Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jan 2013 at 8:22 AM
Default Need help in converting adult clothes into child clothes
So,
I wanted to convert adult clothes into child clothes...
To convert it into teen was easy because there was a scale code (X,Y,Z = 0.94)
But I never found a scale code for children....

Can you give me the code?
Or where can I find the code?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 20th Jan 2013 at 7:26 PM
Sorry to disappoint you, but there is no code. Not all parts of the mesh are scaled at the same value. Kids have larger feet, longer torsos, and shorter legs relative to adults, and if you convert from an adult male to a child, you'll also have the wide shoulders to contend with. Toddlers are even worse (very short legs, relatively speaking)!

You can start by scaling down the mesh overall, but at some point you'll have to go area by area and try to line up the various body parts with those on an existing child mesh. It can be done, though, and once you've done it a few times it's not too difficult or time-consuming. (Check out some of my recent adult-to-child conversions here, here, and here for an idea of what can be done. All of these had to be done piece by piece... otherwise, they would have legs that were too long, feet that were too small, and animations that wouldn't look quite right.)
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Jan 2013 at 8:50 PM Last edited by Jawusa : 20th Jan 2013 at 9:52 PM.
Thank you for the helpful reply!
And I really like your three conversions, there're cute!

Well, I'm not sure about it... it's too difficult for me..
because I'm a newbie in meshing and converting clothes...

I see, you have a lot of converted outfits!
Do you have also this outfit?

If not, do you have time to convert it for me?
Because I never converted adult mesh into child mesh because it's too difficult...

Anyway, thanks for telling me that there isn't really a code for scaling

Edit: unfortunately, I did not found this outfit converted for children... nobody converted it here in MTS
Mad Poster
#4 Old 20th Jan 2013 at 9:33 PM
The picture's not showing up, so I'm not sure which outfit you mean.

Many Maxis outfits have been converted for kids. Check out Cocomama's stuff; she has a few adult-to-child conversions of Maxis outfits. You can also search the downloads by age conversion. Perhaps the outfit you're looking for has already been done.

Age converting is definitely not a beginner's project, but it's not so terribly advanced that it's impossible. Get familiar with making some meshes, and then give age converting another try.
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Jan 2013 at 9:50 PM Last edited by Jawusa : 26th Jan 2013 at 12:01 PM.
I meant this outfit here...
I hope you see it

Anyway... maybe I can convert adult clothes into teen but I don't think that I can convert it to child ... I tried it... the hands aren't the same size the rescaled body is really thin.. (it looks really weird) and the ankle aren't the same size...

It's like I used the cheat streckskeleton...
Mad Poster
#6 Old 20th Jan 2013 at 10:52 PM
Ahh... Hands and feet are a special case. It's easiest to cut off the adult hands and attach a pair of child hands. Same thing with the feet (if they're bare), but you can usually get away with just resizing the feet and making sure the ankle vertices are at the right height.

The body looks thin because you can't just rescale all at once. Sometimes you need to scale down on the Y axis a bit more... sometimes you need to scale down on the X and Z axes more (especially in the shoulder area, if you started with an adult male mesh). It's trial and error, really. You just keep reshaping it until it's got roughly the same dimensions as an existing child mesh and all the joint vertices (like at the elbows, knees, hips... anywhere the Sim bends, really) are in the same place as on a child mesh.

I'm actually surprised nobody has converted that outfit for kids; it looks like it would be quite useful. However, I don't have time to do any meshing these days (even if I did, there are a bunch of other projects in my "to-do" pile).
Sockpuppet
#7 Old 20th Jan 2013 at 11:42 PM
values are:
X 0.629
Y 0.684
Z 0.68

Scale from origin.
When done move the mesh 0.017 forward(Z)

Fix the neck and your done.
To finetune you can scale the X up 1.1, selecting from the first row below nipples all the way down to the feet.
It will straighten his torso an match hips, legs and feet.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 21st Jan 2013 at 12:44 AM
You can try those values, but keep in mind that the Sim might not animate properly. I had this happen when I converted a child mesh to a toddler size. I wasn't careful enough with the fine-tuning and ended up with what looked like triple-jointed elbows when the Sim was in the game (because I had simply scaled down without paying attention to where the bendy bits were positioned). It was good for a laugh and easily fixable... but it reinforced the point that a simple scaling will not look quite right.
Sockpuppet
#9 Old 21st Jan 2013 at 10:19 AM
Child to toddler is indeed very hard but the above values for adult(male) to child are pretty acurate.
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 21st Jan 2013 at 11:42 AM
Thank you for the scaling codes BloomsBase

Can't wait to test it out
Sockpuppet
#11 Old 21st Jan 2013 at 12:24 PM
Let me know,
i done so many this way so im a bit surprised i got a dissagree on the previous post....
If it was you peeps, plz try it out
Mad Poster
#12 Old 21st Jan 2013 at 7:36 PM
It wasn't me who disagreed. Must've been someone else...

I've done so many age conversions that I know a one-size-fits-all scaling process doesn't give me the results I want. I always end up having to tweak certain areas. For example, I don't like the look of the tiny feet that straight conversions tend to give. But other people don't seem to mind. If you're happy with the results, that's what matters, right?
Sockpuppet
#13 Old 21st Jan 2013 at 8:54 PM
Try it i would say.
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#14 Old 25th Jan 2013 at 11:20 AM
So, I finally converted this outfit

But now, the neck is a bit strange... and in the fat version too...
In the fat version, the boy haves strange shoulders..

And he is a bit... thin ?

How can I fix these 'little' things?
Sockpuppet
#15 Old 25th Jan 2013 at 12:54 PM
normally he shouldn't be that thin, is suspect you scaled him a bit to much
I presonal would not scale the fatmorph(as those are very diffrent), it is much easier to recreate one with Cmars toolkit.
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 25th Jan 2013 at 1:41 PM
I scaled the values above

And fix his neck (how you said it)
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#17 Old 25th Jan 2013 at 1:43 PM
I'll mesh it again.. I believe I did something wrong
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#18 Old 25th Jan 2013 at 3:53 PM
Alright,

Now, he isn't too thin anymore but I have two new issues... :/

On his outfit, there're distortions and it's ripped...

The second issue is, his neck..? I see, the skintone isn't the same..
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 25th Jan 2013 at 4:00 PM
Huh, I can't do it!

It's too difficult..
thanks for the help everyone

I'll make a request someone to convert this outfit..
Sockpuppet
#20 Old 25th Jan 2013 at 5:20 PM
upload the mesh so i can have a try?
Can not remember correct but the normals are diffrent i guess oin the neck.
You can copy them from a reference mesh
Mad Poster
#21 Old 25th Jan 2013 at 7:11 PM
You were almost there, Jawusa. Don't give up!

The neck issue will happen whenever you resize an outfit. It's no big deal. What you have to do is copy the vertex and normal assignments from an existing child mesh (just for the ring of vertices around the neck) onto your resized mesh. Then the line will disappear when you view it in the game.

As for the "rip" on the back of the shoulders... Check to make sure that didn't exist in the adult version. There are mistakes in some Maxis meshes; it could be an issue with the original. Otherwise, it looks like a small bone assignment issue. The distortion (I'm assuming you mean the bumps just under his arms) can be fixed by selecting just those vertices and fine-tuning the scaling. You probably only need to scale a tiny bit on the X axis.
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#22 Old 26th Jan 2013 at 11:56 AM
I tried to fix these issues...

But I could fix only one issue unfortunately... :/
It isn't ripped anymore but the neck is still the same...
I really need help at the neck... can someone do it for me?

I'll upload the mesh files if someone can do it
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#23 Old 26th Jan 2013 at 11:59 AM
By the way,
here are the mesh files
Sockpuppet
#24 Old 26th Jan 2013 at 1:55 PM
the meshes are perfect, you did start with a child outfit as base for the conversion right?
Only finetuning is the neckseam, other then that they look very good
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#25 Old 26th Jan 2013 at 9:40 PM
I imported first the child mesh then the adult mesh.
Then scaled the adult body, moved it and finetuned it and tried to fix the neck

Now, I'm not sure what to do exactly to fix the neck
Page 1 of 2