Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 12:07 PM
It's strange, the chair works fine outdoor.

Advertisement
Wiki Wizard
#27 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 1:24 PM
Nikkkita, it may be the shadows on the chair, have you edited ALL the MODL and MLOD files?

It's ok, we all laugh-snort occasionally!
Check out some of my other stuff here.
Test Subject
#28 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 2:00 PM
yes Deluxe Designs, I have edited all the files for my second test.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#29 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 2:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BabaYaga

Usage: C:\... \MTS_WesHowe_979111_S3ModelToolV2\s3modld.exe {infile}

Any ideas what's going on and how to fix it? Am I the only one with this issue?

In your advanced mode, put %1 on each line after the command name. That will make windows pass the filename to the program, which is what the program is complaining about when it says {infile}.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#30 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 3:49 PM Last edited by WesHowe : 10th Aug 2009 at 4:42 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Nikkkita
It's strange, the chair works fine outdoor.

Make a temporary workspace, reimport each LOD, do a "smooth all" on them and reexport them.

OK, the normals flipping fix I made a while back did not get moved from the exporter to the compiler when I rewrote the code. My bad.

V0.12 has been posted, and it fixes that problem.

<* Wes *>

Test Subject
#31 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 5:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WesHowe
Make a temporary workspace, reimport each LOD, do a "smooth all" on them and reexport them.

Grrrrrr I had done that. But nothing happened in the game.
I will remake a new package.

Thanks for the update.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#32 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 6:17 PM
Sorry. If EA had tried to design a more difficult way to construct the game mesh format, I'm not sure they would have succeeded. Unlike TS2 or the body meshes, all of the values (vertices, normals, UVs) used in game have been compressed.

The compression I was doing had a math error in it, and it changed every value of 0 to -128, effectively reversing the normal. Normals are a big component of the lighting calculations, so those on the top of the arms were reversed, making them appear shaded instead of bright.

The outdoor results are apparently the result of the higher lighting levels.

I don't like problems any more than you do. I try to fix the problems promptly, and your work has been a great help for me in finding the issues. It is part of the pain of doing something new, instead of waiting until the bugs have all been found and the tutorials written.

<* Wes *>

Test Subject
#33 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 6:25 PM
All works perfectly now.

Thank you Wes
Alchemist
Original Poster
#34 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 7:46 PM
Well, sooner or later we will get it all right. Thanks for the report.

<* Wes *>

Lab Assistant
#35 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 12:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by WesHowe
In your advanced mode, put %1 on each line after the command name. That will make windows pass the filename to the program, which is what the program is complaining about when it says {infile}.

<* Wes *>

Darn! I just tried that, but I got the same error. Any details I could be missing?
Alchemist
Original Poster
#36 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 12:54 AM
Someone with XP will have to help you. I no longer have any functional XP machines to test with, and was flying by memory. Perhaps the %1 needed to be in quotes. My recollection was that when you set the program up by default, it included the %1.

Lab Assistant
#37 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 3:14 AM
Thanks Wes.

Yeah, it set everything up by default with the previous version, but this time XP is definitely not doing what it usually does for some reason.

I'll go poke at the registry. I really want to make this work!
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 3:39 AM
Has anyone else besides BabaYaga experienced problems with Windows XP. I just downgraded from Windows 7 to XP because some of my programs were not running correctly in Windows 7. Now when I drag the lod and mod files to the s3modld.exe nothing happens. It worked perfectly in Windows 7. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#39 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 3:40 AM
Well, it does work. The GUI parts will come along, but designing GUIs takes as long as writing the underlying code sometimes. This way, at least the more persistent users get to start doing meshing, and my code gets tested. By the time it is set in an environment where button pushing is all that is required, it has the major deficiencies cured.

Some people mentioned dragging the .mcfg file onto the modldc.exe program file and dropping it there. I haven't tried this, but it might work. You could also experiment with making a shortcut file, or writing a .bat file to invoke the program with.

<* Wes *>

Alchemist
Original Poster
#40 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 3:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by petallotus
Has anyone else besides BabaYaga experienced problems with Windows XP. I just downgraded from Windows 7 to XP because some of my programs were not running correctly in Windows 7. Now when I drag the lod and mod files to the s3modld.exe nothing happens. It worked perfectly in Windows 7. Any ideas would be appreciated.

You did download the "Visual Studio 2008 Runtime" after you installed XP? If not, that is the probably cause for them not running.

Lab Assistant
#41 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 3:48 AM
Yes I did. I forgot at first and thought that this was the reason but it still doesn't work after installing it.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#42 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 4:22 AM
I don't have a clue, but I didn't code anything that probably wouldn't run under Windows 98 or Windows 2000. But my sole remaining XP machine died of old age here, so I can no longer test under XP.

I always used to use the right-click menu and "open" the first time, and the "pick the program from a list" and then "browse" to get a particular extension associated with some program so then all I had to do was double-click to run the program on that file. XP allowed more flexibility to edit the associations with than Vista does.

<* Wes *>

Lab Assistant
#43 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 4:30 AM
Hey thanks Wes, I just went back and tried that and it worked. I right clicked on the mod file as I had already associated it with the s3modld.exe file and clicked open and the files just all spawned. Thanks will test some more tomorrow. I have to go to work in the morning.
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 8:56 AM
Yup, using "%1" (with quotes) instead of %1 (with no quotes) did the trick. Thanks for your help, Wes.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#45 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 2:09 PM
OK, great. I know I wrote the programs using the "standard" methods that work many versions of windows back, although I doubt Sims 3 itself works on the pre-XP versions. Glad you got it going.

<* Wes *>

Test Subject
#46 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 3:40 PM
Hi Wes, I have updated the S3Object Import/Export Tools to V0.12
I then imported an object mesh into Milkshape and exported the same mesh with no changes to the mesh at all and get this error?

Err: Model has 1 groups: original had 0.

here are the model statistics if that helps?

Any way to correct this? or am i missing something with the new tool?

Thanks Wes.

<Rick>

Home of most of my creations.

Custom Sims 3

http://www.sapphiresims2.com/
Alchemist
Original Poster
#47 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 4:48 PM
Rick:

Please post up the original MLOD/MODL for me so I can replicate the problem. It appears the decompiler has made a bad .mcfg file, as that is where the exporter obtains the original group count from. There is probably something unusual about the way that one is built.

<* Wes *>

Test Subject
#48 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 9:08 PM
Here you go wes,
this seems to be happening to all my files so it may be something i missed?
I just tried the Country Stove and it said err: Model has 2 groups: original had 0.

Not sure what i might have missed?
Attached files:
File Type: zip  S3model.zip (3.5 KB, 29 downloads) - View custom content

Custom Sims 3

Alchemist
Original Poster
#49 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 9:38 PM Last edited by WesHowe : 12th Aug 2009 at 1:16 AM.
This is aggravating, because it works here perfectly.

The "original had 0" is because the exporter plugin was unable to open the file "S3_00000001_0000000000BB8E4A_01661233_cfg.mcfg" to locate the number of original groups. This appears to have something to do with the path, because if you try to force it to open a different file than what it is expecting, you would get a different error message.

I don't think you are doing something "wrong" but something is not happening the same way there as elsewhere, including here. Let me think of a suitable way to test this.

Just on a lark, what is the full path name to where your file is saved?

EDIT:
OK, there may be an issue with GetPrivateProfileInt() and Vista-64 with UAC enabled. I can code around this anyway, and I will get you to test this before a general release.

EDIT2:
I have a test version sent out on this. While it may well be a problem with the Windows and how it is configured there, if I can code around it, there is no reason not to do so. I shall refrain from saying what I really think about the root cause, because it would be inappropriate language and very unflattering to a certain large software company that habitually produces sloppy work.

Test Subject
#50 Old 12th Aug 2009 at 3:04 AM
Wes i used the test exporter you gave me and it gave me a new error but in the process it let me know what i was doing wrong,
I now know it will no longer allow me to use a unique name on the file during export unless i clone the file and give the clone a unique name before importing it,
now i know i should use the original byte name always unless i clone and give it a new name first, leaving the _cfg.mcfg.

Custom Sims 3

Page 2 of 3