Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 9:55 AM Last edited by TigerM : 29th Aug 2009 at 10:08 PM.
Default Stubble: New visual STBL editor - looking for help of anyone willing to chip in and play Sims 3 (Updated 8/29)
DOWNLOAD LINK

So I'm getting ready to finish up my latest string table editor Stubble (Props to Williham for the clever name). However while I'm finishing up the last little touches, I figured I'd put it out there for some testing, and also for a little community help.

See, the feature that spurred the creation of this to begin with was the idea of using string keys (As in the textual name, such as "Gameplay/Objects/RabbitHoles/MilitaryBase:VisitWithInteractionName") rather than the ID (Such as "0x7F4484E8F69E3123") to make a more pleasant experience for people making casual modifications. Sure, there are string table editors/compilers/importers that will read a key name and hash it for you, but as far as I know there are none that go the other way.

So that is where I need everyone's help. I have a healthy list of strings at this point, however it is far from complete. Very far. But completing it is as easy as playing The Sims 3. Included in the package is a tool which will monitor the game as you play it and record any localization that is done, saving any string key names it does not already know.

To use this, simply download it and unzip it wherever you like. Once you launch it you will be presented with the main view, where you can browse strings. To help with the effort of gathering key names, under the Tools menu choose "Locate Keys". You will see the key collection dialog come up. Click the start button, and if The Sims 3 is not already running, it will prompt you to start it. Most likely it will give you the correct directory and you just need to click OK to launch the game.

That's it! Play TS3 for as long as you like, and it will happily run in the background monitoring what is going on. There should be little if any noticeable effect on the game performance. Once you are finished playing, you can click the Stop button, then Done. Stubble will write a file called "STBLUser.txt" to the directory it was unzipped to. Simply zip this file and email it to stubblekeys at tyger dot org. That's it!

Update 8/29: New version to handle non-English versions of the game. Also I've included all contributions so far to the string key database, which now tops out at around 20,000 keys. That's about 2/3rd of the game's total keys.

WARNING
In the interest of full disclosure, this tool WILL likely trigger monitoring software for doing a "dll injection" or something similar when you use the "Locate Keys" tool. While Stubble does do DLL injection, it is specifically targeted at TS3 solely for the purpose of gathering information on string localization. However, if you have used tools like Fraps, Stubble uses the same technique to monitor processes.

If you have any concerns with exactly what it is doing, feel free to PM me about it. I know people can get nervous when those things pop up.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 10:06 AM
Now that's an ingenious solution! Well done...I feel a bit stupid for asking but is there a download link for it?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 10:20 AM
OMG, no, I feel stupid for not including the download link LOL. I'll go edit that now.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 10:43 AM
Downloading now Tiger. Haven't been playing much lately, but will put in a few hours over the weekend.

Boredom is counterrevolutionary.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Aug 2009 at 1:42 AM
New version fixes a couple bugs. In the UI, fixed the display not updating when File->New was selected, and the modified/added mark not being removed right away when saving. In the key name database, every time it went to write a new key it would write all the keys it had found since it started up rather than just the new ones.

Also added quite a number of strings to the key name database, which is now close to the 2/3rds mark of all keys defined in the base game.

There are still quite a few large holes in the key name database, however. Most notable is probably the key names missing from careers and books.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 29th Aug 2009 at 5:38 AM
I could not open the Program because i get this error.

Quote:
System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Ein Teil des Pfades C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Havelock\Eigene Dateien\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\DCCache konnte nicht gefunden werden.
bei System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
bei System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFileDirectoryNames(String path, String userPathOriginal, String searchPattern, Boolean includeFiles, Boolean includeDirs, SearchOption searchOption)
bei System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(String path, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption)
bei STBLBrowser.STBLVault.<GetAllPackageFilenames>d__9.MoveNext()
bei STBLBrowser.STBLVault.get_GlobalEntries()
bei STBLBrowser.STBLVault.<GetEntriesForLanguage>d__19.MoveNext()
bei STBLBrowser.Form1.PopulateTreeRoot()
bei STBLBrowser.Form1..ctor()
bei STBLBrowser.Program.Main()

The Path the Tool is looking for would be C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Havelock\Eigene Dateien\Electronic Arts\Die Sims 3\DCCache

I play the German Version.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Aug 2009 at 7:25 AM
Thanks, you actually answered a question I'd just asked someone else earlier today and was waiting for the answer. (I'd asked if the path in My Documents was localized.)

I've updated it to look in the correct location now, as well as not crashing if it doesn't find it.
Site Helper
#8 Old 29th Aug 2009 at 9:09 PM
Surely, you mean that this was updated 8/29 (August 29th), not 9/29 (September 29th)?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 29th Aug 2009 at 10:09 PM
Picky picky! How do you know I don't have a time machine and came back from a month in the future to post an update? :P
Mad Poster
#10 Old 29th Aug 2009 at 10:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TigerM
Picky picky! How do you know I don't have a time machine and came back from a month in the future to post an update? :P

Are you making the mod so my sims can do this too?

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Test Subject
#11 Old 13th Sep 2009 at 8:05 PM
Here is my UserSTBL.txt `s content~
Code:
Gameplay/Excel/PV/Sims:Cranky
Gameplay/Excel/PV/Sims:Eliza
Gameplay/Excel/PV/Sims:Curious
Gameplay/Excel/PV/Sims:Kepler
Gameplay/Excel/PV/Sims:Antonio
Gameplay/Excel/PV/Sims:Elena
Gameplay/Excel/PV/Sims:Lucas
Gameplay/Excel/PV/Sims:Margarita
Gameplay/Excel/traits/TraitList:Stupid
Gameplay/Excel/traits/TraitList:StupidShortDescription

Hope the above data can help someone.
Test Subject
#12 Old 18th Sep 2009 at 11:59 PM
I'm gonna download it.

I am however hoping for one thing to be added that I do not think you can get from casual play. (Disregard if this is already there, i haven't run it yet, doing so shortly.) Name Strings. Last, Male, and Female (Separated, so I can put the right text in and not guess if this is a first or last name. x_x)

And I open it! And it's there! Hooray!!!!! :D
Field Researcher
#13 Old 21st Oct 2009 at 10:43 AM
Using Stubble and I like it a lot. Some suggestions: if possible, a find/replace function would be useful. And a possibility to copy several rows at once and paste them in excel or other programs. Maybe a search function to show all strings with a certain word in (ex. "career") for easier finding of the strings.
Scholar
#14 Old 22nd Oct 2009 at 1:18 PM
Very clever idea, Tiger
Banned
#15 Old 4th Jan 2010 at 6:47 AM
Well I simply love this, but I'm concerned about how to extract a single set of keys and strings, how would you go about doing that? or do you have to package as the whole entire in game texts?
Test Subject
#16 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 10:48 AM
Yes!
This is what I need you!

But I have a problem, I tried to translate from English into Arabic
It happened to me so
I think because the game does not support the Arabic language
So. If you know how to display the words in Arabic without (___ _ _)
Please tell me.
Thank you again.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#17 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 12:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by shatha
But I have a problem, I tried to translate from English into Arabic
It happened to me so
I think because the game does not support the Arabic language
So. If you know how to display the words in Arabic without (___ _ _)
Please tell me.
Thank you again.

Stubble (or the game itself, which uses UTF-8) might have an encoding issue with Arabic script. Unfortunately the creator of this tool hasn't logged into MTS for a while. There is a newer tool out called s3translate - perhaps you could try that one.
Test Subject
#18 Old 23rd Feb 2010 at 1:39 PM
Thank you for your reply
But the program does not work with me
I mean, not to show the data for I translated

Shatha
Field Researcher
#19 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 7:20 PM
Thanks a ton for this! Really saved me time from creating a completely new .STBL file for my needs.
Test Subject
#20 Old 26th Mar 2010 at 10:29 AM
Please tell me what should I do

Shatha
Field Researcher
#21 Old 27th Mar 2010 at 2:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by shatha
Please tell me what should I do

Shatha, for this to work, you need to actually know what you want to edit.

For example, let's say I make this TV Channel called "Family Fun Time". The ChannelName that the code references is called "FFT".

I would have to go under Gameplay>Excel>TVChannels and in the empty grid in the first coloumn I would enter in "FFT" and the next coloum I would enter in what I want the Pie menu to say, witch is "Family Fun Time".

You should take a look at my custom tv channel's tutorial at Chapter 3 since it tells you how to use Stubble.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 9th Jun 2010 at 5:26 PM
I made a mod with the help of this tool changing about EVERY string in the game. But with Ambitions installed, it is no longer working, probably because of the new gameplay.package?
Is there any way to copy the edited strings from my .package into a new file extracted from the ambitions' gameplay-package, or to get my file work in the expansion?

(Sorry if my english is bad, I am not a native speaker)
Tentacle Of Righteousness
#23 Old 9th Jun 2010 at 7:00 PM
@dear dori:
TigerM hasn't been online here since (Last Activity: 18th Sep 2009 03:37 AM)
Unfortunately...so this might not get updated.

Alt 255
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned
to a dead channel.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 11th Jun 2010 at 4:08 AM
Shame, it is so useful for text editing and it worked with World Adventures.
If I find a way to get my imported strings from existing text mods work with Ambitions, I will tell.
Test Subject
#25 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 10:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by channTL
Now that's an ingenious solution! Well done...I feel a bit stupid for asking but is there a download link for it?

ITS ON THE TOP BEFORE THE WRITING
Page 1 of 2