Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#201 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 7:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by leefish
@meline , thank you for the reply. I am going with the assumption that you are a decent simmer who is trying, but actually, as you say, you don't have the powers to make things stick.

The situation is simple; there is a person whose sources of income depends on making and monetising websites based around fandoms and then selling those sites on. That is perfectly ok, very normal business. This person has no interest in the sims games and they don't have to have an interest.

What they DO have to have is respect for the rights of the simmers who share content on the internet and to be prevented from abusing those peoples work. For example, Sims4forums are still linking MTS images - it may be a small image, but it is hosted on this site and that means you are stealing bandwidth.

My advice to you meline is to cut your losses and go join a great forum that would appreciate a good moderator. There are lots of them around - unless of course this is a paid job for you, in which case my commiserations

It is most certainly not a paid job.
I've been playing the Sims ever since the original came out and I just wanted to contribute, in a way.

I'll try to go through his threads tonight to see if I can at the very least remove the hotlinks like @plasticbox suggested.
Trying to handle things last night whilst also attempting to study for my exam today was a bit half-arsed, for that I apologize.
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#202 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 7:14 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 29th Sep 2014 at 7:49 PM.
We're aware you also have a life .. so do we. Which is why we (or at least I) are getting a little fed up with having to negotiate over every single byte.

You're aware that your site owner has been (or at least: trying to) sell off sites *including unpaid moderators* in the past, yes?

E: Also, @Meline can you clarify what you mean by "all downloaders are linked directly to the mod on MTS" (two posts up)? Linked to the page or to the file? The latter would also mean hotlinking .. in that case, please remove.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Inventor
#203 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 7:35 PM
Can't help but it makes me sad to read all this. Have we already come that far? Okay, some people have always stolen stuff from others and uploaded it elsewhere (e.g. Exchange) - in small numbers. Now people start a whole new site and just because they want it to become big and successful as fast as possible (and because they seem to be too lazy or unable to create their own things) they steal stuff in a large number, just because they can? Wow.... that's sad.

What about if good creators stopped sharing their stuff because they got sick of seeing their stuff uploaded by others? I personally don't care whether someone makes money out of it or not, or whether the description of the download is copied/pasted or not. Even if they took their own screenshots of those items and wrote their own description, the item itself is still stolen - credit given or not.

I don't mind sites like Sims 3 Updates post pictures of my downloads and link to them (to MTS) but I'd hate to see my download files shared anywhere else, unless I had given permission for it (for whatever reason).

I also do not care if the law allows people to share other people's creations or not. It's a matter of decency not to do so if the creator doesn't want to.

Just my 2 cents - and I don't want to talk about it any further because the whole topic pisses me off.
Scholar
#204 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 7:57 PM
Default One of many examples...
These aren't just little thumbs, either. This is a very large image.

All you need to do is right-click on the image, and select 'properties.' And voila, it becomes clear that the image lives at MTS.
Field Researcher
#205 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 8:05 PM
KandanceKiss44 How many more double accounts are you going to make Chris? But that's not you, it's one of your imaginary friends again, right?
Quote:
Yeah he was unaware of the sim custom content sharing ettiquette and the content should be taken down and such. At the same time, no need to treat him rudely.
A-a-and more bullshit. I've never seen people to be OK with someone monetizing content they made and hosting their files without permission. "Etiquette"! Year, right.))
One good thing for you is that you'll still get some traffic, since someone will check if you've stolen someone else's work again from time to time.

Noone expects the spanish inquisition!
My simblr and my downloads blog .
Test Subject
#206 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 8:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
We're aware you also have a life .. so do we. Which is why we (or at least I) are getting a little fed up with having to negotiate over every single byte.

You're aware that your site owner has been (or at least: trying to) sell off sites *including unpaid moderators* in the past, yes?

E: Also, @Meline can you clarify what you mean by "all downloaders are linked directly to the mod on MTS" (two posts up)? Linked to the page or to the file? The latter would also mean hotlinking .. in that case, please remove.

The links I have put in link to the creators profile here on MTS; through that they can find the mod ánd other content they have created.
The 'Download now via external site' buttons that Chris has put in link to the page which contains the content here on MTS.

I have just gone through all of the threads (at least, I hope I managed to get them all, I have to admit my head is spinning a bit from all the clicking and tabbing) and we should now be free of all MTS images, including all the little emotes that transferred from here to there...
Not ALL creators are fully credited at the top of the thread yet, I plan to continue with this tomorrow after work.
In the meantime I shall contact anyone whose content is hosted on S4F and ask them if they would like it to be removed or to keep it as it is.
Again, it's quite a list and I most likely won't get it all today, but it's been in set in motion.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#207 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 8:23 PM
Thanks for the update!

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#208 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 9:44 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 29th Sep 2014 at 9:55 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Meline
we should now be free of all MTS images

You are not. Please doublecheck.

sims4forum.com/custom-content/sims-4-michael-jackson-sim-by-lunararc.64/
sims4forum.com/custom-content/star-trek-original-series-male-shirts.104/

I see no links to the original creators either (so these are probably posts that you missed, or your edits have been removed). Do you have permission at all? Are the creators aware that you "reserve the right to charge" for these uploads?

(The above does not mean there are no hotlinks in other posts -- I only looked at the last few edits at the time of posting. Is not my job to clean up your site, you know.)
Screenshots

Lab Assistant
#209 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 9:54 PM
adding:
http://sims4forum.com/custom-conten...ack-tattoo.106/
http://sims4forum.com/custom-conten...eproduction.63/
http://sims4forum.com/custom-conten...mosaic-mod.157/

@FifthAce2007 : wanted to let you know that your wedding dresses are back up: http://sims4forum.com/custom-conten...ng-dresses.105/ can't tell whether downloadable or not, doesn't say anything about it on the site.
Not sure if you're okay with that.
Test Subject
#210 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 9:55 PM
You are not. Please doublecheck.

http://sims4forum.com/custom-conten...by-lunararc.64/
http://sims4forum.com/custom-conten...ale-shirts.104/

I see no links to the original creators either (so these are probably posts that you missed, or your edits have been removed). Do you have permission at all? Are the creators aware that you "reserve the right to charge" for these uploads?

They have been taken care of, they must've slipped through.
I will continue to check over the course of the next few days...
As far as payments go I have absolutely nothing to do with that and no way of influencing it, so I will refrain from commenting on that.
Test Subject
#211 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 10:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Helianthea
adding:
http://sims4forum.com/custom-conten...ack-tattoo.106/
http://sims4forum.com/custom-conten...mosaic-mod.157/

@FifthAce2007 : wanted to let you know that your wedding dresses are back up: http://sims4forum.com/custom-conten...ng-dresses.105/ can't tell whether downloadable or not, doesn't say anything about it on the site.
Not sure if you're okay with that.

Also taken care of...
Lab Assistant
#212 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 11:08 PM
I'm not a creator but a user very thankful for all the hard work the creators have done. So I won't butt into the argument. I just wanted to point out, that even though the hotlinking has been removed from the entry page. Chris' upload discussion thread still has the hotlinking I'm not sure if you have permission to delete those posts.

Here is an example: http://sims4forum.com/threads/sims-...ck-tattoo.1855/
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#213 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 11:35 PM
@Meline - Leefish suggested earlier that you cut your losses when it comes to Sims4Forum. Yes, that's what you should do. Now. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.00 - leave and don't look back. Chris restoring what you've tried to delete is absolute proof that he doesn't give one damn about you. Why continue being a part of a site that doesn't value you as a part of the team? You may not be the site owner or an admin, but as part of the staff your opinion should carry some weight. Is there a staff discussion forum there where you've posted your concerns? Not that it really matters- even if there is, it's clear that what you think and your efforts to make things right are just being undermined by Chris.

My advice to any creator who's content has been/still is on that site? Demand that it be removed entirely. No links to the actual download. No link to the download in a Finds thread. Nothing. Not even a tiny little thumbnail.
Scholar
#214 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 11:46 PM Last edited by tsyokawe : 29th Sep 2014 at 11:58 PM.
Shut him down. He's still got MTS content over there without permission.
After all the protests aired in this thread, he's still kept MTS content.

All he's done is to slow the momentum. He's got people thinking about giving him and his staff a little more time...even the benefit of the doubt.
Nothing has changed. Not really. It just looks like it might.
Maybe the hotlinks will eventually be removed. Maybe he'll eventually make it plainer that these appropriated uploads are not his own.

So what? Even if he does those things, eventually...

The fact still remains, permissions have been denied. An overwhelming number of MTS creators abhor paysites.
And while he's claiming he's not a paysite, he "reserve[s] the right to charge users for > access < to content hosted on and/or uploaded to [his] site."
Excuse me, but that makes him a paysite. He intends to start charging folks - he just isn't doing it, yet.
_*_*_

Quote: Originally posted by leefish
The creators need to complain. Not just from MTS - but every creator he is ripping off.

@leefish : Would it be inappropriate of me to use the Contact Us form on some of the other sites,
and link them to the original post in this thread?

I am so deeply pissed off at the idea of what this man is doing, that I want to do something to help.
I just can't seem to figure out what would be helpful, and what would be presumptuous (or worse yet, counter-productive).
VVVV VVVV VVVV
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
Original Poster
#215 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 11:49 PM
The creators need to complain. Not just from MTS - but every creator he is ripping off.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Test Subject
#216 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 12:39 AM
all files here have been removed from our servers, hot-linked images have been removed.

taking further measures too soon! like I said last night, it was late when I posted my message, and I have been working all day today. But it's done.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
Original Poster
#217 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 12:50 AM
Chris - thanks for the post.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#218 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 12:52 AM Last edited by plasticbox : 30th Sep 2014 at 1:58 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by JustListen14
all files here have been removed from our servers

O RLY?

sims4forum.com/custom-content/sims-4-no-blur-in-the-distance-mod.55/

This is by Shimrod101. Who EXPLICITELY told you (in a PM that Meline has received without doubt):

Quote: Originally posted by Shimrod101
I want my screenshots, descriptions, the text which I have written, all of which Sims4Forum has copied from here at MTS, REMOVED! And never posted at Sims4Forum ever again.

So do that. This goes for every other piece of content as well except where you have explicit permission. And don't try to bullshit people into thinking you have complied when you haven't.

(E: qft attached .. just in case anyone wondered what I'm replying to.)
Screenshots

Lab Assistant
#219 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 1:01 AM
Just wanted to point out a few more (plus the hotlinking in the discussion thread is still there)

The time mod by @IceM http://sims4forum.com/custom-conten...ow-time-mod.52/
The stand still mod by @Shimrod101 http://sims4forum.com/custom-conten...till-in-cas.49/

There is a notice that the file has been removed, but the download file is still there (does not say via external site) Those posts do not credit the original creator either.
Test Subject
#220 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 1:09 AM
O RLY?

sims4forum.com/custom-content/sims-4-no-blur-in-the-distance-mod.55/

This is by Shimrod101. Who EXPLICITELY told you (in a PM that Meline has received without doubt):

So do that. This goes for every other piece of content as well except where you have explicit permission. And don't try to bullshit people into thinking you have complied when you haven't.

oops, I missed that. Makes sense plasticbox!

It's 1am right now, I have work early in the morning, after I get home around 5-6pm gmt I will begin removing all content within the posts, replacing them with short descriptions of what they are and what they do...

I am also trying to reshuffle our custom content area, I do think it has a useful function on our site for our members to share good custom content wherever it is, providing they follow a strict, clear set of rules. One of them obviously being not to upload the files like I did, no copy and pasting, and having it all compiled in a separate area of our site not to be confused for content we host or have anything to do with.

Also looking into how I can de-monetize/remove ads and whatnot from the area where external mods are shared/linked to... probably using conditional code/tags excluding certain parts of the site... but yeah

Going to hit the hay now, I am absolutely shattered
I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
#221 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 1:12 AM
I just went over there and in a quick look I saw these two:
http://sims4forum.com/custom-conten...by-lunararc.64/

Check out my tutorials: For TS4: Eyelashes and for TS2: Eyes and Eyes 2
-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Test Subject
#222 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 1:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TamiraA
Just wanted to point out a few more (plus the hotlinking in the discussion thread is still there)

The time mod by @IceM http://sims4forum.com/custom-conten...ow-time-mod.52/
The stand still mod by @Shimrod101 http://sims4forum.com/custom-conten...till-in-cas.49/

There is a notice that the file has been removed, but the download file is still there (does not say via external site) Those posts do not credit the original creator either.

Damn Xenforo, I'll no doubt have to go through everything again in the discussion threads and remove the hotlinked images. It appears the first post in the discussion thread doesn't update when I update the mod page itself. Will add that to the to-do list tomorrow! May disable discussion threads on the external mods... so as to avoid this if I can.

Hoping to seperate the mods not hosted by us, and have them not less visible on our site so as not to confuse people like someone suggested earlier.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#223 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 1:16 AM
The stand still mod might not ever be removed:

Because, gee- renaming the package file means Vinyl can claim to have made it! NOT. Compare Shimrod's description to Vinyl's. Almost the same word for word - there is no way that 2 different creators happened to write almost word for word the same description. So leaving out a few words and the file name change means absolutely nothing. Vinyl did NOT create that mod. Steal much?

Now I haz a question for TS4 creators who would know: If 2 different people create a mod that does the exact same thing (changes the exact same resource) would both packages be identical if opened with s4pe? Instance numbers and everything?

Edit: Btw, I took that screenshot at 7:06 PM Central time, today 9/29/3014. So as of that time the mod was still downloadable from there.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#224 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 1:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tsyokawe
Shut him down. He's still got MTS content over there without permission.

Just to clarify (once again): When creators post uploads at MTS, that doesn't mean it becomes "MTS content". That's why Lee keeps repeating that it's the creators who need to file a DMCA .. we can't do that in their name.

Quote: Originally posted by tsyokawe
Would it be inappropriate of me to use the Contact Us form on some of the other sites, and link them to the original post in this thread?

Not sure which "some other sites" you mean, but if you mean making other creators aware their content is being posted elsewhere and that may be without their permission or knowledge, I can't see anything inappropriate about that. I for one would be perfectly OK with it if someone would notify me in such a case.

Scholar
#225 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 1:20 AM Last edited by tsyokawe : 30th Sep 2014 at 1:29 AM. Reason: i removed the rofl smiley...
Quote: Originally posted by JustHappening
Hello,

If you see any content you have a problem with that is yours, then please link me to it.

Thanks for your cooperation.

What utter bullshit. If you have any content at all that wasn't produced/created by one of your members,
you should take it down unless you've received explicit permission to post it. See how easy that is?

Hopefully, it's too late. There's going to be a rush of formal complaints hitting your provider's email in the next day.
It's been over three days, so I'm figuring there's at least 12 folks who will be sending theirs off tonight.

ooops. I guess you shoulda spent this time removing the offending material instead of making excuses and pretending to cooperate.

Just to clarify (once again): When creators post uploads at MTS, that doesn't mean it becomes "MTS content". That's why Lee keeps repeating that it's the creators who need to file a DMCA .. we can't do that in their name.

Not sure which "some other sites" you mean, but if you mean making other creators aware their content is being posted elsewhere and that may be without their permission or knowledge, I can't see anything inappropriate about that. I for one would be perfectly OK with it if someone would notify me in such a case.

I understand that it's not MTS content, per se. I guess I'm just thinking of us as a group. So when I think of us, I think of us as MTS members. Goofy, yes?

And yes, that's what I mean by 'other sites.' I will do that then. Thanks.
Locked thread | Locked by: Reason: thread staying closed right now , if anything comes up, send me or plasticbox a PM.
Page 9 of 12