Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 3:13 PM Last edited by CoffeenSimming : 6th Mar 2019 at 5:16 PM.
Default Help in how to not get overwhelmed installing store content ideas?
Looking for thoughts on ways to install store content after fresh install. Would you install when you think you need it? Would you install in batches such as new hairs a little at a time? According to expansion? Does anyone really have all expansions, world's and store content installed all at once? Feeling overwhelmed with how to start small and gradually add more.

Pc Specs

Processor Intel Core I5 3.00 Ghz
Installed Ram 8 GB
64 Bit Operating system
Graphics card Nvidia Ge force Gtx 1060 3GB
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 4:03 PM
I probably won't use store content for hair style or clothing. But for custom objects. I would probably get Midnight hollow first because it gives the ability to own and create shops. And then the bakery. And then probably the farming stuff like chicken and cow.
I have all the expansions installed and the content I listed above + some more + some CCs and a lot of mods installed as well.
You should post your computer's specs too. That will give us a better idea about how much your computer can handle.

If you like my mods. Consider supporting me on Patreon
Check out my website for updates on my mods and other work PuddingFace.wixsite.com
Check out my Youtube channel for tutorials(modding tutorials) and other content Youtube

Follow me on Twitter Instagram Pinterest Tumblr
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 4:54 PM
Thank you for your ideas. I think for me it more about how I should introduce things to the game more than having a lot installed. Such as is there any store items that are thought as must haves for base game, like you mentioned midnight hollow and the bakery items. Good idea.I will edit my first post with my specs.

Quote: Originally posted by PuddingFace
You should post your computer's specs too. That will give us a better idea about how much your computer can handle.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 7th Mar 2019 at 1:55 AM
I find it overwhelming to have everything....all ep's stuff packs and all the store content and custom content installed at once. When starting a new folder I like to have the store/ content I use most installed first. So for me that isn't Midnight Hollow or the Bakery but The Man Cave compilation, The Brunch At the Old Mill and Riverview just because it came first. I just install what is relevant to the story I am working on; this usually means every pack up to Late Night as I love having a piano in the house. It just makes my sims home feel more comfortable somehow. And I always need Ambitions, it brings so much extra game play. And Gnubb, How can you have a park without Gnubb, it's just no fun!
This link is to a forum post by ciane who has given a great deal of thought to reinstalling your store stuff. I found it useful to be reminded of what is in compilation to avoid duplicates, it might have some ideas for you. I find my 7 year old machine isn't up to having everything in one game folder given my cc addiction.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/di...all-store-items
Alchemist
#5 Old 7th Mar 2019 at 11:07 AM
When I install new Store content, I like to convert the sims3packs to packages; it makes content easier to manage (I can just delete a file instead of going through the Launcher) and I can pick and choose what I want (I don't think I have any complete sets installed). The latter also allows me to preview the packages in-game to see whether I want them or not, since some of EA's hairstyles can look better or worse in-game than in their previews.
You can also convert worlds to packages and pick what content you want e.g. having the Titanic Toy Machine without installing all of Midnight Hollow.

Ultimately it's up to you to decide what you want/need in accordance to your playstyle. If you don't play sims who farm, for example, you probably won't have much use for the cow pen and chicken coop.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Scholar
#6 Old 7th Mar 2019 at 2:34 PM
Your computer is very good. I don't think you'll have to worry about lag. Your specs are much higher than mine and if my computer can handle it yours can too. Keep in mind that some of the store content is badly optimized and you may have to get fixes for them. I don't have links for the fixes but someone else here might. There's only 4 files for the fixes as far as I know.

I don't recommend Stuff Packs at all. I find them to be kind of useless. No offence to anyone that likes them. Stuff packs don't give any new gameplay just a bunch of extra items. You can already get many items for free using CC. And Sims 3 has create a style so you can already customize the items you have to look different.
For store content I recommend the same criteria, check which item's gameplay is most important. Being able to open your own shops is really cool and there's mods that further enhances those store content shops. Then there's Dragon Valley that gives you a few tiny dragons and a Violin and a new world.
Have you already installed the expansions? I recommend expansions first and then go for store content. You may be able to get the expansions cheaper via online shopping websites as opposed to Origin. There's also the Multitab(Tablet) and Greenhouse. Ooh and the toddler walker is on sale https://store.thesims3.com/productD...ategoryId=13145 Get it now if you want.

Check out my website for updates on my mods and other work PuddingFace.wixsite.com
Check out my Youtube channel for tutorials(modding tutorials) and other content Youtube

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Mar 2019 at 6:41 PM
@Puddingface

Thank you for all the great tips. I am actually reinstalling right now. I decided to finally ditch my Origin install and since I bought on Steam I am downloading on Steam. Seems like I spent most of my time fussing with the launcher on Origin and the idea of having to have Origin does not thrill me. I do not have Into the future, Supernatural no interest is those two, or Showtime, not sure if this one is worth getting, but maybe on a steam sale, a few of the stuff packs I do not have. I got mine on the Steam summer sale for about five or seven dollars. Do you play premades ? or do you play custom towns ? I am interested in taking a look at the Storybrook pre made town when my games finishes downloading, if that ever commences. , my dl has been running since yesterday and I am about 50 percent. Origin did seem to install quicker, but I am trying to hang in here and hope that Steam will be a better experience.
Inventor
#8 Old 7th Mar 2019 at 7:06 PM
I use MATY's recompressor to decrap and compress Sims3Pack files. Then I convert those files to Package files, and finally I use S3PE to MERGE them into 0,99 GB package files.

I don't have ALL Store content but I have a considerable amount (4GB) and I also have some CC (4.,5GB), mainly hairs, skins, accesories, shoes and BB objects + all EPs/SPs and my game runs perfectly fine.

Granted, I do my best to optimize by merging packages, setting most high quality CAS items as NOT Valid For Random and being VERY nitpicky when it comes to content, testing packages for a month before merging, etc. Loading times are also super fast, a minute, more or less, for existing save games (less than a minute to travel to other worlds).
Scholar
#9 Old 7th Mar 2019 at 8:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CoffeenSimming
@Puddingface

Thank you for all the great tips. I am actually reinstalling right now. I decided to finally ditch my Origin install and since I bought on Steam I am downloading on Steam. Seems like I spent most of my time fussing with the launcher on Origin and the idea of having to have Origin does not thrill me. I do not have Into the future, Supernatural no interest is those two, or Showtime, not sure if this one is worth getting, but maybe on a steam sale, a few of the stuff packs I do not have. I got mine on the Steam summer sale for about five or seven dollars. Do you play premades ? or do you play custom towns ? I am interested in taking a look at the Storybrook pre made town when my games finishes downloading, if that ever commences. , my dl has been running since yesterday and I am about 50 percent. Origin did seem to install quicker, but I am trying to hang in here and hope that Steam will be a better experience.

In case of premade towns I go for Moonlight falls (Supernatural's world). It has a lot of the other expansion's lots but also a lot of free space for your own lots. Sunset valley is also not bad but not enough free space. I don't use the other towns as much. For custom towns I have used grey meadows and loved it. It had a very Gotham city vibe which I really liked. Haven't tried Storybrook yet. As for expansions honestly I recommend getting them all but it's your wish. Yes waiting for a sale is better if you aren't as interested. As for showtime it's not rated very high by the community compared to the others but I enjoyed it and I like that even when I am not using a showtime career there's still these occasional concerts by other Sims and my Sims can go watch and have fun.

Steam is better than Origin imo but Steam doesn't work with disk versions I think unless you use registry editing. A full disk install is better if you ask me.
Woah your download is taking a lot of time. How much GB are you downloading?

Inventor
#10 Old 8th Mar 2019 at 1:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PuddingFace
Steam is better than Origin imo but Steam doesn't work with disk versions I think unless you use registry editing.

It does work, but you have to buy and install the Steam base game, install the disk base game and any EPs/SPs you want, update to 1.67 using the SuperPatch, copy-paste any folder inside Steam/Steamapps/common/The Sims 3, rename it to EPX/SPX (where X the number of EP/SP in chronological order) and then go to regedit and add some keys for the Steam game to think you have those EPs installed.

I did this at first, but then I bought every SP / EP on Steam and I deleted the registry keys and folder and install everything using Steam.
Scholar
#11 Old 8th Mar 2019 at 12:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
It does work, but you have to buy and install the Steam base game, install the disk base game and any EPs/SPs you want, update to 1.67 using the SuperPatch, copy-paste any folder inside Steam/Steamapps/common/The Sims 3, rename it to EPX/SPX (where X the number of EP/SP in chronological order) and then go to regedit and add some keys for the Steam game to think you have those EPs installed.

I did this at first, but then I bought every SP / EP on Steam and I deleted the registry keys and folder and install everything using Steam.

That's good to know thanks. I'll do that for my next computer since one or two of my discs is not working properly anymore.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 8th Mar 2019 at 8:29 PM
My download is finally finished 3 days it took 21 GB. Do I need to superpatch the all Steams version ? I just want to make sure I do not screw anything up because I never want to wait for that install again HAHA. What is the best way to back up the original files so if something goes wrong I can just replace and not have to reinstall ? And I think I know which mods I need as far as essential for not corruption. .. Next sale I think I may consider getting Showtime, but not really convinced on Supernatural and Into the Future, and then I would say ohhhhh well now I have to finish off with the stuff packs haha.. so maybe it is best if I just don/t get to close to having them all LOL
I do not have the Movie stuff, 70's 80's and Diesel stuff and like I said Showtime, Supernatual and Into the Future, any convincing me of I really need these ???