Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jul 2009 at 5:16 AM
Default windows and doors in pools
So apparently you can place windows and doors on the edges of the pool with the moveobjects on cheat. I thought this was pretty cool. I've been trying to make it so that you can have a sunken room next to the pool edge with windows, but I'm having a lot of trouble with it. I think it would be really cool if this is possible and would definitely make building houses more unique and fun However, so far it doesn't seem possible to make sunken rooms without altering the floor level of the pool. Any suggestions?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 6th Jul 2009 at 6:04 PM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Jul 2009 at 6:44 PM
o yea i saw that tutorial, but i encounter some problems when i use that method. I guess what I'm really asking is, is it possible to make true sunken rooms in the sims 3? Because if it is the whole being able to put windows and doors on the edges of pools might let you do something cool in the game like have your sim swim into the pool and walk through a door in it into a sunken room. It sounds too complicated, its probably not possible , but it would be amazing
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 12:01 AM
what? you dont sound very clear

play with the terrain tool after you a general location of your outer walls.

you can lower the "pool area" room and have a sloped floor that the sim can walk down into the pool area. arched doorways? the sunker floor concept still requires a change in elevation. in a house you have a step that you go up or down. so, a ramp (elevation slope, smooth elevation) could act as a lowering point to the other room)

ill have to see if i can do this.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 2:33 AM
I just thought it might be possible to make real sunken rooms because you can level underground when you use the leveling tool through the windows in the pool. I have been playing around with this, but so far I can't make real sunken rooms
Test Subject
#6 Old 10th Jul 2009 at 6:22 AM
You can make real sunken rooms out of pools... But so far as I've seen, you can't put any rooms on top of them.

1) Use 4 stairs to drop the ground down one level, and flat out an area, flatten out a smaller area in it with 4 more drops.
2) Build a small room there, then a roof of floor tiles above it.

3) Delete the walls, turn on constrainfloorelevation false. Make sure you are on the floor view that you can see the tiles, level the whole 8 click down area to 4 clicks down. The tiles should disappear.

4) Throw down a pool in the area that the tiles should be. Bam, they appear.

5) Flatten the ground up to normal height. Paint the pool walls.

Voila, a sunken room that you can't built over, or change levels, or refloor, because if you do, the room gets pushed up a level. :p
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 10th Jul 2009 at 11:27 AM
Ohhh... this gives me an idea. What if you make a pool and play around with it with CFE etc and screw it up big time, untill it doesn't work anymore... maybe it becomes a real sunken basement then?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 10th Jul 2009 at 2:16 PM
o wow how did you figure that out!?! thats really cool . I played around with your method to creating sunken rooms, except I didn't build a pool over the tile just to see what would happen. So I built a pool next to the hidden tile and put windows in the pool and i saw the tile and the couch I put on the tile level with the floor of the pool! just what I wanted, however, like you said the tile floated up after I clicked on sim mode.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 10th Jul 2009 at 6:01 PM Last edited by jokera_us : 10th Jul 2009 at 6:04 PM. Reason: idea popped in mee head
hmm i'm intrigued.

theorectically couldnt you lower the terrain level to the "sunken floor room" and the pool above would still be functional?

*edit*
how about you clear the terrain on the sunken room area and then have terrain level on three sides around the pool area. one side would be the "access" point to go into the sunken room?

im not following your pool not having water. you could build above and around it right?

i think the terrain tools are limited. if you make a deck starting below ground and opening up to the level ground and then delete portions of the deck in the middle at sunken floor level and raise the terrain from the back area not part of the "sunken room" you still might have a sunken room thas functional.

im going to print this out and see if i can tweak with this concept a little tonight.
Test Subject
#10 Old 10th Jul 2009 at 8:10 PM
It doesn't have water because the water is underneath the floor. If you build walls over it, or try to refloor it, the floor and water both get pushed up a full level though, ruining it.

If anyone can find a way to make that NOT happen, that would be how to make a true sunken basement.

I also discovered today that the game does support the possibility of truly vertical borders between tiles... Now to figure out how to force the game to do that anywhere...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 10th Jul 2009 at 9:37 PM
i got a picture of what I managed to make before the tile when up.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#12 Old 10th Jul 2009 at 10:00 PM
That's awesome, how'd you build outside of the pool?

Also, I think you can keep the floors down longer by turning CFE back on after raising the walls.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 10th Jul 2009 at 10:27 PM
i just followed the steps you described, but i didn't put a pool over the tile. Then i just put the couches on the floating tile and then buried the tile. After that, i just just put a pool next to the buried tile and used windows in the pool to see the room. I don't know the tile doesn't stay down though whether the CFE is on or not but the couches stay down still which is weird.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 11th Jul 2009 at 1:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by krd123
i got a picture of what I managed to make before the tile when up.

Wait... so that room is underground? :O
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 11th Jul 2009 at 1:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Darim
Wait... so that room is underground? :O

yep, but I have no clue how to access it
Site Helper
#16 Old 11th Jul 2009 at 4:34 PM
If TS3 is anything like TS2, creating a room at level = -1 is the easy part... we never were able to figure out how to access the room in-game.
Test Subject
#17 Old 11th Jul 2009 at 11:52 PM
It's technically at level = 2, but underground.
Site Helper
#18 Old 12th Jul 2009 at 12:48 AM
Similar to the no-slope basements for TS2? Is the room completely accessible?
Test Subject
#19 Old 12th Jul 2009 at 4:32 AM
Not really, and I haven't tried building one like that, but it isn't accessible for long, and after a while, the game will shoot the floor up to where it should be if it was the second level, but the objects will stay underground.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 4:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
If TS3 is anything like TS2, creating a room at level = -1 is the easy part... we never were able to figure out how to access the room in-game.

here is my little ditty. i had another tutorial that i wanted to finish so lack of a second or third try. i wasnt able to get the stairs to ground level though. maybe ill try again later.

[IMG]

dont ask me how it happened i just started clicking watching the terrain editor do something.
Instructor
#21 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 9:34 AM Last edited by Flabaliki : 22nd Jul 2009 at 10:04 AM.
Ok, I was able to get a fully functional sunken room, with furniture, stairs, no water popping up here and there. However water does come back if you place another pool. Anyways here's what I've managed to do:

But I've found when you install it in your game, all the furniture pops back up, rendering this useless, so I don't think as of yet there is any use to this.
Screenshots

Find me on YouTube!
Flabaliki - General gaming
TheSimSupply - Videos all about The Sims!
Test Subject
#22 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 3:47 PM
Well are you going to give us a tutorial on how you did it?!
Instructor
#23 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 3:57 PM
There isn't much point, because if you package the lot, or move a sim out it destroys it. I'm not sure about saving and quiting the game though. If you guys want to know I can write a tutorial so you can play around with it?

Find me on YouTube!
Flabaliki - General gaming
TheSimSupply - Videos all about The Sims!
Test Subject
#24 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 9:37 PM
I really, really want to know.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 10:29 PM
yes me too! how did you do that??
Page 1 of 2