Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 1807
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 8131 (Who?), Viewed: 295930 times.
Search this Thread
Old Yesterday, 12:31 AM #8126
smorbie1
Mad Poster

1 Achievements

Wow! Sounds great. I don't think it would work in my hoods, but man that does sound like fun.

The last time my hood went kablooey, I took all my notes and index cards and recreated all the sims in a new hood. The story was that they had a nuclear attack from another hood, and the people were refugeed to some land their country had already conquered. The radiation explained why I was not able to recreate their appearance. I didn't even try to do that. I was able to get most of my families back together, though, and I picked right back up where I was.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://bulbizarre.neocities.org/
Old Yesterday, 1:47 AM #8127
lordtyger9
Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAlien
That's the plan, yes, using the CAS alien skins. I'm currently playing Sims and PlantSims as two different species with different cultures and roles to play in their merged society. There are also aliens 'out there', trying to find a safe place to live as their home planet is becoming uninhabitable. The Sim king is naturally very worried about their incursions (he doesn't know they're fleeing certain death and assumes they're planning an invasion), and Sims who have been abducted are exiled to the Sedona desert as traitors. Eventually, the aliens will successfully land a ship and the PlantSim Matriarchs, hearing their story, will persuade the king to let them stay in Sedona, where the PlantSims will keep an eye on them. What neither race knows is that PlantSim and alien were originally one species, who came to their two different planets during a much earlier diaspora. They think their cultures are very different, but there are underlying similarities, too.

Of course, all this supposes that I'm actually able to keep the game going for several years, which I've never managed before!

@ BlueAlien

Best of Luck in having a long lived Neighborhood. Your set up has some similarities to my own game. I created several different Aien groups in CAS and I have a Story Line in which the various Alien groups came here as Colonists, intending to slowly take over by Interbreeding, first Strangetown and then all of the other 'hoods eventually is their aim.

I don't have but one PlantSim at this point, but I figure I might eventually have some more PlantSims, as I do like the one that comes with the game.

Anyway I like your story line.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM #8128
Sketching
Inventor

1 Achievements

I've been putting it off for a while since I haven't been played a modern, non-fantasy, non-themed hood for about a year or so, but I think I managed to edit everything required to put those economies to my scale. The last time I played one, a sim in an NPC career had a salary that surpassed a university graduate's EAxis career pay in a way that didn't make sense because I edited the EAxis careers and forgot to do the same with the other money-making activities. I don't mind hardworking sims getting more money than a slacker university graduate, yet the scale was seriously off to me. I like the more reasonable changes so far, at least.

In other news, my friend wondered why my game had much less lag than his and asked me to check his out. Well, besides the sheer amount of CC which resulted in us waiting 30 minutes for his heavy-duty computer to even load to the neighborhood selection screen, he had numerous hairs that were nearly 45, 000-poly with 45 different textures and tops and bottoms that were around 10, 000-poly each. I told him that if he wanted to have a non-stop-motion live mode again, he was going to have to do some serious clean-up.

That was how we spent the first time we met up in ages overhauling his downloads folder, in which there were several, "Dude, you can't delete that hair!", "What are these number strings?", "Woah, I didn't know I even had that!", "What are these invalid shortcut files doing inside your folder?" and "These are recolors for an item you don't have a mesh for."

Ah, the trials and tribulations of cleaning up CC folders.
Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM #8129
Sunrader
Top Secret Researcher

2 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketching
In other news, my friend wondered why my game had much less lag than his and asked me to check his out. Well, besides the sheer amount of CC which resulted in us waiting 30 minutes for his heavy-duty computer to even load to the neighborhood selection screen, he had numerous hairs that were nearly 45, 000-poly with 45 different textures and tops and bottoms that were around 10, 000-poly each. I told him that if he wanted to have a non-stop-motion live mode again, he was going to have to do some serious clean-up.

Did you use Delphy's Organizer? I found that super helpful for this, because I sorted by size. Then, it became clear which files were so huge and I could tell what type they were so it made deleting them easy. I was shocked to find that the largest file I had was, literally, a pile of manure - for a farm set. Needless to say, I did not need a super poly pile of [email protected] in my game... DELETE!
Old Yesterday, 3:14 PM #8130
Sketching
Inventor

1 Achievements

Unfortunately, we couldn't since we didn't have access to the internet at the time and couldn't download it, so you can imagine us manually and painstakingly going through every single folder! I'm just glad that he had SimPE at the very least. He said I was absolutely brutal too, yet we had no choice if we wanted more than what felt like 1/2 FPS.

I remember when I had to cull my folders the first time; it was especially painful with the male CAS items because they don't have as much to begin with and many of the new ones I wanted were too high-poly to survive the cut. I'm sorry, Amazingly High Poly Short Hair #5, it just wasn't mean to be. I'll keep you in my storage for the impossible possibility that I will one day learn to lower poly counts and maybe, one day, we can be together again.
Old Yesterday, 7:43 PM #8131
PenelopeT
Theorist

11 Achievements

RT 1: Playing tennis today (on a really hot day no less) really makes me wish tennis was an option in the game. As someone who sometimes enjoys outdoor summer activities (e.g., bicycling, tennis, kayaking, hiking), I'd love for sims to be able to do more outdoor physical activities as well.

RT 2: Starting to think creating custom neighborhoods (got an idea for a desert one earlier today) and sims with interesting backstories are my new ways of 'playing' the game for the time being. It's sort of like spending hours downloading content, and then saying "It was really fun playing the game today".

RT 3: Realized while lot building that though I love the look of a two-story home with a foundation, I really prefer playing one-story homes that are not on a foundation. Kind of sucks when the theme of the 'hood looks better with brownstones and apartments.

"It would be most inconvenient since I've sworn to loathe him for all eternity." ~ Elizabeth Bennet

"You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope." ~ Captain Frederick Wentworth
Old Yesterday, 8:11 PM #8132
Misty_2004
Theorist

7 Achievements

I love building and looking at brownstone-type dwellings too. In TS3 I built them just to look at (replaced those ugly apartment-looking buildings that were actually one-family dwellings in Sunset Valley with them) and after apartments became available upgraded them for Townies. I think similar can be done in TS2 with AL can't it? I want to do a similar thing in TS2, get all the Townies and such moved into apartments, just need to learn how. One of my favorite things in TS3 is how all the service workers in TS3 moved into apartments after I built them.

And as much as I don't like sports I can appreciate tennis and if it was an option for my Sims I would have some of the sports-minded Sims play it.

Speaking of managing CC it's a pain in the rear to keep things clean but I found usually worth it. Put all new stuff into an isolation folder. I like putting new object meshes in their own special place and sometimes end up with quite a few sub-folders. After I check it out in-game I can easily find it again with SimCat. If it makes the cut I'll add it to a collection if it should be in one and then use SimCat to move it to a permanent location. At the end of the sorting I check the folders I stuck stuff in for orphan textures and other junk. It takes a while (temporarily moving out stuff that SimCat doesn't need to crawl through speeds it up considerably) but in the end it's time well spent. Occasionally I'll go through in-game objects looking for textures I'll never use and delete those. I've always kept my DL folder pruned to the point where my Sims game would take no longer than five minutes to load. A person can really only use about so much in their game anyway.

Section jump: