Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Mar 2009 at 8:22 PM
Default The Greek pantheon gets a makeover
Years ago, I made a comic that was a comical rendition of Greek myths in modern times. I decided to give my characters a makeover, starting with Melpomene, the muse of tragedy. She's always been one of my favourites, despite her whiny nature - then again, it's understandable. When your job is to inspire artists to write plays about sorrow and death, how can you manage to stay in a decent mood? And can you imagine having eternal life while always being sad? *shudder*
Her former style was very plain, she was merely a tall, thin woman with a perpetually miserable expression, and wearing a sad mask around her neck. Thalia was her very opposite, short, podgy, with a perma-grin. In this new version, Melpomene's an emo kid. I think I like her even more now, but she makes me want to give her a hug Cheer up, Melpie.

Ye olde Melpomene:

Eeeeemo-Melpie:

More deities to come, of course. I'm planning on modernising most of them
Advertisement
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#2 Old 28th Mar 2009 at 9:03 PM
Thalia, the muse of comedy! She's in charge of inspiring playwrights for whatever funny pieces they may want to write. More podgy and smiley than her sister Melpomene, of course, but somewhat immature. Just imagine someone who drops anvils on your head, banana peels under your feet, then proceeds to tell you something about your mum and add sexual innuendo. That's Thalia. Good thing it'll never get her hurt, right? Hurray for godliness.

I imagine her wearing very vivid colours, hence the hippy-ish outfit.

Classic Thalia (she looks saaaaad!):

Hippie Thalia:
Mad Poster
#3 Old 28th Mar 2009 at 9:08 PM
These are lovely- I'm something of a fanatic/expert about Greek history and mythology, so naturally your sketches trip my trigger. I love Thalia in particular, and I can't wait to see what you do with the Olympic pantheon.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Mar 2009 at 9:26 PM
Ooooh, I have several more, Rabid, I just didn't feel like posting them all them at once

Here's some more.

Aphrodite, goddess of beauty, love and sexual desire. Aphrodite was born... well, that's a bit embarrassing, really... from the scrotum of the Sky-God Ouranos after it fell into the sea after being severed by his own unborn offspring during intercourse (oh, those Greeks). She's known to have slept with countless gods, including (what a surprise) Zeus. She got married to Hephaestus, the repulsive god of fire, through a cunning scheme of his, and promptly cheated on him with the maaaaaanly god of war. Aphrodite has the unpleasant tendancy to a) shag virtually everything that moves and b) make whoever annoys her sexually deviant (she's directly responsible for the birth of the Minotaur... put two and two together).

Aphrodite Callipygos (litt. Lovely-butted Aphrodite):

Scantily clad Aphrodite (find the Sims reference!):
Theorist
#5 Old 28th Mar 2009 at 9:28 PM
LOL woohoo icon Bag

These are really quirky and great, Good fun to read and see too!

BodyShopped /// ShoofleedSims
♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 28th Mar 2009 at 9:49 PM
Petchy gets an ambrosia-flavoured cookie :D

Hephaestus, the god of fire, blacksmiths and various precious stuff you find underground (gold, gems...) was post-natally aborted by his parents, Zeus and Hera. By this, I mean they chucked him down Mt Olympus, for very shallow reasons: he was a VERY ugly baby. After falling down for nine days (someone had cast Feather Fall on him or something), he hit every branch of the ugly tree and hit the ground, making him lame for the rest of his life. However, he finally found his way back among the other Olympians by showing the talent he had developed for blacksmithing. Hephaestus forged the lightning, Zeus' weapon of choice, and designed a trapped chair to constrain his own mother until she'd get him married to the beautiful Aphrodite.

Classic Hephaestus:

Uglier Hephaestus:
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Apr 2009 at 12:35 AM
Ares, the god of war, murder, frenzy, bloodshed and general, mindless violence is one of Zeus' few legitimate sons. Unlike Athena, who covers strategic aspects of combat, Ares is more blind rage-oriented. The city that worships him the most is obviously the brutal, military Sparta.
I first designed him as a rather normal general, but after reading more about his personality, it seemed to me that the "psychopathic soldier on steroids" look would fit him more.

Classic Ares (look at these crazy eyes. LOOK.):

Killing frenzy Ares:
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 4th Apr 2009 at 12:41 AM
Erato, the muse of erotic poetry... yes, the ancient Greeks had one. Don't ask. The only thought that came to my mind when I thought about a muse of erotic poetry was that of a woman dressed in PVC and speaking in raunchy haiku about whips, handcuffs and complicated BDSM contraptions dispensing unfathomable pai- I mean, arousal. Yes, that's it. She could probably make Aphrodite back away slooooowly and pray (to Zeus?) that she doesn't give Ares any ideas..

Classic Erato (rather innocent-looking):

PVC-clad Erato:
Mad Poster
#9 Old 4th Apr 2009 at 12:42 AM
I love Ares . If you ever decide to rework the sketch, it would be sublime if you added his Olympic throne of human flesh.

Mad Poster
#10 Old 4th Apr 2009 at 12:49 AM
Amazing pictures most favourite one is the emo goddess and the Eroctic musa :D

Question, how is Aphrodite involve with minotaurs? Greeks were pervs xD i find minotaur story funny. Correct me if I'm wrong:
Kind of Minos(if i remember right) Loved bulls and prayed to gods that they send him the most perfect bull for the upcoming contest. So the gods( or on of them) did, but said you must sacrifice this bull for me after the contest so I can get him back. Contest went well, and king didn't want to give bull away, cuz he liked him, so he sacrificed different bull. Gods( or god) Were angered and made kings wife fall in love with bull and...woohoo him. This minotaur was concieved...

Jee, and you think modern world is perverted...
Mad Poster
#11 Old 4th Apr 2009 at 1:25 AM
I do so love Greek mythology, but it does get confusing. King Minos' wife Pasiphae once boasted that she was lovelier than Aphrodite, and as punishment, Aphrodite bewitched her to fall in love with King Minos' prized white bull. After Daedalus helped Pasiphae build a wooden cow in which to approach and woo the bull, Pasiphae gave birth to the Minotaur, and Daedalus later built the Cretan Labyrinth to house it.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#12 Old 4th Apr 2009 at 5:07 AM
In the version I read, Minos had just failed to give offerings to Aphrodite for several years, so the goddess made his wife lust for bulls.
And Kyle, I knew the ancients were perverted the day I learnt about Aphrodite being born from a pair of testicles severed by unborn children and fallen into the sea. :D

And to breathe a bit of life in this thread, here is Euterpe, the muse of music, aka the metaphysical DJ from Mt Olympus.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 4th Apr 2009 at 5:15 AM
These are really cool! Thank you for sharing! You have talent!
Field Researcher
#14 Old 8th Apr 2009 at 7:27 PM
Heh, these are great! I especially love Thalia and Euterpe, and Hephaestus made me laugh -in a good way, of course.

"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right."
-Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

Yearbook
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 8th Apr 2009 at 7:38 PM
What great reincarnations of classic figures! Simply amazing (gotta love the woohoo handbag!). Can't wait to see more!
#16 Old 8th Apr 2009 at 8:51 PM
WOW WOW WOW! I'll say that again! You already know I luff those (especially being Greek, it's awesome seeing a modern aspect of the myths) and I can't wait for the tablet to arrive and the comic to start!!
These are awesome, just like you Frenchie!

your first Greek fan, remember this :P
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#17 Old 8th Apr 2009 at 8:51 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone
Ranta, Thalia is one of my favourites, and for some reason, I have an urge to squeeze her cheeks like I would a baby's. Squidge squidge squidge!

Another sketch for you all:

Hermes is the god of thieves, tradespeople, travellers, wit and athletics, born to Zeus and his mistress Maia. He's much of a trickster and the nasty habit to swipe everything he can, all the time; as such, he can prove annoying to many another deity. His function among the gods is that of the supreme Messenger - choosing a mythomaniac, kleptomaniac entity as a trusted courier may be a questionable decision, but you don't argue with Zeus. Whether he was playing favourites with his illegitimate son, whether said son proved reliable or whether his mischief was just endearing remains a mystery so far.

PS: I'm soon getting a graphics tablet. My style hopefully won't suffer too much from the tool changing, and it'll be much easier to colour my stuff!
Mad Poster
#18 Old 8th Apr 2009 at 8:53 PM
LOL at Hermes :laugh:. The winged combat boots are far superior to the winged sandals. Was it him who, as an infant, hid 100 of Apollo's prized cows and sent him into a hissy fit? I never thought of Hermes as a dirty, lowlife thief, but that's priceless. I would love to see your interpretation of Apollo.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#19 Old 8th Apr 2009 at 9:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rabid
LOL at Hermes :laugh:. The winged combat boots are far superior to the winged sandals. Was it him who, as an infant, hid 100 of Apollo's prized cows and sent him into a hissy fit? I never thought of Hermes as a dirty, lowlife thief, but that's priceless. I would love to see your interpretation of Apollo.
Yes, he is That's why I saw him as a kleptomaniac, stealing cattle when he was one day old or so!
Inventor
#20 Old 9th Apr 2009 at 10:26 AM
These are wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing - they've really made my day Frenchie :D

Please call me Laura
"The gene pool needs more chlorine."
My Site
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#21 Old 14th Apr 2009 at 3:06 PM

I coloured Melpie using a very useful "Flatten tools" script for GIMP.
Theorist
#22 Old 14th Apr 2009 at 3:18 PM
Oh, Cool! :D

I just was in Paint.NET and with my Tablet, Wondered how hard it would be to Colourize this myself, and I got an odd effect.. I'll show you when I'm finished.. if thats Ok.
I'm still a newbie Newb at Tableting, so It *will* look basic!

(I did "Hermes" if your wondering )

♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#23 Old 14th Apr 2009 at 3:57 PM
By all means, do show me! And don't worry if it doesn't look all that good, if anything, I'll feel honoured somebody tried to colour my stuff!
Theorist
#24 Old 14th Apr 2009 at 4:04 PM
WELLL.. somehow it turned worse the more I did it.. *sigh*

It kinda give the effect you drew it with Colored pencils, which wasn't what I was trying to do.. In fact, I was trying to cell shade it, then go over it.. but oh well.
I tried going over with a Black Line, but It took away all the colour that was given in most parts (oddness, I know) so.. Oh well!

It was a good exersise for me anyway!

Hermes

♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#25 Old 18th Apr 2009 at 9:50 AM
Have you given the colouring a longer shot, Petchy?

Also a few expressions I drew on the plane. I'm aware Ares' "happy" expression's eyes are too wide now, gah.

And Eris, the Discord.

Page 1 of 3