Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#76 Old 21st Jun 2014 at 11:25 PM
Default Application and Round 1 entry
Stone Bungalow

When Dirk Anderson-Miller was headhunted to join the Sunset Valley Llamas at the Stadium and told the job came with a house for his family and himself, he and John were sceptical, having seen Sunset Valley houses too often on "The House Doctor". Luckily for Dirk, John and little Kelly, the Stadium had hired a good interior designer who made sure the property formerly known as El Urban Sprawl, now rebranded as 'Stone Bungalow' would meet their needs well. Unfortunately for the interior designer, Sunset Valley building regulations are currently refusing extensions or anything that 'significantly alters the original house plans', so no extra windows could be added. The house was re clad in stone, giving it the new name and a landscape gardening firm contracted to ensure a crisp modern feel, which they achieved with minimalistic planters on the porch as well as big beds of herbaceous plants.

As I use a test sim on the lot when I build/decorate, I ran into a financial issue - going into live mode to check for routing issues caused depreciation... Luckily, I'd used the family funds cheat after buying the empty house to give the Anderson-Millers $70,000, so know that I didn't use any more money except to buy John's motorbike.
Advertisement
Scholar
Original Poster
#77 Old 21st Jun 2014 at 11:42 PM
Just added you to the table, LucyBorgia.

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Test Subject
#78 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 1:30 AM
I would like to join
I used the Smith family with the house "El" Urban Sprawl - 60 Maywood Lane. If that's not right, tell me so I can decorate a different house that is right. I don't know because the download file wasn't working for me so, ya. Btw i don't know how to upload under spolier I don't know how to do spoiler so please tell me if i can't join i am willing to judge.
Test Subject
#79 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 1:46 AM
Hey! I have a question. Would adding a basement be considered changing the foundation of the home? I have some really good ideas for certain things, but I want to make sure I don't accidentally break any rules before I go for it. I plan on making the stairway into the basement somewhere in the backyard area, if that would change anything.

I'm 19 and I think I'm funny sometimes. I idolize Alaksa 5000. Avid RuPaul fan.
Lab Assistant
#80 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 4:25 AM
Since I don't have Supernatural/whatever the vampire expansion pack is, does that mean that I can't get the bonus points for the Adams or will my lack of a coffin be okay?
Field Researcher
#81 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 5:49 AM Last edited by bellakenobi : 22nd Jun 2014 at 6:31 AM.
Default Application - Round 1
"Cute as a little baby unicorn", is how Olaf, the snowman, would describe El Urban Sprawl after the redecorating requested by the Smiths. At the start they still were newlyweds with a baby coming, but this redecorating took so long that the baby has already born and a now is a toddler!

Well, that wasn't so easy, but not so difficult, although it was very funny for me, that's all I have to say
I've used some Store stuff, and some CC too (most of them from MTS, except the bathroom mirror and the tablecloth, these are from TSR).
I want to thank armiel for the Builder's Island (that loads very very fast), cmomoney and lemoncandy for several clutter placed around the house, and granthes for OMSP.

I'm bad at finding CC on my own
My simblr
I'm shy and so I might take longer to reply you '-'
Theorist
#82 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 7:33 AM
Hi, quick question, are archways fair game? Or do those fall under adding doors? Thanks in advance!
Scholar
Original Poster
#83 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 1:19 PM Last edited by BlakeS5678 : 22nd Jun 2014 at 1:43 PM.
I just added bellakenobi to the table. Wait, is that Portuguese I see?

Quote: Originally posted by messiejessie306
I used the Smith family with the house "El" Urban Sprawl - 60 Maywood Lane. If that's not right, tell me so I can decorate a different house that is right. I don't know because the download file wasn't working for me so, ya. Btw i don't know how to upload under spolier I don't know how to do spoiler so please tell me if i can't join i am willing to judge.

*Yes, that's the correct family and house

*The spoiler tag is (spoiler) Put pictures here (/spoiler) except you use [ and ] instead of parenthesis

*You don't qualify as a judge for several reasons

Quote: Originally posted by TookaChan
Hey! I have a question. Would adding a basement be considered changing the foundation of the home? I have some really good ideas for certain things, but I want to make sure I don't accidentally break any rules before I go for it. I plan on making the stairway into the basement somewhere in the backyard area, if that would change anything.

Nnnn... I'm going to have say no on this one. Adding or deleting basement would definitely be a structural change to the home.

Quote: Originally posted by clairebear2003
Since I don't have Supernatural/whatever the vampire expansion pack is, does that mean that I can't get the bonus points for the Adams or will my lack of a coffin be okay?

You're still able to have a lair without a coffin, as it wouldn't be fair to give players with that EP an advantage over others, The coffin was merely a suggestion as to what one could put in the lair.

Quote: Originally posted by TMBrandon
Hi, quick question, are archways fair game? Or do those fall under adding doors? Thanks in advance!

You may replace archways with doors (of the same size) and vice versa, but that's it.

Edit: Johnny_Bravo has just notified me he will not be able to participate as a judge. So, I need another judge to get this contest going!

Test Subject
#84 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 6:28 PM
Yay! I have everything done, but for some reason when I try to take a screenshot of my game to show the home price and everything, it's showing up in paint as just a big black box. Can anyone help me with this?

Field Researcher
#85 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 6:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlakeS5678
I just added bellakenobi to the table. Wait, is that Portuguese I see?

Yep, it's PT-BR

Quote: Originally posted by TookaChan
Yay! I have everything done, but for some reason when I try to take a screenshot of my game to show the home price and everything, it's showing up in paint as just a big black box. Can anyone help me with this?

If you're playing in fullscreen mode, try to switch to window mode, type ctrl+shift+c, then type fullscreen off. That's how I've made to take the mine.

I'm bad at finding CC on my own
My simblr
I'm shy and so I might take longer to reply you '-'
Instructor
#86 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 7:43 PM
@bellakenobi Very nice job on your house!
I love the earth tones you brought out, the home definitely has a nice vintage feel to it with a nice modern look
I love the breakfast nook & also the outside looks very nice for entertaining!!

I can't join because my sims3 is crashing my laptop but nice job anyway :D

Peace, Harmony & Balance... Libra is Love..
Test Subject
#87 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 8:32 PM
Default Adams Family home!
Oh my. I had a ridiculous amount of fun decorating this home! This is my first competition, so please be gentle with me!

General shot of the outside of the home:

And a lovely bird's eye view with the total lot value:

Other views of the house are under the cut!

Scholar
Original Poster
#88 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 9:09 PM
I just added you to the table, TookaChan.

I'm assuming you did the Adams family, yes?

Field Researcher
#89 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 9:43 PM
Bit of a rush to get this up as I work FT and only get the weekends to sim.
OK, so I chose the Smith Family. John and Jenny were so happy that they didn't have to buy the Monotone that they overlooked some major flaws with their new home. The lack of windows was a big problem for them both, as coupled with the dreary dark decor, it made the house very dark and uninviting. They love traditional styles but wanted to lighten up the place, create space and lots of storage. Choosing a light colour scheme which reflects Jenny's love of all things vintage, they have fully furnished their home under budget thanks to Ikea and several charity/thrift shops. Jenny has sourced some retro and vintage pieces, given them a lick of paint and used them to furnish the home. The house seems more spacious yet still remains cosy having separate sections for living, eating and cooking - Jenny didn't want to cut back on the kitchen and has even planted her own ingredients in the garden. There is room for an expanding family with a fully decorated nursery with enough room for a baby and an older child.
The outside area has been landscaped to feature a pool, raised eating, bar and lounging areas.
Yes there's lots of CC, most from TSR, a couple of decor bits from B5Studio, plus some Store items.
Here's the outside view:

and the cost total:

The rest of the pics are here:
Test Subject
#90 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 10:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlakeS5678
I just added you to the table, TookaChan.

I'm assuming you did the Adams family, yes?

Yes ma'am! Thanks!

Scholar
Original Poster
#91 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 10:11 PM
Just added you to the table, sandymdh

Scholar
#92 Old 23rd Jun 2014 at 4:54 AM
So, I've never done a contest before, nor have I ever done a lot of architecture stuff so this will be fun!

This is El Urban Sprawl: John & Jenny-d

So I started making it on a totally blank map on a 40x40 lot, which in hindsight will download the builder's island instead cause empty flatness makes for bleak scenery. Also the lot's too large but I was already halfway done when I realized.

It uses CC from MTS, TSR, Aroundthesims, and other places, all free. I don't pay for things lol.

In my head-canon both John and Jenny decided they didn't really like the design of the house and chose to re-decorate, however Jenny took the reigns picking a color of seafoam green to tie the whole house together with a light, open feel tot he house with warm wood accents. At least I hope that's what I made, me and Jenny think it's pretty at least

Cost total:

And just another note, there's something wrong with the gamma of my sims game so the print screen stuff looks like this. nothing I can do.

Rest of the pictures are in here:

Sirius Black: Escaped Azkaban, Outran Dementors, Outwitted Ministry, Killed by Drapery
Where I've been hiding...
Test Subject
#93 Old 23rd Jun 2014 at 6:43 AM
John and Dirk are indeed an unlikely couple. Athletic Dirk is always on the move while bookworm John prefers quietly relaxing with a good read. They make it work, though, and have recently adopted toddler Kelly and moved to the suburbs. The move included a pay cut for both of them, which meant they had to go with a smaller house than they would have liked, so they took some of their savings to put their own style to it.

This was a super fun, and challenging, challenge. Besides following all the rules which is something I'm not used to, I made myself limit CC. There's exactly one piece (not even shown in the pictures), a basketball and hoop by Severinka, free from TSR I believe. I really wanted to use the functional store hoop, but there just wasn't room. Really looking forward to the other rounds!
Lab Assistant
#94 Old 23rd Jun 2014 at 9:09 AM Last edited by Tiraslin : 23rd Jun 2014 at 11:06 AM.
The entries look fantastic so far! People are doing things I've never dreamed of.

*Cutsocks --- That outdoor pergola/living area was amazing. I especially loved the roof over it, where you used the fence to create volume and light space.
*Zenomia --- The gazebo was a great touch. My sims would love to live there.
*LucyBorgia --- A full basketball court in the back yard! I've always thought the half courts were odd, I have no idea why I never connected the idea of putting them together.
*Bellakenobi --- Your landscaping looks so comfortable and livable. Can you design my back yard (irl)?
*TookaChan --- I love the shelf above the fridge. I've always thought that space was so odd, and you fixed it perfectly.
*SandyMDH --- Your color scheme is so homey and fresh. I also particularly love the outdoor seating area and the pond. :lovestruc
*BulldogFan --- The outdoor fireplace is so attractive! I also loved the way you turned that awkward long hall into a great feature.

I'm amazingly psyched about this contest! I have been an avid ModTheSims fan for years but never (ever) had the guts to upload anything I create or participate in any contests. However, I'm working on my contest entry RIGHT NOW!!!!! (( anticipating a sleepless night here... ))
Lab Assistant
#95 Old 23rd Jun 2014 at 10:14 AM
I am also having difficulty with the package file. I unzipped it with 7zip, and placed it in my Electronic Arts / The Sims 3 / Library / folder, but its not showing either in the Launcher or in-game. I've tried creating a new Sunset Valley world, deleting all my cache files, and opening other worlds, but the families are not loading.
Scholar
Original Poster
#96 Old 23rd Jun 2014 at 1:34 PM
I just updated the table, Jaylo and Bulldogfan82.

Quote: Originally posted by Tiraslin
I am also having difficulty with the package file. I unzipped it with 7zip, and placed it in my Electronic Arts / The Sims 3 / Library / folder, but its not showing either in the Launcher or in-game. I've tried creating a new Sunset Valley world, deleting all my cache files, and opening other worlds, but the families are not loading.

I'm sorry if this has caused any confusion for you, but the "Round 1" is the "El Urban Sprawl" lot for those that don't have a Sunset Valley save, nothing else. Others have created versions of the family for screenshots, which quite honestly I hadn't even thought of doing. If you'd like to create Sims yourself to put in the screenshots, of course you're more than welcome to. Who knows? Maybe one of the contestants would be willing to share the Sims they made.

I would offer to make "official" Sims for this contest, but let's be honest. I'm no Sim-maker.

Test Subject
#97 Old 23rd Jun 2014 at 2:16 PM
So is it okay if I use Sims 3 base game content for wallpapers and carpeting? Also, I have a few décor items that are from the base game, do I need to replace it with CC? That can be easily done but I wanted to ask first.
Scholar
Original Poster
#98 Old 23rd Jun 2014 at 2:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xPsychonattic
So is it okay if I use Sims 3 base game content for wallpapers and carpeting? Also, I have a few décor items that are from the base game, do I need to replace it with CC? That can be easily done but I wanted to ask first.

Um, quite honestly, I prefer homes that are custom content free, as it makes it less of a hassle to download and share, as well as the fact that it's interesting to see how other simmers use the same objects differently. There is no custom content requirement in this contest by any means, in fact, quite the opposite.

Lab Assistant
#99 Old 23rd Jun 2014 at 2:56 PM
Quote:
I'm sorry if this has caused any confusion for you, but the "Round 1" is the "El Urban Sprawl" lot for those that don't have a Sunset Valley save, nothing else. Others have created versions of the family for screenshots, which quite honestly I hadn't even thought of doing. If you'd like to create Sims yourself to put in the screenshots, of course you're more than welcome to. Who knows? Maybe one of the contestants would be willing to share the Sims they made.

I would offer to make "official" Sims for this contest, but let's be honest. I'm no Sim-maker.

Thank you, that did clarify the matter a great deal! *Rubs hands in glee* I'll get to work on the project immediately then! Thank you, Blake!
Test Subject
#100 Old 23rd Jun 2014 at 5:26 PM Last edited by kasandro : 23rd Jun 2014 at 7:53 PM.
Default Aplication - Round 1
The Anderson-Miller Family

Dirk and John met at the university and became a couple almost immediately. Dirk was first impressed by John's mind, and John by Dirk's abs, but they then realized they have a lot in common, as both wanted to start a big family and they love modern style. They've been working hard since and saving up to $70.000, then get married and adopted a lovely 2 year old girl named Kelly.

The real estate market had nothing to offer for a long time, but then they inherited a rough diamond, a window of opportunity: "El Urban Sprawl", with a value of $17,869. With that and his savings they were good to go.

I Don't want to extend myself very much as English is not my usual language and I'm no good with architectural terms.
I hope you like it.

Page 4 of 20