Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Apr 2006 at 9:35 AM
Default Hair animation fix for Unimesh!
Don't know if thats been posted before but I just figured this one out and wanted to share right away :D

Until now I had no success assigning b_hair, r_hair, l_hair, etc bones in Milkshape. Parts of the hair mesh would just disappear or start “bleeding” through. After trying different tools and tricks I finally found a quick fix: SMD format!

Here is what I did. I finished the hair mesh in Milkshape, including assigning several animation bones (r_hair and l_hair). Exported it with Unimesh and imported it back to SimPe. All the usual steps so far. Then I exported one GMDC group at a time into SMD format and imported it right back! That’s all it took to “fix” the hair mesh! The hair worked just fine after that .

Big thanks of course goes to Wes for Unimesh plugins and SkankyBoy for SMD Exporter!
Advertisement
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#2 Old 24th Apr 2006 at 9:41 AM
WOW! That's amazing. Now I'll have to relook at assignments.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#3 Old 24th Apr 2006 at 9:44 AM
This makes me way more excited than it probably should. Thanks so much for sharing. I can't wait to give it a try.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Apr 2006 at 9:57 AM
Forgot to add, currently the mesh becomes unreadable by Unimesh plugin after using SMD format. Don't try to import it back to Milkshape. But you can keep the original Milkshape file and reuse it when you need to make additional changes. Just repeat SMD export/import steps again.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 24th Apr 2006 at 11:16 AM
awesome
i love u for this
thanks
i was always wanting to figure this
Instructor
#6 Old 24th Apr 2006 at 11:59 AM
A big thank you for the great news - I'll spread the word and send my friends on this thread.

Marvine and Beosboxboy at InSIMenator.net and Gay Sims Club 2
Scholar
#7 Old 24th Apr 2006 at 7:11 PM
Sounds awesome!!

Do you also have some tips on wich parts of the hair should be assigned to what?

Please visit WickedNoukFamily Forum for my creations.
Can't take requests, I'm completely swamped with unfinished projects! :O
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 24th Apr 2006 at 8:17 PM
I extracted few Maxis hair meshes and took a look which bones were used where . As I understand, the animation bone serves as a center around which the hair part will rotate during movement. The position of the bone is actually the answer where that bone should be used.

c_hair - center of the head. Not sure yet about this one. Something on top of the head.

f_hair - front of the head, used for animating bangs. I tried to use it in my mesh, it works but needs more experimenting.

r_hair - right side of the head. I used it for right-side pigtail for example. The vertices at the base of the pigtail are assigned to head bone, a bit farther from the head they are assigned to both r_hair and head, farther more to the end of the pigtail all the vertices are assigned to r_hair.

l_hair - left side of the head. Same as above only with l_hair.

b_hair - back of the head. My guess you will find it used with ponytails.

Quick note about smd plugin. If you're getting a black window with no text visilble when using smd importer, change the color theme of your Windows. That black background happens if your Windows is set to Windows XP silver color theme.

In smd importer select "3 bones per vertex", second radio button from the bottom.
Screenshots
Instructor
#9 Old 24th Apr 2006 at 10:00 PM
omg if this works ill freaking love you forever!
Alchemist
#10 Old 24th Apr 2006 at 10:00 PM
This is a very interesting discovery.
If I can divine what is being changed in the smd plugin from the way I have been making things, perhaps I can fix this. And if not, well here is a solution.
<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Test Subject
#11 Old 24th Apr 2006 at 10:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DJ_Mur3
omg if this works ill freaking love you forever!

It does work, I animated some of my hair meshes already!

~Charlie

I Do not take ANY requests!

Visit my TSR FA site!
Scholar
#12 Old 24th Apr 2006 at 10:44 PM Last edited by Nouk : 24th Apr 2006 at 11:14 PM.
Marry me!!! We'll have smart children!!! J/k

Thank you for this information! You don´t know how happy I am about this

The smd importer is used in Simpe, right? Right! *Runs off to try it on a mesh*

*EDIT*

Figured it out

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 24th Apr 2006 at 11:04 PM
LOL! Just hope this works for all of you!

Nouk, in geometry data container uncheck all the models (groups) except one and click on Export button. Smd format can only take one group.
Scholar
#14 Old 24th Apr 2006 at 11:15 PM
Ah thank you! You're a sweetheart to share this with us
Did you notice the mesh preview in SimPE looks completely white?

*Edit: Sadly it didn't work on my mesh. The mesh didn't show up on my sims head.

Is there something I missed? I checked the 3 weights button, and replaced the original groups. Did I have to edit anything else?

Instructor
#15 Old 24th Apr 2006 at 11:16 PM
Well, if the joints weren't previously assigned to those joints, then they wouldnt animate if you just changed old meshes. I'm assuming, because you'd have to readd the joint assignments. Just thinking.. I haven't tried it yet. Just.. thinking. ...yeah
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 24th Apr 2006 at 11:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nouk
Sadly it didn't work on my mesh. The mesh didn't show up on my sims head.

Is there something I missed? I checked the 3 weights button, and replaced the original groups. Did I have to edit anything else?
Did you set your mesh to accept 3 bones in Milkshape? So you could use multiple bone assingments? NumSkinWgts: 3. Also the mesh would not show up if vertices were not assinged to the bones at all. And one more check, did the mesh work before?
Scholar
#17 Old 24th Apr 2006 at 11:31 PM
The mesh worked before: check
Three weights in Milkshape: check
vertices assigned: check

When I replace the groups with the smd's, the mesh looses al defenitions (shade and such) in the SimPE preview. A pure white hairshaped stain
Plus, the skeleton has dissapeared.

Ii replaced it with the original again (with original assignments as well) and it works fine again. But ofcourse no animations

Instructor
#18 Old 25th Apr 2006 at 12:15 AM
Uh.. I tried it and It didn't work. I know what I did wrong though..
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 25th Apr 2006 at 12:30 AM
Hmmm... Nouk, maybe its just the preview that goes weird. Did you actually check the mesh in bodyshop? Don't know what else to suggest.
Scholar
#20 Old 25th Apr 2006 at 9:04 AM
Yes, the mesh does not show up in Bodyshop at all...
I wonder, do you just edit Maxis meshes, or do you add whole new parts as well? Because that is what I do...

Test Subject
#21 Old 25th Apr 2006 at 9:14 AM
Thx for the information! I will try it later. Anyone know how to use the milkshape plugin by demon432? I don't have time to figure it out. :/
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 25th Apr 2006 at 9:18 AM
To Nouk:
One completely new mesh, one partially modified Maxis mesh with add ons - both worked. I use Milkshape 1.7.8 Beta, SimPE 058.

Update your SimPE perhaps? Maybe your smd importer is damaged. It just strange.
Scholar
#23 Old 25th Apr 2006 at 11:19 AM
Hmm maybe I'm missing some settings or something... after I press 'import', I get a new screen, in wich I can choose if I can replace, add, etc. Is there something special you do there?

I have Milkshape 1.7.8 but the new version, not the beta. I have the latest Simpe.

Maybe I can send you the mesh, so you can try as well? I might be missing something somewhere.

Test Subject
#24 Old 25th Apr 2006 at 3:43 PM
Nouk, if this doesn't work, try Fragmotion, it's a shareware prgram (but well worth it), it's basically almost the same as milkhsape but I find Fragmotion easier to assign bones and such.

~Charlie

I Do not take ANY requests!

Visit my TSR FA site!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 25th Apr 2006 at 6:07 PM
Nouk is having problem with smd import in SimPe, Charlie. Doesn't matter if its Fragmotion or Milkshape mesh. But thanks for trying to help

Nouk, I sent you my email address, send me the mesh, I will take a look.
Page 1 of 4