Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Retired
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Dec 2009 at 11:34 AM
Default Argh! Lot edges are so fickle. Advice?
No matter how careful I am, even if I ensure land is flat as possible, lots seem to pop up out of the ground. It's driving me crazy. Is anyone else having this issue? I scrapped and relotted the entire world twice trying to avoid it!
Screenshots
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 30th Dec 2009 at 11:38 AM
Use Flatten Terrain all over the area where an existing wonky lot is, and then use Flatten Lot to flatten it to the level of the surrounding land, and then Conform Edges and it should look nice and flat. Occasionally I get a single lot that wants to go re-wonky when I zoom out (dunno if it's actually doing it or it's just the visuals) so I'll delete that single one and replace it, but most of the time, flatten/flatten/conform works okay.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 30th Dec 2009 at 11:43 AM
The majority of the lots in my world have those kinds of edges and quick click of the Confirm Edges tool works well on 'em although they seem to revert back when I make any changes to the terrain anywhere in my world.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#4 Old 30th Dec 2009 at 11:59 AM
I think the best thing is to finish all terrain scultping before placing roads and finish all roads before placing lots, because even placing roads often changes the terrain around them, depending on your settings.

If you like to have lots down in order to work out where to put the roads, maybe you can delete and relay each lot afterwards.

I don't really like to have all my lots flat - I love building on slopes as you can do some interesting building.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#5 Old 30th Dec 2009 at 12:09 PM
Problem is, you may want to move the roads and lots to get things to fit together more neatly and nicely, so you kind of have to do both at the same time for many things.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Retired
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Dec 2009 at 12:25 PM
Yes, although I'm finding even with flat terrain, flattened lots, and conformed edges, lots seem to rise a bit occasionally. Working with anything not flat is even worse. Hopefully this will improve as the Beta continues.
Theorist
#7 Old 31st Dec 2009 at 12:53 AM
So, does this mean I can't place lots on slopes, or that I'm just going to have to go through extra trickiness to do it? There is no way possible that I can create the world on which I'm working without hills and slopes. It just can't happen.
Eminence Grise
#8 Old 31st Dec 2009 at 2:05 AM
You can place lots on slopes. Just means that the players of your world won't be able to move buildings to or from those lots, which is why the advice is to minimize it.
Theorist
#9 Old 31st Dec 2009 at 2:37 AM
Thank you for clearing that up, Srikandi! Basically that means whatever building that is put there will be terra-formed to that slope and won't work on any other lot? If that's the case, that's not a problem. This is a specialty world so it wouldn't work well to move the lots from it to another world or vice-versa.

Now that I've spent a couple of days learning what not to do in world design, I am hoping to start on it in earnest.