Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Dec 2009 at 7:49 AM
Default Mysterious Blue Square
So, I've been playing with the CAW tool for a few days and my first world is coming along nicely (at least for a first try it is) but I have a weird artifact in it that is bugging me. I've searched for others with this problem but no luck. I'm not sure when it popped up since it is in an area of the map that I haven't really concentrated on yet.

I have a big blue square in the water that intersects my "bridge". The intensity changes depending on camera angle but nothing reflects in it and there is no graphical detail in it. It shows up in both the tool and EIG. I've tried using the terrain sculpting tool to see if it affects it, but it doesn't. Changing the water level doesn't do anything either.

Has anyone else seen this or know of a way to fix it? I've attached a few pictures from different angles to illustrate.

Thanks in advance!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Eminence Grise
#2 Old 31st Dec 2009 at 8:04 AM
Looks to me like a lot that got placed underwater. Might you have moved one there accidentally? That would explain why the terrain sculpting tool doesn't affect it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Dec 2009 at 12:27 PM
I just checked and all of my lots are accounted for and on dry land.

I was so hoping the fix was that easy...
Test Subject
#4 Old 31st Dec 2009 at 12:32 PM
Try running a "Smooth Gentle" on low opacity along the edge of the road. It looks like one of the water tiles is unable to conform to the land.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Dec 2009 at 12:57 PM
O.K. I just tried the "smooth gentle" on it with several different low opacity settings. It doesn't appear to change anything except for making the road look wonky. However, when I zoomed in to do this, I noticed it isn't a perfect square; it looks like it might be from the shape of the land like you suggest. Do you think redoing the "bridge" might fix it?
Screenshots
Test Subject
#6 Old 31st Dec 2009 at 1:16 PM
If you could redo the bridge, with a less severe angle across the game grid, it might work. Or try smooth gentle again, just go really easy on it. Don't drag, just feather it with little clicks along the edge. When I had that problem, it was causing slits, not entire holes, but it didn't take much smoothing to close them. You could also try taking the camera under water, and smoothing where the bridge meets the ocean floor.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 31st Dec 2009 at 2:44 PM
I am happy to report that redoing the bridge fixed the issue! Well, at least masked it. There is one angle that you can still see a tiny corner of the square, but you would have to know it is there to see it.

What I did was completely remove the bridge. I then made the water level so low I could properly see the whole floor. I flattened everything down there and then raised the water level and replaced the bridge. The square was still there but it wasn't as large and it was distorted a bit. I switched the view to the wire frame mode and flattened and smoothed everything until it looked pretty uniform.

Thank you for the advice. Without it I would never have attempted a fix!
Screenshots