowly putting in my CC now, and waiting to put in any objects last. So far so good, and I don't have many files left to put back in.

I'll update with results.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 8:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jasmini

CC windows.
CC Misc Decorations.

Well...it looks like the game took in my CC, all of it, just fine. I have no idea what was causing problems! We'll see how it goes since I haven't played more than a couple of minutes to check if it would crash right away.
Page 1 of 2