Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Sep 2017 at 8:20 PM
Default hood trees (OR FIXES)
Most hood trees (like pine trees) look like they are floating (from lot view).
Is there a fix for this? Or buyable hood trees (classed as Objects so they don't disappear)? I found some, but the link doesn't exist.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Sep 2017 at 7:05 AM
This should fix all of the impostors in the neighbourhood, including trees:
http://criquette-was-here.tumblr.co...-and-your-hoods
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Sep 2017 at 6:53 PM
That looks like the solution, BUT when I save it wants to know what to name it, and where to put it (instead of just saving the change in the "imposterZOoffset" line

Mad Poster
#4 Old 22nd Sep 2017 at 7:48 PM
It sounds like your neighborhood.ini file has gotten set to read-only. Try the following:

1. Back up your neighborhood.ini file. Copy it and name the copy neighborhood.bak or neighborhood.old or something similar. This is so you can go back to your original settings if you need to for some reason.
2. Right-click on your neighborhood.ini file.
3. Click "Properties."
4. You should see a check box somewhere on this screen labeled "read-only." Clear it if has a check in it and then click OK.

You should now be able to save the file.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Sep 2017 at 8:18 PM Last edited by grammapat : 22nd Sep 2017 at 8:42 PM. Reason: typo & research
ummm... actually under my MG folder is ONLY "neighborhood terrain" & "neighborhood"- this is the one I went into. There IS NO "neighborhood.ini"

I've figured out that the file called "neighborhood" IS an .ini file; so I rt-clicked on it; it is NOT set to read only (& I do have authority)

Field Researcher
#6 Old 23rd Sep 2017 at 12:47 AM
1. Copy the neighborhood.ini file to the desktop.
2. Rename the one still in the program files neighborhood.BAK or something similar.
3. Open the file on the desktop. Make your changes. Save it. It will allow you to save it now just as it is.
4. Move (or copy) the file from the desktop to the program subdirectory where the neighborhood.BAK file is.
5. You're all set.

I have to take this extra step all the time. Even read only doesn't allow me to make changes to a program file as long as it's in a program directory. Move it and change it and move it back.

I didn't look at the game imposters to tell if there's a noticeable change though.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 23rd Sep 2017 at 12:07 PM
Even if you are the owner of the file, you will need to run notepad as administrator in order to edit the file in place (that's not the same as running notepad while logged in as an administrator - "run as administrator" is a specific option). That's why it's easier to copy out, edit, and copy back in.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Sep 2017 at 5:46 PM
Thanks jain, will try that. And everything is set to "run as administrator".

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#9 Old 23rd Sep 2017 at 5:51 PM
Are you sure? When you run a program as an administrator on Windows 7+ you get one of those "This program wants to modify your computer" popups every time the application starts, it'd drive me barmy to have *everything* do that!

And if you really have got everything set to run as admin - you shouldn't! UAC is a useful security feature, setting everything as an exception defeats the point of it.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 23rd Sep 2017 at 6:00 PM
Nysha --- you 2 funny! also helpish. "Everything" ? I don't even remember what I set as admin. Don't remember if I had breakfast yet. Do I have undies on? Who cares? ANyway, I will research my admin - and yes, the computer DOES say that to me.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 4:41 AM Last edited by grammapat : 26th Sep 2017 at 6:33 PM.
simsample (et al) I did change the ImposterZOoffset to .1 (in .ini file) - the little pine trees still float, and now so do trees with trunks!