Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Dec 2009 at 6:59 AM
Default Sidewalk intersections
Do you need a sidewalk intersection piece to connect a sidewalk that's part of a road to an off-road sidewalk? Or can you just connect the sidewalk directly to the road?
Advertisement
Retired
retired moderator
#2 Old 28th Dec 2009 at 7:05 AM
I haven't been able to get connections anywhere except off of roading intersections. It's worth noting that sidewalk routing still seems to work if it's a string with intersections at each end, overlapping but not connected to the road.

I'd love a definite answer to this too, though.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#3 Old 28th Dec 2009 at 12:01 PM
According to either the walkthrough or the manual, it's not possible to truly connect roads and sidewalks. I think the best you can do is ending a sidewalk against the road using a sidewalk intersection.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#4 Old 28th Dec 2009 at 12:47 PM
Based on how EA does it, sidewalk pieces just terminate against road-side sidewalks without any intersection piece. Whether or not sidewalk pieces connect is largely immaterial anyway, as the presence or absence of sidewalks does not enable or prevent any form of sim-locomotion, unlike roads, which must connect in order for sims to drive: Sims are perfectly happy walking along broken sidewalks or even no sidewalks. Sidewalks do not grant any speed bonus for use and actually can impose a speed penalty by inducing routing detours and causing collisions where open-ground navigation would not.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Test Subject
#5 Old 28th Dec 2009 at 3:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
I think the best you can do is ending a sidewalk against the road using a sidewalk intersection.

I did not do that and my sims find and walkt on the sidewalks without a problem.
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 1:25 AM
OK, thanks for the valuable info I'll continue using no intersection pieces where my sidewalks abut the roads.

And yeah, I know sidewalks are pretty pointless, I'm just using em in certain areas for aesthetic reasons. Because of the vector edit tool, you can get nice graceful paths more easily than you can with terrain paint.